• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Competitive was also added post-release. There's been a lot of focus on that and spectator quality of life changes.

It's not just 1 map and 1 hero, in that respect. They've prioritized things that will keep some legs underneath the game; specifically, they're embracing eSports hard right now.

"I could use some assistance!...No? Okay, you fuck off after that Genji while ignoring the Reaper on my back. Cool."

This is double-edged, here. If Mercy needs constant protection because she doesn't have the tools or proper positioning to mitigate some of that, at what point is playing her more of a liability for the team than anything else? The rest of the healers all have some built-in self protection, whether it's a sleep dart or a speedboost GTFO skill.

I'm down to 1v1 any hero as Zenyatta. That guy is still a machine after the Discord nerf.

And with the massive presence of spike damage in this game, it's not reasonable to expect calling for help when you're getting popped and actually having time for your team to react with that help. Don't get me wrong, I respect a well-played Mercy and I've seen her literally be the make or break in a game.

But I'm not pouring one out for her for getting ganked. She can change her pick just like I have to change off of Winston when Zen/Reaper combo is putting me down before I can be effective.

Same. I'm worse now than I ever was.

And if I'm not playing I'm checking my YouTube subscriptions who mainly post Overwatch vids. While I browse Overwatch forums.

And if I'm not doing that I'm watching Overwatch streams on Twitch.

Help!

My friends have started making fun of me cause all i do is OVERWATCH.

One of them said:

"You literally just bang out Overwatch 24/7"

>.>

My first blizzard game and theyve got me in a chockehold. To think i only cared about Overwatch after playing the first open beta

Tovarisc

This is supposed to be broom?
overwatch_2016_10_17_szxfn.png

I guess it happens every now and then for every broom, should it consult doctor about going limp?

You realize Halo 5 has been out for longer than 5 months right? That's not a good comparison at all.

Also, why do you consider them failures? They've brought in great skins and some of the few good brawls. We've gotten something every month. Two months where comp came out, the second one was improved, one map, one mode, two events, and what seems to be a new character this month.

Also, I would think else events are easier to do than new maps or characters, so we either get these events to pass the time, or we wait 2 or 3 months for something new.

And again.

It's free shit we are getting here.

I made the comparison between when H5 had been out 5 months and Overwatch now, I didn't do a Halo 5 now vs. Overwatch now, that'd be stupid.

I consider the events to be... not exactly failures, that's not really the right way to put it, I guess, judging by your reaction. More... unsatisfying. They're fun diversions for while they last, but after they go, they're gone. Like, they work to get people to come back for the duration, but they haven't really added anything for the time between events. Halloween is going to be better in that respect, assuming that the coin prices means that you can buy them at your leisure after it wraps, but still.

And I know it's free, but at the same time, part of what we paid for was the promise of free content post-launch. I'm really not even all that put out about it, I just think that it's coming more slowly than I'd really expected before launch, and I'm expressing some disappointment over that.

Competitive was also added post-release. There's been a lot of focus on that and spectator quality of life changes.

It's not just 1 map and 1 hero, in that respect. They've prioritized things that will keep some legs underneath the game; specifically, they're embracing eSports hard right now.

You know, I'd completely forgotten competitive wasn't in at launch, lol. They do have that going for them!

The e-sports focus could definitely be a reason why things are going so slow, if they want everything as close to launch-ready as possible when they unveil it, but... isn't that kind of what the PTR is for?

Kalentan

So is the PS4 population low or something?

I shouldn't have to worry about getting put on a team of PUGs against pre-mades in ranked.

TrueBlue

This is double-edged, here. If Mercy needs constant protection because she doesn't have the tools or proper positioning to mitigate some of that, at what point is playing her more of a liability for the team than anything else? The rest of the healers all have some built-in self protection, whether it's a sleep dart or a speedboost GTFO skill.

I'm down to 1v1 any hero as Zenyatta. That guy is still a machine after the Discord nerf.

And with the massive presence of spike damage in this game, it's not reasonable to expect calling for help when you're getting popped and actually having time for your team to react with that help. Don't get me wrong, I respect a well-played Mercy and I've seen her literally be the make or break in a game.

But I'm not pouring one out for her for getting ganked. She can change her pick just like I have to change off of Winston when Zen/Reaper combo is putting me down before I can be effective.

I was being facetious with that quote. Now you've made me feel like a right prick. :lol.

EDIT: I know that wasn't your intention though!

I'm not under any illusion that a team can be attentive to a Mercy's needs at all times, or hell, even most of the time. That's fair enough, and it's up to me as the player to work around it. It's more my frustration with failing to so more than anything - even if I am left out to dry at times.

Tovarisc

So is the PS4 population low or something?

I shouldn't have to worry about getting put on a team of PUGs against pre-mades in ranked.

PC community is very healthy and you get put againt pre-made stacks in every single game, QP or Ranked. It's just how games MM works.

I was being facetious with that quote. Now you've made me feel like a right prick. :lol

I'm not under any illusion that a team can be attentive to a Mercy's needs at all times, or hell, even most of the time. That's fair enough, and it's up to me as the player to work around it. It's more my frustration with failing to so more than anything - even if I am left out to dry at times.

Ahh, I wasn't singling you out so much as I was talking about that sort of sentiment.

It's used a lot in a non-sarcastic way. You can see it in games. Mercy can be a thankless job, for sure. But a monster one is just that: a monster.

TrueBlue

Ahh, I wasn't singling you out so much as I was talking about that sort of sentiment.

It's used a lot in a non-sarcastic way. You can see it in games. Mercy can be a thankless job, for sure. But a monster one is just that: a monster.

I know, you probably missed my edit. We cool. :)

A monster one? You mean, a monster job? Because if so, then yes, I agree. Makes it more satisfying when I manage to do well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not impossible to win as randoms vs groups. Did that just yesterday. Then again i was chosen to be part of some people's placement matches for whatever reason. Got gold elims as mei and lucio.

Nimby

Banned
Sombra is coming soon enough I guess. Anyone want to take a guess at her abilities?

Role: Support
Weapon: Deals decent damage at close ranges, unreliable at long range
Ability 1: EMP Grenade/Mine (Disables/silences enemy abilities for a duration, also disables some HUD effects and adds screen distortion)
Ability 2: Distortion Field (Functions as a smoke grenade)
Ultimate: Honestly, cloaking seems like a terrible ultimate and I can't see them making something so gimmicky be the main reason you use Sombra.

Maybe Sombra can cloak herself for a few seconds to sneak in and eliminate targets, but this would make her an offensive/support hybrid. I only think she is going to be support because she is probably going to have means to silence enemies. It fits in nicely with the 'hacker' archetype.

ohkay

And I know it's free, but at the same time, part of what we paid for was the promise of free content post-launch. I'm really not even all that put out about it, I just think that it's coming more slowly than I'd really expected before launch, and I'm expressing some disappointment over that.
Well they've said their goal is to put something cool out every month, and they've met that so far. June: season 1, July: summer games/Ana, August: Eichenwalde, September: season 2, October: Halloween (and maybe Sombra)

Tovarisc

Sombra is coming soon enough I guess. Anyone want to take a guess at her abilities?

Ability 1: EMP Grenade/Mine (Disables/silences enemy abilities for a duration, also disables some HUD effects and adds screen distortion)
Ultimate: Honestly, cloaking seems like a terrible ultimate and I can't see them making something so gimmicky be the main reason you use Sombra.

Maybe Sombra can cloak herself for a few seconds to sneak in and eliminate targets, but this would make her an offensive/support hybrid. I only think she is going to be support because she is probably going to have means to silence enemies. It fits in nicely with the 'hacker' archetype.

Something like EMP would be too powerful as active ability as those have short CD's.

Crossed to level 202 the other night and got Possessed Pharah and Witch Mercy in back to back loot boxes! AW YISS. I knew my luck would change. Can't wait to level up like crazy tonight. Think I'll jump back into Comp too.

Tovarisc

Sonic Arrow has a cooldown of 20 seconds

Skill that would remove all active abilities, ultimates, HUD, give eye cancer to enemy team players then CD for it would need to be unprecedented long. You are after all talking about active skill that would in most cases be automatic team battle victory and cause team wipe.

Edit: If duration of effect was short it would make it somewhat useless active so duration needs to be noticeable.

Skill that would remove all active abilities, ultimates, HUD, give eye cancer to enemy team players then CD for it would need to be unprecedented long. You are after all talking about active skill that would in most cases be automatic team battle victory and cause team wipe.

Edit: If duration of effect was short it would make it somewhat useless active so duration needs to be noticeable.

Something like that would most likely only last a couple seconds and have the range of Biotic Grenade pre-patch.

Tovarisc

Something like that would most likely only last a couple seconds and have the range of Biotic Grenade pre-patch.

So it would be borderline useless active ability because it would require basically perfect timing to have any affect in team fight. If it had duration of biotic grenade then it would be OP skill and must have even if radius was sucky.

So it would be borderline useless active ability because it would require basically perfect timing to have any affect in team fight. If it had duration of biotic grenade then it would be OP skill and must have even if radius was sucky.

Sounds like it would actually be balanced just fine.

Nimby

Banned

I don't think it would block passives. Genji would still be able to double jump and wall climb. Screen distortion might be a bit too much for the ability, but disabling HUD isn't too bad. Doesn't necessarily mean a team wipe either, as it will probably only block abilities not any standard primary/alternate fire.

Taking away abilities seems like it would be a must have ability.

Hopefully not, but I think Sombra is going to have a silence ability in some form at least.

Tovarisc

Hopefully not, but I think Sombra is going to have a silence ability in some form at least.

In game that revolves around active abilities and ults something like silence, assuming it's decent with radius and duration, is mandatory pick. It affects match so much.

ohkay

There are also already abilities that essentially block the enemy from using theirs, though not quite in the nature we're talking about here (sleep dart, flash bang, meis primary fire, earth shatter, etc.)

xaosslug

Role: DPS (similar to Genji/Tracer, high damage, low health)
Weapon: close/mid-range high damage, spray uzi
Ability 1: hacks enemy, causing them to emote - making them 'out of control' for a few seconds
Ability 2: shrapnel grenade
Alt fire: burst shots of like 3-5 bullets at a time
Ultimate: she has infinite amo/doesn't have to reload for 6-8 seconds

Taking away abilities seems like it would be a must have ability.

yep, I don't guy it, tbh. It gives 1 player way too much control. Peeps would be MAD. LOL

Nimby

Banned
In game that revolves around active abilities and ults something like silence, assuming it's decent with radius and duration, is mandatory pick. It affects match so much.

But is it worth dropping for Ana nade? I said she would be support, but like Symmetra she isn't going to replace a healer. So you would have Ana + Lucio + Sombra, and three tanks or two tanks and a DPS. It all depends on how versatile she is.

Characters who rely on abilities like Rein, Zarya, Roadhog, Tracer, etc. would become useless if we could take away abilities. And those are only a few of the heroes that rely on them. Really, it would be game breaking if it wasn't an ult, and even then, it would still be a little too powerful.

Like, Zarya wouldn't even be played because every Sombra would target her and even Rein to some extent. Them not having shields is capable of winning team fights, and that's too powerful for an average ability, and to some extent, an ult.

Tovarisc

But is it worth dropping for Ana nade? I said she would be support, but like Symmetra she isn't going to replace a healer. So you would have Ana + Lucio + Sombra, and three tanks or two tanks and a DPS. It all depends on how versatile she is.

Silence would be so powerful ability that it totally would be worth it to look into 1 healer + Sombra or 3 support builds.

Nimby

Banned
Characters who rely on abilities like Rein, Zarya, Roadhog, Tracer, etc. would become useless if we could take away abilities. And those are only a few of the heroes that rely on them. Really, it would be game breaking if it wasn't an ult, and even then, it would still be a little too powerful.

Like, Zarya wouldn't even be played because every Sombra would target her and even Rein to some extent. Them not having shields is capable of winning team fights, and that's too powerful for an average ability, and to some extent, an ult.

The grenade would have to abide by their shields too. It wouldn't effect anyone Zarya bubbled or behind a Rein shield.

Encountered my first afk bot in the brawl. An Ana that just stood there shooting one direction the whole match. Hiding in easy too since you can't really lose even when people are trying to photobomb.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The grenade would have to abide by their shields too. It wouldn't effect anyone Zarya bubbled or behind a Rein shield.

Which to me would mean zarya and rein just become even more mandatory while
other characters get shafted hard.

ohkay

Encountered my first afk bot in the brawl. An Ana that just stood there shooting one direction the whole match. Hiding in easy too since you can't really lose even when people are trying to photobomb.
Why would someone do that with the brawl and not quick play?

Owzers

Had some great comp games just now with a team of five and then six, I don't know if anyone besides biscuit is on gaf from the team, but I need more of this and Zarya teammates who enable me to have fun as rein as opposed to solo q where bastions set up by the spawn and I lose hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom