• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how McCrees ult can sometimes safely secure you that last push on payload. My team was having trouble getting those last few meters until I jumped behind Rein and hit my ult. I knew I wouldn't get any kills. But from past games I've learned it's a great way to force people to hide. Especially if you let the ult count all the way down.

Brofist.jpeg

Main thing I use it for, they scatter like roaches when it's high noon.

I feel like diamond should be harder to get into. Or rather, the way to rank up should maybe be tweaked a bit or something.

If I see a diamond icon I want to be able to assume that this person understands the game (team comp, ult management, how to play after a pick, etc) but it seems like lots of people just found their way into diamond by instalocking a DPS and just being a little bit better than everyone else in 1v1's or something.

I should not have to tell 3000+ rank players that we don't need 3 DPS or 'hey you switched off healer? That might be important to tell us' or 'what do you mean you aren't good with any Tank or support characters?' I would ALWAYS prefer to have a platinum player who understands the game over that guy.

Not really sure what could be done without a major algorithm change. Something like less SR if you win too many games in a row with one character, or getting more for winning as a tank, support, DPS. Especially for switching mid game (which seems to hurt more than help SR gains at the moment). I know there are a bunch of problems with something like this, but these players should not be in diamond. Or maybe they should be and I have to get to master to consistently be matched with people like that, but I'm not good enough for master :(

There definitely needs to be some SR adjustment so that it doesn't favor elims/DPS like it does now. I regularly play support over DPS, and yet my biggest gains are when I get golds with a DPS but never when I'm doing awesome as support/getting 10,000+ healing a match.

Also in my quest to go from Gold to Platinum, any time I saw a Diamond on my team or the opposite team, I figured they were going to be the ones to watch out for. Instead it was usually the opposite - they actually usually sucked. Which would make sense since they had fallen back to the 2300-2400 range despite being Diamond.

I love how McCrees ult can sometimes safely secure you that last push on payload. My team was having trouble getting those last few meters until I jumped behind Rein and hit my ult. I knew I wouldn't get any kills. But from past games I've learned it's a great way to force people to hide. Especially if you let the ult count all the way down.

I usually find and then charge right at the McCree while firing like a mad man, just because it forces him to use it quickly instead of waiting for the optimal shot. I may end up sacrificing myself but he usually only gets me.

Draws are the worst. They feel like a waste of time. Hopefully they figure something out for season 3.

If my team is a 100SR underdog and we tie, can I at least get a little bit of SR? Seems fair to me, I dunno.

Geneijin

Has anyone playing solo competitive just given up on this game?

My starting rank was 2900 but I've now dropped down to the 2380. I don't know if it is the matchmaking or something else but I'm sick to fucking death of winning 1 game in 10.

I'm not expecting to win every game but it is literally win 1 lose 10. With the way the game is at the moment there seems absolutely zero chance of getting back to my starting rank.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I might be getting there even though I barely played more than a week. The losing doesn't bother me (or so I say). It's how my team loses. Now I'm not saying I'm faultless, but in Overwatch where it's a 6-man team, I can only take so much responsibility (currently 1700 SR). Hanamura A is my most favorite example. There's practically two entry ways as you know. Imagine the attackers ignoring the window especially the ones that play Mccree and Soldier 76 and you get stalled at the foot of the fort. Oh, how I wish more people would be more versatile and switch to Genji, Tracer, or Pharah to penetrate. It would defeat so many of the lame stall tactics people used with Bastion there. And then, there's the fact people refuse to focus on healers (and protect them). You could be the best healer but it don't mean anything if 3 ATK heroes (3!) can't kill anything against 2 tanks and 2 healers amazingly. You can either focus on your own game and take the losses as a grain of salt or you can try to be more suggestive with what the team should do. It's why I've started to play more Lucio again (and not because of the meta) because if me being Lucio doesn't force you to play more safely, a Mercy won't either. Either way it's stressful because you're forced to butt heads with junk rats who are as stubborn as you. Except for me, they're also Symmetra, Torbjorn, Bastion, Hanzo etc.

xaosslug

Draws are the worst. They feel like a waste of time. Hopefully they figure something out for season 3.

If my team is a 100SR underdog and we tie, can I at least get a little bit of SR? Seems fair to me, I dunno.

i don't mind draws since apparently the game either sees them as a (no sr) win or doesn't count them as a loss at least, so it doesn't interrupt a winning streak. :)

This is also the sensitivity I use, and it works great for me. I may play around with a 45/20 or 50/20 in QP soon tho. I feel like 20 for vertical is perfect atm for me.

I think Blizzard messed up the vertical sensitivity, it's way too fast if you match it with horizontal. There's has to be a reason why the default vertical sensitivity is slower than the horizontal.

I think the sweet spot for most players will be 35-60 horizontal (for players new to the genre or console FPS in general, 15-40 should be tested before moving up to higher sensitivities), the way aim assist works in the game, it's catered to tracking and less about being able to flick shot. The projectile characters (Hanzo/Junkrat/Pharah) do benefit from slightly higher sensitivities than your other heroes, however I'm not liking 100% aim assist for these heroes. Reason being that you want to lead your shots when you use projectiles (since they are slow), but the aim assist will direct you to where they are currently standing and not where they are going to be.

xaosslug

My starting rank was 2900 but I've now dropped down to the 2380. I don't know if it is the matchmaking or something else but I'm sick to fucking death of winning 1 game in 10.

I'm not expecting to win every game but it is literally win 1 lose 10. With the way the game is at the moment there seems absolutely zero chance of getting back to my starting rank.

everyday I tell myself I'm not doing SoloQ again, but every day I have at it. LOL

smileyblackfillccull.gif

i don't mind draws since apparently the game either sees them as a (no sr) win or doesn't count them as a loss at least, so it doesn't interrupt a winning streak. :)

Didn't know about it not breaking a streak. That's the reason I just made that post as I'm currently on a 3 game streak. So that's cool I guess.

Still, it's a bit lame when you hold off the 'better team' and get shit for your effort.

I think Blizzard messed up the vertical sensitivity, it's way too fast if you match it with horizontal. There's has to be a reason why the default vertical sensitivity is slower than the horizontal.

I think the sweet spot for most players will be 35-60 horizontal (for players new to the genre or console FPS in general, 15-40 should be tested before moving up to higher sensitivities), the way aim assist works in the game, it's catered to tracking and less about being able to flick shot. The projectile characters (Hanzo/Junkrat/Pharah) do benefit from slightly higher sensitivities than your other heroes, however I'm not liking 100% aim assist for these heroes. Reason being that you want to lead your shots when you use projectiles (since they are slow), but the aim assist will direct you to where they are currently standing and not where they are going to be.

The aim assist is strong as a bitch in this game. I turned that shit down to 50 immediately.

fhqwhgads

Plat continues to be a gigantic pile of crap. Bastion/Reinhardt/Mercy in every game and so many brain dead teams have no fucking clue how to deal with it. Sure, let's stand in the same spot spamming the shield and make no attempt to take out Mercy before she rezzes the whole team.

The aim assist is strong as a bitch in this game. I turned that shit down to 50 immediately.

They need to do something with it, it might be too strong for some characters like Zarya/Mei/Bastion (I main Zarya and Mei, so not biased here). The other day I was wondering why I've been running into so many bastions as of late, most with terrible game sense so it didn't bother me. Then I used bastion in QP... he basically aims himself... mind you it was one game, but I'll be experimenting with this shortly, I have a total of 48 minutes with him when I have at least an hour or more with everyone else.

Geneijin

Plat continues to be a gigantic pile of crap. Bastion/Reinhardt/Mercy in every game and so many brain dead teams have no fucking clue how to deal with it. Sure, let's stand in the same spot spamming the shield and make no attempt to take out Mercy before she rezzes the whole team.
People just don't understand how vulnerable Mercy is (maybe if they had to play her sometimes, they would).

eek5

People just don't understand how vulnerable Mercy is (maybe if they had to play her sometimes, they would).

People have zero awareness of what's going on around them. Yesterday I had a genji that would just flank all the way around and kill me over and over. After about 4 times I asked the team to help and maybe switch to winston to focus him and they were like nah genji is garbage he hasn't even killed me yet. No shit guys hes ignoring everything to just pick me and zen off non-stop. How do people not understand this -_-

Blues1990

I seriously wonder why players don't make it their goal to take out an enemy Mercy when they see her. When I'm nano boosted by Ana, I make a b-line to the support heroes (Mercy=Ana, Zenyatta, then Lucio on my pecking order) and make it my mission that they can't do shit.

eek5

I slid down to 2100 in soloQ. I might just be terrible at this game though. Nothing I do seems to make a difference. :(

All I do is solo Q and it definitely blows some days. If you do manage to go on a win streak, the game will put you with people on a losing streak.

Just now I was on a 4 game win streak. I get paired with a 5 stack who entered team chat. I'm like, alright guys let's do this I'm on a win streak. They reply, shit dude...we've lost like 5 strait.

We go on to get absolutely crushed, can't even cap Hollywood...other team caps it in like 1 minute.

It's not the first time I've had streaks busted this way either, shit is crazy.

ohkay

People have zero awareness of what's going on around them. Yesterday I had a genji that would just flank all the way around and kill me over and over. After about 4 times I asked the team to help and maybe switch to winston to focus him and they were like nah genji is garbage he hasn't even killed me yet. No shit guys hes ignoring everything to just pick me and zen off non-stop. How do people not understand this -_-
At that point I'd just switch to take care of him, even if it screws up the comp. If you and the other support can't do your job, it'd be a net gain of at least let the zen do his

matmanx1

I've been watching/listening to a lot of Overwatch YT channels and a whole bunch of them have their own solution to climb on solo queue and it usually involves the selfish/self-sustaining heroes like Soldier and Hog, so it feels kinda refreshing when you find someone like Skyline, who doesn't go that way, even if I don't agree 100%.

Skyline is my new favorite Overwatch Youtuber. He's positive, he's instructional and he's easy to learn from. The guy is extremely underrated and a relative unknown since he hasn't had a channel for very long but I don't expect that to last. He's too good not to get a lot of views and likes.

I feel like diamond should be harder to get into. Or rather, the way to rank up should maybe be tweaked a bit or something.

If I see a diamond icon I want to be able to assume that this person understands the game (team comp, ult management, how to play after a pick, etc) but it seems like lots of people just found their way into diamond by instalocking a DPS and just being a little bit better than everyone else in 1v1's or something.

I should not have to tell 3000+ rank players that we don't need 3 DPS or 'hey you switched off healer? That might be important to tell us' or 'what do you mean you aren't good with any Tank or support characters?' I would ALWAYS prefer to have a platinum player who understands the game over that guy.

Not really sure what could be done without a major algorithm change. Something like less SR if you win too many games in a row with one character, or getting more for winning as a tank, support, DPS. Especially for switching mid game (which seems to hurt more than help SR gains at the moment). I know there are a bunch of problems with something like this, but these players should not be in diamond. Or maybe they should be and I have to get to master to consistently be matched with people like that, but I'm not good enough for master :(

You are completely right and I can only hope that the more Comp seasons we have the better Blizzard will get at the placement and SR algorithms. Right now there's a lot of head-scratching shenanigans and general lack of game knowledge being exhibited by a large percentage of the player base.

I don't envy Blizzard the task of trying to figure out the whole SR thing when there's SO many variables to account for but it has to get better, right? (Hopefully)

DevilDog

Switch to your pistol and communicate with the zen. Mercy and zen vs genji is a win every time.

aeolist

Banned
Lassiz is playing with an aimbot Tracer

You can clearly tell she's cheating, because she locks on through walls.

https://clips.twitch.tv/lassiz/GlamorousRaccoonTwitchRaid

https://clips.twitch.tv/lassiz/LivelyOysterOMGScoots

https://clips.twitch.tv/lassiz/CarefulLarkShazBotstix

EDIT: Apparently three people in the game are cheating? Including the McCree on his own team... jeez

that game was hilarious but looked frustrating as hell. fortunately they were pretty bad players.

komaruR

Just lost two of my placement games in a row. Can't carry the absolute worst players with Zarya. Got gold elims, damage etc. but my team was always dead. Constantly telling people to combo my graviton but of course the Hanzo sends a dragon from spawn or the Dva who decides to throw her ult into a Rein shield.

Definitely ending up in silver :(
well, atleast theres only going up from there?
hopefully?
1-9 in my last 10 competitive matches, lol. What a damn joke. None of them were even competitive, just complete steamrolls.
are you on the receiving or giving end?
This is also the sensitivity I use, and it works great for me. I may play around with a 45/20 or 50/20 in QP soon tho. I feel like 20 for vertical is perfect atm for me.
I play on 70/70 and im accurate as f* :p Well yea, it depends on person to person. I use 70/70 on mccree and its fine for me. Just play what you're comfortable. With the dual-zone, atleast the outer sens is high enough for you to turn 180-360 faster (still not as fast as pc mouse :( ).

Get rid of placements and start everyone at 0 SR.

I'm sure there's some major flaw in that idea, but I'm not a game designer.

Yeah I've just recently started tweaking the sensitivity. I also play McCree and think I want to up my horizontal some more. I've been boosting by 5 gradually, and I'm getting more accurate by the day.

I really should start to up the vertical as well, so I can snap to Pharah quicker I suppose.

Just lost 2 in a row, and they weren't even close. Startin to tilt, so gonna take a break.

Normally I'd just keep playin, but I'm around 2050 now and DO NOT want to dip below 2k...again.

aeolist

Banned

it'd be the same problem as now only worse. they had too many people placed into gold/plat and not enough into the upper and lower tiers, so there's a huge variance in skill within a small variance in SR. when you have very good and very bad players in the same range the games you get are even more of a crapshoot than you would normally.

people would have to play a lot more games to get sorted into their correct rankings and the initial clusterfuck would be so bad a lot of them would probably stop playing. if they did that i wouldn't even bother.

edit: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749698219

When Season 2 started, we had WAY more players in Gold and Platinum than we initially intended, and way fewer in Bronze and Silver. This was the result of how we calculated your initial SR for Season 2. We tried to partially reset player SR at the start of Season 2, but the results were not as we expected. Instead, below-average players started Season 2 at a higher SR than they should have been given their performance in Season 1. This meant that as they played in Season 2, their SR would often drop to a lower value, which didn't feel great. It also meant that there was a much wider variation of skill in the Gold and Platinum tiers than we wanted. This is something we want to avoid in Season 3.

starting everyone at 0 would be the exact opposite of what they've said they want to do

AngryMoth

1 win away from my career high and get matched with a team so bad I get 5 golds as Ana.

Also, the leaver ban system needs to be more harsh cos I'm still seeing people who quit after 1 round of KotH, or an unsuccessful payload defence. If you do that on the regular you should be perma-banned by this point in the season. Also people who quit just before they lose, what the heck is the point in that? Just wait 30 seconds and avoid the penalty.

How bout you get placed on how well you performed in your role? You also gain or lose SR depending how well you played your role?

I don't know, would probably solve the no one wants to play support thing at least.

aeolist

Banned
How bout you get placed on how well you performed in your role? You also gain or lose SR depending how well you played your role?

I don't know, would probably solve the no one wants to play support thing at least.

the biggest problem i have with SR gain/loss is that they even try to make it particular to each player. an algorithm will never be able to really say how much any one person contributed to a win or loss and trying to do so will just distort the system. it should be a flat number gained across the winning team and the same number lost for the other side, based only on the difference in rank.

if no one on a team wants to play support then they should lose anyway.

komaruR

I agree to that 0 SR starting. Atleast the better players will keep raising in theory and the carried players will eventually get stalled. +I want to get rid of the stupid season high tier emblem. Just show everyone's SR instead. Just don't make sense to see a diamond emblem with a bunch of gold/plat players. It even induce psychological defeat to opponents mind.
I personally find they should span the tiers equally. how is master and bronze get to span a 1000SR range while others are just 500? Just make it equally 500 or 1000. In this addition, will atleast prevent too high tier of a team getting match with a low low tier team and get steam rolled.

antitrop

I personally find they should span the tiers equally. how is master and bronze get to span a 1000SR range while others are just 500? Just make it equally 500 or 1000. In this addition, will atleast prevent too high tier of a team getting match with a low low tier team and get steam rolled.
Yeah, when StarCraft II first came out they did it this way:

Bronze: 20%
Silver: 20%
Gold: 20%
Platinum: 20%
Diamond: 18%
Master: 2%
Grandmaster: Top 200

At least then the leagues actually meant something. I haven't played StarCraft II in years, but apparently they've changed that game's leagues to the same thing that Overwatch does now.

the biggest problem i have with SR gain/loss is that they even try to make it particular to each player. an algorithm will never be able to really say how much any one person contributed to a win or loss and trying to do so will just distort the system. it should be a flat number gained across the winning team and the same number lost for the other side, based only on the difference in rank.

Yeah that seems like it could work.

I agree to that 0 SR starting. Atleast the better players will keep raising in theory and the carried players will eventually get stalled. +I want to get rid of the stupid season high tier emblem. Just show everyone's SR instead. Just don't make sense to see a diamond emblem with a bunch of gold/plat players. It even induce psychological defeat to opponents mind.

I like the idea of 500SR between ranks.

0-500 bronze, 500-1000 silver etc...

adburns

I've been watching/listening to a lot of Overwatch YT channels and a whole bunch of them have their own solution to climb on solo queue and it usually involves the selfish/self-sustaining heroes like Soldier and Hog, so it feels kinda refreshing when you find someone like Skyline, who doesn't go that way, even if I don't agree 100%.

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

matmanx1

Yeah, to my mind, this seems like a more logical system. But then again, I'm not a game designer either. All I know is the current system seems to have more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

Moonkeis

DPS only players have the most narrow mindset when it comes to team comp. We have 1 tank (me), 4 dps, 1 healer going in on attack when the other team is in full turtle mode. We push in, but even with 4 DPS, nothing is being killed. You have the Junk and Genji asking everyone else to take out the turret...? I'm willing to give any team comp a shot, but after 3 attempts, no go, I even asked nicely to switch things up. Such a easy win to take over one point, but players just want to end up in a draw for no reason.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah, to my mind, this seems like a more logical system. But then again, I'm not a game designer either. All I know is the current system seems to have more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

dota 2 does it this way and it's fine. it can take longer for you to reach your "true" placement since there's no streak bonuses or other nonsense but not having huge swings in rank is more of a plus than a minus.

AngryMoth

Shit, I think it's happened again....

Bought the Dark Souls DLC and it just finished downloading but I just wanna keep playing Overwatch

eek5

Switch to your pistol and communicate with the zen. Mercy and zen vs genji is a win every time.

Yeah I killed him a couple times. I think towards the end I just got super tilted lol

At that point I'd just switch to take care of him, even if it screws up the comp. If you and the other support can't do your job, it'd be a net gain of at least let the zen do his

Yeah, true. I was doing an OK job keeping people alive even though they weren't keeping me alive so it was tough to make a switch.

Redmoon

The problem is that even the worst players aren't bad enough to place at below 500.

You would have literally zero people in bronze.

Same with the upper 500 SR.
The amount of people that exist at 0-500 and 4500-5000 combined is way too low while taking up 20% of the SR range..

I even asked nicely to switch things up. Such a easy win to take over one point, but players just want to end up in a draw for no reason.
Is it even possible to get people to change, no matter how nice you ask? It feels like reverse psychology. The moment you ask, all hope of them changing is lost =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom