• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greddleok

I find Mercy can be AMAZING at certain choke points. You can safely keep your whole team topped off on defence as long as someone deals with flankers. Had a few games where I switched to her at a choke point and kept people alive for a long time. Once they're past that point I go back to Lucio who's a bit more dynamic.

On attack, I find it much more difficult. She's too easily picked off if people aren't looking out for flankers.
If there's someone like a Hanzo or Pharah, along with someone like D.Va or 76 it's nice and easy to fly between them all as they are all near the main group, but generally in completely different positions.

Mercy also shines when your DPS is full of flakers. Lucio can't really keep them healed, so I find it's better to be Mercy and keep up the tanks and when the flankers come running back with their tail between their legs, top them up.

caesar

Banned
I can kind of play Soldier and Reaper but I am not good enough at them to be able to carry a team at low rank. Lucio and Zarya I am not very good at at all and Zenyatta I just die straight away. Genji I am absolutely useless with, I can't do any damage with him at all.

As for Reinhardt, well, I can sure push a good payload and do the occasional charge and firestrike but that's about it. I rarely get good targets on my Earthshatter though sometimes I get lucky.

Whats your sens/mouse etc?

Any good tutorials or matches to watch to get a sense for the meta right now? I'm approaching the level required for competitive play and would like to go in less a noob than I am right now.

I really like the videos by youroverwatch.

Very clear and concise explanations of competitive terminology and strategies. I also like that the contributing players aren't at godlike pro-level just solid, consistent and coordinated. They get some criticism for not being amazing but I find it way more educational and useful to watch someone whose skill ceiling I can actually reach than, say, Seagull.

PatjuhR

My Zenyatta talk screen is still broken. I hate it that I can’t tell people my ult is ready or to group up.
Or use my new emote and voice line

Cyanity

Banned
It sounds like some of you need to cut back on solo queuing in competitive. I know finding a group of people to play with can be difficult, but it's worth the effort in the long run.

Greddleok

It sounds like some of you need to cut back on solo queuing in competitive. I know finding a group of people to play with can be difficult, but it's worth the effort in the long run.

Eh, solo queue is fine. You just have to take the rough with the smooth. Having an OT like this is a nice place to vent.

LiK

I can kind of play Soldier and Reaper but I am not good enough at them to be able to carry a team at low rank. Lucio and Zarya I am not very good at at all and Zenyatta I just die straight away. Genji I am absolutely useless with, I can't do any damage with him at all.

As for Reinhardt, well, I can sure push a good payload and do the occasional charge and firestrike but that's about it. I rarely get good targets on my Earthshatter though sometimes I get lucky.

so who's your mains and alts? you should have a good pool to choose from in case people pick them first. any hero you mentioned you're "not good enough" with, you should play QP and practice with them until you can reliably kill and win with them. I didn't bother with D.va and Soldier until S2 and I do pretty well with them in Comp now.

I'm not the only person who finds themselves having a Roadhog on the team in every match right? what has caused this sudden breakout of hookers wild hogs?

Tfw people actually pick defense heroes on map defense side. C'mon now it's 2016.
They're almost all still way better on defence than attack, now that's where you should be having beef with these heroes.

Also has anyone ever had success getting random players to not trickle in one by one after a lost team fight? It's like trying to part the red sea most of the time.
Desperately attempt "group up with me!" and see if anyone listens.

Cyanity

Banned
I really like the videos by youroverwatch.

Very clear and concise explanations of competitive terminology and strategies. I also like that the contributing players aren't at godlike pro-level just solid, consistent and coordinated. They get some criticism for not being amazing but I find it way more educational and useful to watch someone whose skill ceiling I can actually reach than, say, Seagull.

Thanks for the recommendation! I subscribed to them and will give their vids a watch after work.

Eh, solo queue is fine. You just have to take the rough with the smooth. Having an OT like this is a nice place to vent.

I don't mind solo that much, either. But you have to keep your tilt in check. It's way too easy to "fuck-it queue" because the last game was a close one that you lost.

2-3 is the best.

4-6 groups are a bigger gamble than solo, in my experience and honest o-pin-yun.

so who's your mains and alts? you should have a good pool to choose from in case people pick them first. any hero you mentioned you're "not good enough" with, you should play QP and practice with them until you can reliably kill and win with them. I didn't bother with D.va and Soldier until S2 and I do pretty well with them in Comp now.

I almost never played S76 until this season. I played for the achievements but felt that he wasn't niche enough for me. Or that he was too all-around. Or that stereotype of him being the COD character.

But this season, he's easily my most consistent character and quickly becoming my go-to when I feel like I'm not contributing enough for the team. There's a lot more nuance to playing him than I ever thought.

Greddleok

I don't mind solo that much, either. But you have to keep your tilt in check. It's way too easy to "fuck-it queue" because the last game was a close one that you lost.

2-3 is the best.

4-6 groups are a bigger gamble than solo, in my experience and honest o-pin-yun.

I hate playing against 4/5 stacks as a solo. You either get absolutely stomped, or completely destroy them. Plus, it means no one else is in chat, so you can say "stop playing Genji, you're just dying."

I like playing in 2/3 also. Some coordination, but nothing unfair.

LiK

2 and 3-man are the best for me. once you go higher, expect a clusterfuck with being MMed against a full group.

I actually took your advice and went from 2200 to 2700 in 2 days.

The only problem is that most people don't really listen when I talk on the mic. Just get ignored.

Can you elaborate on what the advice was? I've almost climbed back up to 2000 soloing it but leavers keep bringing me back down.

Lucio should be getting quite a bit of elims actually, because while he might not do all the damage he should be touching everyone with his blasts. Also shows that you're assisting the dps by guiding them in the flow of battle.

I believe offensive assists is a pretty big determining factor also.

I'm pretty much spamming Lucio's blasts all the time for area control. Is that not wise?

I had an amazing tie-breaker on Gibralter. We were tied 3-3 with about a minute each. Our team ended up carrying the payload all the way to completion. I've never seen an overtime meter last for 4+ minutes.

meshwork

2 and 3-man are the best for me. once you go higher, expect a clusterfuck with being MMed against a full group.

Yeah, it's a shame really. OW is one of those games where I don't want to play with all my friends at the same time even if they are around. Playing in a group of 6 basically ends with you being put against people who queue together all the time and play well together while you're just farting about like normal because you haven't built any synergy with your group. SR 3000 with a group of 6 is veeeery different to duo queue.

Contrast this with something like the battlefield series where playing with a full squad of 5 makes the game infinitely more enjoyable.

Greddleok

Can you elaborate on what the advice was? I've almost climbed back up to 2000 soloing it but leavers keep bringing me back down.

It won't help with leavers ):

The advice was basically
1) Make sure you know the game. Basics are more important than anything. Know people's ults, know what ults synergise with others, time them well, know the counters, swap heroes and don't be stubborn about playing your favourite DPS who's being focussed down. Etc.

2) Try to synergise with your team. Play multiple heroes and pick ones that fit what the randoms pick.

3) Communicate!!!!

4) Try to play carries, or at least try to learn carries in QP.

Communication has helped a lot, but it's not perfect. Playing carries has generally helped me win a lot of games. When I play Pharah or Zarya I do a lot better than when I play a support.

There may have been more, but honestly, I think 1) and 3) are the most important.

finalflame

The advice was basically
1) Make sure you know the game. Basics are more important than anything. Know people's ults, know what ults synergise with others, time them well, know the counters, swap heroes and don't be stubborn about playing your favourite DPS who's being focussed down. Etc.

2) Try to synergise with your team. Play multiple heroes and pick ones that fit what the randoms pick.

3) Communicate!!!!

Communication has helped a lot, but it's not perfect. Playing carries has generally helped me win a lot of games. When I play Pharah or Zarya I do a lot better than when I play a support.

There may have been more, but honestly, I think 1) and 3) are the most important.

There is no carrying in Overwatch.

Everything else is fantastic advice, though.

Moonkeis

I've started to play DVA more recently and I'm having a blast with her. I usually play Rein/Zarya as tanks but flanking with DVA and harassing people is so satisfying.

Greddleok

When I say "carries" I don't mean it literally. More just heroes who are able to do the supremely important things that you can't rely on your team to do.

Pharah, Tracer, Reaper and McCree can focus down healers effectively solo. They can also secure kills solo. Zarya can protect AND secure kills. Just heroes who are able to do stuff that you should be able to rely on other people for, but can't.

If the rest of your team is trash, it won't help, but if they're average, it will make all the difference.

The advice was basically

3) Communicate!!!!

Cool, thank you!

For the last couple of weeks I've mic'd up (PS4) every time I play comp. It seems to help - I try to play Zarya whenever possible (and if the team composition allows for it) and when (keyword: when) people notice me announcing my ult it goes well.

LiK

Just an observation, but I think I know why I synergize with certain players more. I tend to do the best with people who don't play my heroes. Seems simple but it appears that our different playstyles is what helps us win in 2 and 3-man groups. Example: Vault doesn't main any of my mains. So when we play 2-man, we tend to just go with our faves and we do well.

finalflame

When I say "carries" I don't mean it literally. More just heroes who are able to do the supremely important things that you can't rely on your team to do.

Pharah, Tracer, Reaper and McCree can focus down healers effectively solo. They can also secure kills solo. Zarya can protect AND secure kills. Just heroes who are able to do stuff that you should be able to rely on other people for, but can't.

If the rest of your team is trash, it won't help, but if they're average, it will make all the difference.
Ah, understood and agreed. Yah, under that definition I'd definitely classify Zarya as one of the heroes most able to "carry" when played well with at average team. She's the reason I stopped maining D.Va (well, that and the DM nerf).

Was just hoping new/Inexperienced players wouldn't see this and think "GOTTA GIT GUD SO I CAN HARD CARRY ALL MY SHIT TEAMS", because that's not doable in a strongly role and objective based game like OW, even if you're a pro playing with non-pros.

Just an observation, but I think I know why I synergize with certain players more. I tend to do the best with people who don't play my heroes. Seems simple but it appears that our different playstyles is what helps us win in 2 and 3-man groups. Example: Vault doesn't main any of my mains. So when we play 2-man, we tend to just go with our faves and we do well.

I think it's fairly clear comfort picks will be where people do best. Or at least it seems obvious to me. The dream on any random or premade team is that everyone has a useful main they're super comfortable with which collectively makes a great comp. Making the Mercy main play Rein isn't gonna do anyone any favors.

I happy that Ana is in the meta now (although maybe not for an ideal reason). But I can't believe my boy Zen is getting edged out and boring af Lucio is still here. I get it, he has a very unique skillset, but god damn he seems to do absolutely nothing the whole game these days. I wish people would go Ana and Zen or Pharmercy and leave Lucio behind for once, although I understand why they don't.

And yea, Zarya seems constant, wouldn't mind seeing a change there.

We need to play tonight. IT's been awhile.

Tovarisc

There is IF your level of skill is insanely above skill level of rest 11. Which is extremely unlikely if you aren't Diamond or Master level player intentionally throwing placements. In general whole "Just practice hard carries and carry your team" advice is bad as it makes people focus on DPS heroes. Resulting in comps where absolutely no one wants to play tank or support because those can't carry that well, and give you worse SR gains in general.

Jellie

We went well together but dva eats up zaryas charge so not too sure on that synergy :/

Greddleok

Cool, thank you!

For the last couple of weeks I've mic'd up (PS4) every time I play comp. It seems to help - I try to play Zarya whenever possible (and if the team composition allows for it) and when (keyword: when) people notice me announcing my ult it goes well.

Thank Vault Dweller 111. It's his/her advice. I'm just repeating it!

Announcing your Ult is SO important.

Two very recent examples.

Game 1) I was Pharah, announced my ult. The D.Va also announced, watched me (I assume) popped hers and all the enemies hid around a wall...where I was waiting and got 5 kills from it.

Game 2) I announce my ult as Zarya. The enemy is nicely bunched up, I'm waiting for someone else to tell me they have theirs before I waste mine. Hanzo blows his ult without mentioning it and the team scatters. He gets no kills.
If he had said it, I would have grav'd and he would have easily got 4+ kills. So frustrating that he didn't pay attention to my announcement.

I tend to find I play better with aggressive teams. I play very aggressively, and when I the rest of my team is timid, I end up dying. If they're also aggressive, it works REALLY nicely.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I happy that Ana is in the meta now (although maybe not for an ideal reason). But I can't believe my boy Zen is getting edged out and boring af Lucio is still here. I get it, he has a very unique skillset, but god damn he seems to do absolutely nothing the whole game these days. I wish people would go Ana and Zen or Pharmercy and leave Lucio behind for once, although I understand why they don't.

Eh, a good lucio (and I mean someone who actually knows how to play him) dictates the entire flow of battle.

Prelude.

Got the game on pc.

Went 8-2 in placements and placed 3035. Mostly just carried with McCree, guess all that quake payed off.

Who wants to add me on Eu, caesar#2952 ?
Added. I mostly play support and tank so a good DPS is always welcome.
I'm not sure I'm gonna play a lot in the next few days since I don't want to level up before the next season event, but still. I might just give up, though, the PTR is not an ideal place for a european.

Seagull's Mei is a ton of fun to watch.

I feel so slow when I play her and he looks like he just cruises around the map, even without Lucioboost.

I might be on Destiny. Trying to get to level up some more until I can play Heroic Daily. You can join me. I'm 345 now.
I need to play some Overwatch to balance with Destiny. But it'd be fun to have a grinding partner trying to get raid ready has been rough.

Thank Vault Dweller 111. It's his/her advice. I'm just repeating it!

Announcing your Ult is SO important.

Two very recent examples.

Game 1) I was Pharah, announced my ult. The D.Va also announced, watched me (I assume) popped hers and all the enemies hid around a wall...where I was waiting and got 5 kills from it.

Game 2) I announce my ult as Zarya. The enemy is nicely bunched up, I'm waiting for someone else to tell me they have theirs before I waste mine. Hanzo blows his ult without mentioning it and the team scatters. He gets no kills.
If he had said it, I would have grav'd and he would have easily got 4+ kills. So frustrating that he didn't pay attention to my announcement.

I tend to find I play better with aggressive teams. I play very aggressively, and when I the rest of my team is timid, I end up dying. If they're also aggressive, it works REALLY nicely.
Ha, give yourself the credit. I'm really glad you proved my theory. :)

Eh, a good lucio (and I mean someone who actually knows how to play him) dictates the entire flow of battle.
Lucio can still be great in most pub games. But I feel like every Lucio in esports has pretty much capped how good he can be, so there is no variation. Who is the best Lucio in the world? And how much better is he than the second best? See what I mean?

Greddleok

There is IF your level of skill is insanely above skill level of rest 11. Which is extremely unlikely if you aren't Diamond or Master level player intentionally throwing placements. In general whole "Just practice hard carries and carry your team" advice is bad as it makes people focus on DPS heroes. Resulting in comps where absolutely no one wants to play tank or support because those can't carry that well, and give you worse SR gains in general.

Yeah, you're right. I was just repeating the advice. If I added my own number fifth point, it'd be:

5) Don't be the guy who won't pick a tank or support. If no one else will, just do it.

My competitive play time is Mercy > Lucio > Zarya > D.Va > 76 > Pharah > Rein > Zenyatta etc. I prefer playing tanks and those two DPS. But I'll pick up healing if no one else is willing (or if the one healer is trash).

Danj

Whats your sens/mouse etc?

I have this thing.

5f08ee27-dc2e-4bdb-9256-ee2d19891cdd.jpg

Mouse sensitivity is at 15.00. I think I tried different settings but they just felt really weird.

I feel like I'm pretty good with D.va but she is not always the best fit depending which map it is. I have the best luck with her on Nepal.

LiK

I feel like I'm pretty good with D.va but she is not always the best fit depending which map it is. I have the best luck with her on Nepal.

i play her in every map. She's pretty versatile to me. I only switch depending on enemy hero choices and if they're countering me a lot. you should also learn to play her in Attack on Payload maps. She's pretty good there too.

Destiny PVP felt so slow after playing OW so much. dem frames do matter.

I had to up my Destiny sensitivity because going back to Overwatch felt way too fast. Which is funny because for Overwatch my sensitivity is pretty low. Putting it at 6 let's you keep similar aim speeds in Overwatch and Destiny.

Greddleok

i play her in every map. She's pretty versatile to me. I only switch depending on enemy hero choices and if they're countering me a lot. you should also learn to play her in Attack on Payload maps. She's pretty good there too.

My D.Va damage recently dropped. I stopped playing her for a while and now I forget how to use her ):

She's my favourite!

LiK

I had to up my Destiny sensitivity because going back to Overwatch felt way too fast. Which is funny because for Overwatch my sensitivity is pretty low. Putting it at 6 let's you keep similar aim speeds in Overwatch and Destiny.

for some reason my sensivity in Destiny was a friggin' 3 and i was barely moving. i do not remember being that low. maybe the patch/update fucked with it. i thought i had it at 5. anyway, i also doubled it to 6 cuz it def felt better that way.

Is there any place that breaks up your w/l record with ties included? That would be helpful. I can't remember if I have 5 or 6, and it's making me a little twitchy.

Also, I would love a by-Hero stat breakdown that can be filtered by stage and/or game type.

Danj

I once did a rush on attack on Anubis with D.va, 1 minute 20 seconds for the whole thing.

Greddleok

Is there any place that breaks up your w/l record with ties included? That would be helpful. I can't remember if I have 5 or 6, and it's making me a little twitchy.

Also, I would love a by-Hero stat breakdown that can be filtered by stage and/or game type.

overbuff

Not 100% accurate, but it's as close as you'll get.

pizzacat

Banned
Anyone help me with my mic?
It's fine on PS4 but when I use it on PC either the volume is too low so I have to use the mic boost and max the volume just to be audible but then there is loads of static. How can I reduce the static or increase the volume without using a boost? Need it for when I tackle comp/play with other gaffers.
I'm having the same problem, you find anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom