• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

Can someone clarify something for me please.

So in competitive, I get that the average gap between the two teams will fall somewhere in the region of 1000 and 500 in difference (depending on your rank).

Now, what happens if you have a static for competitive, and the static itself doesn't play very often, but individuals within it want to play more and level up in competitive. Is there a limit to how much difference there can be in ranking points between players on the same team in competitive mode in a preformed group? Or does it take an average regardless?

It's difficult because, most of us that play together genuinely prefer the ruleset that competitive brings. It just makes more sense and is more satisfying for us to play compared to Quick Play. But.. we also all play the game differing amounts.

Fancolors

Absolutely brainless teams tonight. It baffles me that at Level 90, some people can't still secure a kill as DPS.
People progress at different rates, it's not much about level, that only gives an estimate of time spent. SR is a more accurate measure of skill (and mine is kinda mediocre ;_;).

Tovarisc

There is a toggle for it where you can hold shift instead of pressing it. Lets you cancel out a lot faster. I also have beam on toggle so I don't have to hold down mouse buttons.

I usually GA towards a person while holding heal then once heal locks on I let go of shift and turn around to find someone to GA back to.

Bolded bit, why? Sounds inefficient way to heal someone because when you GA away beam will break and most likely leaves target below full health.

Also you most likely are in zone of death if you dive after person who is over extended, even if you cancel GA. At time you just need let people die and res or just let them die. I have accepted long time ago that some people prefer dying to staying alive.

mollipen

I'm playing Pharah on ps4 and no one is shooting me. They're literally allowing me to correct my aim and pick them off one by one lol

I've been playing a lot of Zenyatta lately, and I feel like I'm always the only one to be trying to deal with her—and I don't think that's how it's supposed to happen.

NeoRaider

I will NEVER learn Winston and Zarya. :/

I tried again today few matches and with Winston i don't even know what i need to do. I am jumping around like a monkey (lol). And... that's about it. I can hardly do any damage. I had 16 kills with him today in Nepal and we won. But they were killing me so much. Also his Ulti is useless for me because i don't know what to do. It's good to push them away from the point but i can't kill anyone with it.

With Zarya, i am not that bad i guess. But i am just not good enough. There are some great Zarya's out there and i am such a flop! I can't do any dmg with both of her attacks. I guess i need to be more precise with her beam.

Lets give anubis as an example. On point b, she can wall herself, then when that breaks, ult and then shift it buys enough time for the whole team to respawn.
It's not like she can block the whole area. Just go around the wall lol. Surround her and she's screwed. Even if her team is able to come back, it's as a 5v6 and you have the advantage.

And about Ana, why are you complaining about her DPS when Zen has far more(which doesn't mean it's an issue)?

eek5

Bolded bit, why? Sounds inefficient way to heal someone because when you GA away beam will break and most likely leaves target below full health.

Also you most likely are in zone of death if you dive after person who is over extended, even if you cancel GA. At time you just need let people die and res or just let them die. I have accepted long time ago that some people prefer dying to staying alive.

I don't drop the heal. I just stay in a safe spot then look for a way back while topping them off.

I always see the screenshot quality option but have never bothered to look into it. Is there a screenshot function built into the game? I've always just used shadowplay.

antitrop

I always see the screenshot quality option but have never bothered to look into it. Is there a screenshot function built into the game? I've always just used shadowplay.

Yeah, pretty sure it defaults to PrtSc and then dumps them as MASSIVE fucking .BMPs in the My Documents/Overwatch/Screenshots folder.

I'm in love with the game, and I'm feeling pretty great about the Halloween content, but... I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed with the post-launch support. 5 months in, we've got 1 new map, 1 new hero, and a pile of cosmetics (some of which can't be gotten any more) to show for it.

I'm not trying to say that I expect some outrageous 1-hero-per-month schedule out of them, but... it's a bit thin, isn't it? We don't even have any permanent new game types. I'd love to see something like Strongholds/Citadel/Whatever you call multi-point KOTH, or CTF, or... I dunno, something. It doesn't have to be perfectly balanced, lord knows that what we've got now isn't.

I am worse now compared to first few months. Overwatch is basically the only game i am playing. Can't play anything else. :/
Same. I'm worse now than I ever was.

And if I'm not playing I'm checking my YouTube subscriptions who mainly post Overwatch vids. While I browse Overwatch forums.

And if I'm not doing that I'm watching Overwatch streams on Twitch.

Help!

NeoRaider

And if I'm not playing I'm checking my YouTube subscriptions who mainly post Overwatch vids. While I browse Overwatch forums.

Help!

Lmao. I am in little better situation since i am not watching any streamers/youtubers. Only playing a lot and enjoying the game but...

Help! XD

I'm in love with the game, and I'm feeling pretty great about the Halloween content, but... I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed with the post-launch support. 5 months in, we've got 1 new map, 1 new hero, and a pile of cosmetics (some of which can't be gotten any more) to show for it.

I'm not trying to say that I expect some outrageous 1-hero-per-month schedule out of them, but... it's a bit thin, isn't it? We don't even have any permanent new game types. I'd love to see something like Strongholds/Citadel/Whatever you call multi-point KOTH, or CTF, or... I dunno, something. It doesn't have to be perfectly balanced, lord knows that what we've got now isn't.

It's only been 5 months. These things take time.

LiK

Help!

I do everything except watch streams. Not into the torunaments or streamers. I just follow like 4-5 PW YT channels who update me on news and new content/rumors.

antitrop

I had already played 300 hours and gotten to Rank 65 before I started watching streams. The thought didn't appeal to me until I could watch it and know that I understand everything that's happening. I hate watching streams of multiplayer games I don't know very well myself, they just look like chaotic clusterfucks of random graphical and sound effects going off.

Like, if I tried to watch a DOTA 2 stream right now I would just be so confused. It would be hopeless, I've never played the game myself.

I do everything except watch streams. Not into the torunaments or streamers. I just follow like 4-5 PW YT channels who update me on news and new content/rumors.
I never thought I'd watch streams of a game but honestly I'm really enjoying the Overwatch ESL. Never imagined I would enjoy any kind of pro video gaming, but here we are. And MoonMoon/Seagull etc. are really entertaining and you learn alot watching them. I don't watch streams much but it's a great way to just relax if you don't actually feel like playing the game.

Jellie

I will NEVER learn Winston and Zarya. :/

I tried again today few matches and with Winston i don't even know what i need to do. I am jumping around like a monkey (lol). And... that's about it. I can hardly do any damage. I had 16 kills with him today in Nepal and we won. But they were killing me so much. Also his Ulti is useless for me because i don't know what to do. It's good to push them away from the point but i can't kill anyone with it.

With Zarya, i am not that bad i guess. But i am just not good enough. There are some great Zarya's out there and i am such a flop! I can't do any dmg with both of her attacks. I guess i need to be more precise with her beam.

With winston never go in without your shield ready. You kinda need a zarya to work with you too. Jump on their squeeshies/support shield up and kill them before they kill you jump away get healed up and repeat. If you see a fight going on jump into the middle of it a shield up for your team. The ult is used to seperate their team to make it easier for your team to kill them or to stall a point.

5 months isn't that short a time, especially with how modern development works, stuff getting cut for time before launch. Like I said, I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but 1 map and 1 hero in 5 months is pretty thin. I mean, a second map at least is what I'd expect to happen by now.

eek5

Help!

maybe you've stayed the same while everyone else has gotten better :|

5 months isn't that short a time, especially with how modern development works, stuff getting cut for time before launch. Like I said, I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but 1 map and 1 hero in 5 months is pretty thin. I mean, a second map at least is what I'd expect to happen by now.

We're about to get a second hero. maybe... There has been comp, improving comp, and a bunch of smaller QoL changes too as well as balancing. IDK I feel like it's been OK so far post-launch support-wise.

Cappa

Banned
Symmetra's great
but don't pick her on ranked
Hahahaha I love picking symmwtra and proceed to getting a gold medal in elims and saving the teams ass with a well hidden teleporter.

Symmetra is the sole reason I've broken my slump I was down near 1900s now I'm back in the 2400s and finally passed my career and season high Yay!

This. I'm happy with the pace they're going at as long as it's all 100% free. If they start charging for content(which I doubt will happen) then I would hope for it to speed up, but for now, I think it's fine, especially after only being five months in.
I never thought I'd watch streams of a game but honestly I'm really enjoying the Overwatch ESL. Never imagined I would enjoy any kind of pro video gaming, but here we are. And MoonMoon/Seagull etc. are really entertaining and you learn alot watching them. I don't watch streams much but it's a great way to just relax if you don't actually feel like playing the game.
After watching some of the god awful Destiny streams, I've always stayed away from them, but when I watched Seagull and MoonMoon, I was surprised at how chill they were. They didn't scream every 5 seconds, they didn't make dumb jokes, they were just super cool and entertaining guys. And tournaments are a lot more exciting to watch than I ever thought they would be. They're so intense to watch. The fact that I favor certain teams(NRG and Fnatic) shows how much I'm into it. This game works great for this stuff.

NeoRaider

With winston never go in without your shield ready. You kinda need a zarya to work with you too. Jump on their squeeshies/support shield up and kill them before they kill you jump away get healed up and repeat. If you see a fight going on jump into the middle of it a shield up for your team. The ult is used to seperate their team to make it easier for your team to kill them or to stall a point.

Thanks for the Winston tips!

I was using his shield but i was mostly attacking alone, so that might be the problem? They were destroying my shield easily and also i don't remember having a good healer by my side. I guess Winston needs really good team and communication since he is huge and easy target.

TrueBlue

I decided to try Mercy in solo q in QP and boy, that brought back memories where no one protected you and you were the prime target by the enemy team. No fun at all.

"I could use some assistance!...No? Okay, you fuck off after that Genji while ignoring the Reaper on my back. Cool."

Seriously.

If you regret using it or see the target die, remember that you can cancel it.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that. Noted.

There is a toggle for it where you can hold shift instead of pressing it. Lets you cancel out a lot faster. I also have beam on toggle so I don't have to hold down mouse buttons.

I usually GA towards a person while holding heal then once heal locks on I let go of shift and turn around to find someone to GA back to.

I might consider changing some control options, see if it helps in any way. Thanks!

5 months is an eternity when it comes to multiplayer content in a AAA game.
This is a game that plans to last for years. I think Blizzard is worried more about balancing the game out first while trickling out content to keep players in.

I have a feeling that once the game becomes fairly balanced, we will start to see a shit ton of content.

Jellie

Thanks for the Winston tips!

I was using his shield but i was mostly attacking alone, so that might be the problem? They were destroying my shield easily and also i don't remember having a good healer by my side. I guess Winston needs really good team and communication since he is huge and easy target.

If you in by yourself you and your shield will get focused down so either go against peopel isolated, usually support or you need a team. Zarya bubbles you while zen or ana heal you when you dive. Usually he's used with a genji or maybe a tracer as they tend to dive in. He works really well with genji as you jump and his dash will put them low enough for you to kill them fast and genji gets his reflect back to start the snowball.

BigDug13

This is a game that plans to last for years. I think Blizzard is worried more about balancing the game out first while trickling out content to keep players in.

I have a feeling that once the game becomes fairly balanced, we will start to see a shit ton of content.

The game is already pretty fairly balanced. It was actually incredible how fairly balanced the game was on day one IMO. There's never going to be a magical "now everything is perfectly balanced" moment in a game with so many modes and characters. I really doubt they're waiting around for the balancing team to tweak things to perfection before they open up the floodgates on content.

eek5

The game is already pretty fairly balanced. It was actually incredible how fairly balanced the game was on day one IMO. There's never going to be a magical "now everything is perfectly balanced" moment in a game with so many modes and characters. I really doubt they're waiting around for the balancing team to tweak things to perfection before they open up the floodgates on content.

Gotta make sure reaper can't shadow step to unintended locations. Adding more maps just makes it harder for them to fix all the locations.

I wouldn't call it fairly balanced when half the cast is barely used. That's what I'm talking about. The characters that are used are in a great spot, but that lower cast needs some work, and adding tons of maps and characters won't speed up the process. Adding in a little at a time won't make a huge difference, but adding a ton at a time will make it harder for the balancing team.

I still think that most of the OW team is working on balancing right now. Once that's in a good spot, they will start working on content more.

darklin0

Banned
The game cost $40, they add something new each month, these type of games are based around balance changes more that new content. You guys need to chill. lol

Gotta make sure reaper can't shadow step to unintended locations. Adding more maps just makes it harder for them to fix all the locations.

They should just make that a permanent patch note. Much like how removing Herobrine is a permanent minecraft patchnote.

This isn't like COD or Battlefield or other games where there's a yearly release (or two year release). Those cram DLC and maps into as short a timeframe as possible because the next game comes out after only a short while.

There isn't going to be an Overwatch 2 next year - if anything, Overwatch is going to go for many years based on other Blizzard games. I'm perfectly okay with the support they've shown it so far - a new map, a new hero, 2 unique events, and several balance updates. The fact that I'm still playing it and haven't moved on to something else is just a testament to how good the game is anyway.

Tovarisc

Why witch Mercy hauls around mop instead of broom? When doing melee swing you can clearly see business end of stick flailing around like mop instead of being stiff like broom.

The 0.0000001%.

I played Symmetra a LOT in QP when I first started - I won nearly every game I played as her.

She's poorly balanced (especially with the console nerf) and at higher level play she's definitely only barely above worthless. But playing against fresh people who have just started or lower rank people who have no strategy - she can shine. Especially since those people never hunt for teleporters.

This isn't like COD or Battlefield or other games where there's a yearly release (or two year release). Those cram DLC and maps into as short a timeframe as possible because the next game comes out after only a short while.

There isn't going to be an Overwatch 2 next year - if anything, Overwatch is going to go for many years based on other Blizzard games. I'm perfectly okay with the support they've shown it so far - a new map, a new hero, 2 unique events, and several balance updates. The fact that I'm still playing it and haven't moved on to something else is just a testament to how good the game is anyway.

I wasn't thinking about annualized titles, honestly. I was thinking about Halo 5. By this point, we'd gotten... what, 4-6 dev maps? Also, new game types, a map editor, and a boatload of cosmetics.

It's not an exact comparison for a number of reasons, obviously. I really don't want to sound... I guess ungrateful, but it really does feel overly slow to me.

Also... you're pointing at stuff like the Summer Games and Halloween events as successes, but I can't help but think of them as failures. We're getting temporarily available cosmetics (actually, not sure about Halloween stuff) and temporary gimmicky game modes. Now, don't get me wrong, they're fun while they last, but I would straight-up trade the lot of it for a new map and new permanent gametype.
Balance updates I'm not gonna count 'cause c'mon, that's just expected.

Braag

Goddammit, first I don't get any halloween skins after almost 20 loot boxes and then I get 2 Frankenstein's monster skins in a row :/ Why couldn't the next one be Pumpkin Reaper or Witch Mercy...

xaosslug

Hahahaha I love picking symmwtra and proceed to getting a gold medal in elims and saving the teams ass with a well hidden teleporter.

Symmetra is the sole reason I've broken my slump I was down near 1900s now I'm back in the 2400s and finally passed my career and season high Yay!

you even pick her on attack? How does your team not implode from the hit to morale out the gate? I've run her on attack in QP, and she needs a decent team to 'work', but even then it takes a couple of mins to really build any momentum and get rolling as Symm on attack to SHOW your team that she works... are you on mic? Do you convince your teammates beforehand?

I wasn't thinking about annualized titles, honestly. I was thinking about Halo 5. By this point, we'd gotten... what, 4-6 dev maps? Also, new game types, a map editor, and a boatload of cosmetics.

It's not an exact comparison for a number of reasons, obviously. I really don't want to sound... I guess ungrateful, but it really does feel overly slow to me.

Also... you're pointing at stuff like the Summer Games and Halloween events as successes, but I can't help but think of them as failures. We're getting temporarily available cosmetics (actually, not sure about Halloween stuff) and temporary gimmicky game modes. Now, don't get me wrong, they're fun while they last, but I would straight-up trade the lot of it for a new map and new permanent gametype.
Balance updates I'm not gonna count 'cause c'mon, that's just expected.
You realize Halo 5 has been out for longer than 5 months right? That's not a good comparison at all.

Also, why do you consider them failures? They've brought in great skins and some of the few good brawls. We've gotten something every month. Two months where comp came out, the second one was improved, one map, one mode, two events, and what seems to be a new character this month.

Also, I would think else events are easier to do than new maps or characters, so we either get these events to pass the time, or we wait 2 or 3 months for something new.

And again.

It's free shit we are getting here.

Jacqli

Help!

Glad to read posts like these, because I am in the same boat. I do not know what this game has, but it has totally hooked me up. The characters are so fun to play with, the rewards, etc. And it is also the first time that I watch some streamers while I am doing other tasks, never happened before.

Damn you, Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom