• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Do you ever think we'll get a Brawl that ups the player count? I think that could be fun, but I don't know how the engine might handle it.

Also I keep trying to branch off from Pharah, but I keep coming back...

Do you ever think we'll get a Brawl that ups the player count? I think that could be fun, but I don't know how the engine might handle it.

Also I keep trying to branch off from Pharah, but I keep coming back...

So, basically Ground War from MW2?

That was my favorite mode, so hopefully we do, but I doubt they'd ever make something like that into a brawl.

Nimby

Banned
So you're saying that because she has an OP ability, the rest of her kit should be shit?

That's terrible game design. That's why Zen got buffed in the first place.

That is absolutely not what I said. Do you think a character w/ a silence ability as their main support shouldn't have caveats?

Zenyatta can deal damage at the cost of slow moving projectile, Lucio can escape easily but can't deal reliable damage, Ana deals damage over time and in small amounts compared to other snipers. D.Va has high HP, but can only deal damage up close, Winston's damage is fragmented, Roadhog has to hook combo to one shot which in turn can easily be baited and it boils down to mind games.

This is literally the method used to balance most characters in the game.

EDIT: The Zen example was just to show that the effectiveness of an ability also depends on the effectiveness of the hero. Teleporter in theory should be a good ability, but because Symmetra is weak all around and has problems with her teleporter, she doesn't see much use.

And I don't want a silence ability in truth. I just think Sombra is going to have one, especially if they want to fill out the support and tank roles. If she was a tank it would be inconsistent with the current tank 'philosophy' (unless she has a mech like D.Va which is unlikely). There's not much support abilities left, I can really only think of silence.

ramyeon

Interestingly enough I've started losing more when playing in groups than solo queue nowadays. Had some great games in comp solo queue this week and a bunch of losses when grouped up.

Why would someone do that with the brawl and not quick play?

QP is easier to notice a bot staying in spawn. In the brawl it's not unusual to see people staying by the door. Also if the person wants exp the brawl is better consistently, even on easy.

The bot was just shooting one direction so it's not even an aim bot. Just a mouse clicker probably just so they don't get kicked for afking.

Tovarisc

On Saturday went from 2300-ish to ~2550 and today from that to 2675. Makes one wonder if I'm having some weird luck streak even when there was draws and defeats mixed in quite a bit.

Still #FeelsGoodMan

DevilDog

Sombra will be a dps hero.

Primary: Regular Uzi and she holds it like she's from the West side of Compton.

1st ability
: Cloak. Cloacks for a while, completely unseen, unable to perform any act until she is out of it.

2nd ability: No clue. Something that will increase her dps more.

Ultimate
: Enemies cannot use ultimate abilities for x amounts of seconds.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
You know that's totally not the same thing, lol. Console aiming is an approximation of mouse aiming but nowhere near as precise. Fight stick vs pad comparisons don't work here because, for the most part, it's just up to player preference.

That's why I made winky face lol ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Game honestly doesn't need more DPS heroes

and if Sombra's a flanker, that's going to make life even worse for people in the solo queue with all the flank playing 'all stars'

antitrop

Just got a 45mb update in XBO. Anyone know what this is?

Ṡ̡̝̣̳̙͔̻̆̑͞ͅo͍̫͊̾̍̈́ͪ̓ͩ͆͟m̡̺̖̯͙̳̈̋͑b͎̰̭̏̅̄ͥͫ̄ͅr̴͍̝̃̒͟ả͖̭͎̝ͤ̋ͯ͂̽ͭ̚͘ͅ

Blues1990

Game honestly doesn't need more DPS heroes

and if Sombra's a flanker, that's going to make life even worse for people in the solo queue with all the flank playing 'all stars'
Well, there are six Offense & Defense heroes, so it would only make sense for the Tanks or Support Heroes to round it up.

Nimby

Banned
Cloak. Cloacks for a while, completely unseen, unable to perform any act until she is out of it.

I want her to be an offense with that cloak ability. Although I think she should be able to shoot while she is cloaked. Lines in the game sort of support this, "Unseen enemy detected" "There is a hidden enemy near"

I think in order for them to say this she needs to be able to perform an action while cloaked. Also, the cloak should be noticeable while not being noticeable at the same time. Something obvious if you were looking for it, but has the opportunity to catch you completely off guard especially if something else is drawing most of your attention.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fuck sombra, symmetra should get the cloak.

Like really, in my mind her kit is perfect as a backline sabotager if she has a cloak.

Well, there are six Offense & Defense heroes, so it would only make sense for the Tanks or Support Heroes to round it up.
Except they just added a support and if that leaked pic is real, she doesn't look like a tank at all.

Also, to continue on the silence thing, even though shields can block it, you realize that would just mean we need those heroes even more, right? And even then, she will still be able to silence plenty of enemies. Honestly, this would be a mandatory character, even if the rest of the kit is worthless.

Silence would 100% be a mandatory ability. Prepare for that to have a 100% pick rate. Honestly that sounds more OP than pre nerf Genji.

Tovarisc

If that pic with her in it is legit then she don't really fit other boxes than attack or support. Too slim and unprotected look for being tank.

TBH I want Sombra to have a cloak. If it means Widow and Hanzo can detect it with their abilities. Also if turrets can also detect it then all the better.

Sombra needs to be Anti-any team without detection.

Tovarisc

TBH I want Sombra to have a cloak. If it means Widow and Hanzo can detect it with their abilities. Also if turrets can also detect it then all the better.

imo turrets shouldn't detect her if she had cloak ability. Also make it shimmer more when she moves making her easier to detect, this would promote more predator style approaches. Sombra still could be spotted with bare eye, but shimmer would be minimal.

Antiwhippy

Really though, I don't think having another defense character would be too much seeing that there's only 1 in the game right now.

imo turrets shouldn't detect her if she had cloak ability. Also make it shimmer more when she moves making her easier to detect, this would promote more predator style approaches. Still Sombra could still be spotted with bare eye, but shimmer would be minimal.
Shimmer when standing, but no shimmer when crouching?

^^^ WHY DOES EVERYONE FORGET HANZO. HES GOOD TRUST ME.

darklin0

Banned
Don't forget Hanzo ;__;

I never forget Hanjo. I never seem to have a good one on my team, it is always the ones that suck. ]:

Yeah he's a pretty good attack hero.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

Tovarisc

Shimmer when standing, but no shimmer when crouching?

^^^ WHY DOES EVERYONE FORGET HANZO. HES GOOD TRUST ME.

I think she should shimmer no matter what stance she is in. Even if shimmer was very minimal when standing or crouching still. Maybe have shimmer be less aggressive if moving while crouched than it's when moving while running. Having shimmer would make her more counterable and still require certain level of skill and paying attention to detail in order to spot shimmer.

This game is so unfair to the support class in terms of SR. Had 5 matches today, 3W-1D-1L, my SR went from 3243 to 3245 lol. Wins gave me 17-2-15 and the loss took me 32. Obviously the average SR of the teams matters, but it's kind of stupid since I'm soloQ.

Won a game with a Sym on my team for the second time this season, so it wasn't all bad :)

Antiwhippy

I dunno, even when I feel like I'm doing shit as support the least I'll ever get is 20. Most times as support I gain 24-30 and losses are around 24.

imo turrets shouldn't detect her if she had cloak ability. Also make it shimmer more when she moves making her easier to detect, this would promote more predator style approaches. Sombra still could be spotted with bare eye, but shimmer would be minimal.

Only reason why I included turrets is to increase the utility of the current turret users which is pretty abysmal as is.

Having only Hanzo/WM as detectors kinda push Sombra into very OP category with a cloak even if it's something with a shimmer. Having 4 people as detectors makes it a tad manageable.

Oh god I became THAT guy.

Eichenwalde match in Comp, I'm playing Mercy. Team fight happens underneath the overhead bridge that leads to the entrance of the actual bridge near the door. I decide to hide a bit once I see my team all at Critical and stand underneath the team fight in the castle. Get a 5 man rez and start teabagging and spray the wall because I figure someone else would get PoTG.

I get play of the game.

Hhhhhhhhhh

Kuro

This game is so unfair to the support class in terms of SR. Had 5 matches today, 3W-1D-1L, my SR went from 3243 to 3245 lol. Wins gave me 17-2-15 and the loss took me 32. Obviously the average SR of the teams matters, but it's kind of stupid since I'm soloQ.

Won a game with a Sym on my team for the second time this season, so it wasn't all bad :)

Had a mercy main friend that got ranked at 2500 after placement while playing with our group. She started solo queuing a whole bunch and dropped down to 1300

I dunno, even when I feel like I'm doing shit as support the least I'll ever get is 20. Most times as support I gain 24-30 and losses are around 24.

That's around of what I was winning in plat, wins/losses were always around ~25SR, while with offensive characters it would be like 30W-20L. But now on diamond, unless I'm on a winning streak, my gains are really poor. Don't really mind that much though, in the end what matters is that the games are fun.

Sombra will be another useless defense character. huehuehueheue
Mei is alright

I think Junkrat is very good in some maps. Mei is a good character overall, and Hanzo is a beast in the right hands.

Torbjorn is the best though :)

Had a mercy main friend that got ranked at 2500 after placement while playing with our group. She started solo queuing a whole bunch and dropped down to 1300

That sucks :(

Kurumi

Sombra will be a dps hero.

Primary: Regular Uzi and she holds it like she's from the West side of Compton.

1st ability
: Cloak. Cloacks for a while, completely unseen, unable to perform any act until she is out of it.

2nd ability: No clue. Something that will increase her dps more.

Ultimate
: Enemies cannot use ultimate abilities for x amounts of seconds.

30Jzhjj.jpg

So, it'd kind of be how the TF2 Spy's default cloak works?

- Toggle invisibility and have it on a cooldown / duration system similar to D.VA's matrix
- You'll shimmer for a brief moment when you (de)activate it, once it's about to run out, you bump into someone; get hit
- Things like Hanzo's Sonic Arrow and Widowmaker's ult can still detect you like normal.

Edit: I'd use some of my coins for a Sombra skin if she has a hooded outfit with her skull as a mask, or a highlight intro that corrupts the announcer voice line and screen.

Tovarisc

So, it'd kind of be how the TF2 Spy's default cloak works?

- Toggle invisibility and have it on a cooldown / duration system similar to D.VA's matrix
- You'll shimmer for a brief moment when you (de)activate it, once it's about to run out, you bump into someone; get hit
- Things like Hanzo's Sonic Arrow and Widowmaker's ult can still detect you like normal.

Pretty much. You could spot Spy's if you knew what to look for, especially if they got close when cloaked. Still cloak was powerful tool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Still think cloaking would be a pretty horrible skill in OW. There's so much reliance on teamfights and general spam happening in choke points you would just get crossfired without mobility to reach alternate routes.

Antiwhippy

Sombra ability 1: disable 1 person's abilities for a set period
Ability 2: Reverse controls for a set period
Ult: Area of denial that denies ult use

I basically want a character that's so annoying people will direct their hate for mei onto her. ;_;

Still think cloaking would be a pretty horrible skill in OW. There's so much reliance on teamfights and general spam happening in choke points you would just get crossfired without mobility to reach alternate routes.

The only way it could be useful would be if she had a backstab or a similar ability that requires/encourages flanking the enemy team.

I basically want a character that's so annoying people will direct their hate for mei onto her. ;_;

Unfortunately, I don't think anything like this will ever happen.

Tovarisc

Most of maps do offer quite a bit room to flank and setup predator like traps with cloak. In final choke pushes of certain maps you don't need assassin type of hero so you just swap to something more fitting.

I know Reaper and Tracer can be considered to be assassin types, but their skillsets increase their mobility enough to make them viable in choke brawls.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The problem is the game has so much DPS, whether it's offence or tanks. It implies to people that the g roup makeup should be 1-1-4 because of all the DPS like an mmo. When in reality, 1-1-4 is pretty shitty. More DPS is just going to continue to encourage that mentality of people who don't know better

I wish that there was a setting to disable aim assist while scoped with snipers. I just turned it off with widow and it's so much easier to land shots because your aim speed is consistent - with aim assist on it slows down considerably over targets.

But then it's helpful when she is using the auto mode. Ugh.

Squire

Banned
Fuck sombra, symmetra should get the cloak.

Like really, in my mind her kit is perfect as a backline sabotager if she has a cloak.

I heard this weekend Sym is the one they'd be willing to consider a big rework for. I hope they do 'cause Sym's fuckin' boring tbh. 25 shields is lame. Waiting behind corners to get the jump on people is lame. Waiting to get the teleported is up is lame.

It's funny you mention Sombra here. I'm happy she seems to have her SMG as primary fire because it means she can actually engage in a direct firefight to some extent. That's the most critical thing missing from Sym's kit, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom