• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

In S1, didn't you lose more rank if you left the game even after it was safe to leave?

Every single time I did that I would end up losing a whole rank, while if I stayed, even with 1vs6, I wouldn't lose that much.

yea, like i said, we lost a full rank aka full bar. so stupid.

matmanx1

Playing alot more of this now on PC - up to level 15 at the moment.

I cant break out of my Solider & Reinhart & Bastion switching though...whats a good "next" character to ease myself into (pun intended).

Sounds like you should pick up a Support to compliment your other picks. Being able to play at least one or two heroes from each category with competence is a good rule of thumb.

In the Support category there are a lot of good choices. Almost all of them, really, with the exception of Symmetra who can absolutely dominate low skill QP matches but tends to have serious problems versus coordinated teams at higher skill levels.

I would focus on Lucio, Ana or Zenyatta first but don't neglect Mercy. She is surprisingly fun with a good group or if your team has a Pharah since you can basically use the Guardian Angel ability to "fly" as long as Pharah is in the air.

Roubjon

When does the season end? I want to see if I can get to the rank above diamond before it's over but I haven't really been playing much lately.

Danj

Another great D.va performance from me today:

WBCzM31.jpg

Sorral

never left again. i'll just truck through it. might as well try and practice.

Me too. Haha! Practice makes perfect! People leaving is just a temporary setback, this fight is not over.

Yeah, had a round last night where we thought we were done for, but actually managed to win after we pushed the payload much further than the enemy team in under 1 min, and they even had 2 mins longer than us to start with.

With the above being possible and draws also in the game, I don't see why anyone would really leave now. But someone did earlier on the enemy team, so..

Palmer_v1

Matchmaking has been worse and worse lately in QP. Solo regularly takes over a minute to find a game, and Duo is easily 3+ minutes every time. It's hard to even say for sure because skirmish.

Also, I wish they had a custom mode for skirmishing, like KoTH that doesn't reset. Something to give it even the tiniest bit of focus instead of aimlessly spawncamping while you wait for a real game.

Isn't it possible the diamonds and plat group were on a losing streak while the gold diamond duo crew were winning? There's a hidden MMR when match making correct?
I was in the duo queue and we definitely weren't on a streak / winning all that much. I'm not convinced there's much more than making the team averages roughly equivalent when the game is putting people together. Just gonna play with 3+ people at all times now, everything else I get stuck with unfair bullshit.

Man I don't know if it was the weekend being over, or my attitude, but I played like 4 comp matches last night and didn't lose any of them.

I was only in a 3 stack for 1 of them too.

Also I streamed my play last night, you can check it here if you want:

https://www.twitch.tv/sn3s2

Part 1 had some mic issues that I fixed before part 2.

The Twitch channel is under construction since I haven't used it since 2014, so bear with me.

But I figured I might as well stream / record footage in case anything dank happens. I'll get a new YouTube channel up and running to archive the streams too, since my current one is more about computers and technical stuff.

LiK

Comp on EU and yes. Thanks :)

Mostly it was sit on the point with some support and kill everything that tries to come in there D.va. I had some really great killstreaks there.

There you go. Now use her to climb out of ELO Hell

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Was match made as 6 randoms vs double 3 man groups. -_-

We won.

Ana is a fucking beast in koth.

Also ended the day on the exact same SR lmao. At least I didn't go lower I guess.

Skii

Competitive is killing me. Lost 200 points today. Only 1 game out of the 8 losses was closely contested. Every other game, we got completely stomped with me having most objective time for 4 of those games as Reaper. It was just embarrassing how bad everyone was. I was literally doing everything myself. Even on the KOTH map, only my death blossom was enough to capture a point. I think I had 10 death blossom kills out of 3 rounds against a team that was destroying us. I played Zarya but my team's DPS would do nothing. I switched to Zen and got absolutely no protection from my DPS/tanks. I was just easily picked off.

And to top it all off, on my last game, there was no countdown so no one had realised that time was running out until it was too late and we were all off the point. So blizzard cost me a game thanks to an audio glitch.

This is why I don't play competitive :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
NZVh4G9.png

Starting to get the hang of securing more elims as ana. Probably still need to learn to juggle more between healing and elims though. A lot of that was sniping out pharahs because my team couldn't do it.

You just have so many things to juggle between as ana, plus your game sense has to be really honed just to get those crucial sleeps. So much fun. She's starting to become one of my fave heroes in the game right next to mei and DVa.

Like, don't be an ana that doesn't focus on healing, because that's how you build ult anyway, but I firmly believe that if you're not getting picks as ana you're also not doing your job. Hell, just biogrenade alone should secure you some while being a great asset for your team too in a teamfight.

Starting to think that I really need to put sleep onto one of my mice's buttons though. Missing more than I should.

xaosslug

6 stack with 5 diamonds and a plat against 4 plat randoms with a gold diamond duo. Balanced matchmaking.

also, my play today has been shit. RIP. Lost another one w/ Drizzler and then got banned for being AFC (I thought he said he was gonna invite someone else, and got kicked for inactivity T__T)

dem drops, doe.
qZALqga.gif

Danj

There you go. Now use her to climb out of ELO Hell

Yeah, trouble is it's pretty rare to actually win. The next game was on Gibraltar, team pushed the payload 66% of the way to the first checkpoint before whiffing and of course there was no way we could hold it there on defense.

NZVh4G9.png

Starting to get the hang of securing more elims as ana. Probably still need to learn to juggle more between healing and elims though. A lot of that was sniping out pharahs because my team couldn't do it.

You just have so many things to juggle between as ana, plus your game sense has to be really honed just to get those crucial sleeps. So much fun. She's starting to become one of my fave heroes in the game right next to mei and DVa.

Like, don't be an ana that doesn't focus on healing, because that's how you build ult anyway, but I firmly believe that if you're not getting picks as ana you're also not doing your job. Hell, just biogrenade alone should secure you some while being a great asset for your team too in a teamfight.

Starting to think that I really need to put sleep onto one of my mice's buttons though. Missing more than I should.
She's a blast to play. The console plebs are catching on too.

Seeing her all the time lately...

antitrop

And then on attack, I go Zarya and the rest of my team think it's best to defend at their spawn. We of course all die within 30 seconds.

That never ceases to amaze me how often it happens. Hollywood has one of the easiest chokes to cover and then so many people are just like "Let's spawn camp and all just die".

As Zenyatta, all I can do is throw a Harmony Orb at them and watch as it turns to a skull in like 2 seconds.

LiK

i don't understand when people in Diamond still do the camp spawn thing and then die immediately. so fucking dumb.

xaosslug

That never ceases to amaze me how often it happens. Hollywood has one of the easiest chokes to cover and then so many people are just like "Let's spawn camp and all just die".

As Zenyatta, all I can do is throw a Harmony Orb at them and watch as it turns to a skull in like 2 seconds.

where does this come from? Do pros do this? I can only assume it's something peeps do because it has been done to them? Numbani, Hanamura, Hollywood... peeps STAY trying this. T__T

antitrop

i don't understand when people in Diamond still do the camp spawn thing and then die immediately. so fucking dumb.
It's not usually the entire team, but very often it's like 1 Tracer that reveals herself to the entire enemy team as soon as they leave spawn and gets 6v1'd, instead of waiting for them to move up to the choke and then harassing the supports.

Also I want to say for as much as we spend this thread complaining about teammates, I have to say that the teams I got matched with to make it to Diamond last night were on point. Lots of communication, good team comps, everyone playing their roles.

I'm not very good with Ana, but our team was communicating so well that I was able to make it work. On our final push, both our Rein and our D.Va let me know they were intentionally going to take a bunch of damage, so my Ult went from like 10 to 100% in about 10 seconds and I Q'd the Rein for the final push and that was it.

A shitty team would have just pushed in without making sure I got my Ult up.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I need to rant a bit, but how do you deal with those games where you just want to GG out straight after hero picking screen? Teams like hanzo, ana, mei, zarya and junkrat on offense. It doesn't matter what I pick. And then, when its time to defend, everyone again chooses something equally retarded and the cart literally never stops moving. After last nights 3-11 loosing streak i feel fucking exhausted.

My advice would be that unless you are at the absolute top tier of play, while composition is important you are almost certainly still overvaluing it. Skilled players in pub matches can succeed with any hero. And if you're going into a match with a negative attitude from minute zero then you are part of the problem when your team loses.

You know you've drawn the bad hand when you get teammates playing the wait by spawn game on defence.
Even if they get a kill the payoff simply isn't worth it, it boggles my mind that some people still do this at Plat rank.

You just have to laugh when people think it's your fault that you are constantly forced into 1v4+ situations because your team is so incompetent at getting kills.

The worst is when you go in under the impression the team will follow (this always happens to me as D-Va), you deliver damage but get ultimately overwhelmed, only when exploding out of my mech do I notice that either...
- No one tried pushing with me
- They all somehow died immediately

I'm always reminded of this line from Goldeneye

Greddleok

Had a game where I was ROCKING Zarya. Gold elims/objective elims, gold damage, gold obj time.

Switched to attack. Some asshat grabs Zarya before I have a chance and we get destroyed.

Oh yeah, and back in the 25XXs now. Keep getting matched up with terrible players who refuse to pick supports.

Moonkeis

The worst is when you go in under the impression the team will follow (this always happens to me as D-Va), you deliver damage but get ultimately overwhelmed, only when exploding out of my mech do I notice that either...

Nothing worse than a team that won't push with you. That first choke on Eichenwalde, I've pushed so many times into the left room as Rein, only to find my team mates still in the other room...

Figures. Got to 2482 SR, one more win puts me in Platinum, and then I get paired with a team that can't figure out how to beat a Bastion/Torbjorn/Symmetra defense on Hanamura and gets stuffed at the choke point for four minutes. And they were all playing the hard counters to said characters. Ugh. Really frustrating.

Danj

Oh yeah, and back in the 25XXs now. Keep getting matched up with terrible players who refuse to pick supports.

Even if you get players who pick supports that's no guarantee of anything, I just got completely owned on Eichenwalde and we had 2 healers.

Skii

I just don't understand how players like this end up in platinum. This is bronze level play. That game was 5 minutes in total and I lost 40 points because of it.

You know you've drawn the bad hand when you get teammates playing the wait by spawn game on defence.
Even if they get a kill the payoff simply isn't worth it, it boggles my mind that some people still do this at Plat rank.

I'm always reminded of this line from Goldeneye

I can't tell you how many times I'm left by myself as Reaper. I'm baby sitting a tank/support and then they just decide to go solo and instantly we get picked apart. It's just such bad play.

Greddleok

Even if you get players who pick supports that's no guarantee of anything, I just got completely owned on Eichenwalde and we had 2 healers.

It's far more of guarantee than those who instantly pick junkrat or hanzo. People who pick supports at least understand what's necessary to win.

Alright, I'm done for the night. Played with a 4 stack who all picked DPS. Just so frustrating. While the opponents four stack picked 2 taanks two healers.

I just don't understand how players like this end up in platinum. This is bronze level play. That game was 5 minutes in total and I lost 40 points because of it.

I can't tell you how many times I'm left by myself as Reaper. I'm baby sitting a tank/support and then they just decide to go solo and instantly we get picked apart. It's just such bad play.

I think people's awareness of how much their team is helping them is super low in this game sometimes. People seem to think "yeah! I'm rocking this battle!" and want to charge off solo only to realize too late it was because of Zen's healing orb and the extra fire from Soldier that you were able to kill that Reaper with your hammer, and when you charge off out of line of sight from the rest of your team you're suddenly melted.

NZVh4G9.png

What website is that breakdown from? I just started playing and that looks super informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom