• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
Ffs.

My ps4 disconnected at the start of the game. I could've rejoined if it wasn't just after the start.

Now I frustrated 11 people and I got a loss and I can't play anymore.

Fucking awesome PS4. Thank you.

Only you take the loss hit. It sounds like you disconnected early enough to where the match completely got canceled.

MG310

Attack on Hanamura. First two picks are Widowmaker and Hanzo.

Widowmaker only runs through the front gate.

Then on defense spends more time trying to grapple around the inside of Point A than shooting.

Had a good 3-2 Nepal win though.

antitrop

Won a QP game as McCree with 2 other McCrees on my team. It was fun. I don't play a lot of QP, but I need serious McCree practice. I can usually hit about 50-60% accuracy, so I'm not too bad with him. I'm just not consistent and I'm not good at headshots.

Ugh. They swapped to Bastion for the final checkpoint on Dorado and we just wouldn't adapt.

Doesn't matter if everyone is Diamond level if you just wait for everyone else to swap to the counter. Bad loss in my first ranked game in a few days.

wow, actually had a solo Q comp team where everyone had a mic, everyone communicating and making sure everyone is on the same page. Everyone making proper picks, knowing their role and doing their job right.

Of course it was a steamroll.

Why can't it always be like this.

Kito

Let's see how Envy trying to hold with Symmetra/Ana works out.

Just watched this. Ana can't solo heal. On top of that, Talespin on Junkrat, so you have him and Sym overspamming damage to quickly give ult to opponent supports. Really sloppy comp.

Comp aside, his Sym play was bronze/silver level; obviously hadn't practiced her much on King's Row. Turrets should be placed inside the health pack room and behind it, not at chokes. If the opponents don't have heroes with verticality like D.Va or Genji, teleporter should be on the top floor and infested with turrets.

Just watched this. Ana can't solo heal. On top of that, Talespin on Junkrat, so you have him and Sym overspamming damage to quickly give ult to opponent supports. Really sloppy comp.

Comp aside, his Sym play was bronze/silver level; obviously hadn't practiced her much on King's Row. Turrets should be placed inside the health pack room and behind it, not at chokes. If the opponents don't have heroes with verticality like D.Va or Genji, teleporter should be on the top floor and infested with turrets.

Mmmm

I feel like turrets covering the flank route are useful, but you need to have a couple watching the point to aid in a team fight. Teleporter upstairs is great, but you need to add Reaper to that list, I feel.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like putting turrets on teleporter is useless because unless you're staying nearby to babysit it, any semi competent player will destroy the turrets and then the teleporter. And if you're babysitting it you're essentially letting your team fight 5 v 6.

Sym is flawed at higher level plays in a lot of ways.

mulac

Playing alot more of this now on PC - up to level 15 at the moment.

I cant break out of my Solider & Reinhart & Bastion switching though...whats a good "next" character to ease myself into (pun intended).

So given that no one uses a mic in QP on PS4 I was wondering whether people use mic in competitive?

It's very common there's at least one person with a mic in my CP games, so it's more common than I'd expect.

I never use my mic in QP anymore, but use it every time in comp. It's exceedingly rare that I go through a comp match with nobody else on the mic. I've mentioned it before, but being the first one to speak up makes all the difference in the world. I had a match this morning where I was the only talker for the first 30 seconds and we ended up with ALL SIX solo comp players communicating on mics by the end.

I just try to be helpful with positional callouts and ult updates etc.

I feel like putting turrets on teleporter is useless because unless you're staying nearby to babysit it, any semi competent player will destroy the turrets and then the teleporter. And if you're babysitting it you're essentially letting your team fight 5 v 6.

Sym is flawed at higher level plays in a lot of ways.

Basically this. Turret nests around teleporters don't really impede anything, and do rob your team of turret support.

She needs so many fixes ;__;

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It feels like the best competitive use of Symmetra's tele is to actually drop it after people on your team died so it pops up right when they're in spawn and can't be taken down, which is effectively a half assed res that also relies on Sym not getting picked off.

It's so noisy that it's super easy for flankers to home in on, which was especially obvious in that envyus game earlier since the camera was from iddqd's PoV so you could hear how loud it was being put up.

I also still have no idea why her turrets are on such a long cooldown. They really aren't *that* impactful, the movement speed slowing is a bigger deal than the damage, and they have 1hp so when you have someone like Zarya spamming her alt fire into a choke any splash damage wipes them out which is super frustrating. Also makes her worse if she dies/returns to a point since it takes awhile to set up everything again.

What the hell is up with Roadhog?

The pros are still great with him. And I used to be a beast but Im killing like less than 50% of my hooked squishies. They go right through me a ton. And otherwise my bullets just don't seem to hit as much.

komaruR

The pros are still great with him. And I used to be a beast but Im killing like less than 50% of my hooked squishies. They go right through me a ton. And otherwise my bullets just don't seem to hit as much.

well pros focus down the opportunity of the life time. :p
its prolly half dead before hog left click register

Okay, so, I've been thinking about it because it keeps coming up, and here's how I'd try and fix Symm without outright discarding and replacing pieces of her kit:

M1 & M2 can stay the same. Maybe a little bit longer range on M1, and a little bit faster move time on M2 (or tie speed to ball size), but honestly, both are pretty great.

Turrets: Increase count to 8, give her the option of placing either damage/slowdown or healing turrets. All turrets available at the start of the game, once game starts cap stored turrets at 4-6. Dramatically reduce turret setup time. Slight stealth effect on turrets, not outright invisibility but... reduced visibility.

Shields: change from flat rate to fixed %. Base it on lowest health character. Set it to maybe 1/6th of character's health. Add the ability to boost shields temporarily, Lucio style, but on a per-character basis. Maybe an additional percentage, maybe a fixed quantity. Cooldown for boosting should be per character. This adds an interesting dynamic, as you're forced to both choose which characters to boost, and when to boost them. Is it better to fortify your tank at the start of the fight, or do you wait until they're at lower health?

Teleporter: This one is kind of tough to wrangle. Right now, ults are 100% team fight oriented. Any ability that doesn't contribute to the team fight is basically worthless. So, to address that, I'd have her teleporter apply a short-term buff to anybody who comes through it. That should be in terms of an extra layer of shields (that decays much more slowly than the fortify shields) and maybe a damage boost, though if it does get one it should be significantly lower than Ana's. Teleporter should also have DRAMATICALLY reduced visibility and audibility. I would propose that, after placing, it should slowly fade from view as it goes unused, eventually becoming nearly invisible and wholly inaudible. When someone goes through it, it surges back to visibility, then starts fading again. This makes *when* you place the teleporter important, since you need to be away from view. Charges stay at 6, at least to start with, and you should be able to build up 50% charge while the teleporter is out. Numbers involved here are all very flexible, you'd clearly need to figure that out through trial and error.

Addition: give her something to codify the "bunny hop around and melt people" tactic. I'm thinking some kind of movement ability. You could justify a double jump through hard light stuff, but I'm kind of inclined to tie into the reduced visibility stuff somehow. Maybe have her vanish for a moment at the top of a jump? Just to mess with people.

adamy

Banned
Seems like a lot of people in qp don't know how to respond to Winston. I can't believe how much success I've had destroying the back lines and helping to take over an attack objective

ricelord

stuck in the 3500's hell, go below 3500 get teamed up with people like 200 point below me, if i'm above 3500 i get faced with top 500 players thats rank 200 or less.

Papercuts

In the pro matches they didn't focus on it a ton but you could still see it happen, I forget what match it was today but I saw roadhog hook a tracer, the shot didn't kill and he rewinded which is actually awful to have happen but the commentary didn't say anything. There was this atleast.

Though I'd also say they're more organized so there's value in just pulling a target into your team to help kill, while in comp matches I find it's more all in on the roadhog player to get the kill or else they escape. Personally I've still been doing fine sticking with Roadhog, though I've had to make really sketchy snapshots more often, lol. Biggest issue has been Ana who has the wonkiest hitbox I've ever seen.

Owzers

I had a couple fun games of comp with The Letdown and a biscuit, or at least someone related to a biscuit. We got paired with another group of three vs a six stack once though and that was rouggggggggggggh. I also learned how to switch between chats in a way that works, through the social menu not options. So that's good, now people can hear me say important things without any rambling.

Sometimes switching off support is a good idea. Just had a KOTH match where I played Lucio the first round and went 3-8 with barely 2000 healing done because my team wasn't putting out any DPS or protecting me. I switched to Soldier and our Mercy switched to Lucio. I proceeded to go 43-9 over the next 3 matches with 32 objective kills and we routed them handily. Felt good, especially since I took their Pharah out of the sky multiple times.

Starting to think Soldier is my best character.

AbaFadi

Banned
So given that no one uses a mic in QP on PS4 I was wondering whether people use mic in competitive?

In my experience, usually around three people on the mic in competitve. Sometimes the entire team will use a mic. Nobody really uses a mic in quickplay.

Owzers

Sometimes switching off support is a good idea. Just had a KOTH match where I played Lucio the first round and went 3-8 with barely 2000 healing done because my team wasn't putting out any DPS or protecting me. I switched to Soldier and our Mercy switched to Lucio. I proceeded to go 43-9 over the next 3 matches with 32 objective kills and we routed them handily. Felt good, especially since I took their Pharah out of the sky multiple times.

Starting to think Soldier is my best character.

So far i've decided that if the enemy has one healer and we have two and are stalling, we need one less healer. Did they have one or two healers?

In the pro matches they didn't focus on it a ton but you could still see it happen, I forget what match it was today but I saw roadhog hook a tracer, the shot didn't kill and he rewinded which is actually awful to have happen but the commentary didn't say anything. There was this atleast.

Though I'd also say they're more organized so there's value in just pulling a target into your team to help kill, while in comp matches I find it's more all in on the roadhog player to get the kill or else they escape. Personally I've still been doing fine sticking with Roadhog, though I've had to make really sketchy snapshots more often, lol. Biggest issue has been Ana who has the wonkiest hitbox I've ever seen.
Is there anything I can do better? Should I not move after having them hooked or something? He seriously feels awful and unplayable. And a few weeks ago he was my favorite.

Papercuts

Is there anything I can do better? Should I not move after having them hooked or something? He seriously feels awful and unplayable. And a few weeks ago he was my favorite.

Not sure if you do it but I'd stop jumping before you throw it since getting jumping hooks seems to confuse the hell out of the game. I jump around a lot and noticed this so atleast before I hit the button I make sure to stop, unless I need to to get an angle on someone above me. I'd still walk forward after hooking just in case they're put farther away. I find it depends a lot on what character I hook though on how I react, if they don't have an escape I usually hold the shot for a bit longer so I can make sure it's lined up.

Just had another successful comp match where we steamrolled on Gibraltar - with two wins in a row I'm not gonna push my luck and instead just call it a night. It was six solos vs a team of 3 and team of 2. I thought for sure it was going to be harder fought but their team was more disorganized than I expected. It helps when I get paired with a team who stays by the payload and doesn't overextend.

Also I definitely think Soldier is my best character now. I think his versatility is what makes me good with him. He can back line harass, front line defend, flank a held point, clear points with an ult - whatever you need he's got it. I was constantly harassing the enemy supports that game. I almost felt bad for their Mercy.

So far i've decided that if the enemy has one healer and we have two and are stalling, we need one less healer. Did they have one or two healers?

They had a Zen and a Lucio. It was pretty much our team just wasn't killing targets - they had a Pharah that our McCree (who then switched to Widowmaker for the rest of the first round) wasn't dealing with and a Roadhog that people wouldn't focus down and kept letting him heal himself.

Once I switched to DPS and targeted their Pharah and helped focus down their tank, we started organizing better.

Well I better go practice in Roadhog QP because as it is right now I only have one viable tank need to keep the Hog in my lineup.

Bad day of competitive. 0-3

Trying to play some Destiny at the moment but the quality drop is so severe from Overwatch that I have to constantly ask myself why I'm playing it

maomaoIYP

Trying to play some Destiny at the moment but the quality drop is so severe from Overwatch that I have to constantly ask myself why I'm playing it

The frame rate is so bad in Destiny. I have only booted it once after I started playing OW, and deleted it after 5 mins because it felt like an unplayable slideshow.

Xzan

Not sure if you do it but I'd stop jumping before you throw it since getting jumping hooks seems to confuse the hell out of the game. I jump around a lot and noticed this so atleast before I hit the button I make sure to stop, unless I need to to get an angle on someone above me. I'd still walk forward after hooking just in case they're put farther away. I find it depends a lot on what character I hook though on how I react, if they don't have an escape I usually hold the shot for a bit longer so I can make sure it's lined up.

Yeah, if you watch the clip you linked, Gods is moving forward for a moment after he fires the hook and its enough to confuse the game. The hook attempts to pull IID where Gods was when he fired it and you can see him bounce over Gods head to reach the 'correct' position.

MG310

Don't think I'm going to top this tonight in my solo scrub league adventures. Leaving on a high note. Got POTG too but it was just eliminating a Widowmaker, Ana, and 76 in sequence.

Overwatch_%20Origins%20Edition_20160927005736.jpg~original

I need to rant a bit, but how do you deal with those games where you just want to GG out straight after hero picking screen? Teams like hanzo, ana, mei, zarya and junkrat on offense. It doesn't matter what I pick. And then, when its time to defend, everyone again chooses something equally retarded and the cart literally never stops moving. After last nights 3-11 loosing streak i feel fucking exhausted.

I just played a match with two guys who had over 4000 SR, one of which was a Bastion main.

The other team had a guy named Mercy_Is_OP.

It's been an interesting night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom