• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatjuhR

I agree with you on taking out the healers on low level play. That is very much do-able.

But in higher levels it doesnt work like that. Pick Widowmaker to kill their healer, fine, but who is going to save your Widowmakers ass from enemy Reaper?

I agree with you on taking out the healers on low level play. That is very much do-able.

But in higher levels it doesnt work like that. Pick Widowmaker to kill their healer, fine, but who is going to save your Widowmakers ass from enemy Reaper?

There's a problem if Reaper is killing Widowmaker.

I am not super high SR (like 2300), but it is striking how few people in competitive will refuse to switch to get a good team comp. Maybe this is advice that is pervasive in my noob level tier, but I feel that on many maps (not always), it is hard to win without at least 2 support and ideally 2 tanks (of course if you're a god you don't need, but given skill matching, both teams tend to play at the same level).

And very often i'll find myself in a game where there is one tank, no healer, or no tank (!) and no healer. And getting anyone to play healer is like pulling teeth.

I don't mind so much so I often end up playing Lucio (I really like Mercy , but let's be honest, besides feeling good about myself, she can be a bit of a bore to play since she is almost entirely passive). But sometimes I wish I could play some other roles. Also while I end up playing Lucio a whole lot I still find it hard to find a really good use for his skate on the walls ability.

(I like to play cancerous Mei and I actually tend to win many games I play with her. I play a fair amount of Rein but am struggling to find a balance between being offensive and tank).

edit: and just to be clear I am not the annoying guy who pesters everyone to switch during set up :)

I don't agree with removing Ult charge on death, but as an idea, what if they take after Splatoon a bit and do it so you lose a percentage on death? In that game, guns with more utility lose more percentage on death, about 75% while slightly less useful ones only lose 25%.

Maybe it could be DPS and Defense characters lose 75% or some high percentage, Tanks lose 50% and Support lose 25%? Would prevent priority killing Supports nonstop to prevent Ultimates for them, making them NOT frustrating as hell to play.

DevilDog

Yeah, fair enough. Deflect is kinda cheesy imo, you can shoot him in the back and he still deflects. The fuck kinda bs is that.
That is definently not the case. Genji can't deflect anything hitting him in the back.

Who has a higher skill ceiling than genji?

Genuinely asking because on console even with revamped controls I'm garbage with him yet all the top ps4 pros (lol right) main him.

Mccree, widow, tracer, soldier have infinite skill caps, meaning that improving with them can never stop.
Genji on the other hand has a skill ceiling but its really high anyways. His projectile based shurikens means that he is very luck dependant outside of short range. Hitscan heroes don't have that.

GeeTeeCee

I'm starting to gain a great appreciation for a good Winston play. Even if I'm just leaping in and getting wiped out by the enemy team, there's been a bunch of times when we've won games because the enemy team is too busy trying to get the giant rage monkey out of their midst instead of contesting the objective as the clock ticks down.

Next up on the list of characters to improve as: Zarya.

PatjuhR

I'm starting to gain a great appreciation for a good Winston play. Even if I'm just leaping in and getting wiped out by the enemy team, there's been a bunch of times when we've won games because the enemy team is too busy trying to get the giant rage monkey out of their midst instead of contesting the objective as the clock ticks down.

I agree with you on Winston. So much fun aswell.

As I'm trophy hunting I decided to pick him anytime there is a Symmetra on the enemy team so I can try to destroy 10 of her turrets without dying, but I have so much fun. You can be dead very quickly. But Rage Mode is hella fun and can be usefull aswell.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, i disagree that projectiles take no skill because it's lucked based. There's a lot of skill involved in leading and prediction, and closing down the luck based nature of it is an infinite skill cap by itself if we consider hitscan aiming an infinite skill cap.

Cappa

Banned
I am not super high SR (like 2300), but it is striking how few people in competitive will refuse to switch to get a good team comp. Maybe this is advice that is pervasive in my noob level tier, but I feel that on many maps (not always), it is hard to win without at least 2 support and ideally 2 tanks (of course if you're a god you don't need, but given skill matching, both teams tend to play at the same level).

And very often i'll find myself in a game where there is one tank, no healer, or no tank (!) and no healer. And getting anyone to play healer is like pulling teeth.

I don't mind so much so I often end up playing Lucio (I really like Mercy , but let's be honest, besides feeling good about myself, she can be a bit of a bore to play since she is almost entirely passive). But sometimes I wish I could play some other roles. Also while I end up playing Lucio a whole lot I still find it hard to find a really good use for his skate on the walls ability.

(I like to play cancerous Mei and I actually tend to win many games I play with her. I play a fair amount of Rein but am struggling to find a balance between being offensive and tank).

edit: and just to be clear I am not the annoying guy who pesters everyone to switch during set up :)

Its the same in the 2500s, 2800s, 3000s.... unfortunately you will always get people who refuse to switch from their mains regardless of the situation.

Winston is very underrated, in the right hands he can cause some mayhem.

Eh, i disagree that projectiles take no skill because it's lucked based. There's a lot of skill involved in leading and irreducible, and closing down the luck based nature of it is an infinite skill cap by itself if we consider hitscan aiming an infinite shill cap.

At last, Whippy shows his true colors.

Its the same in the 2500s, 2800s, 3000s.... unfortunately you will always get people who refuse to switch from their mains regardless of the situation.

Winston is very underrated, in the right hands he can cause some mayhem.
The idea of having one main is very strange to me - what do you do when someone picks it before you? Or if it's clearly not working with given team comp?
I play regularly with roughly 5 characters. Being the designated healer I should probably learn Ana given how much of a PAIN her ultimate can be on a good rein.

PatjuhR

Btw, I wanna thank some people for advising jump on L2 and boop on R3 with Lucio. It feels so natural. First game I played that I almost got the floor is lava trophy. I was at 2, when something lured my whole team away from from the checkpoint as an enemy Rein was charging in. Didn't win the 1 vs 1.

The Battle.net client has other patch notes. There is some background optimization going on; that's why the patch is so big.

Changes for XP: 1-13 is the same; 14-100 is reduced; 100+ is 20K, no resets. The reason:

Is this change affecting consoles any time soon?
I'm level 91 now, and will hit 100 over the weekend, and I'm gonna be super mad if I have to get 20k XP per level after 100 because I was a day or two short.

DevilDog

Is this change affecting consoles any time soon?
I'm level 91 now, and will hit 100 over the weekend, and I'm gonna be super mad if I have to get 20k XP per level after 100 because I was a day or two short.

Nobody knows, not even Blizzard probably, they are there to be tested and some might never go to live.

Nobody knows, not even Blizzard probably, they are there to be tested and some might never go to live.

OK, that's sort of a relief.
I'm not too bothered about the change, it's just that I've dropped all other games these past 3 weeks to get to level 100 so I can get the 22 quick loot boxes during Halloween.

Danj

Anyone got any tips for doing the Junkenstein brawl on Medium by the way? Or is it just that you need to do it with a group of 4 rather than trying to solo Q?

The Battle.net client has other patch notes. There is some background optimization going on; that's why the patch is so big.

Changes for XP: 1-13 is the same; 14-100 is reduced; 100+ is 20K, no resets. The reason:

Aww man. Still, I do know a bunch of people who did that (waiting to prestige until the seasonal event started). So I guess they want to drive more people towards buying lootboxes during the seasonal periods.

Mendrox

Anyone got any tips for doing the Junkenstein brawl on Medium by the way? Or is it just that you need to do it with a group of 4 rather than trying to solo Q?

On Medium? SoloQ is easily managable. Hard mode is where the problems are.

What is your problem on medium?

Azoor

Learn the pattern of where enemies come from and emphasis that McCree should get nano boosted and use his ultimate on bosses.

That is definently not the case. Genji can't deflect anything hitting him in the back.

So I looked it up and you are indeed correct.
I've shot a deflecting genji while he is running away and seen hit markers while his health remains the same.

I'll chalk that up to it hitting him more to the side, lag, or mild hallucinations.

Cappa

Banned

On Medium I find it to be quite easy.... I only did Solo Q maybe you just had really bad luck with bad teammates.

Okay guys we need all attack on defense and one healer.

Whut?

You were the healer though right? RIGHT?????

Most of the stuff you mentioned are good things. People would still play healer they just wouldn't be as necessary because big team fight ults wouldn't occur unless one team massively snowballed. As for Symmetra, she just needs a ground up rework. She simply wouldn't be the same character.

This is the sixth OT and in every single thread there is just the same constant conversation. My team did this and picked X so we lost. Blah blah ELO hell blah blah on and on. Chaos is precisely what you want. Ults being effectively "kill streaks" is what you want. All concerns about "team comp" go out the window in this system. When a single kill can mean so much everyone has a place. When staying alive and getting kills mean more it means YOU yourself have more power in dictating the game's "tempo." It effectively adds another factor to adjust for balancing purposes. Characters with easier to farm ults would have a justified place versus other characters without having to directly compete with them. For example, Soldiers ability to keep himself alive better than McCree would insure that he gets more ults on average which gives him his own niche and so you wouldn't have to worry about power creeping him with regards to his damage which is what is already happening in the PTR. One of Overwatch's main balancing issues in general is that so many characters compete for the same space. An ult drop system gives a lot more "breathing room" in the game's design because you have a balancing point for easy to gain but mediocre ults, and super high impact ults but harder to farm and therefore a bigger risk of not getting any ult at all.

While I disagree with your perception of the balance, I do believe that trying out ult charge getting dropped on death just to see what happens is exactly what the PTR should be for. It's a fundamental system change that would affect the gameplay down to the core, but might be beneficial in the long run.

In solo queue, It's basically the flanker's job to deal with Widow. Genji is obviously ideal but Reaper is still a pretty good counter if you manage to teleport somewhere without LOS for them.

Widow is typically a Reaper counter. I'm not particularly good with her, but they never give me much trouble. It's usually the job of someone like Genji or Winston to deal with her. I often just headshot Reaper as soon as he's dumb enough to teleport right next to me.

Of course, I also mostly play Widow on attack, so that might make a bit of a difference.

maomaoIYP

Took a bit of dicking around, but I managed to capture a close up of witch Mercy with her naughty smirk.
CvSWmGZUEAAQIwH.jpg:large

This new PTR update. It says all Ults have been increased by 25%. Then it goes on to say Mei's Ult has been increased by 15%.

Does this mean Mei's Ult has now been increased by 40% or that she lucks out once again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom