• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

LOL, please. I'm just as deep as a puddle, when it comes to writing.

The whole game is basically like they wanted to create the corniest super hero comic book they could muster.

That's pretty much Blizzard writing in a nutshell. Probably better now without Metzen's crap writing.

Blues1990

Well, I didn't necessarily mean that as a compliment.
I know. I just wanted to write something that a possible evil Omnic Doomfist would say. Like, being the complete opposite of what we've seen with Zen & Bastion.

Besides, at least the actual lines in the game would be funny.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This 3 group was in our team and it was a complete stomp btw. Like, our payload just kept moving and we pretty much spawn camped them.

WTF.

z19Vjmh.png

I know. I just wanted to write something that a possible evil Omnic Doomfist would say. Like, being the complete opposite of what we've seen with Zen & Bastion.

Besides, at least the actual lines in the game would be funny.

Meh, just copy/paste some of the lines the Agents from the Matrix say and you're good to go.

Somehow I don't think Doomfist would be an evil Omnic given Numbani being his origin. I imagine him more being the justice-seeking righteous kinda type.
That said, I would definitely like an evil Omnic character.

TrueBlue

I appreciate how earnest the game is with its corniness. Not just the writing either, but Overwatch as a whole. Character designs, map locations, voicework, sound design, music etc.

I mean, there are some "darker/deeper" elements to the story/lore, but I think they're wisely downplayed. The impetus is put on the player/fan to learn more if they really want to.

There's a charm and likeability to the whole thing, which is not something I can say for a lot of games - particularly shooters. I never expected to care for the characters to the extent that I do. I do find some lines amusing as well.

On the subject of Omnics, I do think we're due an evil/corrupted one. Without in-game context to the Omnic Crisis, Torjborn, Zarya and Junkrat's attitude to Omnics comes off as a tad extremist - particularly if you base Omnics off Zenyatta and Bastion.

Oh ok, see plenty of those on ps4...in gold at least.

On a side note...I had 5:34 objective time with Lucio last nite on Route 66. That's by far my best.

I appreciate how earnest the game is with its corniness. Not just the writing either, but Overwatch as a whole. Character designs, map locations, voicework, sound design, music etc.

I mean, there are some "darker/deeper" elements to the story/lore, but I think they're wisely downplayed. The impetus is put on the player/fan to learn more if they really want to.

There's a charm and likeability to the whole thing, which is not something I can say for a lot of games - particularly shooters. I never expected to care for the characters to the extent that I do. I do find some lines amusing as well.

There's a major issue in that nothing in the actual game is canon.

Blues1990

Somehow I don't think Doomfist would be an evil Omnic given Numbani being his origin. I imagine him more being the justice-seeking righteous kinda type.
I'm the odd one that would prefer some more villain characters to join the games roster. Reaper doesn't cut it ('cause he's more like a straight up parody of every grim & gruesome character Blizzard has cooked up over the years), and it would be an interesting dynamic to see how such an evil omnic with a big-ass gauntlet would bounce off the others.

FuckTheBllueTeam.jpeg

I don't think there is any evidence that suggets Doomfist's origin being in Numbani.

Numbani has an exhibit showing off the Doomfist legacy, but that doesn't lead to evidence of the first point.

I'm the odd one that would prefer some more villain characters to join the games roster. Reaper doesn't cut it ('cause he's more like a straight up parody of every grim & gruesome character Blizzard has cooked up over the years), and it would be an interesting dynamic to see how such an evil omnic with a big-ass gauntlet would bounce off the others.

FuckTheBllueTeam.jpeg

Can't have any truly evil characters because you need some kind of justification as to why they would team up with the good guys.

Blues1990

Can't have any truly evil characters because you need some kind of justification as to why they would team up with the good guys.
Like you said, a lot of the things that happen in-game don't really matter in the greater scheme of things. Hell, you can have multiples of the same hero, & it would make as much sense.

Like you said, a lot of the things that happen in-game don't really matter in the greater scheme of things. Hell, you can have multiples of the same hero, & it would make as much sense.

They still need to have some sort of flimsy justification so the "evil" character has something to say to the good guys that doesn't involve actively sabotaging them.

Greddleok

Spent halloween trying to prestige so I could get extra boxes, but life kept getting in the way.

Last night I finally prestiged, got 3 boxes in a row...at 00:02.

Missed it by 2 fucking minutes. Goddamnit.

FuckTheBllueTeam.jpeg

Well there's Widowmaker... and Junkrat and Roadhog aren't exactly good guys either. Symmetra and Hanzo are also pretty grey with a heavy leaning towards evil.

I don't think there is any evidence that suggets Doomfist's origin being in Numbani.

Numbani has an exhibit showing off the Doomfist legacy, but that doesn't lead to evidence of the first point.

Did you already forget that we literally just had a discussion about the Omnic name of Doomfist III? I think that's pretty conclusive evidence that Doomfist III is from Numbani, because I sincerely doubt he'd be just some random ass guy.

There is Anubis they can add if they don't want to put in Athena. They'd probably add both in anyways.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Overwatch needs more Villains, so far we have Widowmaker and Reaper(Which used to be a good guy).
Oh and Mei.

Are Junkrat and Roadhog baddies?

Well there's Widowmaker... and Junkrat and Roadhog aren't exactly good guys either. Symmetra and Hanzo are also pretty grey with a heavy leaning towards evil.

I'm pretty sure Symmetra just works for an evil corporation, rather than being evil herself.

And isn't Hanzo a reformed criminal? I'm quite certain he doesn't work for his family's crime business thing anymore.

There is Anubis they can add if they don't want to put in Athena. They'd probably add both in anyways.

Not sure Athena is evil or going to be evil, especially if they keep that design they have for her in the promotional art. That looks decidedly un-evil to me. :p
That said, I would not be surprised if we got one of the God AIs either, yes, but I don't think it'd be Anubis.

I'm pretty sure Symmetra just works for an evil corporation, rather than being evil herself.

And isn't Hanzo a reformed criminal? I'm quite certain he doesn't work for his family's crime business thing anymore.

Hence I call them grey.
Symmetra is not just working for an evil corporation, she is doing so willingly, and doing so being fully aware of what this corporation does. She does think that she is doing good in the world, but if you read her comic, you see her struggling down those doubts inside of her that are telling her that what she did and is doing is wrong. Plus, she has actively done corporate espionage as well.

Hanzo is an oddball. While he has given up leading his family's criminal empire, he went on a soul searching adventure after he murdered his brother, and we don't know his current status. Genji offered him "to make a difference" at the end of their short, but which choice he has taken, we do not know. So he may want to redeem himself, but for all we know, he rejected Genji's offer.

Hanzo is an oddball. While he has given up leading his family's criminal empire, he went on a soul searching adventure after he murdered his brother, and we don't know his current status. Genji offered him "to make a difference" at the end of their short, but which choice he has taken, we do not know. So he may want to redeem himself, but for all we know, he rejected Genji's offer.

They wouldn't have that whole big fight end with Hanzo just going "Nah, I'm just gonna stay here and do some more crimes." That would just make that short a completely pointless waste of time.

As far as Athena, unless they change something about her in the future, she is firmly one of the good guys directly aligned with at least Winston, Tracer and 76.

Did you already forget that we literally just had a discussion about the Omnic name of Doomfist III? I think that's pretty conclusive evidence that Doomfist III is from Numbani, because I sincerely doubt he'd be just some random ass guy.

Nothing we talked about had anything to do with Doomfist's place of origin.

Athena is definitely one of the good guys. But there's always that possibility of corruption due to the hacking scene back in the trailer with Winston and Reaper.

They wouldn't have that whole big fight end with Hanzo just going "Nah, I'm just gonna stay here and do some more crimes." That would just make that short a completely pointless waste of time.

As far as Athena, unless they change something about her in the future, she is firmly one of the good guys directly aligned with at least Winston, Tracer and 76.

76 is specifically not affiliated with Overwatch currently. Him and Ana are off doing their own thing - both characters are presumed dead, after all. Which is why neither were in the Recall short, either.

Nothing we talked about had anything to do with Doomfist's place of origin.

So you truly believe that the one person that Numbani currently celebrates as the Successor to the glorious Saviour of Numbani, and the terrible Scourge of Numbani, would be random Omnic dude from country X?

Athena is definitely one of the good guys. But there's always that possibility of corruption due to the hacking scene back in the trailer with Winston and Reaper.

Like I said, unless something changes. Specifically, like if she gets hacked or something.

Although it would be really weird to play her when she's also the announcer.

76 is specifically not affiliated with Overwatch currently. Him and Ana are off doing their own thing - both characters are presumed dead, after all. Which is why neither were in the Recall short, either.

I'm specifically referring to the Tutorial, which includes both 76 and Tracer.

So you truly believe that the one person that Numbani currently celebrates as the Successor to the glorious Saviour of Numbani, and the terrible Scourge of Numbani, would be random Omnic dude from country X?

I believe I don't have anywhere near enough information to claim anything. You know DVa has posters up in Hanamura right, do you think it wise to assume she is Japanese? Hell Lucio also has posters up around Numbani, that doesn't mean it's his home.

I believe I don't have anywhere near enough information to claim anything. You know DVa has posters up in Hanamura right, do you think it wise to assume she is Japanese? Hell Lucio also has posters up around Numbani, that doesn't mean it's his home.

Plus, if he's an Omnic, he could literally be from anywhere.

Winston is from the fucking moon.

I'm specifically referring to the Tutorial, which includes both 76 and Tracer.

I haven't played the Tutorial so I wouldn't know. :p

Neither Lucio's concert nor D.Va's visit to Hanamura are a central piece of Numbani's or Japan's history. Doomfist is clearly something that is extremely central to Numbani, especially given the fact that both the older Doomfists are titled as the "Savior of Numbani" and the "Scourge of Numbani" (and before you say "but the posters" - listen to what the museum announcer in the exhibit says, because she specifically adds the "of Numbani" bit), and the fact that one of the gauntlets is the actual payload as well. Add to that the fact that the first 2 Doomfists are clearly African characters and the third one's name is written in a language that, to our knowledge, only is commonly used in one specific country: Numbani.

How can you say there is no evidence that suggests Doomfist is from Numbani?

If D.Va or Lucio were even remotely as central to the maps their posters appear on than the whole Doomfist lore, then yes, I would probably consider them to be at the very least intertwined heavily with the lore of that respective map, and speculate that they might be from that nation. But those are just posters. There is nothing else surrounding them on those maps.

You were one of the people bringing up Occam's Razor. How is Doomfist being from Numbani not the theory with the least assumptions?

Plus, if he's an Omnic, he could literally be from anywhere.

Winston is from the fucking moon.

Doomfist III, the hero of Omnic equality, following the footsteps of the Saviour of Numbani! Clearly, he has nothing to do with Numbani. Probably from Cleveland.

Azoor

I think it's highly probable that we'll get a map that's in each hero's home country.

Pretty sure we'll get Rio and Korea down the road.

I think it's highly probable that we'll get a map that's in each hero's home country.

I also fully expect the ruins of the Overwatch HQ in Switzerland (Mercy being from the same country can't be a coincidence, right?), and a hero from Greece somewhere down the line.

Blues1990

There were some voice lines for Winston (a la data files) that has him feeling indifferent towards returning to the moon, so people are speculating that there will be a map taking place on the abandoned Horizon moon base.

We technically already got Estadio das Ras for Lucio.

'The Stadium of Frogs?' It's located in Rio de Janeiro, right?

'The Stadium of Frogs?' It's located in Rio de Janeiro, right?

Yeah it's the location of the Lucioball map.
I don't think it's supposed to be "Lucio's home map", and I do believe that there's going to be a proper Rio map, probably relating to the civil unrest due to the Vishkar development there.

Which is also the reason I'm not certain we'll see an Indian map unless they heavily expand the lore for India, or we get some map where we infiltrate Vishkar's headquarters themselves rather than seeing the Vishkar developments.

Beyond that, I can easily see maps for all of the other nations that have a hero but aren't represented by a map yet, and I also believe that the maps that don't have a hero tied to them yet will do so in the future. And yes, I will still believe that Doomfist will represent Numbani, and not Stevenage.

Azoor

Yeah it's the location of the Lucioball map.
I don't think it's supposed to be "Lucio's home map", and I do believe that there's going to be a proper Rio map, probably relating to the civil unrest due to the Vishkar development there.

Which is also the reason I'm not certain we'll see an Indian map unless they heavily expand the lore for India, or we get some map where we infiltrate Vishkar's headquarters themselves rather than seeing the Vishkar developments.

Beyond that, I can easily see maps for all of the other nations that have a hero but aren't represented by a map yet, and I also believe that the maps that don't have a hero tied to them yet will do so in the future. And yes, I will still believe that Doomfist will represent Numbani, and not Stevenage.

I could see Blizzard making a short about the conflict between Lucio and Symmetra, maybe even the revolution.

TrueBlue

I wanna see an Australian map. Loads of landmarks/cities they could use, assuming they resist the urge to go all Mad Max on us.

A moonbase sounds great as well.

antitrop

How does a 2 person kill self destruct beat a graviton+barrage quad kill for POTG?

Maybe it killed a person that was channeling an Ult for a Shutdown bonus or something, I dunno, maybe it was a Lifesaver bonus. Maybe the Zarya and the Pharah split the damage in the Graviton so much that D.Va had the higher amount of concentrated damage in shorter time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom