• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, not that it's a 100% foolproof solution, but at some point you gotta step out of what you might consider an ideal composition.

Like, we'll be 2-2-2, but if I'm on support and realise that we just need more DPS and sustain and someone to deal with that damn pharah I'll switch off to soldier. Only 1 support but sometimes you gotta evaluate what your team needs more.

Like yeah, you'll be doing work as reinhardt, but if no one is really utilising what you're used for (i.e. that big rectangle you have) what's the point of a rein? You could be doing better on another character.

I feel some teams can make non-meta comps work. (I just had a team last night where we absolutely obliterated with a Bastion on Offense and Defense). But then I see other teams where we have 1H-1T-4 and we can't push or hold to save our lives.

2-2-2 or 3-3 just feels stable and works almost every time. Everything else is just too dependent on everyone else performing their abilities to the point of not being a deficit. If you are running with 4 damage dealers who can't kill, and your Tank is good but constantly getting focused and melted, its a loss.

I mean....theres like no situation ever why we should have our solo tank as a Winston instead of any of the other 4. But yet I have to swap off Zarya or Rein because Mr. Junkrat and Mr. Hanzo think its more important to show off their golden weapons than heal or even try to tank.

EDIT: We just beat a 1-1-4 team as a 2-2-2 team. All I had to do as Reaper was jump on their Mercy nonstop, then get on Reinhardt from behind. Then rest of them folded, and they weren't a bad team as far as gameplay skill goes either. Just a bad comp

MGrant

I like 3-2-1 team comps the most these days, but at platinum division, most teams don't have 3 people who know how to play tanks. 2-2-2 isn't bad, but I feel like having at least 2 of 3 tank ults ready to go at any given time, especially on defense, does wonders for holding points and mitigating enemy ult advantage.

PatjuhR

I hate my PlayStation.

Since I connect to my internet with a LAN-cable I get a notification that my LAN-Cable is not connected and I'll get disconnected from the game. Within seconds I'm back up and I can rejoin the game. Now these disconnections always happen twice and after I just started my PlayStation, but it's very frustrating. If I forget that it happens I screw over my team by being gone for 10 seconds twice a match (and lose my ult build up).

This is a problem for every game I play, except for Rocket League, where I just get the notification, a little lag, and I'm back. So now I have to play Rocket League untill I get my two lan disconnections and I can play Overwatch.

I like 3-2-1 team comps the most these days, but at platinum division, most teams don't have 3 people who know how to play tanks. 2-2-2 isn't bad, but I feel like having at least 2 of 3 tank ults ready to go at any given time, especially on defense, does wonders for holding points and mitigating enemy ult advantage.

Having teams with 3 tanks feels amazing. They hardly ever die, and if they are really good they are putting out just as much hurt as an Offense character would.

Those are the times I'll play as Mercy or Zenyetta gladly.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mercy isn't even that great in a 3 tank setup though,

Oh I'm not saying go 1-1-4 as default. I'm not even saying go 1-1-4, just that don't adhere to an ideal comp if it isn't working, especially on solo q.

Oh I'm not saying go 1-1-4 as default. I'm not even saying go 1-1-4, just that don't adhere to an ideal comp if it isn't working, especially on solo q.

Yeah I'll definitely swap off if its needed. I just don't like not doing it from the start and then realizing we needed it afterwards

MGrant

That's true. Especially if you notice the enemy team doesn't have a counter to, say, Pharah, you can wreck house, even if you already have 2 other dps characters who are feeding and generally sucking.

Pharah, Roadhog, and Mei tend to be my "fuck this" characters I switch to if my team is sucking and not working together enough to warrant a meta comp in the first place.

I agree that 2-2-2 is often optimal when playing with strangers and there's little communication and coordination.

However it's not a magic bullet and goes to pieces pretty fast when 1) the tanks don't tank but over-extend constantly, 2) the 2 designated DPS persons aren't killing anything.

The latter problem is the one I encounter most often - bad Pharahs and Reapers are especially common, picking 1-on-1 battles away from the line of scrimmage (and not even winning those consistently.)

Of course, they'll always point to their medals when called out (well, duh, you have gold damage and elims because we're running 2-2-2; Lucio and Rein aren't going to out-DPS you, especially when they spend most of the match racing back to the frontline from spawn.)

Honestly, the lack of game sense even in the higher tiers is staggering. I wonder if Blizzard shouldn't do more to raise people's situational awareness (like, say, making the blue chevrons that denote team locations more informative.)

The latter problem is the one I encounter most often - bad Pharahs and Reapers are especially common, picking 1-on-1 battles away from the line of scrimmage (and not even winning those consistently.)

Yeah see this often too. Makes me sad when we really need a well played Reaper or Pharah and someone else has them locked out. Those two can REALLY change the dynamics of a match when they are played well or with a comp that supports them.

PatjuhR

Happens to often that the first three picks are attacking heroes who refuse to take another role, but can't make kills. Maybe it's time to try something different then.

Nice feeling when you get a compliment at the end of a match from someone who was complaining the whole game.

Greddleok

Happens to often that the first three picks are attacking heroes who refuse to take another role, but can't make kills. Maybe it's time to try something different then.

Nice feeling when you get a compliment at the end of a match from someone who was complaining the whole game.

This is the bane of low to mid rank competitive. Locking out DPS or harassers, then never killing anyone, and letting their healers run around unchecked. Coupled with never once swapping.

Danj

A new low!

8xEY6bZ.jpg

Is the rate you lose Rank based on hidden MMR as well?

I duo group with the same friend often, and on losses with him I usually only lose like 20-25, and he loses 30+. And on wins its the same, I gain more than he does.

The weird thing is we are almost always duoing on support, so its not like he's playing shittily.

2-2-2 is probably the worst setup for pubs with strangers and it's really baffling why people try to force it. It requires too much organization and trust for some random goobers you just met. You need both supports to avoid stacking their ults or using their ults at the wrong time. You need the tanks to be able to make space and avoid stacking their CC and minimize feeding their high hp pools. You need the dps to not only be able to do damage but complete kills otherwise they fuel ult charge to supports and characters that self heal. At the end of the day Overwatch is an fps and shit doesn't happen unless you kill people and at the mmr ranges most people play at you don't get reliable "killing people" power unless you throw as much shit at the wall as possible. Instead of thinking about certain lineups you should be thinking about what you can get away with and then adjust from there.

I was in a game in a duo q a few days back and we both picked the support role and let the randos pick the other characters who went into two tanks and two dps and this McCree/Genji player went into a mega rage fit on both of us saying he hoped we would fall to "wood" mmr. This same plat McCree missed an afk lucio sitting on the payload by himself in two clips from like 10 feet away and then got clobbered by the enemy team. That's 12 shots on a character who was not moving. You can't help these people by stuffing more health into him or holding a shield in front of him. You help them by doing your own damage.

The average overwatch player is like a Warhammer Ork. Easily agitated, deeply insecure, and made out of fungus. You want to do things the orky way and solve problems with as much "dakka" as possible. Instead of forcing the square peg in the round hole.

Is the rate you lose Rank based on hidden MMR as well?

I duo group with the same friend often, and on losses with him I usually only lose like 20-25, and he loses 30+. And on wins its the same, I gain more than he does.

The weird thing is we are almost always duoing on support, so its not like he's playing shittily.

Which supports are you guys playing normally?

You can't help these people by stuffing more health into him or holding a shield in front of him. You help them by doing your own damage.

The funny thing about this statement is that I actually have come to a similar conclusion. Sometimes, having a healer on your team doesn't even matter - all you do is be essentially defenseless and feeding the enemy by giving them more damage to get ult charge from (both your own and that health you restore). Sometimes it helps a lot more if you then pick a character who can do damage.

PatjuhR

If you are Zenyatta you should be getting more eliminations than him. For sure when he's Mercy, but also when he's Lucio.

And I believe the CP is also based on eliminations.

Danj

Damn dude. You need to put up a video or something so we can help point something you can improve on maybe.

Can't at the moment, I'm at my parents' house and the broadband here isn't good enough for streaming (low upload speed). Maybe when I get back at the weekend or something.

I'm usually Zen and he's usually Mercy or Lucio.

And that's the crux. You do damage, he does not. For some bizarre reason, the individual skill rating calculation takes into account damage/kills done even for support characters.
I guess with Zenyatta it would make sense since he does both damage and support, but with the others not so much.

If you two were to swap for a while, you'd notice exactly the same trend, just in reverse.

That's also the reason why you find so few support players in the top ranked players in competitive, and why support players generally end up getting lower rating.

PatjuhR

The funny thing about this statement is that I actually have come to a similar conclusion. Sometimes, having a healer on your team doesn't even matter - all you do is be essentially defenseless and feeding the enemy by giving them more damage to get ult charge from (both your own and that health you restore). Sometimes it helps a lot more if you then pick a character who can do damage.

This is true. There has been occasions, mostly KOTH, that we won games instead of not getting even close to the point because I switched out of being the solo healer to DPS.

And that's the crux. You do damage, he does not. For some bizarre reason, the individual skill rating calculation takes into account damage/kills done even for support characters.
I guess with Zenyatta it would make sense since he does both damage and support, but with the others not so much.

If you two were to swap for a while, you'd notice exactly the same trend, just in reverse.

That's also the reason why you find so few support players in the top ranked players in competitive, and why support players generally end up getting lower rating.

Well thats stupid. I seem to do well when I'm on Mercy as well, though I'm not sure if thats just accounting for the fact I peaked at 71 last season and he was around 66.

Hope they can find a way to balance that out one day.

Antiwhippy

Lucio should be getting quite a bit of elims actually, because while he might not do all the damage he should be touching everyone with his blasts. Also shows that you're assisting the dps by guiding them in the flow of battle.

I believe offensive assists is a pretty big determining factor also.

That feel when a Tracer spends the whole match focusing you as solo healer Zen and you kill her way more than she kills you.

Every time I see that discord on her and hear that headshot ding its like heaven.

Danj

That feel when a Tracer spends the whole match focusing you as solo healer Zen and you kill her way more than she kills you.

Every time I see that discord on her and hear that headshot ding its like heaven.

Killing a Tracer is very satisfying, Tracers are almost as annoying as Mei.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
wouldn't it be cool if for halloween every map will be at night and with a few decorations like pumpkins and other halloween stuff around the maps.

For example Ilios where it's normally sunny and daylight, it will be at night with clouds etc.

Everyone running around with halloween skins, oh man it would be great.

Antiwhippy

wouldn't it be cool if for halloween every map will be at night and with a few decorations like pumpkins and other halloween stuff around the maps.

For example Ilios where it's normally sunny and daylight, it will be at night with clouds etc.

Everyone running around with halloween skins, oh man it would be great.

But then how will it be high noon. :(

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Or how about we turn all heroes into zombies for halloween?

Man i hope Blizz has some really cool stuff for us in store.

I hope Mei gets no skins! :^)

How about we murder Mei and wear her skin for halloween?

darklin0

Banned
Take away Mei's skin.
The horror!
Look, if you want to see her naked we have the overwatch fanart thread, no need to ask over here.

Darn, foiled again!

Or how about we turn all heroes into zombies for halloween?

Man i hope Blizz has some really cool stuff for us in store.

How about we murder Mei and wear her skin for halloween?

Truly the darkest timeline.

Also, it wont be Halloween themed, it will be Dia de los Muertos themed! There will be sugar skulls, Marigolds, and remembering you passed away loved ones and you will like it!

God damn this game must hate me. Just got thrown into a 2400 rank match after every other has been 2900+ <_<

Luckily they were super free against a good Zenyetta and we won. That would have obliterated my rank to lose.

We're not that bad. :(

I'm sure you all arent. But when you have a Hanzo/Torb/Widow/Symmetra on Defense and a Bastion/Hanzo/Symmetra on Offense you tend to lower your expectations to below sea level.

Most of both teams were still Gold rank. So i have no idea how the hell that was even a legit match

The average overwatch player is like a Warhammer Ork. Easily agitated, deeply insecure, and made out of fungus. You want to do things the orky way and solve problems with as much "dakka" as possible. Instead of forcing the square peg in the round hole.

Beautiful and true, like a zen koan.

My 'fuck this noise' pick is Pharah; I've become pretty adept at forcing the front forward with force rockets and by punishing peekers with missiles to the face. Her mobility means I don't have to rely on flailing supports (although she's amazing with a good Mercy or Ana). I'm also amazed how fast her ult builds if you use a little accuracy.

Antiwhippy

I'm sure you all arent. But when you have a Hanzo/Torb/Widow/Symmetra on Defense and a Bastion/Hanzo/Symmetra on Offense you tend to lower your expectations to below sea level.

Yeah that does tend to happen way too often sadly.

I keep telling people that you can't have all defense characters for defense. Which they listen to me most of the time thankfully.

Swear every one of my losses tonight has been on Illos, and Illos has been like 70% of what I got tonight.....

I miss Hollywood and Numbani

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
I know most of it is common sense but is there anywhere in particular you'd suggest as a good source to read up/watch about which characters are good counters to the others?

I've watched the Lost Unit character vids, which were great but I feel like I could improve my game further with something a touch more in depth, specifically about match ups.

Blues1990

Well thats stupid. I seem to do well when I'm on Mercy as well, though I'm not sure if thats just accounting for the fact I peaked at 71 last season and he was around 66.

Hope they can find a way to balance that out one day.
I also wish the POTG montage can do more than showcase "Who got the highest multikill/elimination.", as I activated some excellent sound barriers that saved my team from an exploding mech, or when I got my team to retake the control point with Symmetra's teleporter

Wow just had my first total rage quit victory, everyone on the enemy team quit on the Defense round in Gibraltar.

They were camping the shit out of our spawn and screwed up and couldnt regroup to stop us from pushing the rest of the map. Sucks I only got 2 SR out of it though.....first round was a legit win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom