• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

are people posting scores in here?

My PSN is MikeE21286

I'd love to have some people to have on my leaderboards to compete against

Beezy

Goddamn, this game owns. I feel sorry for any site trying to choose the best XBLA title this year. Way too many games to choose from.

Skilletor

Aw fuck. I bought it without thinking. I would never even guess that a fucking PAC-MAN game would run different on the ps3.

Ridiculous :(

You can assign the buttons as the direction controller on the Xbox, too. Haven't tried it, could be ok...

But yeah, this game is crack. First hit yr like, yeah. Nice. Second hit yr like, yeah... real nice..

Third hit you're not getting any sleep and sucking some lawyers dick to pay the rent.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn, yall can tell just by looking at the game that it's 30 FPS? I played the XBLA demo and bought the PSN tonight, I cannot tell a difference. Maybe I should load both of them up and switch Inputs to see if there's really a noticeable difference.

... I think the game runs fine and I have no problem with the controls. If anything the PS3 D-Pad is way better to control with than the 360 analog I think. Haven't had a chance to try out my TE stick. I wonder how in the world some of you guys get so set off over 720p/60FPS...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bebpo said:
tbh, the game is still fun at 30fps.

Seriously. If I didn't know the game ran at 60 on 360 I wouldn't have cared. It really sucks and I hope there's a way for them to update the game and I'm torn over supporting this kind of laziness, but I don't regret the purchase at all. The game is just too goddamned good.

fernoca

thechristoph said:
I would buy a specialized four-way joystick for this game.
bisen4.jpg

Adam J.

Hey guys, in the main menu when you select Namco Generations it shows pics of Galaga, Pac Man, and a weird looking third game which I cant tell what it is. Think it is Aero Cross? Doesn't look anything like Metro Cross, but who knows...

fernoca

Adam J. said:
Hey guys, in the main menu when you select Namco Generations it shows pics of Galaga, Pac Man, and a weird looking third game which I cant tell what it is. Think is is Aero Cross? Doesn't look anything like Metro Cross, but who knows...
Namco announced Aero-Cross as part of the Namco Generations, along with Galaga Legions DX. Probably a remake of it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uhm, I downloaded the trial and the framerate looks the same as the X360 version...*scratch*

BTW, this game is PLAYABLE with the Logitech Force GT Wheel :lol

Just tried it, steering makes Pac-Man go left or right, brakes and gas goes down and up. So...hilarious. Superior version confirmed.

Really digging into the time trials now. It's genius to combine Pac-Man and pure time trial gameplay (no score whatsoever - just seconds). Loving the Half board. Truly like a puzzle game trying to find the best routes.

Wehrwolf

Having the demo on PSN = +1 sale.

Played the demo, and have absolutely no complaints about the control or framerate. From the demo even, I'm liking it even more than the 'original' championship edition. Just bought the full game ^^.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yep, definitely need a 4-way here. Now I have a reason to alter the gate orientation on one of my many sticks! :D

Nert

This game is incredible! I've hit a bit of a personal wall at roughly 1.5 million points in the 5 minute score attack on Championship II; I'm probably going to obsessively watch some replays tomorrow and see where I can save a few seconds in my routes.

No45

Ugh, inexplicable 30 FPS. :(

I want it, but I don't want Namco to have my monies because of that. I think I'll skip it for now - Dead Nation next week anyway!

Nert said:
This game is incredible! I've hit a bit of a personal wall at roughly 1.5 million points in the 5 minute score attack on Championship II; I'm probably going to obsessively watch some replays tomorrow and see where I can save a few seconds in my routes.

I should check some replays on that maze. I can't break a million on it to save my life, but I hit around a million on the other mazes I've tried.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I got every achievement except for the "clear all stages" ones after like, an hour. That was easy.

Also it froze. :<

Shearie

God I can't stop playing this game!

I have a question about Ghost Combo mode. When you die or use a bomb in that mode, when the ghosts come back out from the middle, are there less of them coming out than what initially went in? It seems like I spent almost the whole ten minutes of that mode earlier never eating a single one of the ghosts following me but bombing and letting myself die a lot, since you get unlimited lives, and when I cashed in with a power pellet near the end and ate them all up, the ghost count wasn't that high a number.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Shearie said:
God I can't stop playing this game!

I have a question about Ghost Combo mode. When you die or use a bomb in that mode, when the ghosts come back out from the middle, are there less of them coming out than what initially went in? It seems like I spent almost the whole ten minutes of that mode earlier never eating a single one of the ghosts following me but bombing and letting myself die a lot, since you get unlimited lives, and when I cashed in with a power pellet near the end and ate them all up, the ghost count wasn't that high a number.

There's a limit to how high the ghost chain can get (30-40 i think). You can tell when you've hit the limit when sleeping ghosts disappear instead of joining the chain.

RC

Banned
Just bought it, and my thumbs are already sore. When the game hits speed 30 and above, I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. So awesome.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Highest combo of eating ghosts is 74...I could have gotten more, but the time limit ran out! I knew I could have gotten more! Damn you, time! DAMN YOU!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
For about two minutes i was ranked #2 on Championship II :lol
The gameplay is so friggin' tight. GOTY contender.

Brashnir

Wario64 said:
Uhm, I downloaded the trial and the framerate looks the same as the X360 version...*scratch*

Generally speaking, I'd trust dark10x's framerate call - he's one of the few posters around here who I'd expect to be able to spot a 30fps game right away - but somehow it just doesn't seem possible with this game.

Maybe they initially uploaded a bugged demo to begin with and later corrected it by the time you downloaded it. I haven't heard any complaints about the framerate from people who bought the full version.

Can anyone with a frame analyzer confirm the game's framerate? It just seems unfathomable that this game would run at 30fps from a technological standpoint, plus with the speeds Pac-Man gets moving when you do well, it would seem like something that would severely impact gameplay.

luka said:
There's a limit to how high the ghost chain can get (30-40 i think). You can tell when you've hit the limit when sleeping ghosts disappear instead of joining the chain.

that may be, but i think using a bomb or dying cuts the number of ghosts following you significantly as well.

generally i try to use bombs to buy time for me to get back into the pattern after i screw that up. usually you can save yourself without using a bomb when you go into bullet time, as the rogue ghosts almost always turn away from you at the last moment if you give them the chance. you're screwed if they get you in a corner though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Brashnir said:
Generally speaking, I'd trust dark10x's framerate call - he's one of the few posters around here who I'd expect to be able to spot a 30fps game right away - but somehow it just doesn't seem possible with this game.

Maybe they initially uploaded a bugged demo to begin with and later corrected it by the time you downloaded it. I haven't heard any complaints about the framerate from people who bought the full version.

Can anyone with a frame analyzer confirm the game's framerate? It just seems unfathomable that this game would run at 30fps from a technological standpoint, plus with the speeds Pac-Man gets moving when you do well, it would seem like something that would severely impact gameplay.
Perhaps it was a bug, but I can tell you 100% that it was 30 fps. There is not an ounce of doubt in my mind on this issue.

The easiest place to notice it, if you're not used to looking at these things, is in the menu where you flip through the different modes. The large, rectangular banners on the left move quite a bit. If you compare the two, the difference should be obvious. This extends to gameplay as well.

That said, the game this game works actually minimizes the effect of 30 fps. It still looks reasonably smooth in motion, but it's definitely not as smooth as the 360 version.

Brashnir said:

im no expert, but i was really turned off by the videos i saw of the game posted online (of the 360 version), since most sites dont upload videos at 60 FPS. it created weird missing frames in pacman's animation when he started moving at high speeds. this problem was fixed when i bought the game (on PS3) and viewed it on my TV, as i expected.

not sure if that kind of animation problem would be caused if the game was reduced to 30 FPS via software rather than via video encoding, but it's just something i noticed. the game looks and plays fine on psn, and as long as pacman's frames of animation are all intact, i dont think this is necessarily a game where 60 FPS is gonna make a noteworthy difference.

Kolgar

I held off on the 360 version because of PS3-owning friends and the D-pad. The reviews never mentioned a 30fps deficit compared to the 360 version, so I plunked down for it last night.

Then I come in here and read this.

What's going on? Why can't PS3 run Pac-Man at 60fps in 2010?

Psy-Phi

luka said:
Sleeping ghosts disappear when you eat all the pellets and fruit to make the other area spawn (if there are still ghosts in that area, they go bye bye). At least that's what I've noticed.

Also, I'm getting 0 FPS at times :(. Never had a game lock up on me on the PS3 until now. It did it twice last night. Both times within 30 seconds on a maze (different mazes).

Am I alone with that experience? Is my PS3 getting ready to go belly up? Or is this something others have experienced?

Kolgar

Psy-Phi said:
Sleeping ghosts disappear when you eat all the pellets and fruit to make the other area spawn (if there are still ghosts in that area, they go bye bye). At least that's what I've noticed.

Also, I'm getting 0 FPS at times :(. Never had a game lock up on me on the PS3 until now. It did it twice last night. Both times within 30 seconds on a maze (different mazes).

Am I alone with that experience? Is my PS3 getting ready to go belly up? Or is this something others have experienced?

In my hunger for information about the 30fps deal, I visited GameFAQs out of desperation and learned that several people have experienced freezes with the PS3 version.

So, half the frame rate AND freezes? Good job, Namco!

P.S. I really don't like the way the game plays with the PS3 pad. Makes me wish I'd gone 360 after all.

Skilletor

I played a few games last night. It played fine to me (ps3). Really, really fun.

Is this coming to a handheld? It would be perfect for psp.

Billmaan

Neo Member
autobzooty said:
that may be, but i think using a bomb or dying cuts the number of ghosts following you significantly as well.
The limit is 30 ghosts, but I'm pretty sure you don't lose any when you bomb or die.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Green Scar said:
Just bought this on PSN UK, but I've just got a 6kb download for nothing. Help?

Download the demo and your 6kb file unlocks the full game.

I'm kinda conflicted about the framerate issue.

1. Most people can't even tell (I certainly can't). The game still plays amazingly regardless. After all, it is Pac-Man - not Resistance or Killzone.

2. Yet, it's still pure laziness on Scamco's part. I mean really, WTF. Hopefully there'll be a patch.

Top Bottom