• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... So what the hell happened to the PSP version of this? Didn't they show it running on E3 or some other show this year?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Adam Prime said:
... So what the hell happened to the PSP version of this? Didn't they show it running on E3 or some other show this year?
It was seen at GameCom (or whatever the full name is) back is the fall. People posted pictures of it running on PSPs there. It was Pac-man CE, not DX.

Still waiting patiently... :|

jett

D-Member
Played the demo PS3 demo, that was pretty effing awesome! It doesn't feel like 30fps, I don't know what this crap is all about.

Mindlog

Managed to crack 100 on my CH II ghost train. I'm currently at 114, but I get it now.

I'd still like to see the replay of the person that managed 440+

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX - PS3 / X360 - Master at work
Impressive 1:24 run by Tadashi Iguchi on Highway time Trial. Could you be faster ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0qngXmMPX8&feature=related

Yes I could.

I wonder how they decided which leaderboard replays to store and which to hide.

Roto13

There's a free play mode, right? It keeps saying I unlock it every time I do a 5 minute score attack for the first time. :p How do I play it? I don't see it on the list.

Brashnir

Roto13 said:
There's a free play mode, right? It keeps saying I unlock it every time I do a 5 minute score attack for the first time. :p How do I play it? I don't see it on the list.

When you're at the course select screen, Free play is the last one on the right. the icon is a key.

Maybe a silly question as I own the game but is there a classic mode where you get 3-5 lives clear a map and move on to the next. Sorry, there are so many modes I'm a bit overwhelmed.:lol

duckroll

This game is really, really good. I'm going to take a hot shower soon and then try to score even more points. Had a blast yesterday.

Brashnir

CitizenCope said:
Maybe a silly question as I own the game but is there a classic mode where you get 3-5 lives clear a map and move on to the next. Sorry, there are so many modes I'm a bit overwhelmed.:lol

Nope. That's not what this game is about at all.

sogood.gif

I'm currently 33rd in the world on Highway as of 11am GMT (PSN: RitzkriegRap). The game's concept alone is infinitely better than OG Pac-Man.

1000Hurts

Neo Member

(taken last night) Last I checked a couple hours ago, I'm still at the top total score wise.

I feel like a lone samurai with noone to challenge... Since none of my friends are playing this, I'm calling out to the GAF community to give me something to fight for.

PSN: JnYChKs

RyanDG

1000Hurts said:

(taken last night) Last I checked a couple hours ago, I'm still at the top total score wise.

I feel like a lone samurai with noone to challenge... Since none of my friends are playing this, I'm calling out to the GAF community to give me something to fight for.

PSN: JnYChKs

Give me a little bit of time to play around with it - I'll be up there soon. I think I'm at 16 right now for the total top score. My id is ryandg82

Edit - I should clarify - I'm only playing on the Championship Course 2 so my 16 rank is on that one. I'll fix that soon enough.

Syriel

Neuromancer said:
Can't wait for Pacman CE DX MP (multiplayer.)

Seriously how cool would it be. 3 people playing ghosts, 1 Pacman.

It is pretty cool playing multiplayer, though it's not in PM CE DX.

Just need a GameCube, a GBA, the GBA <-> GC cable, enough controllers, enough friends and a copy of Pac-Man Vs. ;)

This is incredibly fun but it's sooo flashy. It's the first game I've ever played that made me feel dizzy and sick. Not sure if I can play it anymore. :(

AwesomeSyrup said:
This is incredibly fun but it's sooo flashy. It's the first game I've ever played that made me feel dizzy and sick. Not sure if I can play it anymore. :(
Try using some of the other skins. Some of them are less flashy/blurry than others.

duckroll

AwesomeSyrup said:

If you're having problems with the neon style skins, you should try some of the other skins. The solid skin which looks like lego blocks is very comforting on the eyes. Also, you can also change the colors of skins to find something less glaring.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gotta retract my 30 fps comment. Something is wrong with the demo on my PS3. I have no idea what's going on, but it runs at 30 fps. Straight up, 30 fps. Tried the full game at a friends house on PS3 and it was 60 fps. So I go home, buy it on PS3, and it's running at 60 fps now.

What the hell?

I've seen something like this once before. I recommended the Scott Pilgrim game to a friend of mine so we tried the demo on his system. Loaded up the first stage and the game was running at half the framerate with no music. Uhhhh, what?

So clearly there is something going on here. Cannot explain how or why this is happening.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Love this, but feeling the same as 1000Hurts- none of my friends are playing it. Any chance of us putting together a list of gamertags for this?

Add me- RichardAM

Brashnir

dark10x said:
Gotta retract my 30 fps comment. Something is wrong with the demo on my PS3. I have no idea what's going on, but it runs at 30 fps. Straight up, 30 fps. Tried the full game at a friends house on PS3 and it was 60 fps. So I go home, buy it on PS3, and it's running at 60 fps now.

What the hell?

I've seen something like this once before. I recommended the Scott Pilgrim game to a friend of mine so we tried the demo on his system. Loaded up the first stage and the game was running at half the framerate with no music. Uhhhh, what?

So clearly there is something going on here. Cannot explain how or why this is happening.

Awesome. No inferior version confirmed then. Your earlier post got me to try out the PS3 version just to see if I could tell, and I couldn't. I generally trust your FPS goggles, so I thought maybe I was going crazy, since I'm usually able to spot the difference.

RichardAM said:
Add me- RichardAM

Added

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nope, you weren't crazy.

What I'd like to figure out, though, is why the game is running at a lower framerate in the demo on SOME systems. How is that even possible?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
1000Hurts said:

155th so far but I still haven't played some of the 10min score attacks.

RyanDG

dark10x said:
Nope, you weren't crazy.

What I'd like to figure out, though, is why the game is running at a lower framerate in the demo on SOME systems. How is that even possible?

What model of PS3 do you have?

Nert

RichardAM said:
Love this, but feeling the same as 1000Hurts- none of my friends are playing it. Any chance of us putting together a list of gamertags for this?

Add me- RichardAM

I'll add you. My tag is FloralCat, if anyone else wants to add me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dark10x said:
Nope, you weren't crazy.

I dunno how, but as I've wrote above it was the same for me as well.
First thing I've noticed.
Demo, downloaded from the EU store as as soon as it was up was 30fps with a very slow XMBC comin up as well.
Redownloaded a few hours later and BAM! 60fps.
Never had something similar befor happening to me before.
Bottom line: Dude, you aren't going crazy :lol

GAME's AWESOME btw :D

duckroll

dark10x said:
Nope, you weren't crazy.

The framerate gods are punishing you for crimes against nature? I dunno, there doesn't seem to be any other explanation!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I just had a strange bug in the last 10 seconds on Dungeon. I got the fruit on the right side and somehow the layout changed along with the left side but the dots remained as they were and ended up inside the walls.
And is it me or does the top guy in darkness have a total time of less than 3 seconds there? o_O
Oh and I'm 33rd now. I'm gonna get you 1000Hurts :D

Shig said:
I was hoping that something of a port of Pac-Man Battle Royale would be included with DX, but no such luck.
I know. I'd be really surprised if Battle Royale does NOT come to xbla/psn at some point, even if it's a couple more years. I don't know anything about the economics of arcade/amusement machines these days but I can't imagine Namco would entirely forego a home release of the game.

On a related note, I'd pay 2 or 3 bucks for DLC consisting of the the original Pac-Man with CE DX skins.

1000Hurts

Neo Member
Blizniak said:
I just had a strange bug in the last 10 seconds on Dungeon. I got the fruit on the right side and somehow the layout changed along with the left side but the dots remained as they were and ended up inside the walls.

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. It might show up on my replay of a 10 minute round of Dungeon (should be in the top 10, look for JnYChKs)

Oh and I'm 33rd now. I'm gonna get you 1000Hurts :D

BRING IT :D

Man, this game is fun. I was never big on regular Pac-Man, but this is right up my ally. My roommate and I played for over 2 hours last night.

PSN- IsntChrisL

I'm looking for some challenges!

Degen

Rank S byoooootch! Now to defend my title.

I actually tried playing this with a Street Fighter arcade stick :lol

Mindlog

blackMamba1187 said:
Anyone have tips on the doing Ghost Combo for Championship I. I've been stuck on it for a minute.

What is your current score?

I got an 'A' on the 360 leaderboards with the lazy approach. Don't eat any power pellets until your ghost train is full. Ghosts will spawn in the center after you add one to your train. Just keep slowly circling around the level and you'll be on your way to an 'A.'

I've S ranked every board. Darkness Half is a whole lot of fun.

Susurrus

I tried the demo. I wanted to shrug it off (I tend to try all demos except sports). I really wanted to throw it aside as bleh......but I couldn't. Was so awesome!!! I bought :lol

mollipen

Shig said:
I was hoping that something of a port of Pac-Man Battle Royale would be included with DX, but no such luck.

I have very little faith in Battle Royale being fun when you aren't playing with the other three players in person. Hopefully I'm wrong, but to me it felt far, far better as a with-friends local experience.

Is it wrong to be playing this game when I have GT5 in the system? I may not be that good but its definitely one of my favorite arcade games of all time. God I cant get enough. look me up! PSN: TheExecutive

KiNeSiS

Banned
If anybody cares to gamer tag score battle add me to your friends on xbl KillaCorleone33

I am number one on my list, maybe you can change that.
Or perhaps you'd be just another name, buried deep beneath my might!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, sorry to double post here, but how the hell are you supposed to do Ghost Combo on Championship I? It's literally the only thing in the game I haven't completed yet.

Billmaan

Neo Member
Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, sorry to double post here, but how the hell are you supposed to do Ghost Combo on Championship I? It's literally the only thing in the game I haven't completed yet.
If you just want to beat the default high score, all you have to do is build a max-length ghost chain. That'll give you 30 right off the bat.

Top Bottom