• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

150 health
Make her gun have 30-40 rounds instead of 60
increase cooldowns on invisibility and Translocator from 6 to 8 seconds

She would still be useful as fuck and fun as hell to play. But at least Tracer wouldn't be completely obsolete, and she wouldn't have equal utility as a great flanker/support/and tank buster.

I mean I know Blizzard tests the hell out of things, but this really feels like they wanted everyone to love playing the new hero instead of making her even remotely balanced.

Like people are hardly talking about the health pack thing, and that alone is such a game changing part of her kit.

When you look at buffs they threw at Ana in order to get.. well basically force her into prometa does this surprise you somehow?

When you look at buffs they threw at Ana in order to get.. well basically force her into prometa does this surprise you somehow?

Uhhh... that's not really the truth though?
Ana's buffs were to her clip size only, and I sincerely doubt that her clip size is what caused her to get picked by the meta, rather than Zenyatta and Mercy being less viable.

Her ult has been exactly the same since she was launched, and the healing grenade change isn't on live yet (I think?).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well Reaper can do the same thing and restores health when he kills someone. I mean honestly I just want her to be released like now. Instead they are doing this bullshit to make people that went to blizzcon feel "special."

Reaper can be traced to exactly where he's going.

Sombra is gone in an instant.

Making her the most fun hero ever won't help matters. Thank god for QP hero limit. But there will still be two in every game, and a race for who can instalock quickest.

Tovarisc

Uhhh... that's not really the truth though?
Ana's buffs were to her clip size only, and I sincerely doubt that her clip size is what caused her to get picked by the meta, rather than Zenyatta and Mercy being less viable.

Her ult has been exactly the same since she was launched, and the healing grenade change isn't on live yet (I think?).

With quick google these are changes to Ana post-release that are live;
Biotic Rifle
Rate of fire increased by 20%
Magazine size increased from 8 to 10

Nano Boost
Ultimate cost has been increased by 20%

Biotic Grenade
Radius has been increased from 3 to 4 meters

Change to cost of nano boost had zero impact on meta. Grenade radius increase was direct buff and original biotic rifle buff made her best single target healer in the game, overshadowing Mercy easily, while gave her what still most likely is fastest ult in whole game. While also being ult with devastating effect on any fight, in every fight.

Personally I don't think it was coincidence that her popularity in casual and pro levels increased noticeably after her biotic rifle buffs, as those buffs had so large impact on her HPS and ultimate gain.

I guess I should stop complaining. I have confidence they won't decide to completely break their game, and the proper changes will be made. They'll probably have her end up about as annoying as a good Tracer, Genji (pre nerf?), or Mei. As long as I feel like I'm dying to a skilled player, or a character that I don't think is totally OP (none of them in the current game) I've never been one to complain about something being 'cheap' and hopefully things get back to that point.

And I seriously can't fucking wait to play her. My god, gonna be so much fun. I will be instalocking her every game. I'll play the stacking arcade mode if I have too.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
With quick google these are changes to Ana post-release that are live;
Biotic Rifle
Rate of fire increased by 20%
Magazine size increased from 8 to 10

Nano Boost
Ultimate cost has been increased by 20%

Biotic Grenade
Radius has been increased from 3 to 4 meters

Change to cost of nano boost had zero impact on meta. Grenade radius increase was direct buff and original biotic rifle buff made her best single target healer in the game, overshadowing Mercy easily, while gave her what still most likely is fastest ult in whole game. While also being ult with devastating effect on any fight, in every fight.

Personally I don't think it was coincidence that her popularity in casual and pro levels increased noticeably after her biotic rifle buffs, as those buffs had so large impact on her HPS and ultimate gain.
Well casual increased because of the pros. I think most people in general still find her hard to use. Lucio is an easier and often better option. Ana is also more helpful than Mercy because Ana can actually defend herself and kill opponents when she is not healing.

Did you watch the stream of her being played? She has about triple the ability of any other hero in the game. It's the same issue as Ana. In an effort to make something new, the other heroes feel old and shallow by comparison.

I remember the general opinion of Ana outside of dedicated forums being "No one's going to be her, she's trash."

All I'm saying is let people get their hands on her with the PTR. That's why it exists.

Tovarisc

Well casual increased because of the pros. I think most people in general still find her hard to use. Lucio is an easier and often better option. Ana is also more helpful than Mercy because Ana can actually defend herself and kill opponents when she is not healing.

Which goes back to point that Data West has made earlier in this thread. Why to pick Roster Vanilla hero for role X when Roster New hero is far more efficient and versatile in role X? Blizz giving buffs without any meaningful nerfs to Ana just made already strong pick over Mercy far more stronger.

Resurrection is strong situational ultimate yes, but in current landscape of massive AoE spam and hugely boosted direct damage you as Mercy are very unlikely to survive long enough to cast it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember the general opinion of Ana outside of dedicated forums being "No one's going to be her, she's trash."

All I'm saying is let people get their hands on her with the PTR. That's why it exists.

I remember the general opinion of Ana being 'wow sleep sounds really useful and grenade will make her exceptional with lucio'

and here we are

Sombra is a 3 star hero, very possible only good players can utilize her. Like Ana. Pros use her and she's damn good when used by pros. But the average player can't maximize her kit properly and many still think she's garbage.

Same for Genji. Even with the nerfs he's still a threat in the hands of a good player. But the bad ones are pretty much worthless waste of space on the team.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sombra is a 3 star hero, very possible only good players can utilize her. Like Ana. Pros use her and she's damn good when used by pros. But the average player can't maximize her kit properly and many still think she's garbage.

Same for Genji. Even with the nerfs he's still a threat in the hands of a good player. But the bad ones are pretty much worthless waste of space on the team.

Pharah is a 1 star hero. Star rating means nothing beyond 'oh this hero has a lot of abilities'

That's what I thought when I saw her kit before seeing her in action. But her gun is basically 76. It doesn't take a genius to throw a locator, run into a fight, shoot some stuff, and teleport back. Hacking med kits will be an instant reaction too. Invisibility to get back from spawn quicker than ANY other hero. Bad players will still wreck other bad players, unfortunately.

You know all those times when I'm standing right next to you guys and I can't heal you? I'm pretty sure that's not just my shitty aim.
Um... Well, uh...

I pretty much have to quick-scope constantly if I want to be of any use.
Hmm. Different strokes, different folks I guess.

I find it pretty easy to hit friendly tanks from medium to close range, and squishies from close range (but fuck Genji) without scoping. I really only scope to hit a Winston who dived or a Rein who charged, and of course long range enemies.

JHall

As a former Genji main, turned Ana main, now Sombra main. All these wanted nerfs to my favorite characters is really disheartening.

Downloaded the PTR for the first time since Ana got released. Ready for the update.

Are they going to add Sombra/Arcade to the existing PTR build? Aka the "we're just throwing things out there" phase? I assume they have to be ready to roll some of those changes out to the actual game by now right?

exYle

The thing is we're not losing because of me. We're losing because everyone wants to play Mcree and Reaper and no one wants to heal or tank.

It doesn't necessarily follow that you'll keep losing... and I never really go on long streaks, winning or losing anyway. It's all about that long term performance.

This attitude is dangerous to your long term enjoyment of the game. The idea of "well I can't keep losing, right?" is how you end up losing hundreds of SR per session. It's literally the gambler's fallacy. You don't have to stop playing the game, but you should really consider stopping competitive.

Again, it's not two losses total, it's two losses in a row. That's usually all it takes for a losing streak to start. You don't want to be playing a losing streak because, self-esteem of it or not, you're frustrated. Maybe it's your team, maybe it's you, but one thing I know for sure is that you're not having fun.

xaosslug

the other teams need to step their shit up because that South Korea Zarya play was the most exciting thing to come out of this whole championship, and it was mostly on account the way Zarya made her entrance! Even if the play hadn't been successful Zarya going in through that little window was EVERYTHING.

Azoor

I wish Blizzard would give us a better practice range in the future, Overwatch needs one that's more extensive and includes useful practice for each hero.

Just kidding guys, my most played characters are Rein, McCree, and Ana. I still think we should play with Sombra first in the PTR before discussing potential nerfs or buffs.
I am curious how the all the new stuff + Sombra will look.

I think Dva will have decent success against her, and maybe we'll see her a lot more after these buffs.

She seems pretty good against Zarya, but Zarya might be out of the meta anyway.

People say she kills Torb, but I disagree, once the turret is up, Torb isn't really relying on abilities anyway. And hacking the turret will be rare. There won't be many times that she'll be in hacking distance and not also the one closest to the turret, so that hack will rarely work. And armor is very effective against rapid fire guns.

And maybe new Symmetra is a huge counter to Sombra, who knows.

People getting ults less often, makes you less often to have one when Sombra EMPs/hacks you.

If Sombra just kills the Reinhardt Lucio meta and just becomes the new 'always picked but not totally broken' character I'm totally fine with that. I love meta shakeups.

Apathy

One of the dev guys was on steam with annemunition while she was streaming sombra yesterday. Along with his scary responses on what sombra could do with interactions of existing hero abilities (most of his answers amounted to "I don't know" which didn't fill someone watching with confidence) he also said that they built the character by making her feel fun to play first and will worry about balancing after. That is not the answer you want to hear. of course a character with overpowered abilities compared to what's already available is fun. This better be a long ptr cycle as opposed to the ana one, because sombra 100% needs to be toned down simply by looking at what she can do. Like 200 health is too much, 175 should be fine, 1 minute hacks on medkits should pennant be 40 seconds, and there should be absolutely no way she can see anyone under 50% through walls as a passive. That shouldnt even be in the kit.

Kaname

Getting reported for not being able to kill an enemy in a tight situation where I would have died anyway. Glad to see that whenever I play I end up with assholes :)

Apathy

Well Reaper can do the same thing and restores health when he kills someone. I mean honestly I just want her to be released like now. Instead they are doing this bullshit to make people that went to blizzcon feel "special."

They said Monday or Tuesday on the ptr. That's pretty soon, don't think anyone is going to get a fat head because of a 2 day advantage

JHall

I am curious how the all the new stuff + Sombra will look.

I think Dva will have decent success against her, and maybe we'll see her a lot more after these buffs.

She seems pretty good against Zarya, but Zarya might be out of the meta anyway.

People say she kills Torb, but I disagree, once the turret is up, Torb isn't really relying on abilities anyway. And hacking the turret will be rare. There won't be many times that she'll be in hacking distance and not also the one closest to the turret, so that hack will rarely work. And armor is very effective against rapid fire guns.

And maybe new Symmetra is a huge counter to Sombra, who knows.

People getting ults less often, makes you less often to have one when Sombra EMPs/hacks you.

If Sombra just kills the Reinhardt Lucio meta and just becomes the new 'always picked but not totally broken' character I'm totally fine with that. I love meta shakeups.

I feel like it's going to take a while for Sombra to become a mainstay in the meta. Like Ana, there is going to be a steep learning curve on how to play her properly. As for Zarya, she's still going to be a top pick because her ult is still the best in the game. Even with the ult resource nerf in PTR, one well timed Zarya ult can change the game.

As for Torb, no matter what they do to him he's still going to be F tier in my eyes.

I have a love/hate relationship with "meta shakeups" if Blizzard makes the game more diverse allowing for different hero comps I'm all for it. Or the could go the Bungie route and nerf everything into existence and have the game become stale.

Tovarisc

One of the dev guys was on steam with annemunition while she was streaming sombra yesterday. Along with his scary responses on what sombra could do with interactions of existing hero abilities (most of his answers amounted to "I don't know" which didn't fill someone watching with confidence) he also said that they built the character by making her feel fun to play first and will worry about balancing after. That is not the answer you want to hear. of course a character with overpowered abilities compared to what's already available is fun. This better be a long ptr cycle as opposed to the ana one, because sombra 100% needs to be toned down simply by looking at what she can do. Like 200 health is too much, 175 should be fine, 1 minute hacks on medkits should pennant be 40 seconds, and there should be absolutely no way she can see anyone under 50% through walls as a passive. That shouldnt even be in the kit.

She will be on PTR for 1 week and then to live along with Arcade, both new maps, Symmetra overhauls etc. in that mid-November patch. I bet.

Actually if she was on the roster for the World Cup final I think Korea and Russia would use her in every single game, even if they've never played her before. She's just that useful.

You know how Lucio is a 100% pick rate because he does one thing that no one else can do? Well no one else can do any of the things Sombra can do, and every single skill is amazing. Good enough to have a whole character built around every one of her abilities.

Tovarisc

I have a love/hate relationship with "meta shakeups" if Blizzard makes the game more diverse allowing for different hero comps I'm all for it. Or the could go the Bungie route and nerf everything into existence and have the game become stale.

Like meta isn't stale already.

Nimby

Banned
Passive wallhacks on a character means Sombra can tell the rest of her team where any low health character is and have someone take care of them, or do it herself.

EMP is a gross ultimate. This ultimate gives her the ability to decide team fights in an instant. It pretty much guarantees she will have a near 100% pick rate in pro games. As mentioned earlier, this combined with GS + a pulse bomb is a guaranteed kill. The only way to effectively stop the team wipe is to have Sombra on both teams. I'm unsure if EMP goes through shields like Winston's bubble or not, but a Winston shield could also protect the team if the Sombra is unable to get within the shield. They should really just scrap this ultimate and give her some kind of offensive ultimate.

Jellie

Passive wallhacks on a character means Sombra can tell the rest of her team where any low health character is and have someone take care of them, or do it herself.

EMP is a gross ultimate. This ultimate gives her the ability to decide team fights in an instant. It pretty much guarantees she will have a near 100% pick rate in pro games. As mentioned earlier, this combined with GS + a pulse bomb is a guaranteed kill. The only way to effectively stop the team wipe is to have Sombra on both teams. I'm unsure if EMP goes through shields like Winston's bubble or not, but a Winston shield could also protect the team if the Sombra is unable to get within the shield. They should really just scrap this ultimate and give her some kind of offensive ultimate.
Winston's bubble gets destroyed by her ult. You probably don't even need a pulse bomb making tracer even more redundant. Just graviton and EMP=no defence so just shoot them.

Blues1990

I'm willing to wait & see how this character will fare under public hands before passing judgement. With that said, I don't want Lucio to become useless, as he's my go-to support hero & is such a fun character to play as.

Nimby

Banned
Winston's bubble gets destroyed by her ult. You probably don't even need a pulse bomb making tracer even more redundant. Just graviton and EMP=no defence so just shoot them.

I read that it destroys shields but it doesn't effect anyone behind the shield because of LoS limitations (it's a bit confusing). But this doesn't stop her from just going invisible and flanking behind shields anyway. It also doesn't stop healing unless you're Lucio (can't switch songs) or Zenyatta (can't apply harmony orbs). A Reaper would kill everyone pretty easily by just firing though.

CwgllncUcAARloM.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
So, when will Symmetra be overhauled?

Blizzard old: 1/3 of the turret cooldown, teleporter ult charges even teleporter is up, have shields give 50. Give her 50 extra health too. Thanks

Tovarisc

Blizzard old: 1/3 of the turret cooldown, teleporter ult charges even teleporter is up, have shields give 50. Give her 50 extra health too. Thanks

They have talked about overhaul going live mid-November. I expect overhaul to come to PTR along with Sombra stuff, stay for about week there and then to Live.

They have talked about overhaul going live mid-November. I expect overhaul to come to PTR along with Sombra stuff, stay for about week there and then to Live.

At the earliest they said.

Those are straight numerical buffs. It looks like Symmetra is going to get a complete rework of her kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom