• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

Kolgar said:
In my hunger for information about the 30fps deal, I visited GameFAQs out of desperation and learned that several people have experienced freezes with the PS3 version.

So, half the frame rate AND freezes? Good job, Namco!

P.S. I really don't like the way the game plays with the PS3 pad.
Makes me wish I'd gone 360 after all.

Some in this thread have been trying to say this for a while, but it's worth repeating: It may be counter-intuitive, but a d-pad or a stick is not necessary for Pac-Man CE or DX. The game was designed around the 360 analog stick and the top players have posted incredible scores using the stick. It works. The slippery, out-of-control feeling you get at top speeds are part of the game itself and are NOT related to any input device. In fact, at high-level play, wrestling control of Pac-Man to maintain the patterns IS THE GAME.

Whether you like that kind of gameplay or not is a matter of personal preference (as are input devices, of course- I do realize that) but if you're looking for a good, solid controller for this game, the analog stick is it. Can't vouch for the Dual Shock analog at this point, but the 360 stick is fine.

I dunno, plays great with my SFIV pad... the original CE was better with the standard Xbox 360 analogue stick than the standard Xbox 360 d-pad, though...

for the PS3 version, press the PS HOME button and you will see how slow the XMB loads.

Doesn't the in game XMB run at the same frame rate as the active game?

Psy-Phi said:
Sleeping ghosts disappear when you eat all the pellets and fruit to make the other area spawn (if there are still ghosts in that area, they go bye bye). At least that's what I've noticed.

Also, I'm getting 0 FPS at times :(. Never had a game lock up on me on the PS3 until now. It did it twice last night. Both times within 30 seconds on a maze (different mazes).

Am I alone with that experience? Is my PS3 getting ready to go belly up? Or is this something others have experienced?
First time playing it, the first round went fine, second round froze about a minute in. Been flawless since though.

lantus

NonexistentK said:
i can't seem to get my HRAP3 (ps3) to work with this game, any help will be appreciated.

Make sure it's set to controller number 1. That was my problem with my TE fight stick.

Got this today with my free 800 points, pure bliss. It's so slick and fast, and there is so much content. It's funny that I'm pretty terrible and got the full 200 achievement points within an hour or so, but there is so much beyond that. I feel like I've just scratched the surface. Can't believe the leaderboards were only showing ~31k for Championship II though, more people need to get this.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dark10x said:
I came very close to just hitting "buy" without trying the demo first, but I'm glad I waited. Don't care for the 360 pad (for games like this), though, so I'm conflicted. My excitement for the game is kind of gone at the moment. Will probably pick it up later on 360...
Just learn how to play with the analog stick instead like a lot of us do. ;P

canonj

I just briefly tried the PS3 demo, and I swear it's running at 60fps. I can usually spot the difference between 30 and 60fps too, but if other people say the game's running at 30fps then I'm not sure what the hell is going on. Perhaps Namco has already fixed the problem?

Well based on the reviews I picked this up and am obscenely addicted. I played it so much this evening everything blurred out and my eyes got sore. I'm quite a lot in love with the little bugger, and keep hearing "wakka wakka wakka" in my head,

Someone needs to do something like this for Bubble Bobble.

BARKSTAR

Banned
If the PS3 game is running at 30FPS then I am telling you it is the smoothest 30FPS title I have ever played.

Will download the 360 demo version tomorrow and compare. There is no way I am buying this on the 360 after buying the original on the console. The D-Pad was pretty awful at times.

RyanDG

I'm really having a hard time seeing how people are saying that the PS3 version is running at 30fps?

My eyes may be getting older with age (for playing Pacman for almost around two and a half decades now), but after buying it on the PS3 and hearing people say that it was running 30fps, I downloaded the demo on the Xbox 360 and really haven't been able to get a feel for a difference that I can usually pick up on. Have my eyes and reaction time gotten bad enough now that I'm just not seeing it anymore? Maybe I'll stop complaining about 60fps vs 30fps if so. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The game seems like the same framerate as the X360 version for me too. Doesnt look 30 FPS at all. I'm running in 720p if it makes a difference.

Billmaan

Neo Member
Captain_Spanky said:
Someone needs to do something like this for Bubble Bobble.
They tried. The results were less than spectacular.

(Not that Bubble Bobble Neo was a bad game, exactly; it was serviceable, but there were some significant bugs, they changed the physics for the worse, and the new stages were pretty mediocre.)

Mindlog

Logged in and I was shocked to discover my CHII 5 min arrow wasn't pointing down. I'm currently at 1.6m, but I see room for improvement. (using the 360 analog stick.)

I'm having a hard time trying to trim down my time CH II time trials. I've almost pushed them as far as I can go.

on the other hand...
The Championship ghost train lead jumped to 400+ I have to improve on my pathetic 99.

Stupid leaderboard obsession is squeezing out the time I have for my racing games.

Dambrosi

Banned
No problems for me either. Bought the game and the Demon's Souls dynamic theme off the JPSN with my spare 1200 yen, and was presented with the 240-oddMB demo, the 6KB unlock key and some other related file (I forget how big). Anyway, installed them all, and aside from a few Japanese splash screens at the beginning, everything's in English - even the NG News bit. I play the game for a bit, and it's as silky smooth as I could ever have wanted (feels like 60fps if nothing else), no problems of any kind. I'm running at 720p too, if anyone is asking.

To me, DX is the RE4 of the series - the breakthrough iteration that shifted the games from their Score Attack Survival Horror beginnings into the neon-soaked adrenalized twitch game stylings of a new generation. And just like RE4, it stands as a true redefinition of an iconic formula, bringing new relevance to a once-thought old-fashioned and tired franchise.

Except, of course, that Pac-Man is always relevant. :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Right. After testing I'm 100% positive this runs at 60fps on PSN. XMB is definitely moving at 60 in-game and frankly, it's easy to tell just by looking at the way objects scroll by on the initial menu. I'm not going to downplay dark10x's knowledge but he's definitely wrong about this.

edit: I should say it's only because it was dark10x that I believed it.

Freezing is still a definite problem though and happened to me twice now. :\

i waited for the PSN release because, whatever anyone says, i like playing games like this with a d-pad that works, and i've had no issues at all. no freezes, seems smooth to me, and i definitely prefer the controller.

Skilletor

345triangle said:
i waited for the PSN release because, whatever anyone says, i like playing games like this with a d-pad that works, and i've had no issues at all. no freezes, seems smooth to me, and i definitely prefer the controller.

Same here. No problems at all so far. I really like this game. It's intense at the higher speeds.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x, could it be that you were playing the game on 1080p TV, and it maybe defaults to 30FPS when it has to upscale to 1080p? Maybe people seeing 60FPS are playing it on 720p TVs? Try setting your PS3 resolution output to 720p in xmb settings and see if there's any difference. Or maybe you just had some one-time glitch?

stuminus3 said:
Or maybe it just feels so good after that horrible, horrible iPhone version.
What was so horrible about it? It was a very faithful port, perfect 60FPS, and controlled pretty well using the dual d-pad method. Sure, you couldn't break any high scores playing it that way, but it was very fun to play regardless.

fernoca said:
Any tips for the no mistake achievement in 5 minutes? :lol :lol
Can I use bombs for it?

what...I got this trophy in the very first game I played (PS3)...

Just don't die. You can use all the bombs you want.
Play it on beginner if...you... really...need...to...*stare oddly*

jonabbey said:
The PS3 version is hella-fun, whatever the technical details.
technical details?.. is there something wrong with the game? I have noticed nothing. Runs great and looks great..

edit: 30fps? aah, okay. well it runs smooth.

I download the trial and this game is soooo fun. Everytime I do an epic ghost eating combo I get a smile on my face. I gotta buy the full game

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DaBargainHunta said:
I'm kinda conflicted about the framerate issue.

1. Most people can't even tell (I certainly can't). The game still plays amazingly regardless. After all, it is Pac-Man - not Resistance or Killzone.

edit:VVVVV bullshit

You will, when going for high-scores at superspeed and trying to react accordingly.
I fuckin hate 360's d-pad and Gaf's recommended Rockband drum kit pad is awful, wasted 14 bucks back then to play Pacman CE... Damn, I wish I didn't knew there was a PS3 version of the game and be content by merely playing with the analog stick on 360. Now I'm bitter about BOTH version. :'-/
At this point I wish there was a Steam version coming out, even if that meant I could only play with the projector so that wouldn't make me happy either.
I wish game journalists would ask the devs about the framerate fuck up honestly... money-hatting conspiracy theories included! :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Always-honest said:
technical details?.. is there something wrong with the game? I have noticed nothing. Runs great and looks great..

edit: 30fps? aah, okay. well it runs smooth.

No, it's 60fps. Compare the way the XMB behaves to how it behaves in something like Vanquish, an actual 30fps game.

Dash Kappei

luka said:
No, it's 60fps. Compare the way the XMB behaves to how it behaves in something like Vanquish, an actual 30fps game.

I've just redownloaded the demo and set the ps3 to output at 720p, I wanna see this thru.
It was DEFINITELY running at 30fps before for me too, not only for dark10x.
I don't see how it could be different from the demo I've downloaded as soon as it was up on EU PSN, but whatever.

Gerald Preston said:
On the 360 the boxart for this in my game library is a green xbox live box. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah. Hope they fix that. Never seen an XBLA game have that issue before. The box art is visible on the XBLA tab, so you know it's there, it's just not showing up on the friends tab or in the recent games section of My Xbox.

Dash Kappei

Ok, I'm baffled.
60fps.
Don't know what to say and I don't want to bring up esoteric theories like early demo being bugged without any evidence of that being the case, so I will easily take full responsability... shame on me :lol
As for dark10x, I guess he will be back with his own opinion.
The easiest way to spot the 60fps, versus what I gathered before, for me was to let the game run in demo mode and look at Pac running above the bottom square and also the chaining effect with the blue-hued streams going towards the edge of the screen.
And PS3's selected output doesn't matter at all in this case, the game outputs at 720p nontheless, there's no scaling involved.

Dash Kappei said:
Ok, I'm baffled.
60fps.
Don't know what to say and I don't want to bring up esoteric theories like early demo being bugged without any evidence of that being the case, so I will easily take full responsability... shame on me :lol
As for dark10x, I guess he will be back with his own opinion.
The easiest way to spot the 60fps, versus what I gathered before, for me was to let the game run in demo mode and look at Pac running above the bottom square and also the chaining effect with the blue-hued streams going towards the edge of the screen.
And PS3's selected output doesn't matter at all in this case, the game outputs at 720p nontheless, there's no scaling involved.
yup. always 720P.
Well good to know for the framerate fanatics that the game runs at 60. It's great, runs smooth and looks very clear and great at 720P.

The only thing i like less is the music. But that's not really a problem. I just turn on other music :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
Out of 35k on XBLA I'm ranked 477

Which means more people need to be playing this because I know damn well I'm not that good at Pacman :D

Top Bottom