• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just lose trust in the system when without any noticeable changes in your play you first climb from 2100 to 2500, maintain 2500 for 1-2 weeks and then suddenly start drop like a rock. Did skill of players suddenly skyrocket so much that what last night SR2500 worthy is now SR<2200 worthy? There is nothing to help me understand why such huge swings happen and why game "gives" me long streak of losses in order to "get me to right skill level".

Then there is just games where e.g. someone decides to practice his tracer that has 5min played in QP and 1h in Ranked or 1-2 Diamond carrying their Gold friend. Those are best ones for sure.
Like said above, quit saying it's all the games fault and try and improve your game. If your high was 2500, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.

gutshot

So I haven't played Overwatch since beta ended but I'm about to pick it up again. What are the big changes since then? I see they added a new hero and map since launch. Any big nerfs or buffs I should be aware of?

Any Roadhog players here have an addiction to trying to hook Tracer by predicting where she will dash to?

First time I did it, saw her coming at me from top right and I flicked and hooked towards the right just as she dashed and got her. FeelsGoodMan

J4g3r

I've never really played Mercy, but I'm sure as hell tempted to now...

lLvpkdl.png

EDIT:

I accidentally set the first screenshot quality to 9x, so have a 1440p x9 Mercy cut out:

Arrrammis

So I haven't played Overwatch since beta ended but I'm about to pick it up again. What are the big changes since then? I see they added a new hero and map since launch. Any big nerfs or buffs I should be aware of?

The new map and character are probably the biggest, one of the huge additions is the current weekly brawl, which is a PvE wave defense mode. There were a bunch of buffs and nerfs, but most are things like a character doing ~10% more damage with a given attack or things like Genji no longer being able to triple jump (previously he could jump, jump again, wall climb, and then jump a third time). There's a lot of meta that has changed, but it's best just to go in because pretty much everyone is viable at the moment.

Tovarisc

Like said above, quit saying it's all the games fault and try and improve your game. If your high was 2500, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.

There is difference between blaming the game and wanting to understand why it works like it does. I don't understand how and why ranked system allows so large swings in SR over so short period of time, or why how you have played for past weeks suddenly is so much less.

I would love to understand system and not feel frustrated with it.

There is difference between blaming the game and wanting to understand why it works like it does. I don't understand how and why ranked system allows so large swings in SR over so short period of time, or why how you have played for past weeks suddenly is so much less.

The large swings are called dumb luck. All games have this.

The large swings are called dumb luck. All games have this.

I can attest to this...in the last 2 days I've gone from 2278 to now 1808

Not because I somehow got worse in 2 days. Because I've lost 12 of my last 15 games from people quitting.

The previous 2 weeks I was between 21-2278.

Very frustrating indeed, but nothing I can really do.

ohkay

That's why. You can't look at it in the short term. There are going to be fluctuations if you look at a small enough time scale, but over time you will gravitate to your actual rank

And no one would ever question going from 2500->2800 but going to 2200 means the game is screwing you over. At any given time you could be ranked too high or too low, people only cry foul at one of those two though.

How are there Reinhardts who don't know they have a big shield and are supposed to protect their team?

Who knows man.

Also got my first Halloween legendary. Frankenstein Roadhog. Nice.

Nice get!

Hope I can get it soon myself. I got Junkenstein and Ghoul Ana so far...in like 13 boxes.

1 legendary in my last 33 drops, so I'm due again soon.

The first time I ever had this happen to me: I was playing solo as usual, until I realized that my team had 5 D.Va's.. lol. They all gestured to me and so I switched to D.Va as well and it was pretty much a gank fest and decisive win.

It felt nasty and I am fully aware that this is really bad when it happens to you. Do you guys see this type of thing often?

It finally happened, a team that actually changes up the composition when we're losing; with sensible choices. Down 0-2 on Ilios, and went Zenyatta to fill the 2nd support, came back in the end with the last round being very close to each other.

The freaking enemy Mercy getting resurrections faster than fans making bad art of her.

woolley

Was finally able to get out of my hole. Went from almost 2900 to 2500. Back up to 2820 after a few weeks in hell. The mstches ate much more enjoyable than the lower ranked games.

Tovarisc

That's why. You can't look at it in the short term. There are going to be fluctuations if you look at a small enough time scale, but over time you will gravitate to your actual rank

I would like to get extended season, like 5-6 months. Would be interesting to see development of SR over actually long period of time instead of quite fast 3 month blocks. Going up and down by e.g. 400SR over a week is very drastic movement over so short period of time, one of things people complained about during Season 1 too. Ranks going up and down constantly and even a lots.

And no one would ever question going from 2500->2800 but going to 2200 means the game is screwing you over. At any given time you could be ranked too high or too low, people only cry foul at one of those two though.

People are more okay with streaks of luck than bad luck, how it tends to be. Still you can usually tell if you are getting lucky with streak of too easy games. Those lucky streaks often result in bloated SR. If climb has been over time and then period of maintaining then sudden and hard falls in SR can feel unfairer than it maybe is. Personally I wish game gave better and/or more statistics about your skill as player in relation to others so one could better understand why SR changes so much up and down over short periods of time.

Zeliard

Anyone else here getting that really shitty Illios bug where it gets stuck on the loading screen and you're forced to quit? 3 in a row now, and it's not only lost SR but accumulative bans. I'm now banned for 30 minutes and it's just going to get worse if I keep queuing up for that map.

One of the worst bugs I've ever come across, since it literally impedes you from playing.

Gorillaz

just had a comp game that went to game 5 they had the momentum coming back from a 0-2 to tie it up in 2 back to back

In the loading screen for game 5.....game just crashes...not just for me but ALL OF US

Scrambled so fast to get back in the match, mind you this is a straight up random 6 vs random 6 so I figured it was over after that. Came back all 6 of us were back in and only 4 of them made it back in everyone quick picked a fast character and juck locked down the Liang Tower (open garden) spot fast as we could. Won it after a few back and forth but I would honestly be pissed if I was the other team.

Blizz hopefully doesn't punish people when shit like that happen.

So I've got epic skins for Soldier 76, Hanzo, Pharah, and legendary for Roadhog. All without spending any real money or credits. Best part is that I'm level 209 so I've got some pretty easy leveling to come.

I'm gonna wait until the last day, and if I don't have it by then, I'm gonna spend credits on Mercy' legendary.

Was finally able to get out of my hole. Went from almost 2900 to 2500. Back up to 2820 after a few weeks in hell. The mstches ate much more enjoyable than the lower ranked games.

Sub 2000 is an erratic mess with people blatantly ignoring the objective.

Having just dropped down to 1800 it seems like the depths of hell...I wish this on no one.

Just had a match with a Mercy Power Boosted Hanzo who I'm 99% sure had to be a Mouse/Keyboard player.

I think I have PTSD. We only won because of a lucky ass ult and Ana grenade combo

Had a team of 5 platinum players including myself (so the usual) and one out of place silver being dragged along as part of a duo, plays an ineffective Torb all defense long and then attack Junkrat.
So I guess that might be a glimpse at what goes down in the silver doldrums, my condolences to anyone stuck down there.

Had a team of 5 platinum players including myself (so the usual) and one out of place silver being dragged along as part of a duo, plays an ineffective Torb all defense long and then attack Junkrat.
So I guess that might be a glimpse at what goes down in the silver doldrums, my condolences to anyone stuck down there.

Yeah. When I was in the 2800-2900s I had some Gold/Silver ranked matches on occasions. Some of those players are just terrible, like worse than the average quick play terrible, like running Torbjorn and Bastion and Widowmaker on Attack terrible. Even some Platinum players don't deserve their rank I have seen.

Ever since I broke above the 3k range the match quality has been 10x better, and it feels much harder to lose rank as well even with randoms. About to break into the 3400s now just from solo queue (So far 3-0 tonight)

And agreed on the Capture maps. I hate getting them so much in competitive, especially Illos. It feels like the matches always turn out the same. You either steamroll, get steamrolled, or have a long ass 3-2 match that was won because the other team had a better composition or a lucky ult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom