• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

lowest I fell was 2196, and the climb back was... interesting! >_>

may I ask, who y'all play? On my journey back from 2196 Bastion was literally in every match. Y'all should practice your tracking/recon Bastion skillz and consider using him to climb up into platinum lvl.

YmkVoNT.jpg

I'm also sick of running into golden weapon tryhards who steamroll the team I'm on. I don't understand how people are even getting those anyway, I'm only half way to getting one, those people must be playing 25 hours a day or something.

So if I tell you guys I just played a game in Hanamura against a 4-stack plus a Top 500, with my team being two duos and two randoms having a Bastion+Torb in the team on defense and ATTACK, what do you guys think the result was?

We won x'D

I was playing Lucio and in the end I just spammed You gotta believe!!!!!!!!!

I'm also sick of running into golden weapon tryhards who steamroll the team I'm on. I don't understand how people are even getting those anyway, I'm only half way to getting one, those people must be playing 25 hours a day or something.

You get a ton of points at the end of a season depending on how you do. At that on top of playing a lot of comp then you can get a gold weapon.

Danj

You get a ton of points at the end of a season depending on how you do. At that on top of playing a lot of comp then you can get a gold weapon.

It's not really a "ton". I'm gold tier, so I'm only going to get 400 points for that. That'd still leave me about a thousand points short of getting a golden weapon.

Considering I'm level 300 something and you're level 200+, that means you were probably around during season one, I got one gold gun and am looking to get my second at the end of this season. If you're facing people in gold tier with golden guns, that means they aren't tryhards, it means you're not trying hard enough. If anything, it means they're pretty bad, honestly. If you can grind out a gold gun, that means you definitely played a lot, but if they're at your rank, then they probably aren't getting any better after all those games.

messiaen

Well if a second tank was so important, you should've switched if you thought the comp needed it. It doesn't matter who's doing what. And you asked them to switch at the beginning of the match right? How do you know they're bad? Actually, I think you already answered this when you said "carrying the team" -__-

Also, how is Zen having silver bad? He's a fantastic damage dealer. He really should be getting high amounts of elims.

It sounds like you lost faith in your team before the match started and that means you were the issue, not your team.

Elims is a terrible thing to base your team on IMO, because you could have gotten all of those by doing 5 damage to everyone.
Look, let's just stop. You seem kind of hell-bent on saying I'm wrong without knowing what was actually happening in the match.

You fail or glaze over the fact that I said why they were doing bad. These offensivly minded players on defense tend to overextend, they did. They went beyond the choke and got swarmed.

I didn't criticize them at all in the chat, I just told them having a tank would be a better option. The narrative you're trying to push that I was a toxic player is a little ridiculous.

Also, 5 damage as Mei? It's not like she can spray and prey, mate?

antitrop

What is it with people and stars? My team just lost a match and the opponents were all like "oh noobs with stars" "hah you got that many stars and you still got rekt" etcetera. Why do these people think it means anything?
Anything less than a silver border is child's play.

antitrop

So if I tell you guys I just played a game in Hanamura against a 4-stack plus a Top 500, with my team being two duos and two randoms having a Bastion+Torb in the team on defense and ATTACK, what do you guys think the result was?

We won x'D

My Lucio voice line will never change from "Why are you so angry".

My Lucio voice line will never change from "Why are you so angry".

Now I know what voice line I will change to next. That will get a lot of use in those situations where everyone tells me to play Lucio and start punching me when I pick Ana instead. Now I will switch to him to use that and go back to Ana again :)

Owzers

We won x'D

So you're telling us that we should play Torb more if we want to win, got it.

Just my luck. Last night, I got a duplicate Junkenstein and today I got a legendary for Roadhog that isn't the Halloween one. -_-

Can I just get one new Halloween skin please?

Just my luck. Last night, I got a duplicate Junkenstein and today I got a legendary for Roadhog that isn't the Halloween one. -_-

Can I just get one new Halloween skin please?

Bummer dude. I either got quite lucky or the legendary Halloween payouts are much higher because I've already found all four. Now I can spend my gold on the other skins.

Danj

Edit: Ew, can we not get into a KDR dick-measuring contest?

If that's directed at me, I wasn't highlighting KDR or anything like that. I was just pointing out that I put in a bunch of great performances over the last few weeks and I am still stuck in the dumps in comp, so "trying hard" isn't the only thing that's needed.

Jellie

Tell me again how I'm not trying hard enough?

Exactly how much harder do I have to try?

EDIT: in case it's not obvious those are not all from today, but they are all from the last few weeks.
The first two games seem to have a lot of deaths. Not sure if it's because you had second rounds or an extended koth but maybe cut down on the deaths. It might actually be sue to trying hard too much yourself in all honesty. Other two games are good though. Though also have to ask how many games were these sampled from as it's possible you just screenshot the standout ones.

I-hate-u

I find main-ing key heroes can help immensely in solo-q and climbing up the SR ladder. Obviously it's going to depend on the general team composition, but I find that if you're really good with Mei, Tracer, Zarya, Reaper and Zenyatta, you can almost carry your team pretty much.

Danj

The first two games seem to have a lot of deaths. Not sure if it's because you had second rounds or an extended koth but maybe cut down on the deaths. It might actually be sue to trying hard too much yourself in all honesty. Other two games are good though. Though also have to ask how many games were these sampled from as it's possible you just screenshot the standout ones.

I've no idea how many games, but yeah obviously they're the standout ones from however many I've played this season. But it still supports my point, you can try the hardest you ever tried and get the best result you ever got and still go down in rank, trying hard is not sufficient.

Tell me again how I'm not trying hard enough?

Exactly how much harder do I have to try?

EDIT: in case it's not obvious those are not all from today, but they are all from the last few weeks.

tumblr_of5no6fBUN1ue7tcno1_400.png

---

Basically you're saying you had four outstanding games over the last few weeks. I can see how some of what I'm saying can come off as a little shitty. But maybe you've reached your peak and you kinda just have to accept it..?

I got placed really low during season one. like early 30s. I solo'd my way up into the early 50s, because I didn't belong down there. If you're truly better than where you are, then you will inevitably move up or down, to where you belong. This season I was placed mid plat and moved to diamond. Trying to get to 3500s for season three is my new goal.

Do you have regulars you can play with? If you team up with other people who are within range that are lower than they should be, then logically you guys can just steamroll to where you deserve to be?

Danj

Basically you're saying you had four outstanding games over the last few weeks. I can see how some of what I'm saying can come off as a little shitty. But maybe you've reached your peak and you kinda just have to accept it..?

Okay then, so if that's the case then Blizzard's placement algorithms are bad. If that's where I am supposed to be, why was I placed in the 2100s? Just place me in the damn 1400s to start with and then I can actually go up from where I started instead of down.

I got placed really low during season one. like early 30s. I solo'd my way up into the early 50s, because I didn't belong down there. If you're truly better than where you are, then you will inevitably move up or down, to where you belong. This season I was place mid plat and moved to diamond. Trying to get to 3500s for season three is my new goal.

Do you have regulars you can play with? If you team up with other people who are within range that are lower than they should be, then logically you guys can just steamroll to where you deserve to be?

I do have regulars but my rank is so low that I am not in range of any of them. And yeah it does not work like that anyway.

Jellie

I've no idea how many games, but yeah obviously they're the standout ones from however many I've played this season. But it still supports my point, you can try the hardest you ever tried and get the best result you ever got and still go down in rank, trying hard is not sufficient.
How do you play your dva. Seems like you play her very divey and get in the thick of it? A lot which determines if you win is who you kill and when not how many. Target the back line, preferably with either a Winston/genji/tracer. Try to engage when your team engages so you don't get focused down. Keep track of enemy ults in your head. Usually only support need to do this most of the time but it's also important for dva as eats them. You can really tilt the enemy if you eat their ults constantly. Playing support in quick play may help you with this.

Dunno if you do this all already but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Okay then, so if that's the case then Blizzard's placement algorithms are bad. If that's where I am supposed to be, why was I placed in the 2100s? Just place me in the damn 1400s to start with and then I can actually go up from where I started instead of down.

I do have regulars but my rank is so low that I am not in range of any of them. And yeah it does not work like that anyway.
Becuase 10 matches are nowhere near enough to figure out someone's skill level. There are plenty of people here who started at around 25-2600 and are now Diamond or above(including me). If you've been around the 1400s for a really long time, then that's probably where you should be.

Azoor

The new Brawl actually gave me a good excuse to practice McCree, trying to have as high accuracy as possible each match.

Danj

Becuase 10 matches are nowhere near enough to figure out someone's skill level. There are plenty of people here who started at around 25-2600 and are now Diamond or above(including me). If you've been around the 1400s for a really long time, then that's probably where you should be.

So what you're saying is that next season, I have to play really badly during the placement matches so I'll get placed correctly? That seems kinda messed up, shouldn't they at least try to make their placement algorithms better instead?

Pick self-sufficient characters so you don't have to rely on support and that are able to get kills easily (Roadhog is your best bet). Spam "group up" a lot, it's extremely annoying when people just go by themselves and get killed over and over.

Fuck me. Two more matches. Two more losses. Three golds in each. POTG in one of them. We had a level 200+ Torbjorn who refused to switch on defense even when we were getting rolled and he was doing jack shit. In the next game, it was a Bastion who did the same goddamn thing.

I don't get it. How am I supposed to not only make a difference, but carry this kind of dead weight too? Like, fuck!

Redmoon

How do you play your dva. Seems like you play her very divey and get in the thick of it? A lot which determines if you win is who you kill and when not how many. Target the back line, preferably with either a Winston/genji/tracer. Try to engage when your team engages so you don't get focused down. Keep track of enemy ults in your head. Usually only support need to do this most of the time but it's also important for dva as eats them. You can really tilt the enemy if you eat their ults constantly. Playing support in quick play may help you with this.

Dunno if you do this all already but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

I tend to play D.va like you described. Divey/flank, assault the back lines getting a pick or making them retreat. Negating ults, DM'ing teammates when they are retreating taking fire. Just causing chaos and being everywhere/the main focus for the enemy, that makes the enemy team fall apart in hopes my team will capitalize on that, which they tend not to. And that last part isnt exclusive to dva, I do it alot on DPS and have the same issue of teammates tending to not follow through with my play, so it basically becomes a waste of effort.

I'm still not top performing with her (like I do DPS) going by overbuff's stats. Although my Elimination to death ratio in comp is 11.87, averaging 2.25 deaths, so surviving/tanking the damage causing a mess for the enemy, and getting away is going well. Guess she's heavily reliant on a team that works together.

Jellie

I tend to play D.va like you described. Divey/flank, assault the back lines getting a pick or making them retreat. Negating ults, DM'ing teammates when they are retreating taking fire. Just causing chaos and being everywhere/the main focus for the enemy, that makes the enemy team fall apart in hopes my team will capitalize on that, which they tend not to. And that last part isnt exclusive to dva, I do it alot on DPS and have the same issue of teammates tending to not follow through with my play, so it basically becomes a waste of effort.

I'm still not top performing with her (like I do DPS) going by overbuff's stats. Although my Elimination to death ratio in comp is 11.87, averaging 2.25 deaths, so surviving/tanking the damage causing a mess for the enemy, and getting away is going well. Guess she's heavily reliant on a team that works together.
Yeah she's a disruptor. You have to split the support from the front lines so you have to rely on your team to do their job too. I find it's easy to inflate your eliminations to death ratio with her as her non stop fire and drop off allow you to get an elimination when you did barely any damage if somebody killed them What stats aren't you doing well on anyway.

Kito

Got my first legendary card in solo q. 35% healing as Mercy. Pretty ordinary game with no 3+ rezzes or potg either...

Also, 5 damage as Mei? It's not like she can spray and prey, mate?
You do know she has the little freeze thing that is her main fire right? And I was using random numbers to make a point. Elims don't mean shit if you're damage is super low.

Whatever. You keep thinking it's your mates fault because they didn't switch even though you weren't willing to switch yourself.

Redmoon

Yeah she's a disruptor. You have to split the support from the front lines so you have to rely on your team to do their job too. I find it's easy to inflate your eliminations to death ratio with her as her non stop fire and drop off allow you to get an elimination when you did barely any damage if somebody killed them What stats aren't you doing well on anyway.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Redmoon-1256/heroes/dva?mode=competitive

Elims, obj kills and dmg is average. DMG blocked is low, OBJ time is low but not sure if thats a good thing or not, and self destruct is on the low side. I suppose I'll need more games to get a better average and get better with her overall.

In comparison, if you look at my 76 and Reaper stats for comp, specifically the session stats, I tend to do very well with them, but still can't make a big enough presence to sway the game in my win statistically, and they are very self reliant hero's for me. Maybe I am a big presence, and dont know it because the games don't blatantly show for that because my team was in that moment that lower than the enemy in skill, so anything I'd do makes it feel like im doing an average contribution at best.

KiraFA37

I haven't played much Overwatch this week due to work comitments but damn, I just got off a 4 win streak in comp followed by a draw which was a sign for me to stop playing comp for tonight. I'm now 2 SR away from my season high again, hoping to reach the 2600-2800 bracket before the season ends. feelsgood.gif

Holy jones, I finally made it, after a streak of 5 wins, a draw and another win I have attained DIAMOND
JxDFFyI.png

I must've hitched a ride with lady luck today, I now feel at peace as I have no desire to go any higher.

The final moments that led me to finally attaining this rank must've been epic I imagine you say (okay, you probably don't), well let it be known friends that I finished that last game respawning in Dorado in a squash match and as I exited the garden a FUCKIN' HANZO SPIRIT DRAGON just runs me straight over with no warning, this is the overwatch equivalent of when the wrestler Christian won the championship by getting kicked in the dick.

TrueBlue

The loot box gods have been kind and granted me the Witch Mercy costume.

Thank goodness, I have a budget to maintain for the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom