• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta have those 3 Hanzos and 2 Junkrats, man.

And those 3 Meis. I mean fucking really, game? Ice walls and cryos all over the damn place. And you're gonna penalize people for quitting out of that shit? I mean, I don't. But I can hardly blame people for doing so.

Why can't we have dumb mode for all the people who wanna stack?

Cappa

Banned
so I unlocked the Junkenstein skin for Junkrat, to bad I despise everything about Junkrat. Cool skin though.

Thought Id share my experience with a Hanzo yesterday in Comp.

Me: Hi Hanzo, can you use your ult please? We´re all using our ults try to capture the last Point (in Anubis) and you not using your ult is not helping us man

Hanzo: Oh shoot I didnt realize I was in competitive. ***dies, switches hero to Tracer with about 30 seconds left and never once uses his Hanzo ult*** lol

I immediately turned off my mic because I had no words....

And those 3 Meis. I mean fucking really, game? Ice walls and cryos all over the damn place. And you're gonna penalize people for quitting out of that shit? I mean, I don't. But I can hardly blame people for doing so.

Stack Pharahs and that matchup becomes a nightmare for Mei.

I meant it more as i would never get close to being grandmasters.

Whippy pls

I know sarcasm when I see it.

I was slowly climbing my way up through the ranks by myself. My highest score was 2788.

Then I play some competitive games with friends.

I'm now at less than 2200 and I can't get out. It's just loss, loss, win, draw, loss, loss. People down here seem to have no idea about team work. They all just instalock their favourites without a single thought about the group.

I want to be back up there. It wasn't the best, not by a long way, but it's a lot better than down here.

fhqwhgads

Bad time to play ranked. PSN maintenance means all 5 of my matches have had leavers getting kicked out of their matches, including myself. I just know I'm going to get slapped with a penalty next time I play.

Jellie

Losing in first round koth. Suddenly make a come back before realising they were a man down. Guy comes back in the second round at exactly the same time as three of his team leave after giving up due to the leaver. He then left. Felt bad for the two who stayed.
Gladly take the points though

ISOM

Man losing 50 points when your team is shit and picks bad compositions while you're healing your their ass off is painful.

I was slowly climbing my way up through the ranks by myself. My highest score was 2788.

Then I play some competitive games with friends.

I'm now at less than 2200 and I can't get out. It's just loss, loss, win, draw, loss, loss. People down here seem to have no idea about team work. They all just instalock their favourites without a single thought about the group.

I want to be back up there. It wasn't the best, not by a long way, but it's a lot better than down here.

I feel your pain, my highest was 2970 and even then i felt like one of the better players, but having dropped a few hundred playing sub 2600 is unbearable. Maybe a good DPS player could carry a team but as i main tank / support its nearly impossible. Even games where i have 4 golds with Zarya are still losses when the team scatter to chase kills.

If anyone fancy's gaining some easy ranks im about 600+ below my SR.

I fucked up and gave an attack Torb too much praise after we were able to capture the first point on Hollywood during our initial Attack, so he takes it to mean that he should play attack Torb again during our tiebreaker

I regret ever saying I wasn't salty at an attack Torb for once in my life

Want to know what's worse than an attack Torb? A high-maintenance attack Torb who thinks he always needs to be first in line for healing. I had one of those in a competitve match where I'm throwing my whole Ana arsenal at on the objective just to keep my team above critical but this guy is hiding out spamming that he needed healing. He started raging and got piled on by the rest of the team. We took the payload pretty far despite him but on the next round he more or less threw the match for us and they took it all the way.

I feel your pain, my highest was 2970 and even then i felt like one of the better players, but having dropped a few hundred playing sub 2600 is unbearable. Maybe a good DPS player could carry a team but as i main tank / support its nearly impossible. Even games where i have 4 golds with Zarya are still losses when the team scatter to chase kills.

I'll be on this evening, I played with a gold friend and went on a losing streak like a week ago so I'm a little under ranked too. (~2800) Gotta get you your diamond!

Banzai

I found a productive use for games where everyone on your team but yourself has left. I always ask the enemy team to gift me four kill achievments I don't have yet. I think I'll ask for floor is lava next.

I'll be on this evening, I played with a gold friend and went on a losing streak like a week ago so I'm a little under ranked too. (~2800) Gotta get you your diamond!

Sounds good to me!! time to do some power levelling.

It would be awesome to have 1-2 more to get that solid core team comp. I think letdown is away for the week if i remember correctly... or maybe that was just the weekend.

adburns

Has anyone playing solo competitive just given up on this game?

My starting rank was 2900 but I've now dropped down to the 2380. I don't know if it is the matchmaking or something else but I'm sick to fucking death of winning 1 game in 10.

I'm not expecting to win every game but it is literally win 1 lose 10. With the way the game is at the moment there seems absolutely zero chance of getting back to my starting rank.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MUnited83

For you.

My starting rank was 2900 but I've now dropped down to the 2380. I don't know if it is the matchmaking or something else but I'm sick to fucking death of winning 1 game in 10.

I'm not expecting to win every game but it is literally win 1 lose 10. With the way the game is at the moment there seems absolutely zero chance of getting back ti my starting rank.

Solo Queue is absolute hell in my experience. You'll just be coupled with teams that have no idea how to play the game more often than not.
I wish I had a group of decent EU PC players to play with :(

Cappa

Banned
PSN seems down. I can't access the Playstation Store right now, even on browser.

what else is new?

I'm not expecting to win every game but it is literally win 1 lose 10. With the way the game is at the moment there seems absolutely zero chance of getting back to my starting rank.

Ive only Solo Qd, got placed in 2400s, dropped down to 1900s, went up to 2600s, now back to 2300s. IT goes in spurts....

Blues1990

Zarya's laser can penetrate D.va's DM while has nothing on Mei's ice !

I'm down with playing with some new faces. Are you playing the PC version, per-chance?

Whats up with McCree mains letting Genjis and Pharahs wreck us?

McCree Main on PS4 gold tier.

I lick my chops when I see a Pharah in the sky. I will usually punish Genji and Tracers as well. When they team up on me tho, that's when things get a little hard to handle.

Im also not a fan the hammer noob, unless I get a stun on Tracer. I do struggle a bit with reapers, but I'm gettin better.

Any Cree mains have tips for Reaper? Can't flash and fan because he can wraith out.

caesar

Banned
McCree Main on PS4 gold tier.

I lick my chops when I see a Pharah in the sky. I will usually punish Genji and Tracers as well. When they team up on me tho, that's when things get a little hard to handle.

Im also not a fan the hammer noob, unless I get a stun on Tracer. I do struggle a bit with reapers, but I'm gettin better.

Any Cree mains have tips for Reaper? Can't flash and fan because he can wraith out.

But you're not supposed to fan tracer?

Kysen

Blizzard explained recently that a huge number of people got placed too high, effectively inflating gold and platinum. You might have been placed too high. What was your S1 SR?

caesar

Banned
Why is that? It's easier than a headshot unless I get the stun directly in front of me.

Stun only seems to last like half a second.

Headshot guarantees the kill, fan gives her a chance to recall or blink away. It's hard on ps4 I guess.

Also vs genji you can flash him when he is deflecting if you aim above the deflect. Not everyone seems to know this.

Headshot guarantees the kill, fan gives her a chance to recall or blink away. It's hard on ps4 I guess.

Also vs genji you can flash him when he is deflecting if you aim above the deflect. Not everyone seems to know this.

Ok, that's understandable. I've definitely had Tracer recall on me goin for the crit sometimes, but FTH lands 3 hits before the stun ends.

Didn't know about the over the head on Genji, so thanks for that. I usually try to bait the deflect and flash at my feet when they immediately dash afterwards.

I learned to flash above a Rein shield from watching AKM. It's very effective.

Usually play Tracer/Reaper, but I've been practicing Genji a lot in QP and wrecked shit with him last night in comp.(or idk maybe we just played bad teams) Upping my sensitivity to near max has helped a lot.

I never have more than one Mei, and Mei is funnily enough one of the rarest picks I see in my games. Hanzo is by far the most picked, then probably Junkrat (and almost every time I pick Junkrat first, someone else picks him too), and then it peeters off and is something between Genji, Widow, Bastion, Torb and D.Va.

Wait, you get penalized for quitting a QP game?

You don't if you quit A QP game. However, if you start quitting many in short succession, then you get a leaver penalty which iirc is longer queue time. But the game even warns you before you reach that point.

You know, despite this game being on the PC and Xbox One, I'm surprised that there are more PS4 users in this thread. It's really weird.

It seems like the OW GAF Discord has become the bastion (hehehe) of PC OW GAF, and the OT is occupied by the PS4 players.

Fancolors

I've been watching/listening to a lot of Overwatch YT channels and a whole bunch of them have their own solution to climb on solo queue and it usually involves the selfish/self-sustaining heroes like Soldier and Hog, so it feels kinda refreshing when you find someone like Skyline, who doesn't go that way, even if I don't agree 100%.

matmanx1

Not given up but I have stopped playing competitive until I improve in several areas. I've done exclusively QP or Brawl for quite a while now and I've most definitely rediscovered the fun. Being able to play whoever I want, whenever I want with no stress to have to perform or maintain SR has really helped me calm down and enjoy the game.

We get trapped in the mindset that SR is the most important thing and it's not. The most important thing is fun and enjoyment. Increasing SR and the satisfaction that comes from winning are just components of having fun and enjoying yourself. That's the reason we get so tilted when our team members in a Comp match aren't making good hero picks or performing well; that SR decrease feels like the worst thing in the world and we want to avoid it at all costs.

Going back to QP, who cares if someone makes a silly hero pick. It's QP, right? Nothing of real value lost. And we have to take that same attitude into Comp play that SR really has no lasting value and ultimately it just does not matter beyond that moment and this one game.

I'm still working on that attitude. Mentally I know it's the right answer but actually putting it into practice is tough. Like many of you I am very competitive and want to win. So until I can be satisfied with my personal performance and have consistent fun even in a losing situation (which I do in QP all the time) I am staying out of Comp. This is a temporary restraint that I have placed on myself. I am hoping to try out Comp again within the next week or two and see if I can approach it with a new, more positive attitude regardless of the outcome.

Edit - Now I sound like a sports psychologist. The long and short of it is that there's a healthy way to approach winning and losing so let's be healthy!

I almost entirely solo queued from around 2600 to 2900, but I lately I've been playing with a 4-6 stack and going 4-3 or 3-4 every night, which isn't getting me anywhere.

Part of me wants to try solo queueing again at this rank, but eh. I'm afraid of the variance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom