• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pabst Blue Ribbon-swilling hipsters to blame for cheap beer price hikes in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUROK

It's easy to tell who the beer enthusiasts and the alcoholics are in this thread.

25007.jpg

This is my poison. Same shit as Steel Reserve, just 10 cents cheaper. 2 cans of this and I'm golden.

I like PBR as a cheap beer, but the hipsters can keep it.

Enron

Banned
At FSU, the shit beer, and nearly every keg at every party, was always Natty Light. Then at bars, it was either Natty Light or PBR for the $5 all you can drink nights. PBR is the nectar of the gods compared to Natty Light.

In the very late 90's/early 00's at UGA, it was always Icehouse/Natty Lite/Southpaw, The Awfulkeg Trio of Doom.

And Yuengling sucks.

No sir. NO. SIR.

haha yea
in belgium for 2 bucks you reach "upper tier" category
in the US its 2 for "value(shit)" beer?

thats insane

There is a lower tier in the US - the 40 Oz Malt - like Olde English, St. Ides, King Cobra, Colt 45 and the like.
The 2 dollar shit beer is actually a luxury.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not Being am American, this PBR thing escapes me, it is just a redneck beaer that hipsters Drink Ironically, or is it a good beer at a cheap price, is it like SuperSkol or Special brew where the aim is to drink it do get shit faced?

Not Being am American, this PBR thing escapes me, it is just a redneck beaer that hipsters Drink Ironically, or is it a good beer at a cheap price, is it like SuperSkol or Special brew where the aim is to drink it do get shit faced?

PBR is shitty beer for cheap - but it has more of a "working class-blue collar" connotation than redneck beer. It has always been popular with college kids as a sign of frugal partying.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
If you're going to drink inexpensively, please do it the right way...

200px-Stroh_can.jpg

with fire-brewed Stroh's!

Mal'ice

Neo Member
I still think people from the US have it good for beer price. Here the lowest anyone can sell a 24 pack by law is 21$ (CND), whatever the brand is. 12 pack of pabst is 12.59$. Anyone selling lower is gonna get a fine.

jasonng

Pabst tall boys are the best when in the right setting (dive bar w/ pool tables). This one tiki-themed place I went to ages ago even had it on tap. I confess enjoyed it.

My respect for you has decreased ten folds.

I acquired the taste for PBR because of college but I will never touch that shit again. I have no reason to, in any setting. Not even in a bar, not even from afar. I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox. I do not like them in my house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere.

Yeah PBR tastes like feet. I remember the first time I had one and wondered why you would make such a shit tasting beer instead of water mixed with alcohol type of cheap beer like natty.

Anybody here try beer 30? It comes in a purple can and is cheap as hell. A 30 pack for like 15 dollars. Its... It's not all that good though.

PBR...
tmb_97_480.jpg

Those looking for cheap beer that doesn't completely taste like piss, I recommend checking the store for Lionshead. Cheap beer that tastes alright. Also, there are riddles you have to solve underneath the bottle-cap. Hilarious what people think it is after opening their 8th bottle.

Old English 800 is the only beer we drink.
You can take them other beers and pour 'em down the sink.
I'm just tryin' to tell you what most people 'round here think
Cuz Old English 800 is the only beer we drink.

All of you guys are crazy. There's nothing wrong with a case of PBR when you are trying to stay cheap. I actually like the stuff, and not ironically or only compared to other cheap beers.

120v

"cheap beers" around here are PBR, keystone, natty light, busch, and lone star. (not to mention malt liquors, steel reserve et al)

i'd say PBR is the best available choice. lone star second because its almost indistinguishable from budweiser. all of them taste alright if you drink them cold enough. i notice one thing about 'budget' beers is they vary in freshness... i've had cans of natty light that went down like water and others that go down like dog piss

but all in all PBR is pretty much my go-to around here. but here its still pretty cheap, like $5-6 for a 6 pack

Fusebox

Banned
Your lucky to get a coke for that price in Australia.

Damn straight. I wish we had some really cheap ass beers down here. A case of Bavarian for $20 is about the cheapest I usually see.

I actually like cheap Aussie beers like Carlton and VB on a hot day, especially compared to watery American Millers, Coors etc. but our cheap is still nowhere near as cheap as their cheap and especially not if you're buying it at the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom