• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

I've said it before and I'll say it again, meta kind of matters a bit at some point. I don't have anything against most heroes, but there are going to be times when you lose cause you picked off meta.

It doesnt do any good to lie and say a weak character is good. Much better to understand the character is weak and why that is so you know how to play around unfavorable situations.

I'm not as much a 'meta' guy as a 'have fun and make smart picks' guy.

I'm a diamond console player. We don't need a perfect team comp. But when the opposing team has a Mei, Zarya, Genji, Zen. Then yea, I'll tell our Dva that it's not exactly a great pick. I try to be nice about it, and I always give initial picks a shot. I don't think people would care nearly as much about 'bad picks' if they could see people switch more often. But people usually stick with their bad pick until the bitter end, which can definitely be annoying.

Junkrat to me is whatever on my team, I'm not thrilled when I see one, but I don't immediately chalk it up to a loss. I fucking hate playing against him though.

I hope the Torb buff goes through, because a consistent 225 health Tracer would be awesome.

B.O.O.M

Kind of depends on who you're playing with, but if your tanks are good at drawing fire, Ana is indeed absolutely fantastic. Tanks being easy to hit due to their size is as much to the benefit of the enemy, as to your own Ana. Her gun's hitbox is already quite generous as it is, but hitting one of the big boys or girls is really fast and reliable. You don't have to put yourself in harm's way either, making her survivability pretty top notch as well. If you play with a lot of speedy attackers, I don't feel like I'm healing reliably enough with her. Feels safer to switch to someone else to compensate for my lacking skill.

Thanks this is good advice. I'm trying out heroes I usually don't these days. Mei is growing on me....there's a statement I never expected to say

ps: All this Junkrat hate is depressing..I love Junkrat..his mine and trap are the bomb! ...get it? hahahaha

ok I'll disappear like Sombra now

ps2: if anyone needs a buff, I think it's Pharah...I personally find her to be real easy to deal with :S

AbaFadi

Banned
I don't 100% agree with the meta, and I do often encourage people to play what their strong in, but I just can't find a good reason to play torb, widow, and symmetra on ps4. They just don't add much value to the team.

A lot of heroes can work situationally. There are grandmasters who play "F Tier" heroes exclusively such as Bastion, Junkrat, and D.Va on ps4. That being said, you should know when to switch off a certain hero if they're not really working out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Problem with junkrat is that his projectiles are so. Slow. It's good in a way because the slowness allows it to have a much better longer active hitbox which makes his chokepoint spam so effective. It's bad in that unless you're in a corridor or in a really short range a lot of his stuff is easily juked and reacted to, and i don't care how much of a god a arc aiming you are.

The projectile is too slow for any predicted hit to not be a guess which is fine because that's how projectiles Heroes work, but junk's stuff is especially easy to react to even when it's been fired.

Which is my specific beef of attack junkrat.

I don't 100% agree with the meta, and I do often encourage people to play what their strong in, but I just can't find a good reason to play torb, widow, and symmetra on ps4. They just don't add much value to the team.

A lot of heroes can work situationally. There are grandmasters who play "F Tier" heroes exclusively such as Bastion, Junkrat, and D.Va on ps4. That being said, you should know when to switch off a certain hero if they're not really working out.

I'm not sure I can agree with Dva or Junkrat being "F tier" heroes.

Junkrat nukes Reinhardt, who is in so many games it's insane, and Dva just disappears damage, making her great at relieving pressure. Are they S class "great all the time" heroes? Nah, but Dva's biggest problem is that Zarya eats cows whole for breakfast.

Funnily enough, Dva's really good at bullying Junkrat and shielding teammates from his nade spam.

Adamm

As a rank 1900, am I stuck playing with randoms until I get well into the 2000s?

Any groups I see forming in communities and forums are all 2500+

Edit: PS4

Antiwhippy

There are so many characters that can nuke rein's shields. I don't know why it's a thing people bring up specifically for junkrat.

Roadhog nukes rein shields. Reaper nukes rein shields. Mccree can fth it down real easily.

Hell, most of the time i don't even worry about rein shields anymore. Just isolate him with mei and the whole team goes to town on him while the enemy team is helpless behind the wall. A shield is not going to help him there.

As a rank 1900, am I stuck playing with randoms until I get well into the 2000s?

Any groups I see forming in communities and forums are all 2500+

When I fell from ~2200 to the ~1600 range I still got invited to join groups whenever I performed well. Are you wearing a mic?

Anne

F Tier doesnt even mean unusable ass, just means typically bad. I have a pretty high opinion of D.VA tbh, even if her pick rate is low. I think a lot of bad heroes can do stuff but they either have massive drawbacks or don't fit atm.

I mean, Pharah is honestly mad strong but she can't fit into anything atm. That happens. Other times there's a character like Junkrat or Bastion who have severe drawbacks that have to be considered.

Adamm

When I fell from ~2200 to the ~1600 range I still got invited to join groups whenever I performed well. Are you wearing a mic?

Yeah, I'm literally the only one talking in every game. And I'm being helpful, not giving people abuse lol

I am on ps4 though, which I didn't mention

Edit: Also I'm in UK, the land where no one speaks

Shouta

I don't even think Junkrat's weakness is with the character itself but rather with the way that Ults factor into how the game flows and how fast they grow currently. It's the same reason why I thought Mei was gonna get a lot of play when she got the buff and the ult system changed awhile back. Ults charge too fast already and Junk was just oil onto a fire.

It's why I find the upcoming changes to be interesting.

Anne

Yeah, Junkrat's interaction with the ult system on top of him being bad in big ult fights is just rip. The new changes might help a bit? I don't know really at this point.

I think Mei was always on the rise but the ult changes def really pushed her into viability.

Yeah, I'm literally the only one talking in every game. And I'm being helpful, not giving people abuse lol

I am on ps4 though, which I didn't mention

Edit: Also I'm in UK, the land where no one speaks

What characters do you like to play? I have a mic and play UK time, 2800ish SR right now which is still in range. Feel free to add me: Sonovabiscuit

Antiwhippy

I feel like you need to up his projectile speed to make junkrat viable outside of being a chokepoint defender. Right now it's too slow to give him any sort of reliable finishing power.

Adamm

What characters do you like to play? I have a mic and play UK time, 2800ish SR right now which is still in range. Feel free to add me: Sonovabiscuit

Mercy/Zenyatta/Zarya/tracer

Mainly heal or tank cause no one else does, but quite like doing it.

And will do! :)

Nimby

Banned
Zarya's right click is better than the entirety of Junkrat lol

For real though, it has close to same amount of damage at high levels of charge, larger explosion radius when charged, it explodes on contact rather than only on direct hits, it's a much larger projectile, travels faster, and it is good for building her infinitely better ult.

I was hoping they would look more into Junkrat and Bastion with this PTR, but I think they're done with adding changes. I find it weird that his grenades and RIP-tire damage him but not his concussion mine. Maybe a cool passive ability to give him that would fit his character would be if his own explosions healed him, giving him a bit more durability.

Like Pharah, they could also probably increase splash damage or up the radius a tad. His RIP-tire is also shite on PC, so easy to destroy and hard to use it the way it was meant. This problem isn't on console because it's much harder to hit the tire with controller aim.

DevilDog

F Tier doesnt even mean unusable ass, just means typically bad. I have a pretty high opinion of D.VA tbh, even if her pick rate is low. I think a lot of bad heroes can do stuff but they either have massive drawbacks or don't fit atm.

I mean, Pharah is honestly mad strong but she can't fit into anything atm. That happens. Other times there's a character like Junkrat or Bastion who have severe drawbacks that have to be considered.

Also keep in mind these statistics are about PC. Imo console players shouldn't look at them too much.

Zarya's right click is better than the entirety of Junkrat lol

For real though, it has close to same amount of damage at high levels of charge, larger explosion radius when charged, it explodes on contact rather than only on direct hits, it's a much larger projectile, travels faster, and it is good for building her infinitely better ult.

And Junkrat can fire 3 of his grenades in the time it takes Zarya to fire once..

I don't even think Junkrat's weakness is with the character itself but rather with the way that Ults factor into how the game flows and how fast they grow currently. It's the same reason why I thought Mei was gonna get a lot of play when she got the buff and the ult system changed awhile back. Ults charge too fast already and Junk was just oil onto a fire.

It's why I find the upcoming changes to be interesting.

I completely agree. If each player sees 1.5 fewer ults per game, the impact of trash damage is lessened, which really helps Junkrat.

Antiwhippy

Trash damage is still trash damage unless they severely nerf the healing. It's actually more of a problem with healing being way too strong in this game. Like ana can outheal the damage of his grenades.

Support ults are still going to be built really quickly with him on the scene, it's just that right now they build OBSCENELY quickly with him on the scene.

How many of those grenades are going to land compared to zarya's just one?

I've seen junkrats emptying clips and land nothing.

That is totally subjective to the Junkrat and Zarya player. I've seen plenty of Junkrats and Zaryas that can't hit shit. I've seen plenty that have infuriating accuracy.

I'm not sure if I find the changes to ult charge time to be good, to be honest. As it currently stands, you usually can build up enough charge during a team fight to have one for the next. Slow charge speed would mean a lot slower pushes, less games going to overtime, less clutch games. The game probably will be a lot less interesting to watch, as well.

Antiwhippy

That is totally subjective to the Junkrat and Zarya player. I've seen plenty of Junkrats and Zaryas that can't hit shit. I've seen plenty that have infuriating accuracy.

Thing is exploding on impact is the key. Zarya a reliably dictate her area of damage but junkrat relies on the enemy activating his area of damage.

A junkrat with grenades that explodes on impact instead of bouncing would actually be pretty scary.

Junkrats rate of fire isn't even 2 to 1 compared to Zarya.

You're right. My apologies. I don't know why I had this off.

Junkrat
  • Ammo - 5
  • Rate of Fire - 5 in 3 seconds
  • Damage - 120 (direct) up to 80 splash
  • Reload - 1.5 seconds

Zarya
  • Ammo - 4
  • Rate of Fire - 4 in 4 seconds
  • Damage - 46-95
  • Reload - 1.5 seconds

So Junkrat gets 1 more in the chamber, but his damage values are crazy high compared to Zarya, and that's with Zarya at her max energy.

I played with the weirdest Genji today. Everytime there would be a spike in the kill feed, he's constantly start asking if someone on our team got a double there, or triple, or whatever.

He was making sure that no one was going to show up his Ult triple kill for the PotM. Like, he actually said that to our Tracer when he thought Tracer got a multikill with our Zarya.

His reaction when our Zenyatta got the PotM was pretty priceless, though.

Shouta

I'm not sure if I find the changes to ult charge time to be good, to be honest. As it currently stands, you usually can build up enough charge during a team fight to have one for the next. Slow charge speed would mean a lot slower pushes, less games going to overtime, less clutch games. The game probably will be a lot less interesting to watch, as well.

As I see it, the ult charge time means that folks will have to explore more options in dealing a lot damage up front to make pushes work since Ults won't be available to do that as much. Junkrat is absolutely amazing for a frontal push in this respect, especially against Reinhardt, because of how much damage he puts out. 120 damage at a 1.66 per second fire rate is a LOT of damage. It's the reason why he shreds Reinhardt's shield so fast compared to everyone besides Bastion.

When he doesn't have to worry about incidental damage causing ult to charge as much as well. He can also force opponents to move to a certain direction with splash and help dictate the pace of the fight in a way that Mei can with her wall or a good flanker can. At least, I feel that's the ideal situation anyway. It's just exploration of this concept has been stunted because of how powerful and how fast people gotten ults, nullifying that sort of strategy.

I used to play TFC a lot with Demo and Soldier being my main stays so I have a soft spot for explosions and tactics with these types of characters but it is a different game.

As I see it, the ult charge time means that folks will have to explore more options in dealing a lot damage up front to make pushes work since Ults won't be available to do that as much. Junkrat is absolutely amazing for a frontal push in this respect, especially against Reinhardt, because of how much damage he puts out. 120 damage at a 1.66 per second fire rate is a LOT of damage. It's the reason why he shreds Reinhardt's shield so fast compared to everyone besides Bastion.

When he doesn't have to worry about incidental damage causing ult to charge as much as well. He can also force opponents to move to a certain direction with splash and help dictate the pace of the fight in a way that Mei can with her wall or a good flanker can. At least, I feel that's the ideal situation anyway. It's just exploration of this concept has been stunted because of how powerful and how fast people gotten ults, nullifying that sort of strategy.

I used to play TFC a lot with Demo and Soldier being my main stays so I have a soft spot for explosions and tactics with these types of characters but it is a different game.

I expect a move to characters that have a lot of 1HKO abilities. Roadhog's Hook combo, Pharah and Lucio environmental kills. Rein's charge. Things like this.

Hell, it'll actually reinforce Hanzo, and maybe will even let Widow creep up a bit.

If someone doesn't play multiple characters... Having them switch is not going to result in a positive gain. Typically the other side is great at what they chose and if you pick something to counter your skills might not stack up.

This is why people should play multiple things.

And I don't care if a Hanzo is wrecking the other team... If he isn't on the point to stop it from being taken then all his/her kills amount to nothing.

Anne

Honestly I'd pick Junkrat over Bastion to shield shred if he didn't have so many drawbacks atm. He's really safe and has other pressure. Just like oops bad ult, bad in fights, pressure is nullified by Ana and the ults.

xaosslug

i'd say the biggest reasons why Junkrat/D.Va are not 'viable' or in the meta is Zarya - she eats D.Va alive, and there's the fear that Junkrat will charge her up.

delete Zarya.

Shouta

If people want to shred rein's shields they would pick roadhog over junkrat.

Nah. Junkrat does it faster, safer, and more consistent than Roadhog does. Roadhog gets a max of 675 damage over 3 seconds with his Scrap Gun if all the pellets hit but that has to be point blank for him to be guaranteed otherwise you might lose a bit with shots going over Rein or going into the ground. Junk gets 600 damage in 3 seconds with his grenades and because of the bounce mechanic, as long as you aren't shooting over him. will land for for the damage. He can do this farther than Roadhog as well because the arc and can be done behind a Rein for max damage or around corners to protect himself. There's also Junk's concussive mine too

You also kind of want to save shots with Roadhog so you can hook folks when Rein's shield goes down, lol

If they gave Junk a new Ult instead of the tire or just gave him an explode on impact alt-fire, he'd be pretty good after the Ult charge changes.

xaosslug

If people want to shred rein's shields they would pick roadhog over junkrat.

Roadhog's harder to use, and has to be at a closer range. Junkrat can literally obliterate Rein's shield from the other side of the map. Plus he has the trap + mine combo to watch his back w/ flankers, which can kill half the game roaster outright. xD

i'd say the biggest reasons why Junkrat/D.Va are not 'viable' or in the meta is Zarya - she eats D.Va alive, and there's the fear that Junkrat will charge her up.

delete Zarya.

D.Va is useless against a Zarya and a Zen working together. I don't have much trouble with Zarya if people are playing against her smart... Like not letting her get to 100 power. I typically zip away when she comes out me with her dumb laser and re position myself to get her.

antitrop

+400 Backfill XP isn't enough to make up for how annoying it is to join a QP game that is <30 seconds away from being an automatic Defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom