• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_oca9pf9rFb1sdxw0zo7_500.jpg

Awesome. If there was a way to like posts, I would totally like this.

gutshot

This seems like an odd time to complain about no new characters being added to the game considering we are only a couple of days away from a new character being announced...

I also wouldn't be surprised if they revealed more than just Sombra. Last Blizzcon they revealed 3 new heroes and not all of them were teased ahead of time.

Also that is exactly what they did with ana. I remember a dev video talking about her, and the dude was saying that we throw her in and see what happens.

I figured you meant just throw them in before they're even really close to complete. Like, Symmetra with 10 teleporter charges and giving 75 shields levels of incomplete. As in, "There's no way this shit is balanced, but let's just throw it out there and see exactly how bad it gets."

Speaking of which, it's possible they may speed up the release of content as they figure out what sort of stuff works and what doesn't. Do keep in mind that this their first FPS, and they're understandably not experts with these things.

Awesome. If there was a way to like posts, I would totally like this.

Just send any and all donations directly to my PayPal account.

Fancolors

Currently in a lose streak. And all of them happened the moment someone decides to say 'you suck DPS lemme do this instead'.

A lot of times it seems that the problem with ordering someone to change is that people pick their heroes because they believe they can win with them and also they are more comfortable with it. There's nothing worse than a DPS main who doesn't know how to keep his shield up.

This seems like an odd time to complain about no new characters being added to the game considering we are only a couple of days away from a new character being announced...

I also wouldn't be surprised if they revealed more than just Sombra. Last Blizzcon they revealed 3 new heroes and not all of them were teased ahead of time.
iirc they said in a dev video that they don't want to release multiple heroes at the same time, because they did in the closed beta and it made everything a giant mess for a while. It was impossible to try and assess which balance complaints were legitimate because there was way too much to adjust to at once.

Then he would have a human name, wouldn't he?

Genji Shimada's name didn't change to <.>> [--[ [( after he got his enhancements.

But perhaps Genji Shimada is written <.>> [--[ [( if translated to Omnic script.
Numbani is supposed to be a place of peace and harmony between humans and Omnics, which is probably why the country adapted the Omnic language. If you look around the map itself, you see several street signs also written in the same script.

So while the name displayed on that poster might not be "beep beep zero one one zero boop boop", it is at the very least translated into Omnic scripture.

I also believe that this is a deliberate decision by Blizzard in order to have people speculate on what kind of person Doomfist III is going to be.

Yea, one that is more similar to Zen. Hope he trash talks the Omnic haters during matches.

That would be so fun/cool. Kind of like how Reaper and Widow act so antagonistic to Tracer, 76, Mercy, DVa, and Ana.

I'd love Doomfist to have something harsh to say to Zarya, Torbjorn, and Zenyatta.

But perhaps Genji Shimada is written <.>> [--[ [( if translated to Omnic script.
Numbani is supposed to be a place of peace and harmony between humans and Omnics, which is probably why the country adapted the Omnic language. If you look around the map itself, you see several street signs also written in the same script.

So while the name displayed on that poster might not be "beep beep zero one one zero boop boop", it is at the very least translated into Omnic scripture.

Then why are the first two names not also written in Omnic?

I'm not saying your wrong, but if you are correct, then someone at Blizzard has some terrible logic.

I don't think accepting all lifestyles and cultures includes changing people's names to whatever they feel suits them best.

Kiro

I think Sombra will go ptr live at blizzcon (or tuesday immediately after) but they will show off 1 or 2 more characters that are in testing as well as couple maps or modes. Blizzard knows they have something big on their hands and they know blizzcon they can gain or lose a lot of momentum.

Cappa

Banned
You don't need to communicate nearly as much in Rocket League. I've never seen anyone playing on console use it other than after a match, and I couldn't imagine stopping for like 30 seconds at a time to type out a message using the on-screen keyboard.

You can connect your phone to PS4 as well and use it as a kb. With the 1:00 of prep time you get before every match and the fact that on consoles either 1)No one has a mic or 2)People that probably use mics are in group chat and dont switch to team chat I think having text functionality would be awesome on console.

In 1:00 you can find out who has a mic, strategy, who people feel comfortable playing with etc. People are more than likely to communicate via text than voice chat. I understand while the game is going on its going to be counter productive to use the text chat feature but isnt it counter productive do the same on PC anyway?

I just think its silly that we do not have this option on console.

I think Sombra will go ptr live at blizzcon but they will show off 1 or 2 more characters that are in testing as ell s a couple maps or modes. Blizzard knows they have something big on their hands and they know blizzcon they can gain or lose a lot of momentum.

They've already mentioned that they have another character in development, although their art is apparently not finalized. Of course, that wouldn't stop them form showing concept art or something.

Azoor

I think Sombra will go ptr live at blizzcon (or tuesday immediately after) but they will show off 1 or 2 more characters that are in testing as well as couple maps or modes. Blizzard knows they have something big on their hands and they know blizzcon they can gain or lose a lot of momentum.

I think it's a given that we won't get any map or mode until next year, but they can tease us with it.

Looking forward to Sombra though !

Nah. Sombra will be exclusive at Blizzcon for play. They want all those streamers getting their hits and subscriptions to keep those hotspots on Twitch and such.

She'll hit the PTR on the 8th. And we might get her on the 15th, maybe.

We might not get her until the 22nd, since that's closer to the end of Season 2.

You can connect your phone to PS4 as well and use it as a kb. With the 1:00 of prep time you get before every match and the fact that on consoles either 1)No one has a mic or 2)People that probably use mics are in group chat and dont switch to team chat I think having text functionality would be awesome on console.

In 1:00 you can find out who has a mic, strategy, who people feel comfortable playing with etc. People are more than likely to communicate via text than voice chat. I understand while the game is going on its going to be counter productive to use the text chat feature but isnt it counter productive do the same on PC anyway?

I just think its silly that we do not have this option on console.

I've literally never heard of this feature, and I've delved relatively deep into what kind of options the PS4 has, so I'm going to guess that 99% of people don't even know this exists. I don't see Blizzard making a major function of the game so dependent on such an underutilized feature of the console. Plus, that doesn't even take into account Xbox players, who have no such feature as far as I know.

We might not get her until the 22nd, since that's closer to the end of Season 2.

They released Ana in the middle of Season 1. Blizzard don't give no fuck.

Then why are the first two names not also written in Omnic?

I'm not saying your wrong, but if you are correct, then someone at Blizzard has some terrible logic.

There's many possible reasons why Doomfist III is depicted with Omnic scripture. Here's 2 that I can think of from the top of my head:

The usage of language/script also reflects on the history of the country of Numbani. By using the Latin alphabet, the museum makes a statement that Doomfist I and II were before the time that Numbani embraced the union between Mankind and Omnics.

Or Doomfist III himself wants his name to be written in Omnic for whatever reason. That might be because he is an Omnic of course, but it also could be because he wants to represent that harmony between both peoples (being a cyborg would emphasize this as well, half man half omnic), or because he grew up on the Omnic alphabet or identifies himself more with Omnic culture because, for instance, he was an orphan who was adopted by Omnic parents or something like that.

That Omnic script, while heavily hinting at Doomfist III being an Omnic, does not necessarily prove that he is. However, we can surely consider him to be someone who wants to fight for Omnic rights and equality, regardless of what people he belongs to.

I think it's a given that we won't get any map or mode until next year, but they can tease us with it.

Looking forward to Sombra though !

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule#fri-nov-4
"Join the Overwatch developers as they discuss the newest heroes, maps, brawls, and gameplay features in Blizzard’s team-based first-person shooter."

We'll probably get a glimpse at the new Symmetra, and maybe they'll show off some of the new Brawl ideas they've been working on.

There's many possible reasons why Doomfist III is depicted with Omnic scripture. Here's 2 that I can think of from the top of my head:

The usage of language/script also reflects on the history of the country of Numbani. By using the Latin alphabet, the museum makes a statement that Doomfist I and II were before the time that Numbani embraced the union between Mankind and Omnics.

Or Doomfist III himself wants his name to be written in Omnic for whatever reason. That might be because he is an Omnic of course, but it also could be because he wants to represent that harmony between both peoples (being a cyborg would emphasize this as well, half man half omnic), or because he grew up on the Omnic alphabet or identifies himself more with Omnic culture because, for instance, he was an orphan who was adopted by Omnic parents or something like that.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but these sound so convoluted. I'd rather the character just be Omnic, and that's all there is to it.

Azerare

I'd personally like him to be Omnic. At least we got genji for the cyborg split.

Nah. Sombra will be exclusive at Blizzcon for play. They want all those streamers getting their hits and subscriptions to keep those hotspots on Twitch and such.

At this point I don't even care about playing as Sombra - I just want to know what she is and her abilities so all the speculation and 10 minute videos about one leaked picture can stop. As long as she's revealed this weekend I'm fine with it.

It'd be nice if they also do kind of a "this is what we have planned" at Blizzcon too, so we have a rental time schedule to look forward to. But I'm not expecting much.

That Omnic transcript, while heavily hinting at Doomfist III being an Omnic, does not necessarily prove that he is.

That's way too much subtext for something that you'll typically only see for a couple seconds at most.

It's also completely nonsensical.

Geneijin

I am well aware of what the purpose of Winston and D.Va is, and those distraction/flanking semi-tanks are a perfectly fine role that both of these characters - and to a lesser extent even Roadhog - fulfill. But as you can see, there's already 2/3 characters in this role. There is nobody else but Reinhardt in the proper protective tank role, which is my whole point. Reinhardt should not be the (nearly) exclusive option for tanking.
I hate playing Reinhardt and I hate that the meta - casual or pro - demands his use. If Reinhardt weren't on teams, Roadhog can pick off so many people :lol

They released Ana in the middle of Season 1. Blizzard don't give no fuck.

I can't remember where I saw it, but Jeff flat out said that he regretted releasing Ana mid season, and that he doesn't ever want to do that again.

I hate playing Reinhardt and I hate that the meta - casual or pro - demands his use. If Reinhardt weren't on teams, Roadhog can pick off so many people :lol

As a Roadhog main, I love enemy Reinharts. Their shields are easy to break, and grabbing them out of their charge is super easy. Plus, you can get pretty good about timing when to hook them during their flame strike.

I'd personally like him to be Omnic. At least we got genji for the cyborg split.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that he doesn't necessarily have to be an Omnic.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but these sound so convoluted. I'd rather the character just be Omnic, and that's all there is to it.

That's way too much subtext for something that you'll typically only see for a couple seconds at most.

It's also completely nonsensical.

How is it nonsensical or too convoluted, how does it have too much subtext? Are you saying that the lore for this game so far hasn't had any subtlety or subtext to it at all? Because from what I've been seeing, reading and watching, there's a lot of subtext. There's a lot of convoluted plotlines. There's a lot of things that is being said between the lines.

I'm sure there's a reason why Blizzard specifically picked that language and script to be used for that tease for Doomfist III.

How is it nonsensical or too convoluted, how does it have too much subtext? Are you saying that the lore for this game so far hasn't had any subtlety or subtext to it at all? Because from what I've been seeing, reading and watching, there's a lot of subtext. There's a lot of convoluted plotlines. There's a lot of things that is being said between the lines.

I'm sure there's a reason why Blizzard specifically picked that language and script to be used for that tease for Doomfist III.

Occam's Razor. He's probably just an Omnic. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I think you're reading way too much into a simple poster.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that he doesn't necessarily have to be an Omnic.

Occam's Razor:
"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

You...

I like you...

Cappa

Banned
I've literally never heard of this feature, and I've delved relatively deep into what kind of options the PS4 has, so I'm going to guess that 99% of people don't even know this exists. I don't see Blizzard making a major function of the game so dependent on such an underutilized feature of the console. Plus, that doesn't even take into account Xbox players, who have no such feature as far as I know.

Forget the connect your phone to PS4 feature for just a second.

Im just saying we have 1:00+ of prep time on consoles for what? So people can spam their hero picks? Spam hello, Voice lines etc? Having another way to communicate with your teammates I dont think is a bad idea. There are certain things that you cannot get across using a very limited communication wheel and when you´re the only person in Voice Chat its not like anyone is going to be listening to you. Way to much down time not to take advantage of text chat...

Also, the connect to PS4 feature is actually as simple as downloading the PS4 App(you can use your phone as a second screen a la Vita). If youve never downloaded the app, than yeah I can assume thats why you would never have heard about the features. :) You can connect any bluetooth device to your PS4.

Occam's Razor:
"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

And when did I say that he's not going to be an Omnic period? In fact, I specifically said this:
The third Doomfist seems to be definitely of male stature and body type. I can't imagine that silhouette belonging to a woman. I'm going to go even so far and say that it's likely either going to be a cyborg like Genji or a full Omnic.

All I'm saying is that, given the lore and history given about Numbani, it's not impossible that he isn't. I was disagreeing with the notion that he cannot be anything but an Omnic.

Please stop putting words into my mouth now, with sugar on top?

Please keep putting words into my mouth now, with sugar on top?

Anything for you buddy.

Forget the connect your phone to PS4 feature for just a second.

Im just saying we have 1:00+ of prep time on consoles for what? So people can spam their hero picks? Spam hello, Voice lines etc? Having another way to communicate with your teammates I dont think is a bad idea. There are certain things that you cannot get across using a very limited communication wheel and when you´re the only person in Voice Chat its not like anyone is going to be listening to you. Way to much down time not to take advantage of text chat...

It'll be incredibly difficult to make any sort of plan in under a minute on that shitty keyboard.

Although I'm sure they could think of some kind of workaround for the chat wheel. I would personally be a fan of customizable chat wheels.

You're probably right, which sucks. All this waiting, and while it will be great to see her abilities and gameplay, we are still probably almost a month away from playing her on console. I wonder if the new Symmetra will come in the same patch.

Occam's Razor:

You...

I like you...

There needs to be a new partner theorem to Occam's Razor for Internet theorizing over small details.

"Over a given time, the less information people have access to the more outlandish their theories become."

There needs to be a new partner theorem to Occam's Razor for Internet theorizing over small details.

"Over a given time, the less information people have access to the more outlandish their theories become."

Perhaps Sombra hacked the posters and Doomfist is actually just a lukewarm bowl of water.

Blizzard is able to mark the exclusive Bastion skin for Bnet accounts with the virtual Blizzcon ticket attached, so it's quite possible virtual Blizzcon ticket holders will be able to play as Sombra on the PTR. Blizzard knows it'll sell virtual tickets too.

Mendrox

Blizzard is able to mark the exclusive Bastion skin for Bnet accounts with the virtual Blizzcon ticket attached, so it's quite possible virtual Blizzcon ticket holders will be able to play as Sombra on the PTR. Blizzard knows it'll sell virtual tickets too.

Urgh, didn't think about that. I hate this shit. Everything will be a big disappointed I guess.

Blues1990

Yea, one that is more similar to Zen. Hope he trash talks the Omnic haters during matches.

Doomfist: "You're unbearably naive if there will be peace between our species. They're doomed."

Zenyatta: "Perhaps. But I believe that the star that burns shortest, also burns the brightest.&#65279;"

Speaking of Omnics, I'm somewhat surprised Zenyatta doesn't have a Mondatta skin. Seems like an obvious choice, especially now that Rein has the Balderich skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom