• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

NeoRaider

Do people really think that widow is actually useful or will ever be meta? I go back to saying that character's whole design is flawed for a team based game based around control points. Like she seems so out of placed and only there as the token sniper

I think that good, i repeat good Widow (very rare) can be extremely useful on almost every map.
I am not sure about meta, but in this game overall i think that there is a place for Widow just like there is for Hanzo or McCree.

Her whole design is not flawed. She is a sniper, and her "job" is to snipe, and headshot enemy team. That's why you have the rest of the team to be on the point.

Also my McCree is devastatingly bad

I am becoming better with him. Don't use him that much but when i do, i am really not bad like i used to be. Just give it some time, and practice. You will become better eventually. He can be very effective and very good tank buster.

DevilDog

Do people really think that widow is actually useful or will ever be meta? I go back to saying that character's whole design is flawed for a team based game based around control points. Like she seems so out of placed and only there as the token sniper

To be honest, I don't see it ever happening unless they rework widow. It's not that she can't be, it's that Blizzard won't let her.

The problem is her one shot potential. It shouldn't exist. Good players in FPS games use their movement to avoid enemy fire and that goes for overwatch.

If Widow is, lets say, on your left, and you know it, you might want to avoid ADAD because in her scope, you're basically a stationary target. Instead, you start going backwards, forwards to shake her aim, while at the same time keeping your mind on 5 other enemy players.

And it's not like csgo where snipers are relatively predictable and probably dead if they miss their shots.
Her movement is also crazy, when someone trickshots you, there isn't much you can do and when you jump on her she will just grapple away from you, giving her team enough time to support her.

Mcree/soldier and other hitscan heroes are more fun to play around because they have to land a number of shots, leaving you more room for ourplays.

Well if you click on their profiles and look at their ranks, they are mostly silver/bronze. Amazing how people with such a poor understanding of the game become the vocal majority on the blizz forums. I'm just glad the balancing team pays absolutely no attention to them and pays more attention to whats going on at pro/GM level instead.

I don't agree with this, a good balanced game will balance for all skill levels.

Annoys me when fighting games balance for tournament play, some characters are only balanced if you're amazing at the game, for everyone else they're a wasted slot and the roster is effectively smaller.

LiK

I've been doing too well as Hanzo in QP lately. I was destroying the other team and they ended up just hunting me down later. I was laughing so hard when a Rein player went all the way behind us by himself just to kill me. xD

Balance wise she's basically Potemkin from Guilty Gear. Unless she gets a major overhaul, any significant change will move her from not really viable to one of the best picks in the game, and vice versa.

I still think they should revert her damage on console to how it was before the nerf, just due to the fact headshots are harder to get on a controller.

I also think her hook should get a secondary use of some sort. Even if it's just the ability to attach it to a ceiling and hang from it, or allowing her to temporarily hold her opponents in place for a second if she finds herself in the middle of a fire fight, just so she can provide a bit of use for her team outside of sniping and using her ult. She's a very 'selfish' character currently; everything she does is primarily at the benefit of herself.

DevilDog

For those stuck in 'elo hell', lots of good players in the gaf discord. Come learn a thing or two.

carry me to gold

it's time to make it happen

I don't agree with this, a good balanced game will balance for all skill levels.

Annoys me when fighting games balance for tournament play, some characters are only balanced if you're amazing at the game, for everyone else they're a wasted slot and the roster is effectively smaller.
Yeah that would be ideal. But lets be real, its never going to happen. I'm fine with all skill levels having their own characters. Some heroes that are great for bronze players are useless in GM.

Veelk

Banned
I'm trying to practice McCree in QP. Learning 3 things

1. I am easily the worst player with this hero ever. Ever.

2. Anyone who can actually aim with this guy is going to wreck teams.

3. Fuck soldier (though I already knew that, so it's questionable whether it actually counts as learning)

I'm trying to practice McCree in QP. Learning 2 things

3. Fuck soldier (though I already knew that, so it's questionable whether it actually counts as learning)

Strafe into shots instead of just aiming shots.

Im not amazing at him but I have my head wrapped around him currently. I have his sensitivity low in comparison to my other characters.

caesar

Banned

Pop dem heads and use pocket sand often.

LiK

I've been getting much better with him. Fun thing about learning McCree is that if you aim well with him, aiming with Soldier becomes even better.

Anne

Widow is currently good and has place "in the meta."

When it comes to balancing for skill, there's always going to be a mix of making it so new players aren't frustrated with the learning curve and wiggle room for people who wanna push the game to expand on some characters. You generally don't wanna listen to your scrubs for your hard balance tweaks, but you do wanna figure out a way to make them less frustrated as they go through the "git gud" process.

pizzacat

Banned
Don't ever listen to people who classify themselves as casual players to the game because with or without their balance in mind they would not play any more or less

Usually the professionals playing in tournaments are the ones playing the game the most, they know how the game works in ways that devs can't really see themselves

Some of ows players opinions are so bad blizz went ahead an ignored all their complaints in the ptr and let 2 dumb changes go to live servers just for it to blow in their faces.

Lol if dva or widow were buffed

or pharah aka the worst character in the game was nerfed lmao

Veelk

Banned
I've been getting much better with him. Fun thing about learning McCree is that if you aim well with him, aiming with Soldier becomes even better.

Is McCree feels this dirty on those odd moments where your aim is on point, then Soldier must feel diseased as a leper.

LiK

Is McCree feels this dirty on those odd moments where your aim is on point, then Soldier must feel diseased as a leper.

Hell yea, your accuracy goes way up. Really fun.

I've been rotating heroes more often in QP to really learn them and getting good with one hero is making me better with some others. It's pretty interesting.

I'm having extraordinarily bad luck with skins this time. Got Torb's Uprising skin and Reinhart's Uprising skin twice. Literally the two characters I don't care about and never use. I actually want all the other Uprising skin.
For the record, I've opened about 30 boxes.

I blame god. And Obama.

NeoRaider

I am missing Tracer, McCree, Genji and Orisa. Also got D.Va highlight intro yesterday so not that bad.
But i probably opened more than or around 40 boxes.

exYle

But seriously, just try to find the best sensitivity/crosshair for you first of all, I spend a lot of time with genji on practice range destroying bots and games against AI at medium difficulty 5vs6 (my team Ana/Zen/Zarya/Sombra vs Ana/Zen/Lucio/Zarya/Reaper/S76) on lijiang tower, you can create the game in the arcade. Choose skirmish as the game mode so it lasts 30m without interruptions.

I was spending time yesterday practicing my aim against hard Ana bots (while invincible) last night, but I suppose it's not a bad idea to practice being vulnerable as well haha

Listen to the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack while playing. Works every time.

RULES OF NATURE

Cappa

Banned
Well if you click on their profiles and look at their ranks, they are mostly silver/bronze. Amazing how people with such a poor understanding of the game become the vocal majority on the blizz forums. I'm just glad the balancing team pays absolutely no attention to them and pays more attention to whats going on at pro/GM level instead.
I get what you're saying but it does comes off as being a bit elitist... especially considering according to the stats Blizzard posted a few weeks ago... the minority of the player base is diamond or above.

I get what you're saying but it does comes off as being a bit elitist... especially considering according to the stats Blizzard posted a few weeks ago... the minority of the player base is diamond or above.

Still, it doesn't mean "balancing" the game in favor of the majority who don't necessarily play the game properly. Why break something balanced just because people don't know how to use it?

Cappa

Banned
Still, it doesn't mean "balancing" the game in favor of the majority who don't necessarily play the game properly. Why break something balanced just because people don't know how to use it?
I agree and I get what he was trying to imply but just because some of us are not grand masters doesn't mean we don't have an understanding of game balance.

Hi, I've finally been approved by a mod.
Been lurking this thread forever,
Wanna join the GAF OW family.

OmniStrife#1267
I'm currently at 2200 PC

MAINS
Pharah
Winston
Zen
Soldier

PRETTY GOOD
Lúcio
D.Va
Mercy
Torb (certain maps)
Ana
Bastion (certain maps)
Zarya

NOPE
Everything else

Don't hesitate to add me. I'm in the same range. BaronLundi#2670

JHall

I understand her gameplan. I just don't like that there are so many lopsided match ups in the game. A character can be advantageous without completely destroying them.

Name one other "lopsided" match up in this game. Because as of right now, the game is the most balanced it's been in a long time.

Oh. I get gold damage quite often as DVA in my comp games, but I suppose that's low gold league stuff then?

Has nothing to do with rank. DVA can cause a lot of damage if played correctly. Damage is a strange medal anyway. A player can be shooting a Rein shield the entire game and say "But I have gold damage!" When in reality that player didn't do anything to help the team.

komaruR

2. if you start wrecking team and they are smart enough, they can counter mccree easily. winston or dva will give you a headache or even if two flank type heros coming at you the same time.
3. man pre-soldier buff, i can take on soldier close to mid range without a problem but now, if they are outside of your flashbang distance its tougher to kill. And if they outside your good dmg range, just forget it :(
Strafe into shots instead of just aiming shots.

Im not amazing at him but I have my head wrapped around him currently. I have his sensitivity low in comparison to my other characters.
Yup. for starters, play him at low sensitivity. i've seen ps4 gm that play him at 10/10 so dont be obligated to play him higher just because some people does. everyone is different.
Yea, mccree is great to warm up your aim.

Apathy

Last week for loot boxes, get them before you start complaining you didn't get what you want and you can't buy it afterwards.

How does experience work for healers? I never get as much experience using Ana or Mercy compared to someone more offense based like Soldier 76 or Tracer. And I'm pretty good with Ana, so it's not me just sucking with her.

Is that just how it is? That's why I tend to not be a healer.

FD675DEA2C1E6D98B69C0F7E8F540AD5BC3A5E6A

Buff D.Va LMAO.

KdotIX

Joined the Gaf OW Discord channel earlier, so might as well rear my end in here too.

Up for some comp/quick play. Im around 1200 - so if anyone wants to team up let me know on the OW Discord.

Last week for loot boxes, get them before you start complaining you didn't get what you want and you can't buy it afterwards.

Ugh. I haven't been able to play in like a week and all I've gotten this event is white/white/blue/white. FeelsLifeMan / FeelsBadMan

Things I'll buy with coins:
-D.Va's selfie
-maybe Tracer's blue thing?
-maybe Blackwatch McCree but truly only for the gun because the rest of the skin is kinda meh and is a glorified recolor but not as bad as Orisa's straight up recolor

Am I missing some must haves? For the record, I'm blech at Mercy and Rein so those are out.

So I managed to at least get back to 2000 after falling 600 points from 2300 to 1700. Yeah, I think I'll stop right here, that's it for me this season. lol Sup quick play?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm only missing Tracer and Widow but I dont like either of those characters so whatever

only skin i could see using past the event is rein and torbs

I like it too. The only negative is that the OR-numbered skins don't have expressive eyes.

which is like the best part of her skins, I love her Protector one the most, Camo is what I'm using now though

really not a fan of most of the skins in the event tbh, only ones I really want are Blackwatch Genji, Combat Medic Mercy and fanservice Widow

Top Bottom