• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
plays an ineffective Torb all defense long and then attack Junkrat.

Mind you I'm a baddie, but whats wrong with attack junkrat? He puts out a good bit of damage if you can actually aim/arc grenades, and seems pretty good at knocking out turrets/bastions as well.

Had a team of 5 platinum players including myself (so the usual) and one out of place silver being dragged along as part of a duo, plays an ineffective Torb all defense long and then attack Junkrat.
So I guess that might be a glimpse at what goes down in the silver doldrums, my condolences to anyone stuck down there.

I've carried several games with my Junkrat on attack and KotH. :/

Blizzard

Banned
I'm late to the patch notes party, but:

"Raised the volume of Hanzo's Dragonstrike voice line while wearing the Okami/Lone Wolf Skin"

FREAKING FINALLY

I'm late to the patch notes party, but:

"Raised the volume of Hanzo's Dragonstrike voice line while wearing the Okami/Lone Wolf Skin"

FREAKING FINALLY
But it sounds ridiculously stupid now. I don't see how it was a big deal before?

Like, if you were having problems hearing it, you weren't paying much attention to the sounds of the game in the first place because it wasn't that hard to hear.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mind you I'm a baddie, but whats wrong with attack junkrat? He puts out a good bit of damage if you can actually aim/arc grenades, and seems pretty good at knocking out turrets/bastions as well.

Because he's unreliable damage. Even the best ones. Seagull is pretty damn good at junk but he barely brings it out even for defense.

When you get at a level where people stop running straight at him his projectiles are the easiest to avoid unless he has a chokepoint to work with.

And every dps is good at knocking out bastion or turrets.

Roadhog, reaper and mccree are all just as good at taking out rein Sirius while being more useful.

Blizzard

Banned
But it sounds ridiculously stupid now. I don't see how it was a big deal before?

Like, if you were having problems hearing it, you weren't paying much attention to the sounds of the game in the first place because it wasn't that hard to hear.
It was just an annoyance before because it was objectively harder to hear than the normal Hanzo ult, meaning there was a tangible gameplay advantage to using those skins. And pretty much every Hanzo used those skins.

It's not the worst thing ever but say you're pushing a payload on attack I just don't see the real benefit of using Junk over other damage dealers.
His cooldown related tools are good for defense as you lay them down in places you expect flankers or the oppsing team to push down, when you're on the attack however that angle is pretty much gone.
When on these maps most of the fights take place in more open areas reducing the effectiveness of his grenade spam as well.

Plus then there's the whole giving healers ult problem that comes from him not being able to finish off opponents, especially when attacking a fortified defense at range
You can make Junk work on attack but it's one of those cases where I think you have to be really good as him to warrant it.

I've carried several games with my Junkrat on attack and KotH. :/
I ain't about to knock him on KotH, everyone grouped together in small spaces? works well for him there.

It was just an annoyance before because it was objectively harder to hear than the normal Hanzo ult, meaning there was a tangible gameplay advantage to using those skins. And pretty much every Hanzo used those skins.
If there is any advantage, it is very, very small because I've never had a harder time hearing the wolf compared to the dragon.

xaosslug

this is only because you were used to the other way, like the peeps campaigning for Blizz to roll the way Mercy says 'cake' back xD

the new way is gonna take some getting used to. Teammates are actually dying from it, now. LOL

If there is any advantage, it is very, very small because I've never had a harder time hearing the wolf compared to the dragon.

It was very rare, but there were a couple occasions where I actually couldn't hear him activate it. Like when the whole team was talking or a bunch of ults were going off at once, and it was only an issue with the wolf skins.

People calling Winston weaker than Dva.

wut

Well, I mean, it is true in kind of a literal sense. Like, D.Va vs Winston is pretty much a 10-0 matchup.

messiaen

I really enjoy this game, but holy shit... The community is so frustrating to deal with. I feel like I get someone leaving my game almost every other match. Happened six out of ten matches today. Is anybody else's experience this bad? I'm in gold league btw, half of my placement matches had people leave on my team.

Why doesn't Blizzard do something about this...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really enjoy this game, but holy shit... The community is so frustrating to deal with. I feel like I get someone leaving my game almost every other match. Happened six out of ten matches today. Is anybody else's experience this bad? I'm in gold league btw, half of my placement matches had people leave on my team.

The most disappointing aspect of Overwatch is nothing to do with the actual game and everything to do with the game's community being more of the League and Hearthstone/WoW community rather than the TF2 community.

cyborg009

Banned
all of the maps in OW are pretty shitty tbh

look nice though

But Kings Row.....

Here is your answer ^ best map and best music too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKZUpbydNo

My KOTH win % is probably like 75%

Tracer <3

I had monster games on Ellios with tracer.

A good junkrat shouldn't look at their damage numbers, they should look at their finishing blows numbers.

Exactly i had so many Junkrat players think that they were carrying us because they had gold in damage. Like NO SHIT your junkrat!

Yes, ps4 gold tier is a quitters paradise in my experience.

Lulz, their remedy is...letting you leave with a loss and a SR hit...much appreciated Blizzard.

MUnited83

For you.

While I'm not having as many quitters as you, it does get pretty frustrating. Especially because there's a large part of them that quit in the very first round just because they lost the first point a little bit too quickly. It's ridiculous.

messiaen

The most disappointing aspect of Overwatch is nothing to do with the actual game and everything to do with the game's community being more of the League and Hearthstone/WoW community rather than the TF2 community.
Yes, ps4 gold tier is a quitters paradise in my experience.
It's really sad. The actual game is probably the most fun I've had with a shooter since... TF2 or Halo 3. But jeez, even Halo 3's community wasn't this bad and I remember having my fair share of bad people in Halo.

Finding a solution to this issue shouldn't be that difficult. Two problems are the penalty for people leaving, and how to remedy the team they left. Shoudn't be that hard, if they leave x amount of games, they get a temp ban. If they leave another after coming back within x amount of time, the temp ban is longer. And really helping the team they left... If someone joins and it's still the first match, they get full points and every match after that just a percentage based on the number of matches. It really shouldn't be that difficult for Blizzard. They've been so strict with cheating, this in a way is cheating.

While I'm not having as many quitters as you, it does get pretty frustrating. Especially because there's a large part of them that quit in the very first round just because they lost the first point a little bit too quickly. It's ridiculous.
More often than not, that's what happens to me too. I've also had people just randomly quit; we actually won the first round--other team didn't get a single point--person left. Like what? Is it some kind of troll I'm not aware of?

Antiwhippy

Not related to junkrat or anything, but people in this game seem to think they carry more than they actually do.

So i kinda don't like it when people keeps taking about carrying?

Ana's a blast to play as, even if I haven't found the right sensitivity for scoped aiming (
let alone won a single game with her
) yet.

Not related to junkrat or anything, but people in this game Seng to think they carry more than they actually do.

That post I made where I mentioned that I've carried games as Junkrat before was the very single first time I've EVER brought up that I was carrying anything in any Overwatch-related medium, not limited to NeoGAF.
So can you please tell me where I "keep talking" so much about carrying?

My point wasn't even that I carried, my point was that Junkrat on attack isn't necessarily bad.

That post I made where I mentioned that I've carried games as Junkrat before was the very single first time I've EVER brought up that I was carrying anything in any Overwatch-related medium, not limited to NeoGAF.

My point wasn't even that I carried, my point was that Junkrat on attack isn't necessarily bad.
Dude, you seem to get real freaked out when people disagree with you, like when people were talking about Junk earlier, because that wasn't even aimed at you, which is why he said "people" as in multiple people, not just you.

Also, you did say carrying with Junkrat, so......

MUnited83

For you.
It's really sad. The actual game is probably the most fun I've had with a shooter since... TF2 or Halo 3. But jeez, even Halo 3's community wasn't this bad and I remember having my fair share of bad people in Halo.

Finding a solution to this issue shouldn't be that difficult. Two problems are the penalty for people leaving, and how to remedy the team they left. Shoudn't be that hard, if they leave x amount of games, they get a temp ban. If they leave another after coming back within x amount of time, the temp ban is longer. And really helping the team they left... If someone joins and it's still the first match, they get full points and every match after that just a percentage based on the number of matches. It really shouldn't be that difficult for Blizzard. They've been so strict with cheating, this in a way is cheating.

More often than not, that's what happens to me too. I've also had people just randomly quit; we actually won the first round--other team didn't get a single point--person left. Like what? Is it some kind of troll I'm not aware of?
Random quits might be connection issues. I know I had my fair share of them and rarely can I boot the game on time again to get reconnected. They really should make the reconnection window bigger.

Antiwhippy

That's why i said it's not related to junkrat specifically, i meant it more in the general sense. If I'm specifying someone I'll specify them.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to this community. People talk about carrying too much when it probably isn't the case.

Veelk

Banned
Still trying to play a little Widow in QP. I honestly don't know why I bother. The only teams I can do well against are teams I'd be easily dominating with any other character.

Tovarisc

Random quits might be connection issues. I know I had my fair share of them and rarely can I boot the game on time again to get reconnected. They really should make the reconnection window bigger.

October 11th patch;
  • Players who leave or are disconnected from a competitive match can now rejoin anytime while the match is still in progress
  • Teammates of a disconnected player can now exit a match after 2 minutes have elapsed (formerly 1 minute), and they will not receive a leaver penalty. However, they will receive a loss
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749875377

willsimth1, game gives you XP penalties and temp bans depending on how much and frequently leave games. Season long ban from season also is as "price" at the end of that route.

Got my Hanzo quad-kill trophy today, thanks to a Mercy.

Dorado in comp on attack, half of my team quit so I picked Hanzo for fun, built my ult and use a sonic arrow to see where the enemy was and thankfully there were 3 of them right by the door waiting to ambush us. Dragonstrike from behind and their Mercy revived 2 of them while the dragon was still passing by. Thank you!

That's why i said it's not related to junkrat specifically, i meant it more in the general sense. If I'm specifying someone I'll specify them.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to this community. People talk about carrying too much when it probably isn't the case.

It's fine, I misinterpreted you and probably overreacted to it, but your statements seemed more like a "I'm not naming anyone in particular, but there's a braggart around here, lads" to me than anything else.

messiaen

Haven't they done quite a number of intrusive things to scan computers for potential cheating software? (I know my friend got banned and he wasn't even using any cheating software, but he had old software installed for like Runescape or something(?) and he got banned.) There should be a way for them to implement if there's a connection/software error or if the player actually quit the game. Some sort of logging actions.

Edit:
October 11th patch;
  • Players who leave or are disconnected from a competitive match can now rejoin anytime while the match is still in progress
  • Teammates of a disconnected player can now exit a match after 2 minutes have elapsed (formerly 1 minute), and they will not receive a leaver penalty. However, they will receive a loss
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749875377

willsimth1, game gives you XP penalties and temp bans depending on how much and frequently leave games. Season long ban from season also is as "price" at the end of that route.

That's some progress. Still think the more glaring issue is the team that's left behind. Glad you pointed that out though, thanks.

Lol in a 3400 range match. Guy picks Hanzo on Offense on Kings Row, instantly a top 300 player says "I'm going to judge every single move you make Hanzo".

I pray this guy doesnt gate keep me from Masters rank, 10 points to go

It's amazing how we finally have two defense heroes that are viable, Hanzo and Mei, and yet they are all that the forums want to be nerfed.

That's great. Great. Just great. Awesome. Just.....great.
these forums are making me go insane ;_;

Chance

Not related to junkrat or anything, but people in this game seem to think they carry more than they actually do.

I've only ever claimed to have carried once. I've had a lot of hot-shit games as Mercy, like 50% healing done, 10+ rezzes, but I know those would've been losses without great DPS and tanks. It's rare to feel like you've carried as a support.

But once I was being the good little healer, going Lucio on Lijiang tower in (upper gold) comp. Lucio was not working. The team wasn't grouping up, they were always splitting off and leaving me alone with the (lone) tank and we were getting rolled hard.

In round 2 I switched to Mercy in desperation, hoping to find an effective DPS to pocket to make a meaningful difference. I couldn't make a meaningful difference, and was the only one who tried to get on the point when it went to overtime (the lone Mercy went dowwwn.)

Then, our lone tank switched to Reaper. I switched to Tracer. And I carried. Well, to be more accurate, I and a Soldier carried it - but if the elims are anything to go by, given that I was support for the first two rounds, I carried that shit.

This is on PS4 btw.

https://youtu.be/ATAtnf62kaI

Felt awesome.
a2d.jpg

Owzers

I've gotten very few skins from my 35+ boxes yet I manage to get dupes. Only have rein and pharah epics so it's time for a second rein. That's fine.

Fuck yes, Masters rank. Goal 1 achieved. Now for the top 500.

Also was pretty hilarious hearing "GOD DAMMIT HANZO" every time he did something wrong, even though he was on fire like all the 2nd round.

A good junkrat shouldn't look at their damage numbers, they should look at their finishing blows numbers.

Mm... Not really. I'm a former top 10 competitive Junker in the world. The damage is the most important. He should be lobbing shit and throwing damage out there for the rest of the team to grab final blows.

If a Junkrat doesn't have gold damage just about every damn game, then they're not particularly good at their job, honestly. Having gold damage lets me know that I'm doing my part. If I have gold elims, and there's an offensive hero on my team, it's letting me know that they aren't doing their job.

messiaen

If Junkrat is getting more kills than the rest of the team then I'd think something is wrong with the rest of the team! If he pushes forward too much a wild Mei will get him pretty easily! I can't tell you how many Junkrats that have pushed forward too much that I've sniped with Mei. Mei is really the only defensive character that can get away with pushing forward a lot and getting tons of kills. Of course Bastion can get tons of kills too, but if he pushes forward he'll die in an instant.

Chance

If Junkrat is getting more kills than the rest of the team then I'd think something is wrong with the rest of the team! If he pushes forward too much a wild Mei will get him pretty easily! I can't tell you how many Junkrats that have pushed forward too much that I've sniped with Mei. Mei is really the only defensive character that can get away with pushing forward a lot and getting tons of kills. Of course Bastion can get tons of kills too, but if he pushes forward he'll die in an instant.

I discovered on Hollywood last week that I tend to push way too hard as Mei on offense. But she just won't die!

And then I wonder why my team isn't following up on my freezes for easy kills and where is everyone okay now I'm dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom