• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Same dude that wouldnt switch off Genji says his ult is ready. I earthshatter 4 of the enemy team. This is with our shitty fucking comp because xxReaperxx and GenjiBoi69 wont switch off when they aren't getting shit done.

Genji ults. Deosn't go after the ulted Mercy who has rez, doesn't go after the Lucio who has ult. Goes after the fucking Roadhog. Lucio ults, no one dies from my perfect earthshatter. Only seconds later, the enemy team has a Bastion on King's Row. Not once did the Reaper or Genji go around to kill the Bastion. We would have won if either of them either switched to Pharah and dealt with the Bastion or learned how to play their 'main'.

Same dude that wouldnt switch off Genji says his ult is ready. I earthshatter 4 of the enemy team. This is with our shitty fucking comp because xxReaperxx and GenjiBoi69 wont switch off when they aren't getting shit done.

Genji ults. Deosn't go after the ulted Mercy who has rez, doesn't go after the Lucio who has ult. Goes after the fucking Roadhog. Lucio ults, no one dies from my perfect earthshatter. Only seconds later, the enemy team has a Bastion on King's Row. Not once did the Reaper or Genji go around to kill the Bastion. We would have won if either of them either switched to Pharah and dealt with the Bastion or learned how to play their 'main'.

Nope, don't believe you, that would never happen...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Like I don't know what it is. I don't know if I waited too long or what but my placement matches have been fucking dogshit compared to Season 1.

PatjuhR

I share the feeling some others expressed a few posts ago. I feel like I'm stuck playing Tank or Healer aswell. Can't really complain, because last season I barely had to. But I want to discover my inner Tracer.

darklin0

Banned
Like I don't know what it is. I don't know if I waited too long or what but my placement matches have been fucking dogshit compared to Season 1.
You waited too long. Only people doing placements now are new players or really bad players.
I share the feeling some others expressed a few posts ago. I feel like I'm stuck playing Tank or Healer aswell. Can't really complain, because last season I barely had to. But I want to discover my inner Tracer.

Played Support/Tankl last season and this season. My SR was tanking no matter how well I did so lately I insta lock McCree now. My SR is going up instead of down.

PatjuhR

I might have to be a bit more aggressive on hero selection.

There is always the possibly to change after the character selection, so when nobody steps up I can still switch to tank or support. But I think I'd feel like a jackass if I did that.

darklin0

Banned
I might have to be a bit more aggressive on hero selection.

There is always the possibly to change after the character selection, so when nobody steps up I can still switch to tank or support. But I think I'd feel like a jackass if I did that.

I can play all the attack characters except Tracer. If for some reason I am getting my ass kicked no matter what I try to adapt with I will ask if anyone wants to switch to attack.

On the rare occasion I don't get attack classes I will play secondary tank or healer but if attack teammates can't kill anything I will switch to McCree. More than once has it been the factor that made us win. That extra damage and being able to finish people off is what turns the tides a lot.

I don't like how some people think they are good players when they can play most of the cast 'good'. If the 11 other players in the game are 'good' then you have to be that one player that is better than everyone to win. Otherwise you don't deserve the win. Don't blame it on the under performing player on your team, the other team has one too.

Greddleok

I don't know how you can be "stuck" playing a tank. Tanks are just bullies, it feels so good to be the dominant presence in the game while making plays and breaking plays.

PatjuhR

I don't know how you can be "stuck" playing a tank. Tanks are just bullies, it feels so good to be the dominant presence in the game while making plays and breaking plays.

Well, you are stuck if you want a good team setup and nobody else picks a tank or healer. Don't get me wrong, zenyatta is my favorite hero, and he happens to be a healer. So I don't mind playing support, but I wish I could play something different every once in a while.

Greddleok

As I said, I'm done being support. I'm bad at it and I'm a good tank and decent DPS.

Had a game this morning when I played DPS. Their Mercy didn't live for more than a few seconds each time she spawned. Just bullied the absolute shit out of her as Pharah and 76 (had to switch because their McCree noticed what I was doing and absolutely rinsed me as Pharah).

Still tanks are my favourite. I should get better with Reinhardt though. I'm too defensive as him, and my shield is always breaking.

ISOM

Sometimes you just gotta pick the hero you want and say fuck it. Why rank up if you don't enjoy playing the hero you want to? I mean of course don't forgo team comp in all your matches but sometimes even if the team only has one healer or one tanks it's ok.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's kind of funny that Zenyatta counters Pharah now to me. Because before the nerf, when I played Pharah, Zenyatta was like the easiest target out there.

'Up and over the Reinhardt and Zenyatta's dead'

Blues1990

Sombra is finally here!
please? ;-;

I had a look around, and aside from Ana's new fall yell, I don't see any new changes.

Man, I love playing support.

Probably my proudest achievement was booping 5 players off the Numbani map as Lucio, but it also feels satisfying to get 10,000-15,000 healing as either Zenyatta or Lucio. However, I still don't like playing as Mercy, as a large chunk of her survivability depends on how you coordinate with your teammates.

That, and she blows as a healer.

Kito

If you keep having to think why isn't x doing abc, you're better off switching to a different hero to get the job done yourself, even if it means your comp is no longer 222. If I was you I would switch to Mei, who is a psuedo-tank anyway, and harass Mercy and Lucio, or switch to Ana to counter Bastion since Genji is taken.

Azoor

I am thinking that the diverse cast of Overwatch is a double edged sword. Despite the variety of skills and gameplay, creating other game modes is challenging without excluding some heroes. I think any new game mode needs to be made with all the heroes in mind.

They already said they'll never include Deathmatch or Capture the Flag.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you keep having to think why isn't x doing abc, you're better off switching to a different hero to get the job done yourself, even if it means your comp is no longer 222. If I was you I would switch to Mei, who is a psuedo-tank anyway, and harass Mercy and Lucio, or switch to Ana to counter Bastion since Genji is taken.

no, my comp isnt't 222. that's the whole point. i'm the only tank. there's only one support. we're flanked by dps that can't pick anyone off.

Kito

Probably my proudest achievement was booping 5 players off the Numbani map as Lucio, but it also feels satisfying to get 10,000-15,000 healing as either Zenyatta or Lucio. However, I still don't like playing as Mercy, as a large chunk of her survivability depends on how you coordinate with your teammates.

That, and she blows as a healer.

If it's not koth I prefer Mercy. I can control the fight more with targeted healing and who I pocket. Survivability is not an issue - my k/d is 3-7 over 100 S2 solo queue games with 50% win rate. I have never asked anyone to protect me; that's my job and not anyone else's worry.

Greddleok

I have never asked anyone to protect me; that's my job and not anyone else's worry.

I feel like that's just false. Sure you have good moment abilities, and a pistol to deal with squishes, but it is absolutely everyone's job to defend the supports.

Azoor

CTF would be ruled by Tracer. Just zip to the flag and zip back.

Screw deathmatch though. Glad they never want that in this game.

Genji would also dominate CTF while Roadhog will be most likely never be chosen.

And yeah Deathmatch will never work in a game like Overwatch.

Zousi

It's sports night folks! Overwatch Open EU finals starting very soon. I have to root for my homeboys NiP in this one. Hopefully we get to see some epic matches in these couple of days.

Kito

I feel like that's just false. Sure you have good moment abilities, and a pistol to deal with squishes, but it is absolutely everyone's job to defend the supports.

Spontaneous defence like a bubble when I fly is nice, but I expect nothing and do not want or need it to be anyone's duty. In Mei's words I can take care of myself.

Crybaby healers who type in chat 'Reaper keeps killing me protect me' have no game sense and bad spacing. At best he should just be harassing you and disrupting your heal agenda.

Edit: I understand that my support philosophy is different to most others. I'm just an independent angel that don't need no man.

AngryMoth

Finally have a chance to watch some of that big tournament going on right now. Anyone know if I can watch the VODs somewhere on YouTube or do I have to use twitch?

Spontaneous defence like a bubble when I fly is nice, but I expect nothing and do not want or need it to be anyone's duty. In Mei's words I can take care of myself.

Crybaby healers who type in chat 'Reaper keeps killing me protect me' have no game sense and bad spacing. At best he should just be harassing you and disrupting your heal agenda.

You should call flankers out on voice when they appear, and your team should 100% give you assistance.

wat

If you're a healer and a flanker picks you as their target and nobody bothers to help you you will die. That's like the whole point of flanking healers.

PatjuhR

Which is worse enough. You have to protect your healers. So they can focus on what they are best for and not on surviving.

Plus; you are not easily done with flankers. Even if you manage to put them off, they are mostly fast enough to survive and will be back within 10 seconds to harass you again.

At best? At best he should be killing you, it's that simple. Your tanks should be protecting you and your DPS should be watching for flankers to protect you.

Why don't you want protection? What's wrong with your teammates helping you? Saying "I can take care of myself" doesn't work well with Mercy when you have to be healing your teammates and by the time you whip out your pistol, you're probably dead, which is why your mates should be protecting you.

Chance

wat

If you're a healer and a flanker picks you as their target and nobody bothers to help you you will die. That's like the whole point of flanking healers.

Yeah when I'm on Tracer and the enemy Mercy is alive to rez, that's more my fault than their excellence. As Mercy, if you're gettin' damage and have no one to fly off to (where Tracer can't almost-instantly follow), it's not a very favorable 1v1.

I like the part where every match I play as Zarya and I put a shield on a teammate, it's the only time when they decide to actually move away from the bullets. Like seriously, if I had no cooldown on her projected barrier, our whole team wouldn't take any damage because they'd try their damnedest to avoid every bullet that comes their way.

Yeah when I'm on Tracer and the enemy Mercy is alive to rez, that's more my fault than their excellence. As Mercy, if you're gettin' damage and have no one to fly off to (where Tracer can't almost-instantly follow), it's not a very favorable 1v1.
Yup, as tracer i always go STRAIGHT for the healers. You can easily down Ana in one clip if you catch her unaware, mercy too unless she has a long distance target to fly to. I always feel bad killing mercy but eh. It's a strategy.

LiK

I like the part where every match I play as Zarya and I put a shield on a teammate, it's the only time when they decide to actually move away from the bullets. Like seriously, if I had no cooldown on her projected barrier, our whole team wouldn't take any damage because they'd try their damnedest to avoid every bullet that comes their way.

"Get in there!"

Anyone else feel like they started way to soon with the Sombra ARG? They build up this huge hype to then deflate it by not releasing anything for weeks.

Greddleok

Edit: I understand that my support philosophy is different to most others. I'm just an independent angel that don't need no man.

Completely disagree.

Flankers like Tracer, Genji, Reaper and Pharah should be killing you. You escaping is not your amazing play, it's their terrible attempt at playing flanker DPS.

You mention spacing...how exactly can you space yourself to not be killed without your team mates helping you? "Good" spacing, means that I'm close to someone, or multiple players who can support me. Not that I always keep a wall between me and a flanker.

Blues1990

Anyone else feel like they started way to soon with the Sombra ARG? They build up this huge hype to then deflate it by not releasing anything for weeks.

I feel so. Most people now want Blizzard to get her out of the way, as all that work into deciphering her codes and clues resulted in a big, fat, NOTHING in the end.

On a similar note, I always get frustrated when I sacrifice myself to take out their Zen/Mercy/Lucio and think to myself "okay, I died but their healers are dead - my team should be able to push now" only to get back to see my team has made no progress because my team was fucking around doing something like chasing a single Tracer around the map instead of pushing the payload.

Blizzard killed any hype they generated with the ARG. They shouldn't have done anything until they were close to releasing the new character.

Chance

Completely disagree.

Flankers like Tracer, Genji, Reaper and Pharah should be killing you. You escaping is not your amazing play, it's their terrible attempt at playing flanker DPS.

You mention spacing...how exactly can you space yourself to not be killed without your team mates helping you? "Good" spacing, means that I'm close to someone, or multiple players who can support me. Not that I always keep a wall between me and a flanker.

Well... On Mercy I try to keep the max 15 yards between me and whoever I'm healing if I'm in danger. I can fly a decent distance to them to escape an attack, and then keep rubberbanding away and into my line - hopefully while they deal with the Winston up my ass. The attacker rushes me, but by the time they arrive I'm landing behind my team and stretching away again. It can work pretty good!

Greddleok

Of course, that's the aim, although it's funny you mention Winston, because he probably has the slowest kill time of any of the flankers. If he jumps in I never really have a problem escaping, unless my intended angel target dies or suddenly turns a corner.

Tracer unloading a clip into your head usually results in 80% of your health gone, followed up with a teleport and another clip then a rewind to escape.
Pharah can easily separate you from your group, or just splash damage you to death if the tank you went to didn't notice you were being pounded yet.
Genji is similar to Tracer, and Reaper is the easiest to escape from, but if you don't fly far enough away he can easily kill you mid air.

They all do around 220 damage in 2 seconds if they get headshots or direct hits, except for Tracer who needs to reload. Of course not everyone is getting all headshots, but often they have longer than 2 seconds to deal with you.

Edit: this isn't to say it's impossible. It's to say that if the DPS are good at their job, you will need help from your team mates.

Paltheos

I suspect some people just don't *know*. You've seen players who put like 80% of their play time on one character and have barely touched anyone else. I think some of these guys don't know how the other characters work. Maybe they think the shield is *just* for their own protection and aren't aware that it feeds back to Zarya. That would definitely explain too why I fight so many fed Zaryas~

Rize_21

Mercy is too fragile to take care of herself, the only time she does is when she lies on the floor in a ragdoll state, I once unloaded an almost entire clip in Mercy's skull with Tracer, felt great and bad at the same time, great because it took less than 2 seconds to down her and bad because Mercy used to be my main.
Iirc the health regen starts after 3 seconds, which is more than enough for any 'good' flankers to get rid of her, if the team doesn't care for their support, just switch to Zenyatta or whoever is needed, Mercy is purely useless in this case, it just doesn't matter how you use GA/at max distance with each beam etc.

It's because as soon as Zarya bubbles me, I think, "Oh shit, am I about to get wrekt and don't see it?!" instead of just thinking she's getting charge from me taking acceptable amounts of damage.
Mics help this a lot, knowing whether your Zarya is a mommy-bubbler or charge-bubbler, or- if she knows what she's doing- when she is doing which.

IMO, as someone who played a TON of support in S1, a good mercy can stall her death by flying around, etc.

But I always tell people "Kill the Mercy so she can't Revive." and I always make her a priority target, so yeah if you're a support you should hope that your team gives you some way to fall back or a way to protect you, because otherwise you're going to be focused by me.

Same with Symmetra, too risky to let her charge ult.

It's because as soon as Zarya bubbles me, I think, "Oh shit, am I about to get wrekt and don't see it?!" instead of just thinking she's getting charge from me taking acceptable amounts of damage.
Mics help this a lot, knowing whether your Zarya is a mommy-bubbler or charge-bubbler, or- if she knows what she's doing- when she is doing which.

A good Zarya can and should use the mic, but it's not super difficult to tell why you got bubbled.

For example, did Rein charge? Bubble.

Is someone getting flanked? Bubble.

Was Mei ult used? Bubble the DPS, then myself.

Was D.Va ult used? Bubble whoever can't make it out of LoS, then Myself and walk towards it.

Are we all together, and I notice someone's health is low? Bubble.

Is someone throwing out Rein or Junkrat projectiles? Bubble.

Also, enabling team healthbars for every character you can in character control options is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom