• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, new heroes and maps should be faster. I don't expect them to follow the schedule of a MOBA since FPS are more complex but still.

"Should be" or "I'd like them to be"?

Because those are two very different things, one of which may not be possible, or at least not without losing something in the process.

I-hate-u

I just Sombra to release so that we can talk about new shit already. Just as a reminder, Sombra was rumored even before Ana was revealed.

The next character has to be Black because there is non in the game. There are 2 Omnic ffs.

I just Sombra to release so that we can talk about new shit already.

Like how the next character has to be Black because there is non in the game. There are 2 Omnic ffs.

I mean, I know Lucio isn't African-American and I also know that his skin isn't pitch black, but I would argue he certainly could count as black, especially given that we don't know his heritage beyond the nationality.

If anything, I'd rather see less American characters since out of 23 heroes, 3 are American. No other nation has as many heroes (2 at most, for both Egypt and Japan).

NeoRaider

I would like one or two new modes. I feel like we have enough maps for now, and heroes too. But this game desperately needs more gameplay variety.

Cappa

Banned
He's Brazilian tho. He is Hispanic (or Latino cause they speak Portuguese).

Which is why I edited from the USA part because I assumed you dont count Lucio as black because hes Brazilian which dosnt make sense because there are a ton of Brazilians who have deep heritage roots in Africa and are "black" just because they speak portuguese doesnt mean they are not black or more "politically correct" have African heritage.

So you want a black American character or someone directly from Africa? I

Geneijin

I'll mute it if it gets bad, but I think if I just turned it off completely, I'd probably just quit OW and find another game.
Voice chat isn't a prerequisite for me playing a multiplayer game. I've played fine when Dota All-stars was still a Warcraft 3 mod without it. Overwatch is a long game. Longer than a best of 3 set in a fighting game. I don't need to deal with that for ten minutes straight despite the positives. I'm just playing the game. I'm not oppose to chatting, but I don't need the interaction you could say.

That's how I feel aiming at Mei. The freeze wouldn't be so bad if it didn't affect my mouse sensitivity honestly.

I mean, it all kind of depends on which person is doing the callouts. When you play a role like Reinhardt or Support, you are heavily reliant on the rest of your team to be able to perform for you to be able to rank up. You can't necessarily carry with these roles unless you duo queue and synergize well. If I am playing Lucio on Comp, my best chance for improving my rank is shot-calling. I need to communicate with my team so that we stick together, take the same path, and I can speed boost when I need to. If I am playing Reinhardt on Comp, I need to be sure we have a plan to push together so that people will actually follow me and stick behind my shield. Or I have to say something like "hey junkrat, stop spawncamping them and get to the high ground behind my shield".

Of course, this is a bit different from your team's McCree complaining about heals when he can't even hit his shots. But shot-calling and team communication is generally important to gain wins, especially for your supports and tanks.
Of course. But I don't need that to perform. The confrontation isn't worth the toxicity despite the positives for me. Besides, I'm seldom compelled to have a mic to chat. Just not my thing.

And speaking of which, I could indefinitely live without voice chat more if the voice macros were any way comparable to Counterstrike. Can't believe there isn't anything like "Enemy spotted" or "Watch the flank."

I-hate-u

So Brazilians can't have African heritage?

I see what you're saying, and they can.

Which is why I edited from the USA part because I assumed you dont count Lucio as black because hes Brazilian which dosnt make sense because there are a ton of Brazilians who have deep heritage roots in Africa and are "black" just because they speak portuguese doesnt mean they are not black or more "politically correct" have African heritage.

So you want a black American character or someone directly from Africa? I

Yeah I get it now. You're right. I just looked it up and there Afro-Brazilians who are brazilians with African descent. The fact that there is a term like that means there are a lot of Black Brazilians. I was ignorant on the matter.

I think Blizzard does. For what it's worth, I do as well.

Yeah, he's black. Didn't know till today, and I am a Lucio main.

I would like one or two new modes. I feel like we have enough maps for now, and heroes too. But this game desperately needs more gameplay variety.

Heroes bring as much gameplay variety as modes do, especially if you allow multiple characters fill similar/identical roles (mind you, that does not mean that they have to have identical abilities - just abilities that can do similar things).

Currently, there's only one actual proper tank. Winston can tank in specific situations, and D.Va and Zarya can off-tank, but neither are the kind of tank that Reinhardt is.
Lucio is the only character who can alter the speed of the game. And incidentally, he also is the only AoE/passive healer.

If you expand the roles to have 2 or 3 heroes for each, it will give the game a lot more variety. Because then you won't almost always need the Reinhardt, and you won't almost always have to use the Lucio, etc. That changes the game up a lot as well and brings lots of varied gameplay, since then the comps aren't going to look the same all the time.

I think Blizzard does. For what it's worth, I do as well.

Plus, there's Pharah and Ana, who are literally African, so now I'm actually not sure what the complaint is.

To be fair, while Egypt is geographically part of Africa, speaking culturally, historically, politically and even in terms of linguistics, it is Arabic, and is considered being part of the Middle East.

Currently, there's only one actual proper tank. Winston can tank in specific situations, and D.Va and Zarya can off-tank, but neither are the kind of tank that Reinhardt is.

I think all "Tank" really means to Blizzard in the case of this game is "dude with a shit ton of health."

Hence, Roadhog.

I agree, new heroes and maps should be faster. I don't expect them to follow the schedule of a MOBA since FPS are more complex but still.

It's not just that FPS games are more complex. It's also that they've made movement and navigation abilities a core part of the game, which means that either new characters have to have zero mobility (see Ana) or they have to extensively test across every map in the game and potentially tweak the maps to make the character work.

Also, we have high expectations for skins and emotes, and the legendary skins are often entirely different character models. That's extra art design, modeling, etc, at a much higher fidelity than a MOBA.

I originally really wanted to see one new hero per month. What I'm realizing is that if Blizzard actually moved at that pace, the new heroes would have to be significantly less interesting.

I think all "Tank" really means to Blizzard in the case of this game is "dude with a shit ton of health."

Hence, Roadhog.

I know, but that doesn't mean that there can't be other "proper" tanks in the game. In fact, there has to be eventually, if you ask me.
There's several ways you can make this happen without just copying Reinhardt's shield barrier.

For instance, you can have something similar to Mei's ice wall, but being a proper barrier that your allies can see and shoot through while being protected. Or a hybrid between Zarya's bubble and Reinhardt's shield by making a projected barrier that works like Reinhardt's shield but with reduced health and a duration that can be put on allies. Or you can have a proper defensive aura that reduces damage coming in significantly. Or you can have a "blur" effect that makes headshots impossible and maybe even giving you a chance to evade shots entirely.
And that's just from the top of my head.

Basically, what Overwatch needs to truly thrive and sustain itself is at least 2 or 3 characters in the main roles that are played within mid- to high-level games. But that's just what I think. Obviously you may disagree.

Mendrox

It's not just that FPS games are more complex. It's also that they've made movement and navigation abilities a core part of the game, which means that either new characters have to have zero mobility (see Ana) or they have to extensively test across every map in the game and potentially tweak the maps to make the character work.

Also, we have high expectations for skins and emotes, and the legendary skins are often entirely different character models. That's extra art design, modeling, etc, at a much higher fidelity than a MOBA.

I originally really wanted to see one new hero per month. What I'm realizing is that if Blizzard actually moved at that pace, the new heroes would have to be significantly less interesting.

There is literally no difference from Mobas that push out more in that case.

I dont play Mobas but how many times do lol and dota end up getting broken with the amount of characters they have?
Seems you need to do alot testing there.

I know, but that doesn't mean that there can't be other "proper" tanks in the game. In fact, there has to be eventually, if you ask me.
There's several ways you can make this happen without just copying Reinhardt's shield barrier.

For instance, you can have something similar to Mei's ice wall, but being a proper barrier that your allies can see and shoot through while being protected. Or a hybrid between Zarya's bubble and Reinhardt's shield by making a projected barrier that works like Reinhardt's shield but with reduced health and a duration that can be put on allies. Or you can have a proper defensive aura that reduces damage coming in significantly. Or you can have a "blur" effect that makes headshots impossible and maybe even giving you a chance to evade shots entirely.
And that's just from the top of my head.

Basically, what Overwatch needs to truly thrive and sustain itself is at least 2 or 3 characters in the main roles that are played within mid- to high-level games. But that's just what I think. Obviously you may disagree.

I'm sorry, but I'm not super familiar with MMO/MOBA terminology. What exactly would a "proper" tank's role/job be?

Cappa

Banned
maybe its because i have only been playing Overwatch for 3-4 months but Im fine with the content.

My only complaint is not having available some of the things that are available on PC.

maybe its because i have only been playing Overwatch for 3-4 months but Im fine with the content.

My only complaint is not having available some of the things that are available on PC.

I'm believe pretty much everything that's on PC is also on console, other than stuff that's not super viable like text chat.

Exactly, would it be possible to make PTR available on console?

It's been brought up multiple times, and no, it would not be possible given the time they need for certification along with the much smaller playerbase on console.

Probably also something else I'm forgetting.

Mitigating the damage that comes towards their team. Roadhog only accomplishes this by being a bigger target (and getting picks).

Doesn't everyone other than Roadhog fit that description then? They've all got some kind of protective ability.

I'm sorry, but I'm not super familiar with MMO/MOBA terminology. What exactly would a "proper" tank's role/job be?

I don't play MMOs or MOBAs either. :p

Basically, a "proper" tank is a character with high defense/health, the capability to draw fire upon himself, mitigate that damage, and thus protect his squishy teammates who actually deal the damage. Tanks also usually are the ones who press the advance and push forward, and thus are crucial for initiation.

So for Overwatch, Reinhardt has this massive shield wall that people can hide behind and shoot through. By comparison - D.Va has the defense matrix, but that one is only for a short duration and a very limited size. Zarya has her shield bubbles, but those only have 200 health, only target one teammate and herself, and are active for a very short duration. Roadhog, as the least tankiest tank, can just be a meatshield and mitigate taken damage by healing himself, which however is the worst option since that gives enemies ult charge.
Winston is the closest to being able to tank next to Reinhardt, and Winston also is very capable of initiating fights, which is also why Winston is picked in certain situations and maps. Sadly the shield dome he has is nowhere near as versatile and powerful as Reinhardt's barrier.

Chance

What Red Arremer said. Nearly all the tanks are powerful against specific abilities - a D.Va DMing a death blossom, for example - but Rein is by far the purest tank.

I am well aware of what the purpose of Winston and D.Va is, and those distraction/flanking semi-tanks are a perfectly fine role that both of these characters - and to a lesser extent even Roadhog - fulfill. But as you can see, there's already 2/3 characters in this role. There is nobody else but Reinhardt in the proper protective tank role, which is my whole point. Reinhardt should not be the (nearly) exclusive option for tanking.

cant you customize the communication wheel on PC? Also how is text chat not viable? It works for Rocket League.

You don't need to communicate nearly as much in Rocket League. I've never seen anyone playing on console use it other than after a match, and I couldn't imagine stopping for like 30 seconds at a time to type out a message using the on-screen keyboard.

Finally getting around to watching the World Cup matches I missed on Monday, and Gods with his hoodie up is almost as cool as this guy:
7q6jQqJ.gif

AngryMoth

I agree that some more modes would be good but the thing I want most is more heroes.

If you think about it, with the "standard" comp being 2/2/2, there are 12 dps heroes to choose from yet only 5 for tank and support to fill the same number of spots in a team. I would definitely like to see more heroes added to those classes

DevilDog

I'm glad you understand the complexity behind it and there are still so much more you've missed, but things are still moving at a very slow pace. At this point we could be looking at 2-3 new heroes every year.
Maybe they are slowed down by their push into esports or the seasonal events. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

"Should be" or "I'd like them to be"?

Because those are two very different things, one of which may not be possible, or at least not without losing something in the process.

Both. Even when they took their time with ana, she is still stupid 4 months after release.
Just throw new characters in and rework old ones, don't let things get stale even if the balance isn't perfect.

Doomfist is likely to be black based on the posters in nambani but they make it pretty obvious that it's a mantle instead of a specific person.

Could be any gender/race.

LiK

I would like a Chinese guy. if he spoke Cantonese, even better altho maybe I would get sick of him announcing his Ult.

Doomfist is likely to be black based on the posters in nambani but they make it pretty obvious that it's a mantle instead of a specific person.

Could be any gender/race.

The third Doomfist seems to be definitely of male stature and body type. I can't imagine that silhouette belonging to a woman. I'm going to go even so far and say that it's likely either going to be a cyborg like Genji or a full Omnic.

I would like a Chinese guy. if he spoke Cantonese, even better altho maybe I would get sick of him announcing his Ult.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liao was going to be the next hero after Sombra, and they are very likely going to be Chinese.

There is lore out there for that original overwatch member who was Asian. Dunno about his specific ethnicity though, I think is name was Lao? Not sure.

Maybe they are slowed down by their push into esports or the seasonal events. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Both. Even when they took their time with ana, she is still stupid 4 months after release.
Just throw new characters in and rework old ones, don't let things get stale even if the balance isn't perfect.

You've probably answered your own question regarding why everything is as slow as it is, and they're not gonna just throw in a bunch of shit that may or may not work as if the game is still in beta or something.

I honestly don't think this is big of an issue as you seem to think it is. Most people seem pretty content with the content that they have and will keep coming back as long as new stuff continues to be released. Even if they don't, Blizzard already has their money, so they don't exactly matter at this point.

I had a dream last night where I was being chased by a permanently nano-boosted Reinhardt that was trying to kill me.

...I may play a little too much Overwatch.

DevilDog

You've probably answered your own question regarding why everything is as slow as it is, and they're not gonna just throw in a bunch of shit that may or may not work as if the game is still in beta or something.

I honestly don't think this is big of an issue as you seem to think it is. Most people seem pretty content with the content that they have and will keep coming back as long as new stuff continues to be released. Even if they don't, Blizzard already has their money, so they don't exactly matter at this point.

I never questioned why they are slow. Only stated that they are so damn slow.

Also that is exactly what they did with ana. I remember a dev video talking about her, and the dude was saying that we throw her in and see what happens.

Lastly, this is my opinion. I don't like it that things are so slow but don't claim to know what the majority thinks.

I agree with your last point though, it's one of the negatives of paying up front. We'll see what they have in store of us later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom