• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

bdouble

What'd you add to increase the fat?

i'm looking at it and not sure. If he cooked the spinach with coconut oil then drizzled with olive oil plus the steak cooked in butter not sure what else you could do. He even added mozzarella cheese. To me it looks pretty filling. I'd say more veg though if your not satiate after a meal like that.

For people who miss the taste/texture of grains, I found that grated or blended cauliflower in the microwave is a very tasty alternative.

Just put the grated cauliflower in a bowl, cover and microwave until done (my microwave has an automatic setting for vegetables, I use that). When you take it out, add your choice of fat (olive oil/butter/coconut/ghee) on top and stir (salt/pepper optional). Enjoy steamy, low carb, tasty goodness.

Can also be cooked in a pot on the stove (but results in different taste/texture). I like to mix in various other vegetables sometimes (carrots, broccoli, cabbage) and blend together (you'll need to add some water to ease the blending). Add the fat while it's on the heat and keep stirring until you think it's ready. Very tasty and filling.

Lately I've been trying to think of ways to eat a lot of eggs without getting bored of the taste (which can happen very quickly for me with plain old sunny side up or scrambled eggs), so one time I tried blending cauliflower with eggs and frying it... Holy smokes, it was delicious!

After a while I dared to try blending broccoli with eggs instead of cauliflower, and it was even tastier! Then tried adding some purple cabbage to the cauliflower which turned the whole thing into neon blue goodness :)

I know some say that scrambled eggs are the least healthy way of making eggs (due to the fragile PUFAs getting quickly oxidized from exposure to air), and blending would only make it worse... But I'm willing to take the chance if it makes the taste of eggs that much better. And the antioxidants/polyphenols from the blended veggies ought to help.

Here's a picture of what I made today with 5 to 6 cups of chopped cauliflower (with some broccoli), and 6 to 7 eggs blended together, and "fried" with a liberal amount of pastured ghee (clarified butter):

I say "fried" because the mixture is pretty thick and fills half the pot, and you have to keep constantly stirring to cook evenly and avoid burning the bottom (I also cover with the lid for a little while on low heat to allow more steaming). Makes two servings (I had already eaten almost half of it before taking the pic), I usually eat half and put the rest in the fridge for later. To reheat, just add a tiny bit of water if it looks dry and sit over the stove until warm enough.

Edit: forgot to mention that I added a couple of cloves of garlic to the blend today, and did not regret it.

CrankyJay

Banned
So I went the entire day yesterday with no carbs from wheat/grains/rice etc...feeling a bit hungry and lethargic.

Yesterday was a ton of green veggies and lean meats (turkey and pork tenderloin), field mix, tuna, avocado, green peppers, broccoli.

This morning I had bacon and eggs and an apple...guess it's a shock to my body not ingesting a bunch of sugar or carbs it was expecting.

Dash27

Yes remember to get your fat in. I have to remind myself of that too. Lot's of vegetables are great but it's not a lot in the way of calories by volume as compared to grains.

Nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, olive oil, butter/ghee plus whatever you get from animal fat.

If you're ok with cheese I eat that too. I also drink a glass of full fat milk after workouts sometimes.

This headache needs to stop, already. Day 4, and I've been (mostly) keeping it kosher, slipping only to have a light beer on Tuesday night when out to dinner. Lots of almonds, an apple a day, sometimes a pear. Just drinking water and last night had a glass of cab with dinner.

No dairy, no grains, no bread. Eggs in the morning with onions and pepper, chili for lunch (ingredients are within bounds), and dinner is steamed or sauteed veggies (if sauteed it's a 1/2 tsp of olive oil), and meat cooked in it's own fat. Salted and peppered to taste.

Oh yes, and coffee with no milk and raw sugar (one step at a time, here). So what the unnatural fuck is going on in my brain with this headache? God DAMN.

On fat - http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/4/4/imagining-head-smashed-in.html

There's an argument that we favoured the fatty organs and bone marrow. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Inuit give the muscle meat to the dogs.
I have Eaton et al, the prominent paleo diet researchers on my side and you post this bunk?
The Inuit are a rare case and suffer from a lot of different ailments because of environment.
Still, wild game is very lean compared to domesticated animals.

FryHole

I have Eaton et al, the prominent paleo diet researchers on my side and you post this bunk?

Heavens to Murgatroyd, I do apologise - do you actually have them here, behind this sign, a la Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall? Forgive me, all, I shall trouble you with mild-mannered debate and discussion no more.

Honestly - 'this guy says this and so it's not up for debate', is that the way it's supposed to work?

This headache needs to stop, already. Day 4, and I've been (mostly) keeping it kosher, slipping only to have a light beer on Tuesday night when out to dinner. Lots of almonds, an apple a day, sometimes a pear. Just drinking water and last night had a glass of cab with dinner.

No dairy, no grains, no bread. Eggs in the morning with onions and pepper, chili for lunch (ingredients are within bounds), and dinner is steamed or sauteed veggies (if sauteed it's a 1/2 tsp of olive oil), and meat cooked in it's own fat. Salted and peppered to taste.

Oh yes, and coffee with no milk and raw sugar (one step at a time, here). So what the unnatural fuck is going on in my brain with this headache? God DAMN.

your brain is being tortured and thinks its being degraded

eventually it will submit and be forced to deal with it

forever

Heavens to Murgatroyd, I do apologise - do you actually have them here, behind this sign, a la Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall? Forgive me, all, I shall trouble you with mild-mannered debate and discussion no more.

Honestly - 'this guy says this and so it's not up for debate', is that the way it's supposed to work?
Never said that.
you can argue with the research if you actually read the damn study and come up with a coherent argument but you need to back it up with science not just randomly. I use Eaton because they do offer revisions and have been studying paleo diets for decades.

CrankyJay

Banned

Never said that.
you can argue with the research if you actually read the damn study and come up with a coherent argument but you need to back it up with science not just randomly. I use Eaton because they do offer revisions and have been studying paleo diets for decades.

Holy crap, it's just a diet guys!

FryHole

Never said that.

I've got no intention whatsoever of getting into a science dance-off - just thought you and others might be interested in an alternate viewpoint from guy who eats paleo and actually hunts wild game animals (ie him wot I linked to, not me). I understand he used to be quite big in the paleosphere until he gave up blogging.

And I'm not necessarily arguing with the research. I think the original paleo diet theory suffers from what many on this thread said - the insistence that we should look to some particular era in humanity's past and mimic what they ate. You're left with two questions - 'what era, exactly?', and 'how do we know what they ate?'. Attempts at outright re-enactment are unwise - we just can't know. To that end I just use paleo as a starting principle and build on it with other dietary research, particularly that showing health benefits from relying on fat for energy rather than carbohydrate. I don't much care if paleo man ate the leanest cuts of the trimmest animals, it's not how I eat and I'm not likely to change it.

Adhering slavishly to the literature on paleo surely leaves you open to the inevitable revisions; you'll be constantly tinkering with your diet as the new findings come in, just like someone who followed the mainstream diet advice would be (eggs are bad! fat is bad! only some fat is bad! other types of fat are good! eggs are good!). Me, I think the literature shows that high fat diets are healthy and to that end I think - and let me emphasise that this is a nothing more than a hunch - Eaton et al might be missing something, or maybe they're not missing anything, maybe everything in their work is perfectly accurate and complete and sound, but reenacting paleo to the point of macro ratios just doesn't matter.

Dash27

If it was me I'd ease up then assuming it's a bad headache. Add enough fat, dairy, grains, carbs or whatever to get rid of the headaches then scale back. People report that at first, I never had them myself but then again I'm using that 80/20 rule to the fullest to ease my way in.

By the end of this month I'll be going for strict and we'll see how that works.

If it was me I'd ease up then assuming it's a bad headache. Add enough fat, dairy, grains, carbs or whatever to get rid of the headaches then scale back. People report that at first, I never had them myself but then again I'm using that 80/20 rule to the fullest to ease my way in.

By the end of this month I'll be going for strict and we'll see how that works.

It's not that it's terrible, but it is persistent in that getting on the nerves kind of way. I'm sure it'll end, but fuck all if it can't come soon enough. Doesn't help with a sick toddler and an infant that wants nothing to do with me 30 minutes before bed time (oddly the times that I find myself having to mind her).

Has anyone tried taking a can of salmon, tossing the contents in a blender, addition tomatos, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, blending it with water...is that a good idea?

Subprime

Jesus christ, who cares if something is "okay" with paleo. If you follow a largely paleo diet, its not going to kill you to add something now and then that isn't kosher.

CrankyJay

Banned
Jesus christ, who cares if something is "okay" with paleo. If you follow a largely paleo diet, its not going to kill you to add something now and then that isn't kosher.

I hear ya. It's all or nothing for some people with diets. That's why so many people fail.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm doing low carb (generally around 30 per day) and I'm getting hungry. Should I stock almonds around the house? I don't know if my meals need more fat or what.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Post up your day for us.

Here's yesterday. I'm doing P90X and Insanity (next week) along with it. This includes Yoga adding some calories back.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-01-10%2520at%25209.26.19%2520PM.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm alright, I just keep getting that calorie in calorie out thing nagging me when i go over 2000. :p

What should I add? More snacks?

Low carb is trickier than I thought.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This is the Paleo thread and you're yelling at people for asking about what would be considered "Paleo?"

SeanR1221

Hmm alright, I just keep getting that calorie in calorie out thing nagging me when i go over 2000. :p

What should I add? More snacks?

Low carb is trickier than I thought.

More fats, more meat, more eggs. Cook your vegetables in coconut oil, should get those numbers up pretty high and keep you feeling full.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
More fats, more meat, more eggs. Cook your vegetables in coconut oil, should get those numbers up pretty high and keep you feeling full.

Almost bought some coconut oil but it was pricey. I'll look into it. Maybe I'll add an extra egg to egg meal. 4 a day isn't bad right?

dralla

If you can't afford coconut oil, use butter or start adding avocados to meals. Eat fattier cuts of meat if you can afford that too. If you stick to lean proteins you'll wanna add fats to meals..again, butter, avocados, nuts, olive oil, eggs [can mix them into stir fries]. Grass-fed butter is so good, it makes it easy to add fats to meals, I drench my veggies in it.

The Bold flavor almonds from BD are roasted in veggie oil, I'd stick to whole almonds or their all natural line which has no added oils.

Dre

Almost bought some coconut oil but it was pricey. I'll look into it. Maybe I'll add an extra egg to egg meal. 4 a day isn't bad right?

Ever tried coconut milk ? Every once in a while I drink a 200ml (about 7 fl oz) cup of it to boost my fat intake when my meals on that day are rather low on fat. The other day for instance I had 90% coconut milk without additives and got 36g (34g saturated) of fat out of it.

Coconut products may be expensive depending on where you live, but they're worth it. It should be easier/cheaper to find some if you have Asian neighborhoods near you.

I've been doing a very similar diet for about a week and a half. I've lost 4 lbs already, but I've also been exercising more. The low carb slump finally went away yesterday.

Edit: For clarity I keep to around 2000 calories a day. Sometimes I go over. I also exercise every other day for 30 minutes.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ended up getting a bag of macadamia nuts from my local wholesale club...was still $10, but at least I don't have to soak those for removing phytates.

I need to combine this diet with going back to the gym and counting these calories, because I think I'm coming in pretty low as of late and find myself being hungry almost all the time.

Dash27

Today was a rough one for me, I ran out of most of the "good" food in the house and didnt have time to go get anything. I was very tempted at one point to have a big bowl of my oatmeal but passed on it.

iddqd

Been paleo for a while last year but the wife's pregnancy has that thrown a GIANT rock into that.

Slowly trying to get back.
But I will stick to the rice pasta and oatmeal. More gluten free diet then paleo I guess..

But everyone thinking about it, the 30 day trial thing is a great way to start and especially if your eating shitty, the results are immediate.

CrankyJay

Banned
Been paleo for a while last year but the wife's pregnancy has that thrown a GIANT rock into that.

Slowly trying to get back.
But I will stick to the rice pasta and oatmeal. More gluten free diet then paleo I guess..

But everyone thinking about it, the 30 day trial thing is a great way to start and especially if your eating shitty, the results are immediate.

What you're describing is more of The Perfect Health diet...which in my mind is just fine. Typically your carbs will come from gluten free starches such as white rice, regular potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

After doing a bunch of reading the past couple of days, I feel this is more in line with my fitness goals than paleo. I tried doing weight lifting on very low carbs to awful results, so being able to partake in the occasional side of rice and potatoes is important to me. Plus, something about getting scurvy or other ailments for going low carb for too long just scares me.

I guess in the end you just need to listen to your own body and tailor your diet to what you need or what your goals are. Cutting back on or completely eliminating wheat products, processed foods, and sugar should be the corner stone of any successful diet/lifestyle change.

Hero

So obviously cooking and eating at home is always going to be better for you, less expensive, etc etc.

But what do you guys do when you HAVE to eat out? Get a burger sans the bun? Just looking for some ideas here.

I don't even understand what you can possibly eat for breakfast on this type of diet. Breakfast is all about grains, breads, and dairy. I can't just eat a shit load of fruit for breakfast.

Top Bottom