• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, it's cute that you think anyone is safe from Sombra's hacks. All she had to do is go invisible and get behind their shields and they're done.

gonna be a shitshow. xD

She stops being invisible when she starts hacking, and the first person who gets hacked will have a massive sign saying HACKED on their screen. In voice chats, they'll immediately communicate that to people, so Sombra can't just stay behind people and hack them for all eternity. Furthermore, the mute of the hack only lasts 6 seconds, while her ability channels for like 2-3 seconds.

I think you're seriously overestimating how strong her ability to sneak up on people and hacking them is.

Gotta hack Sombra so she can't hack you.

raw

Sombra would be useless after getting hacked.

Any of the Overwatch panels happened yet?

Other than the Overwatch news in the opening ceremony, there was the panel for the upcoming stuff, and the panel for how the animated shorts are created.
Tomorrow will have a sound design panel and a Q&A.

There also have been and will be panels that are not getting streamed or recorded (or so it seems at least), which kinda pisses me off because the art panels were one of the main draws for me buying the Virtual Ticket.

duckroll

I don't see how individual hacking for Sombra is going to be OP. Overwatch is such a fast game that you're not going to see any real scenario where Sombra can hack more than 2 players in a row before having to retreat. It's the ult that'll be a gamechanger, as usual.

Other than the Overwatch news in the opening ceremony, there was the panel for the upcoming stuff, and the panel for how the animated shorts are created.
Tomorrow will have a sound design panel and a Q&A.

There also have been and will be panels that are not getting streamed or recorded, which kinda pisses me off because the art panels were one of the main draws for me buying the Virtual Ticket.

Did we get more details on the new maps and the Arcade mode?

Did we get more details on the new maps and the Arcade mode?

Oasis is a Control map with jump pads that they're targeting December as release date for.
Ecopoint Antarctica is a smaller map specifically designed for the 1v1 and 3v3 skirmish modes.

I've posted a full summary as well:
Overwatch announcements:
Sombra and her legendary skins
New Map Oasis, Control/KOTH, coming in December
Quick Play will have Single Hero Limit
Weekly Brawls will be replaced by Arcade mode
Oni skin for Genji for playing HotS with friends during that game's event
Overwatch League for esports

Arcade mode:
1v1 and 3v3 skirmish modes on new map Ecopoint Antarctica
QP + Hero Stacking one mode
Mystery Heroes is a mode
All Brawls, will have various themed Brawls from past Weekly Brawls and new ones on rotation
You get 1 lootbox as reward for winning once in each specific mode for the first time
3 weekly lootboxes as reward for winning a few games

Feel free to ask anything if you want more details, I've seen basically all of the panels containing information. But that's just about it. Unless you want to know more about the lore of the maps, they said some more stuff about that as well for both.

Everyone's so focused on the quick play change they're ignoring the real game changer in Arcade.

Quick play is still a separate mode (won't count towards the 9 boxes), so Quick Play will probably just become comp practice considering more casual players will try to get those free boxes.

duckroll

Oh thanks! A new control map is good. Jump pads... I dunno hope it works! So to clarify, Arcade Mode is sort of a custom game mode curator with actual queues right? So they'll throw brawls and other experimental shit in there, including stuff like Lucio Ball and Junkenstein's Revenge? Instead of one brawl active on the interface at any time, now we have an actual menu to pick more than one, and there will be a mix of mainstays and rotations? Am I understanding that right?

In that case, what exactly is the 1v1 and 3v3 skirmish mode?

Oh thanks! A new control map is good. Jump pads... I dunno hope it works! So to clarify, Arcade Mode is sort of a custom game mode curator with actual queues right? So they'll throw brawls and other experimental shit in there, including stuff like Lucio Ball and Junkenstein's Revenge? Instead of one brawl active on the interface at any time, now we have an actual menu to pick more than one, and there will be a mix of mainstays and rotations? Am I understanding that right?

1v1 is random heroes, but both players have to be the same one (Hanzo vs Hanzo, Symmetra vs Symmetra), first one to win 5 rounds wins, characters change every round.

3v3 is elimination. No stacking, and teams are locked in every round, best of 5.

Both of those modes take place on the new Antarctica map that was designed for smaller teams.

Random Heroes mode is a slot too, along with the No Limit.

The 5th slot is All Brawls, which is basically all of the weekly brawls but it changes every game. They're adding new ones like a brawl that takes place on the Ilios Well map, only Roadhog and Lucio.

Bizukah

Neo Member
Ugh, just finished a match where we lost to a team playing Bastion... on Hollywood... on Attack. Like, I try my best switching to Genji but I can only do so much.

That's something I've learned about playing this game a lot: I don't mind losing all that much. But losing to a horrible comp... that makes me want to rip my hair out.

8000% agree. If I lose because we suck, it's nbd. If we lose because we had a bad comp, and people were stubborn... like you're just intentionally throwing the game so you can play Hanzo.

Also does anybody else think Sombra's Legendary looks super ugly? Just me?
yJyI8t0.jpg

OK so Arcade at the start will have 5 selections. Someone posted screenshots of it in the various threads, including this.
The event brawls would be in the Arcade, yes, that was specifically mentioned.

The 5 starting modes in Arcade are going to be: 1v1, 3v3, Mystery Heroes (former Brawl), No Hero Limit normal play (i.e. current QP), and a mode called "All Brawls" which rotates between the different Brawl scenarios like Pharmercy and Mobawatch and whatnot.
I forgot when exactly they rotate, I think it was match by match, but don't quote me on that one, I wasn't paying too much attention to that cause I also was watching Stylosa's Sombra gameplay at the same time.

They're also gonna display mode populations (so like, you can see if queuing up for Mystery Heroes will take long or not), and they're also gonna maybe add stuff, or if one of these 5 starting modes starts dying off, rotate it out for something else, and they're gonna do all the event stuff and experimental shit there.

1v1 is random heroes, but both players have to be the same one (Hanzo vs Hanzo, Symmetra vs Symmetra), first one to win 5 rounds wins, characters change every round.

Best of 9 actually I think.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
8000% agree. If I lose because we suck, it's nbd. If we lose because we had a bad comp, and people were stubborn... like you're just intentionally throwing the game so you can play Hanzo.

Also does anybody else think Sombra's Legendary looks super ugly? Just me?
yJyI8t0.jpg

I think you're talking about the exact opposite of what he's talking about.

TheExodu5

Banned
So you still get losses if a player leaves competitive? What a load of shit. Just played my first 2 matches after placement and leavers both times. No god damned chance.

man, Sombra seems like she's going to be OP as fuck..

I can't believe they originally had her to be able to hack Rein's shield THROUGH his shield...

they had it going for 2 days initially not realizing how OP the idea of that was.....smh.

Yep, fixed it. Meant to say first to 5 instead of best of 5. Also didn't mean to step on your toes regarding the information, just found it crazy how the Quick Play change overshadowed the whole arcade mode.

It's fine, I wasn't trying to monopolize the flow of information lol.
I tried to be additive to what you posted instead.

duckroll

Arcade Mode sounds like the sort of QOL improvement the game really needs at around this time. I wonder if the 1v1 and 3v3 modes are sustainable though. Will they be locked to Eco Point Antarctica forever or are we likely to see other 1v1 and 3v3 maps added in future? Have they said?

I'm kinda surprised Mystery Heroes got a perm slot instead of... you know... Arcade. Lol. :)

Sombra looks really fun.

Here's hoping this survives into final release and afterwards.

Maybe consider a philosophy of buffing others to compensate for relative strength so the players of them can also have fun without hurting the fans of the strong character.

Will they be locked to Eco Point Antarctica forever or are we likely to see other 1v1 and 3v3 maps added in future? Have they said?

They only said that they don't consider Antarctica as one of the "proper" to be 14 maps, and called it an Arena map. They didn't outright say that they were planning on doing more, but I feel like that there was an implication for it given that they consider the map its own specific type.

I'm kinda surprised Mystery Heroes got a perm slot instead of... you know... Arcade. Lol. :)

They renamed the Arcade brawl to something else. I forgot what it was, but they specifically mentioned that one heh.

They only said that they don't consider Antarctica as one of the "proper" to be 14 maps, and called it an Arena map. They didn't outright say that they were planning on doing more, but I feel like that there was an implication for it given that they consider the map its own specific type.

Well, yeah, it would get really boring really quickly if you only had one map to play on for the rest of forever.

Antiwhippy

Looking at the finland v russia semis, like, blizzard is stupid strong don't get me wrong, but that comp would get dominated by a good pharah.

And I don't think russia has a great mccree? I remember unfixed being a zarya main.

duckroll

I guess they don't want to overcommit before the community even plays the modes. If they end up being really popular I expect the modes to eventually have map playlists too. Maybe we'll see adaptations of existing maps in arena sizes?

xaosslug

She stops being invisible when she starts hacking, and the first person who gets hacked will have a massive sign saying HACKED on their screen. In voice chats, they'll immediately communicate that to people, so Sombra can't just stay behind people and hack them for all eternity. Furthermore, the mute of the hack only lasts 6 seconds, while her ability channels for like 2-3 seconds.

I think you're seriously overestimating how strong her ability to sneak up on people and hacking them is.

go invisible, get behind Rein, hack him: teleport to safety. Your team wrecks before the hack wares off. xD

I guess they don't want to overcommit before the community even plays the modes. If they end up being really popular I expect the modes to eventually have map playlists too. Maybe we'll see adaptations of existing maps in arena sizes?

I seem to recall them saying something a while ago about having brawls which contained altered versions of existing maps. Like making them smaller or blocking off certain routes. I think it may have been in a developer update, but I can't remember which one if so.

I could see people going "Isn't arcade mode the one where everyone has a lot of life and supers regenerate really fast? Why did they bring that back."

More like "Oh shit, they brought Arcade mode back."

Plus, there'll probably be some kind of popup on the main menu explaining exactly what it is just like they did for the seasonal modes and competitive.

Like man, mei shuts down triple tank so hard.

Not by herself, she doesn't.

Squire

Banned
controversial opinion: i like "overdesigned" heroes and think blizzard should keep adding more mechanics to old heroes

I think it's kinda funny people thought Ana was sort of thin when she was introduced and now they think there's too much to Sombra.

Like, yes, there's a balance to strike, but if they're not there when she hits live, they'll get there eventually.

Antiwhippy

I don't think it's Mei that shuts down triple tank, but rather just a really good team.

Mei generally doesn't do well against tanks, so I don't see what advantage she provides there.

Walls: separates them from healers, tanks generally low mobility, often dead, and once the tank dies everything else collapses. Wall is another way to fuck with roadhog's hooks once you know to look out for it.

Icicles: they have such a huge hitbox that you can build your ult up super fast. Like, ridiculously fast.

Blizzard: low mobility characters that generally needs to stick together + mei's snowball being able to pierce shields now (this is a way bigger buff than people thought it was) = free popsicles to pick off.

Walls: separates them from healers, tanks generally low mobility, often dead, and once the tank dies everything else collapses. Wall is another way to fuck with roadhog's hooks once you know to look out for it.

Icicles: they have such a huge hitbox that you can build your ult up super fast. Like, ridiculously fast.

Blizzard: low mobility characters that generally needs to stick together + mei's snowball being able to pierce shields now (this is a way bigger buff than people thought it was) = free popsicles to pick off.

I assume you're primarily talking about high-level play? Because at my level, Mei is one of the last heroes I'll go to when I want to deal with a bunch of tanks.

And Zarya just ruins my fun all day every day.

Are we totally sure that girl in the picture isn't Sombra herself?

Antiwhippy

I assume you're primarily talking about high-level play? Because at my level, Mei is one of the last heroes I'll go to when I want to deal with a bunch of tanks.

And Zarya just ruins my fun all day every day.

Are we totally sure that girl in the picture isn't Sombra herself?

Nah, I'm mid gold atm (used to be plat, but fell due to the ups and downs of being a support main.) and my favourite thing to do is to separate tanks off and just pick them with the team. Won so many pushes just from that one pick.

Nah, I'm mid gold atm (used to be plat, but fell due to the ups and downs of being a support main.) and my favourite thing to do is to separate tanks off and just pick them with the team. Won so many pushes just from that one pick.

Maybe it's just that I rarely see triple tank then, because I can't recall any instance of being any sort of significant help with Mei.

TheExodu5

Banned
Already sick of this game. The matchmaking is god awful. Lost 7 matches in a row after getting placed due to god awful team comp and leavers.

Rize_21

Maybe it's just that I rarely see triple tank then, because I can't recall any instance of being any sort of significant help with Mei.

Except for nanoboost that makes many tanks enter tunnel vision, there's not, it's been a while since I saw a Rein/Zarya far from a dps to isolate him/her and get a free kill.
Also the wall can be tricky, enemy Hanzo can climb it and scattershot the hell out of Mei while yelling Sake! as the mad addict that he is.

Except for nanoboost that makes many tanks enter tunnel vision, there's not, it's been a while since I saw a Rein/Zarya far from a dps to isolate him/her and get a free kill.
Also the wall can be tricky, enemy Hanzo can climb and scattershot the hell out of Mei while yelling Sake!.

About 90% of the time when trying to separate the enemy team with a wall, I just end up with 5 of them behind it, and the other on top, and that person usually drops behind immediately.

Antiwhippy

Already sick of this game. The matchmaking is god awful. Lost 7 matches in a row after getting placed due to god awful team comp and leavers.

Always take a break after 2-3 losses.

I don't do it because I've ceased to care, but do that and don't play tilted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom