• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

messiaen

I discovered on Hollywood last week that I tend to push way too hard as Mei on offense. But she just won't die!

And then I wonder why my team isn't following up on my freezes for easy kills and where is everyone okay now I'm dead.
Hollywood is probably the hardest map to play on as Mei offensively. She slays on defense there though. I normally chill behind Reinhardt until we pass the chock point. Depending on the map though, sometimes I'll sneak past the other team and go in behind, hoping to snipe their healer and support, then hopefully help sandwich the tanks and more offensive players.

She's pretty relentless on offense. I don't get why so many people ask me to switch from her; I get gold in eliminations with her more often than not. Unless you find yourself in a tough 2v1 situation she can take out anyone, even the tanks. Yeah, I'm the same. Waiting for your team to get back is brutal, but if you use her specials you can survive sometimes, if the stars align!

I played a few quick play matches with two Meis--was more deadly than I thought it would be!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mm... Not really. I'm a former top 10 competitive Junker in the world. The damage is the most important. He should be lobbing shit and throwing damage out there for the rest of the team to grab final blows.

If a Junkrat doesn't have gold damage just about every damn game, then they're not particularly good at their job, honestly. Having gold damage lets me know that I'm doing my part. If I have gold elims, and there's an offensive hero on my team, it's letting me know that they aren't doing their job.

But that's the thing though, and the problem with junkrat right now, is that they can lay down the damage but there's way too much healing going on right now to actually convert if you yourself don't go for the killing blows.

Hell, ana can just throw down a grenade, lucio heal amp at the group and negate every work junkrat did. Plus you just provided a Nanoboost.

Which is why i think junkrats should look out more for killing blows now because if you are junkrat you are dps.

The thing about the current meta is that damage without picks is pretty much just feeding.

Just had an enjoyable match.

First round got yelled at for playing Zarya and the team dying too much (Winston kept yelling at me for bubbles, which I did every single time he leaped in).

Second round play Reaper and get yelled at for not killing enough (Even though I got their Zen/Lucio a handful of times by myself).

Somehow the Mercy didnt get shit despite the fact she sat on her ult for the entire last points.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mm... Not really. I'm a former top 10 competitive Junker in the world. The damage is the most important. He should be lobbing shit and throwing damage out there for the rest of the team to grab final blows.

If a Junkrat doesn't have gold damage just about every damn game, then they're not particularly good at their job, honestly. Having gold damage lets me know that I'm doing my part. If I have gold elims, and there's an offensive hero on my team, it's letting me know that they aren't doing their job.

Damage to a hero means very little unless it leads to a kill. If it leads to a kill, you'll get the elim. Even a dumbass junkrat who's bad at their job can get gold damage. You can throw shit at a Reinhardt shield or Mei wall and get points towards damage and it means basically nothing. Junkrat has huge burst damage potential so it's not like it's impossible for him to confirm kills.

Veelk

Banned
Also, I know Sprays don't get much love around here, but you have to admit that all these halloween ones are adorable. Even Soldier's isn't awful (his costume is though).

darklin0

Banned
Also, I know Sprays don't get much love around here, but you have to admit that all these halloween ones are adorable. Even Soldier's isn't awful (his costume is though).

Soldiers is one of the best epic skins, I don't understand the unwarranted hate. ]:
THRILLER-thriller-15876106-650-1164.jpg

GG Vault.

Those games were oh, so close. We should've won that second game if that guy didn't DC. Blah.

Oh well, at least the randoms we had on mic were cool.

Don't sweat it. I shouldn't of switched to Roadhog off of Genji. I couldn't hook shit till the very end.

GG Vault.

Those games were oh, so close. We should've won that second game if that guy didn't DC. Blah.

Oh well, at least the randoms we had on mic were cool.

Don't sweat it. I shouldn't of switched to Roadhog off of Genji. I couldn't hook shit till the very end.
Yea that first one could have gone either way, and I really thought we had that second one. Oh well. Now I'll be due for a bit of luck tomorrow.

Redmoon

Won't be long now till I bring my D.Va up to par with my other good hero's. Also got her "get 4k+ with your Self destruct" achievement twice in a 24 hour period along with a bunch of 3k's, so I'm getting these good ults secured with her slowly :p .

Glad I found a tank I like playing and am getting better at, even if she could use some slight buff adjustments from blizz. After I feel comfortable taking her into comp, my main goal of being capable in all hero categories will be complete. It'll have only taken since closed beta to do this, but better late than never ;)

ohkay

I really hate some people that play this game. Had a dude constantly complaining that we were losing, that we weren't protecting him (he was playing Torb), and that he was our "carry." We ended up winning and he claimed he had gold kills and damage, but the cards at the end said otherwise, which were all our team and none of them were him.

sikkinixx

The emote things should really change as the game ends so I can say "good game!" Or something instead of everyone mashing Hello! Understood! Thanks!

Chance

The emote things should really change as the game ends so I can say "good game!" Or something instead of everyone mashing Hello! Understood! Thanks!

I always kinda' felt like "thanks" was sayin' the same thing at the end of a game, when you win. Like "thank you for playing so well."

Efficiently, it also says what people want to tell me at the end of a game when we lose. But fuck those guys.

Guys guys, I FINALLY got a Halloween skin, it's ... Tombstone Bastion. Oh. :c

Soldiers is one of the best epic skins, I don't understand the unwarranted hate. ]:

The Thriller outfit is a great reference, but they should've given him a more pronounced face (like in that image you posted), and they also should've given him a Thriller dance emote (instead of the Reinhardt pumpkin smash).

Guy complains we're the worst players he's ever witnessed after half a competitive round and says he's going AFK the rest of the match. We end up winning without him and he tells us to go kill ourselves. Thumbs up.

I don't like this event's sprays all that much admittedly, and I liked the Olympic discipline ones a lot more (actually genuinely sad I didn't get Golfer 76 spray). The only one that got an "aww" outta me was Ana's (where she carries kid Pharah), and D.Va's got a chuckle out of me because of the reference to the cardboard cosplay photo that had been floating around. I'm not really a fan of children and don't find them to be adorable most of the time, so neither do these sprays.
That said, I love the general sprays. The Bats, Boo/Boop and Pumpkin sprays are great!

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of this event's cosmetics overall. There's a few cool skins and Mei's highlight intro is adorable as shit, but otherwise I feel a lot less inclined towards wanting all the stuff in this event than the Summer Games.

ExcelTronic

While I enjoy the competitive mode for this game, I feel as no matter how hard I try, I always get derogatory feedback in messages and voice chat from other players on my team. I main Torbjorn and in EVERY game there is always something negative. Lately many people have also "supposedly" started reporting me through Blizzard's website. I have no idea what that means, anything I should be worried about?

LiK

Ugh, MarkMan promoted the Hori keyboard/mouse PS4 thing on Twitter and mentioned it would be great for Overwatch. I don't need anymore of those players cheating on consoles.

Swear Master/Top 500 players seem just as stubborn as low levels about not wanting to change their classes. Had to pull the "We can have 2 healers, or a Torbjorn" card quite a few times tonight already.

Owzers

While I enjoy the competitive mode for this game, I feel as no matter how hard I try, I always get derogatory feedback in messages and voice chat from other players on my team. I main Torbjorn and in EVERY game there is always something negative. Lately many people have also "supposedly" started reporting me through Blizzard's website. I have no idea what that means, anything I should be worried about?
You're fine, if people start getting on your nerves tell them your next best character is Hanzo, they'll tell you to stay Torb.

LiK

Blizzard isn't going to ban you for maining a character the community doesn't like. Mute/block the player messages and just play whatever you want. If they're super abusive in text chat, you can report them instead and the mods can actually check the chat logs.

YOU have the power.

HiiiLife

Fuck em.

ExcelTronic

You're fine, if people start getting on your nerves tell them your next best character is Hanzo, they'll tell you to stay Torb.

Blizzard isn't going to ban you for maining a character the community doesn't like. Mute/block the player messages and just play whatever you want. If they're super abusive in text chat, you can report them instead and the mods can actually check the chat logs.

YOU have the power.

Thank you for responses! And it is certainly good to know I have the power.

I'm trying to get better with Winston on PS4 but since his leap distance/height is so dependent on where the cursor is it's annoying with a controller. May adjust his sensitivity to reflect that, especially since I don't exactly need precision aiming for him.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I spent 2-4 hours (I wasn't counting) total playing Widowmaker after Widowmaker in every match, just to see how much the new aiming helps. It helps a lot. I feel it's significantly easier to line up shots than it was before.

Which doesn't mean it's easy. In fact, it made me realize that the real problem of Widowmaker isn't aiming. Atleast not totally.

Lets take Zenyatta vs Widowmaker. Zenny is slow and has no direct way of evading. Yet I lost a surprising amount of long distance matches with him. And this is for a few reasons, which made me realize why no one can use Widowmaker right.

1. Evasion. Zenny is a slow character, but he's actually faster than Widowmaker's scoped in stance. Meaning that he can weave and bob back and forth and jump, Widow is actually stuck to her single place. Which means it's actually easier for Zenny to hit her than it is for her to hit Zenny and not just because he can move more, but....

2. Her bullet is TINY. I haven't done a full test of this, but her hitscan weapon feels comparatively small to Zenny's big orbs. Widowmaker has to actually be more precise than he does because Zenyatta's attack is more likely to hit than Widowmaker's.

3. Speed of fire. This is the big one. Zenny ran rapid fire instantly, like most characters. Widowmaker has to charge her shots up every time. So by the time Widowmaker gets off one shot, Zenyatta just fired off his third.

People bitch about Symmetra being broken or how Pharah is worthless as soon as theirs a McCree on the field, but they can atleast fulfill their roles. The only thing I learned about playing Widowmaker after a few hours is that there non-sniper characters make better snipers than her. It's no wonder that she's not even used on PC, the platform she was designed for. She has no reason to exist. Even if you are a human aimbot that can get headshot after headshot...well, then yeah, you'll wreck the enemy team, but then you can wreck the enemy team even more efficiently with McCree.

So this confirmed to me that Widowmaker doesn't need a buff to her damage so much as have her other abilities reworked. She needs to be able to do something other than snipe, because while it can be efficient with good aiming skills, it's not some unique feature that only she brings to the table. I'd go as far as to suggest that she needs a flat out new ability of some sort.

Okay, I spent 2-4 hours (I wasn't counting) total playing Widowmaker after Widowmaker in every match, just to see how much the new aiming helps. It helps a lot. I feel it's significantly easier to line up shots than it was before.

Which doesn't mean it's easy. In fact, it made me realize that the real problem of Widowmaker isn't aiming. Atleast not totally.

Lets take Zenyatta vs Widowmaker. Zenny is slow and has no direct way of evading. Yet I lost a surprising amount of long distance matches with him. And this is for a few reasons, which made me realize why no one can use Widowmaker right.

1. Evasion. Zenny is a slow character, but he's actually faster than Widowmaker's scoped in stance. Meaning that he can weave and bob back and forth and jump, Widow is actually stuck to her single place. Which means it's actually easier for Zenny to hit her than it is for her to hit Zenny and not just because he can move more, but....

2. Her bullet is TINY. I haven't done a full test of this, but her hitscan weapon feels comparatively small to Zenny's big orbs. Widowmaker has to actually be more precise than he does because Zenyatta's attack is more likely to hit than Widowmaker's.

3. Speed of fire. This is the big one. Zenny ran rapid fire instantly, like most characters. Widowmaker has to charge her shots up every time. So by the time Widowmaker gets off one shot, Zenyatta just fired off his third.

People bitch about Symmetra being broken or how Pharah is worthless as soon as theirs a McCree on the field, but they can atleast fulfill their roles. The only thing I learned about playing Widowmaker after a few hours is that there non-sniper characters make better snipers than her.

The only way to really succeed with her is if you are able to get headshot after headshot. If you are a human aimbot, then she will wreck the enemy team. But if you're a human aimbot, you have better options anyway.

yup, I'd say she's currently the worst hero in the game

Hanzo outclasses her in every aspect (he has a spammable ability that almost fulfills her ult for crying out loud) and even Ana can usually be a better sniper than Widow plus she has actual support

If I was tasked with redesigning Widow I'd do it from the ground up.

- Remove the charging entirely, it's a neat idea but in practice it doesn't work in this game. Instead make her have a fast firing semi-auto sniper but with a little more damage than her 0% charge does, maybe 30% or something idk.

- cut the grappling hook CD down drastically. This combined with the previous change means now she can swing around the map, scope in, get a few shots and change positions with ease

- increase the total damage of venom mine drastically but reduce its DPS. This would lead to a cool thing where if you walk over it you'd need to find a health pack or a healer to survive it, but you'd have a little bit of time. It would basically be a poison debuff, idk

- change her ult so it does something in addition to scanning people. Flat 10-15% damage bonus to enemies who are outlined seems like an easy choice but I'm sure someone could think of something that's better than that

Antiwhippy

People bitch about Symmetra being broken or how Pharah is worthless as soon as theirs a McCree on the field, but they can atleast fulfill their roles. The only thing I learned about playing Widowmaker after a few hours is that there non-sniper characters make better snipers than her. It's no wonder that she's not even used on PC, the platform she was designed for. She has no reason to exist. Even if you are a human aimbot that can get headshot after headshot...well, then yeah, you'll wreck the enemy team, but then you can wreck the enemy team even more efficiently with McCree.

She is used on pc though.

Pro league from last night.

https://www.twitch.tv/ognglobal/v/94840815?t=1h0m0s

Veelk

Banned
She is used on pc though.

Pro league from last night.

https://www.twitch.tv/ognglobal/v/94840815?t=1h0m0s

I mean, I can't speak for pro players, but my assessment was basically this: If you can somehow consistently land headshot after headshot, then you're going to dominate as Widowmaker. That much I can give her.

My point is, anything less than that and she can outright lose non-sniper characters just because they can fire more rapidly and evade more easily. I feel that shouldn't happen, I feel that Widowmaker should have a distinct advantage in long range OR have some kind of abilities that put her on more even terms when it's close combat. As is, if you're not PERFECT with her aiming, she's a pure liability. And if you're so good as to land headshots with such consistency, I'd say you'd be better off playing something like McCree who you can do greater DPS and have abilties beyond sniping.

And keep in mind that I play consoles. Even if you make the argument that aiming is all you need, that only applies to PC. With a gamepad, widowmaker NEEDS something else because the kind of precise aiming required is impossible.

Also, isn't Widowmaker F tier in terms of picks?

Edit: yeah dude, the shots in that video are NOT happening on console lol. Not a chance.

Antiwhippy

this is my second time watching overwatch pro gameplay, first time in english

this would be much more enjoyable without the commentary

The 2 in the video are more known for commentating lol, so i don't think they have the chops for overwatch yet. There are some careers I've really enjoyed though, like zp and jason kaplan (unrelated).

Antiwhippy

I mean, I can't speak for pro players, but my assessment was basically this: If you can somehow consistently land headshot after headshot, then you're going to dominate as Widowmaker. That much I can give her.

My point is, anything less than that and she can outright lose non-sniper characters just because they can fire more rapidly and evade more easily. I feel that shouldn't happen, I feel that Widowmaker should have a distinct advantage in long range OR have some kind of abilities that put her on more even terms when it's close combat. As is, if you're not PERFECT with her aiming, she's a pure liability. And if you're so good as to land headshots with such consistency, I'd say you'd be better off playing something like McCree who you can do greater DPS and have abilties beyond sniping.

And keep in mind that I play consoles. Even if you make the argument that aiming is all you need, that only applies to PC. With a gamepad, widowmaker NEEDS something else because the kind of precise aiming required is impossible.

Also, isn't Widowmaker F tier in terms of picks?

Well that was before her buff, not that i expect it to change much (hopefully it doesn't).

I mean your assessment isn't wrong, but you are discounting one thing: she's a one hit kill for every character that isn't a tank from all ranges.

Like she's not ideal for every map and situation like she used to be, but for maps where she can get a clean sightline for most of the battlefield without being contested unless the enemy team go out of their way to shut her down, she's really good.

Example includes attack on anubis and king's row. King's row especially because she can shut down over half of point a just from spawn.

But yeah, for consoles i dunno.

Animator

You sound like the bad player nobody wants on their team for good reason. Try not to "main" a character. Torb is a extremely situational character that is super easily countered in any decent comp bracket. Especially if the enemy team has a Zarya where your turret keeps her at max charge all the time and is a detriment to your team.

Do NOT main characters in overwatch. You have to be able to switch to a character depending on what the enemy team comp is. Are you playing Torb on attack too?

I wish I could aim straight with Genji on any feasible level.

I've just accepted that I'll never get good with Genji. Also have trouble with Pharah which is odd because I'm on console and am generally pretty good when it comes to rocket launchers (was my main weapon when I played DOOM 2016 mp and I've played a lot of quake/tribes)

Veelk

Banned
Well that was before her buff, not that i expect it to change much (hopefully it doesn't).

I mean your assessment isn't wrong, but you are discounting one thing: she's a one hit kill for every character that isn't a tank from all ranges.

Like she's not ideal for every map and situation like she used to be, but for maps where she can get a clean sightline for most of the battlefield without being contested unless the enemy team go out of their way to shut her down, she's really good.

Example includes attack on hanamura and king's row. King's row especially because she can shut down over half of point a just from spawn.

But yeah, for consoles i dunno.
Well, like I said, I totally agree with you that that is her strength, if she gets the headshot, the fight ends there. But if she doesn't land that, she's worthless. She's a ridiculously all or nothing characters with almost no advantages except for that one single thing.

I feel a good way to illustrate her purpose in the game, and why it fails, is to compare her to bastion. Okay, Bastion has his turret mode, that also ends characters pretty instantly if they find themselves unlucky enough to be in his line of fire. To counter that, Bastion is extremely easily flanked and destroyed.

But the key differences are Bastion's field of view is pretty wide and he has a stream of bullets, meaning if someone gets into his line of fire, there's a fairly good chance that he'll win unless they act fast. Secondly, Bastion has other utilities. He can self heal, his default mode is gun is fairly useful, and his ultimate is a very powerful surprise attack that can turn the game around.

In comparison, Widowmaker's grapple is one of the least useful manuever abilities, her venom mine barely does any damage, and her ultimate is not only all that useful or reliable (you can't know when a sneak attack is going to happen before you activate it, so you can only activate it and hope the enemy isn't coming from the direction everyone expects it to) but Hanzo has a spammable ability version of it. And since she can only fire off one shot, an enemy being in her line of sight isn't a guaranteed kill, unlike bastion.

I mean, you can go "Console lulz" but this is just a flat out bad character because she's one note. It's a good note, being able to instantly murderize any nontank in one shot, but even PC players can't use it too well (I think I read a statistic that said the top Widow players only get 30% headshots somewhere), and my point is that she NEEDS more abilities that she can contribute to the game.

Antiwhippy

That's why widow and Hanzo are preferable on attack. Landing the picks with them might be inconsistent, but you get multiple tries, and if you get 2 or 3 you've pretty much won the team fight.

Whereas if you've missed your mark on defense and lose 1 team fight you're pretty much donezo.

darklin0

Banned

So this confirmed to me that Widowmaker doesn't need a buff to her damage so much as have her other abilities reworked. She needs to be able to do something other than snipe, because while it can be efficient with good aiming skills, it's not some unique feature that only she brings to the table. I'd go as far as to suggest that she needs a flat out new ability of some sort.

1. Depends, console or PC? On PC aiming with her is no porblem, on Console I would assume you don't strafing characters and wait for them to walk over you aim cursor.

2. She is hit scan and Zen is not. Her bullet size does not matter at all when it comes to shooting.

3. While both Zen and Widow are Long range, Widow should never be in a spot where Zen can get 3 shots off her before Widow charges her shot.

While Widow is not at a good spot at the moment, she was extremely oppressive to play against pre nerf.

Veelk

Banned
That's why widow and Hanzo are preferable on attack. Landing the picks with them might be inconsistent, but you get multiple tries, and if you get 2 or 3 you've pretty much won the team fight.

Whereas if you've missed your mark on defense and lose 1 team fight you're pretty much donezo.

I don't really understand the difference. You get multiple tries on both defense and attack. Defense is just usually a longer trek back, but as Hanzo and Widow, you can start contributing even before you get back in the main area by picking them off. It feels like both cases just depend on whether you can land the shots and get kills.

1. Depends, console or PC? On PC aiming with her is no porblem, on Console I would assume you don't strafing characters and wait for them to walk over you aim cursor.

2. She is hit scan and Zen is not. Her bullet size does not matter at all when it comes to shooting.

3. While both Zen and Widow are Long range, Widow should never be in a spot where Zen can get 3 shots off her before Widow charges her shot.

While Widow is not at a good spot at the moment, she was extremely oppressive to play against pre nerf.

1. I already said I play console. And I move my cursor, but it's much less precise for obvious reasons.
2. Does that mean their bullets are the same size as hitscan then? As I said, I didn't check or anything, but it certainly feels like Zenyatta's balls have an easier time hitting me than my bullets hitting him. If someone wants to confirm or disconfirm that, let me know!
3. And there should never be a situation where D.Va is underpowered, but we don't live in a situation where the world is fair. What if I just killed a different character when Zenyatta spotted me and started throwing his orbs. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, unless you are the aforementioned human aimbot, you are going to miss sometimes, in which case a Zenny is going to see you and start firing off and you have to wait for your charge because that's how the game works.

Again, on PC, I'm positive that's true. But on consoles, I doubt that was the case. More than that, I'm not suggesting altering her firepower, though that's definitely one way to buff her. I'm suggesting reworking her kit. Take off some seconds on her grapple, it's not such a good evasion technique that it needs 12 seconds to recharge. Give her mines some more bite, or atleast have her be able to lay down more than one of them. Give her ult some kind of offensive capability so it can actually help more than once in a blue moon. You can keep her sniping damage 100% as is now, just let her do something else.

Antiwhippy

The longer trek back matters a lot. It's so long that 1 won team fight usually means it's too late for the defenders because even if you get some of them, they can reinforce quicker while usually the defenders are trickling in. Which is bad because you're pretty much just feeding them ult percentage.

I really can't think of a lot of maps where you can get a clean sightline to point a from the defenders spawn. And point b is usually too close quarters for either of them.

Veelk

Banned
The longer trek back matters a lot. It's so long that 1 won team fight usually means it's too late for the defenders because even if you get some of them, they can reinforce quicker while usually the defenders are trickling in. Which is bad because you're pretty much just feeding them ult percentage.

I really can't think of a lot of maps where you can get a clean sightline to point a from the defenders spawn. And point b is usually too close quarters for either of them.

Well, I didn't say it was clean, but it's possible to get a few shots in. Especially if you have your ult up and can force them to back off. Every little bit helps.

I guess I'm just not at a high enough level of play where the team matters that much more than the individual. Often when playing Hanzo on Defense, unless my team was COMPLETELY wiped out, worst case scenerio was usually one or two or 3 guys contesting the point, my teammates weakening the enemies on it, at which point I often converge and just start trying to shoot them down. I can't say how many times we manage to take them off it, but often enough that I don't feel it's worthless to play Snipers on Defense because of it. Often they don't even get the first third, so they effectively go back down to zero.

Honestly, the game already heavily depends on team work, but I like having a slight opportunity to have some individual effort put in without having to worry too much about what my teammates are doing so long as their not completely getting wrecked. I want a high SR so I can get points at the end, but that level of play, that dedication to coordination...idk, something about it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm a mid (I think....is 2750 or so considered good? That's where I'm at now) level player, and this is where it appeals to me. Maybe even a little lower. I could definitely see myself getting a season high of 3000, and then immediately diving back down just so I can play less with less stress. Not on purpose, I mean just because I know I'm not that high level a player to maintain that rank, and I don't feel I want to be. I got my first taste of a truly coordinated team yesterday and getting steamrolled like that isn't all that fun.

Well anyway, as for point B, Hanzo I think he's as good a close quarters fighter as he is a long range fighter. Better, in some ways, since in close range, your arrows effectively have no travel time and still instantly kill characters. Hell, I feel his dragons are more useful in Hanamura B than any other map. Plus scattershot. Widow, I agree with you, she's worthless at point B's. But a Hanzo that can aim is going to do werk, near or far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom