• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
Open a box and see the yellow, happy as fuck.

9z1VXX3.jpg

YOSPOS-puts-gun-to-head-guy-dancing-head-bopping-1411903135g.gif

TrueBlue

I know I've said this before, but I think I actually prefer Hollywood at night - it feels more, well, "Hollywood" for lack of a better term. Even after Halloween passes, I'd like to see a night/day thing implemented.

Also, has the update brought with it new/redome dialogue? Mercy seems to have new lines that I hadn't heard before.

LiK

I know I've said this before, but I think I actually prefer Hollywood at night - it feels more, well, "Hollywood" for lack of a better term. Even after Halloween passes, I'd like to see a night/day thing implemented.

Also, has the update brought with it new/redome dialogue? Mercy seems to have new lines that I hadn't heard before.

You just reminded me that I haven't seen Hollywood at all this week. I wanna see the new shit.

LiK

I bought a 50 and 24 pack and only managed to get three Legendaries and a bunch of the other new purple skins. Still missing Roadhog and Ana. Gonna keep playing and just buy the rest with coins. My luck with this even has been garbage. So far the level up loot boxes are giving me crap. My last box last night was all dupes.

LiK

I can't tonight, but I'd like to join you guys sometime in QP for trophies.

To be clear, no one in our group was actually trophy hunting. If we were they would be Zarya but sadly, no one was helping me last night. I was just trying to get my Hanzo Ult in and hoping for the best.

PatjuhR

To be clear, no one in our group was actually trophy hunting. If we were they would be Zarya but sadly, no one was helping me last night. I was just trying to get my Hanzo Ult in and hoping for the best.

Ah sorry, I read that wrong. Thought you said you wanted to play QP to get your trophies.

Never mind then, I only play QP for trophies. The amount of unattacked torrets, Bastions and sniper is to much for me to really play for the win.

TrueBlue

You just reminded me that I haven't seen Hollywood at all this week. I wanna see the new shit.

It's good stuff, they even play with the intro music and give it a "Psycho" vibe. I think I've heard McCree comment on the spooky makeover, but I'm not certain.

I also found out that both him and Mercy have lines in Eichenwalde that reference Junkenstein's Revenge:

Mercy: "I (or they? Her accent makes it difficult to know for certain) used to believe that witches lived in these woods. Ridiculous, isn't it?" (The playful tone really sells this line)

McCree: "I had the strangest dream about this place. There was a witch and a monster and...crazy, right?"

I love little details like this!

LiK

Ah sorry, I read that wrong. Thought you said you wanted to play QP to get your trophies.

Never mind then, I only play QP for trophies. The amount of unattacked torrets, Bastions and sniper is to much for me to really play for the win.

That's pretty much what I'm doing while I'm there. I only switch to my mains if I wanna win if the other group is stomping us early in the match.

I have been playing Overwatch pretty casually on/off, but I want to dip my toes in ranked play. Before I do that, I'd like to know about the ranked "meta" a bit.

For example, is voice chat expected or can I have it off? I'd like to have it off, but if everyone is expected to have it on, I'd like to know it before I get yelled at.

Are there any heroes that one should avoid using in ranked?

Am I taking this too seriously and I should treat it just like quick play?

I have been playing Overwatch pretty casually on/off, but I want to dip my toes in ranked play. Before I do that, I'd like to know about the ranked "meta" a bit.

For example, is voice chat expected or can I have it off? I'd like to have it off, but if everyone is expected to have it on, I'd like to know it before I get yelled at.

You can have voice chat off, especially if you're on consoles (because few people use mics there), but if you prefer you can do it on PC too of course. Nah, you can use any hero, but as you climb the ranks you'll find some characters less useful, but even at top-level play they're all being used (contrary to what some people on GAF thinks). And do take it more seriously than QP, yeah.

LiK

My main tips are:

1) Play it seriously.

2) Play your best hero. If they get picked by someone else, have alts that you're good with. (You can follow the metas online but if you suck with those heroes then you're being dead weight.)

3) Use voice chat at your own discretion.

You can have voice chat off, especially if you're on consoles (because few people use mics there), but if you prefer you can do it on PC too of course. Nah, you can use any hero, but as you climb the ranks you'll find some characters less useful, but even at top-level play they're all being used (contrary to what some people on GAF thinks). And do take it more seriously than QP, yeah.
My main tips are:

1) Play it seriously.

2) Play your best hero. If they get picked by someone else, have alts that you're good with. (You can follow the metas online but if you suck with those heroes then you're being dead weight.)

3) Use voice chat at your own discretion.

Cheers :)

I may have voice chat on, but with no mic. I'll try my best in ranked, and use QP to learn heroes etc before doing so. I never intended to screw around, I just wanted to gauge what kind of feeling the community has so I won't accidentally break the unwritten rules.

LiK

Cheers :)

I may have voice chat on, but with no mic. I'll try my best in ranked, and use QP to learn heroes etc before doing so. I never intended to screw around, I just wanted to gauge what kind of feeling the community has so I won't accidentally break the unwritten rules.

Have fun and don't let someone bully you into playing a hero you're not good with. You'll find some randoms to be extremely rude about it. If they use voice chat to berate you, just mute them. If they use text chat or (on consoles) send you shitty messages, just block them.

I've had my fair share of garbo messages from guys in S1 who didn't like me using Junk even tho I was doing well with him. Console players following PC pro metas. Pfft.

AbaFadi

Banned
Losing a game at 3900 SR is so brutal. I went from 3900 to 3860 in one loss. We were doing fine until someone on my team decides to instalock Zarya when we just won the first round of payload attack with me as Zarya. Also doesn't help that this guy's Zarya was pretty bad and never charged up at all.

Sometimes it's best to just instalock your best characters if you're confident you can do a good job. I instalock a lot and it has gotten me pretty far.

PatjuhR

Losing a game at 3900 SR is so brutal. I went from 3900 to 3860 in one loss. We were doing fine until someone on my team decides to instalock Zarya when we just won the first round of payload attack with me as Zarya. Also doesn't help that this guy's Zarya was pretty bad and never charged up at all.

Sometimes it's best to just instalock your best characters if you're confident you can do a good job. I instalock a lot and it has gotten me pretty far.

Holy shit, I never experienced that, but that sounds so frustrating.

LiK

Yup, nothing more frustrating in Comp than when someone takes your main and does worse with them.

Hey all, got a practical question I'm hoping somebody can help me with. I play on PS4 and I remapped my controls the other night so that jump is L3 instead of X, meaning that I can still aim while jumping. Now that I've gotten used to it, it's a huge help (especially for Lucio) and actually feels pretty natural.

My only concern is that L3 is not usually an input that is used as frequently as other buttons--should I be worried about causing undue/disproportionate wear on the mechanism of the button? Don't want to break my 20th anniversary controller for at least another couple of years. I appreciate any insight anyone might be able to provide. Thanks!

Hey all, got a practical question I'm hoping somebody can help me with. I play on PS4 and I remapped my controls the other night so that jump is L3 instead of X, meaning that I can still aim while jumping. Now that I've gotten used to it, it's a huge help (especially for Lucio) and actually feels pretty natural.

My only concern is that L3 is not usually an input that is used as frequently as other buttons--should I be worried about causing undue/disproportionate wear on the mechanism of the button? Don't want to break my 20th anniversary controller for at least another couple of years. I appreciate any insight anyone might be able to provide. Thanks!

Map jump to whatever the equivalent to LB is on the Xbox controller (L2 I think)? Then map his normal ability to X. Way easier that way and it essentially becomes Bumper Jumper.

mollipen

I probably wouldn't use L3. I've never broken a controller, but I have heard of the sticks showing clear wear from using L3/R3 too much. I have the same controller, and yeah, I wouldn't want it to end up unusable.

I personally prefer L1 for jumping, but that's me. *shrugs*

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man this brawl just makes me wish even more that the game had a full PVE mode. Doesn't even need to be a campaign, just build in a horde mode to add another way to have fun and level up when tired of playing PVP modes.

Map jump to whatever the equivalent to LB is on the Xbox controller (L2 I think)? Then map his normal ability to X. Way easier that way and it essentially becomes Bumper Jumper.

Unfortunately I want it remapped for all heroes, not just Lucio. The ability to aim while jumping gives an advantage, albeit slight, over players that use the default scheme. And L1 + aiming is more critical for some heroes.

Edit: or is it? I'm having trouble thinking of a counter example.

LiK

Man this brawl just makes me wish even more that the game had a full PVE mode. Doesn't even need to be a campaign, just build in a horde mode to add another way to have fun and level up when tired of playing PVP modes.

It needs to be permanent. Hopefully the community makes them listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom