• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pabst Blue Ribbon-swilling hipsters to blame for cheap beer price hikes in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

0007825000382_500X500.jpg

If you want a cheap beer that hipsters won't ruin.

YES. I drink that all the time. Sometimes the 24oz cans. 3 for $6. Such good rotgut.

tearsofash

I used to be all about PBR when it was one of the cheaper options and I didn't feel like spending money to get a craft beer. I still usually drink PBR or Black Crown at a bar. Natural Light or Genessee at home for personal consumption. 99¢ per pint for Genessee.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
They don't call it the beast. Milwaukees Best is the Beast.

Milkwaukees Best is the only beer to ever give me an instant hangover from drinking a single can. Just skipped right over drunk and went right to hung the fuck over

edit: scratch that, I lied, Natty Ice did as well.

I was gonna multi quote all the people who can't handle the keystone light temperature indicator and the train but I decided to let you go out of my mercy.

Also Yuengling is for winners even though I've only had it once at Bonnaroo.

My bar started running $2 PBR Mondays, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Couldn't even drink half of it before I gave it to my friend. Life is too short to waste it drinking horrible beer, especially here in Wisconsin.

PBR isn't awful, you can do much worse for the money. (Natty, Steel Reserve)

Yuengling Black and Tan and Killian's Irish Stout are usually what I stick too.

PBR is for people who drink to get wasted.

I drink beer because it is refreshing and delicious. PBR is neither of those.

I object! PBR on draft was strangely drinkable. I'd not buy the stuff for my own fridge, but sometimes it does hit the spot. The environment very much influences my enjoyment of certain things, though, so maybe the deliciousness of PBR is reliant on the atmosphere of seedy bars playing '70s music?

Only time I had Pabst was when I was wasting time waiting for someone and I didn't have a lot of money. I had 4 beers. Tasted like crap, but it had the intended effect.

Hmmmm... I can get a 16oz can of malt liquor in NY for $1. It shouldn't be hard to find decent cheap beer.

There is also a bar nearby my work who have draft beer for $5 and you get a free pizza. Good stuff.

At FSU, the shit beer, and nearly every keg at every party, was always Natty Light. Then at bars, it was either Natty Light or PBR for the $5 all you can drink nights. PBR is the nectar of the gods compared to Natty Light.

And Yuengling sucks.
Natty was around for awhile. Then everyone discovered pallets of 24oz Keystone Light for like $15 for a total of I think 24.

GatorBait

I don't think you understand what a $5 pbr night is.

It was per can. I kid you not. Well, I may be exaggerating slightly because now that I think of it, it was more like $4/can. I distinctly remember my confusion because it was on the "Specials" board, but priced more than Bud/Miller Light, when a year prior it was seen on the same level as Natty Light.

This was all around 8 years ago though.

I can't believe people actually will debate another human being over which shit beer they prefer over another.

Shit is shit, and different brands of shit still taste like shit.

PBR is shit, Coors is shit, Schlitz is shit, that's the point I guess. It's not meant to be argued or debated, just drink it because it's cheap and gets you drunk.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It was per can. I kid you not. Well, I may be exaggerating slightly because now that I think of it, it was more like $4/can. I distinctly remember my confusion because it was on the "Specials" board, but priced more than Bud/Miller Light, when a year prior it was seen on the same level as Natty Light.

This was all around 8 years ago though.

I'm assuming Gainesville? No wonder UF kids always seemed to have more fun when they visited Tallahassee. We had hotter ladies and cheaper beer.

Ultima_5

There was a super artsy theater in my college town a few years ago right when this hipster/pbr thing was starting to heat up. I'd go there sometimes and drink a bit here and there with some of my roommates and he used to always get a pitcher of pbr because it was dirt cheap.

That week we noticed the strange trend of this pbr thing and that weekend when we went to the ragtag (the theater) had a pitcher of pbr almost twice as expensive as a pitcher of blue moon. My roommate was so sad.

TL;DR I saw this happen years ago. Why did it take so long for NYC to catch up?

Hipster Mecca of the Midwest

Seanspeed

Banned
I can't believe people actually will debate another human being over which shit beer they prefer over another.

Shit is shit, and different brands of shit still taste like shit.

PBR is shit, Coors is shit, Schlitz is shit, that's the point I guess. It's not meant to be argued or debated, just drink it because it's cheap and gets you drunk.
We're just not all beer snobs. Plenty of people love to take some steam off with a decent/acceptable cheaper beer. Time and place, ya know?

Antagon

PBR is for people who drink to get wasted.

I drink beer because it is refreshing and delicious. PBR is neither of those.

Which is stupid, really.

Why not get wasted drinking something delicious:

duvel.jpg

Yeah, it's expensive, but down 3 bottles or so and see if you can walk straight.

DarkFlow

Banned
When I was in the army, PBR was the go to beer mainly because we could shit loads of it on the cheap. I know we could kegs of it for a insanely low price on base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom