• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

I've been doing a very basic version of this since around the beginning of January. It's been amazing! The most important aspect, for myself, is not necessarily being strict on various rules but more just being conscious of what I'm putting in me rather than blindly scarfing anything down. And the water. Tons of water.

The best part, for me, is that this is actually enjoyable. I cheat at times but it's not even a big deal for me. If 80+ percent of the time I'm eating well, feeling great, I don't mind if I eat a bit of toast at breakfast every now and then.

entremet

You guys are really making me curious with all this butter in coffee talk. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Salted or unsalted? I'm assuming unsalted.

Doesn't really matter. Grass fed is probably the most important thing. The rest is a matter taste.

GatorBait

Anyone in here do intermittent fasting? I'd really appreciate it if someone can give me a brief overview of what it is and why it is good for you (or point me in the direction of a good, short article). I am wondering of it is something that is worth practicing when I am on business trips.

Dre

Anyone in here do intermittent fasting? I'd really appreciate it if someone can give me a brief overview of what it is and why it is good for you (or point me in the direction of a good, short article). I am wondering of it is something that is worth practicing when I am on business trips.

I'm currently doing this (rather I'm trying to do this, I just started):
The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

I'm mostly doing this because it is surprisingly easy for me to eat during an 8 hours window and fast for 16 hours. I have no cravings whatsoever during those 16h.

Other methods and benefits are described here:
How to Implement Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Schlep

I'll probably get slaughtered for referring them, but the Hodge twins talk about it a lot on Youtube, and they're funny to watch. Not exactly Paleo, but interesting nonetheless.

Darko

dralla

is grass fed the only option for paleo? its pretty much impossible to get where I live (canada)

is this one paleo friendly?
http://coconutbliss.com/coconut-bliss-products

they are, but they do have a decent amount of added sugars, so if you're trying to lose weight you might not want that. So Delicious is sweetened with stevia/erythritol and chicory root/inulin [fibers].

--

picked up some grass fed lamb chops today since they were on sale, mmm im excited to have them tomorrow

my receipt

j4Q1lsnTQ3HG7.jpg

buy produce frozen to save money for meat. that's 2 servings of salmon, 1 for the lamb chops. even without the discount, $39 isn't too bad considering I'm buying expensive cuts of meat. I get eggs and lean proteins from other stores.

and my baller ass dinner from the other night

edit. gawd damn, steamed rutabaga chunks and kerrygold garlic and herb butter, fucking greatness. and try and do mashed ones tomorrow - http://southernfood.about.com/od/turnipandrutabagarecipes/r/r70424a.htm

despire

I was just wondering, is this whole "grain fed organic" thing integral to this particular diet?

It's not a deal breaker. Get it if you can find/afford but otherwise jus eat regular meat and perhaps supplement with more Omega 3 from fish oils than normally. For example I can't really get grass fed meat from anywhere. I know of one farm (in whole of Finland) whose cattle is technically grass fed but the meat is like 60€/kg so not an option.

Dash27

I was just wondering, is this whole "grain fed organic" thing integral to this particular diet?

They always push it but the best reference I've seen is something like: baseline > better > Best

Oh actually there is a PDF on it here: http://www.balancedbites.com/PDFs/BOOK_EXTRAS/PracticalPaleo_GuidetoFoodQuality.pdf

As for fruits and veggies anything with a "hard skin" is not a big deal. oranges, avocados, bananas etc. But stuff like strawberries are. So they say. I try to form my own opinion on stuff like that.

dralla

It's not a deal breaker. Get it if you can find/afford but otherwise jus eat regular meat and perhaps supplement with more Omega 3 from fish oils than normally. For example I can't really get grass fed meat from anywhere. I know of one farm (in whole of Finland) whose cattle is technically grass fed but the meat is like 60€/kg so not an option.

Beef is a poor source of omega-3's, grass-fed included. If you're concerned about omega-3's you should be eating fatty fish a couple times a week.

Don't let perfection be the enemy, eating grass-fed meat and pasteurized eggs are considered optimal, but eating regular old meat and eggs is great too. Removing grains, veggie oils, refined sugars/carbs, will improve your health dramatically. Essentially, buy the best you can afford and don't feel guilty about it.

eat coconut ice cream, same taste, no guilt, good amount of MCT's. So Delicious sells 'no added sugar' varieties, they're great for an occasional treat.

i just bought a quart of this last night to try it out (chocolate, not a fan of vanilla), along with some gluten-free beer (omission lager). the beer was nice, i was enjoying pilsners/american style lagers before going paleo and this fits the bill nicely. i'm pretty sure though if i had an IPA i would be drunk in no time lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware

They always push it but the best reference I've seen is something like: baseline > better > Best

Oh actually there is a PDF on it here: http://www.balancedbites.com/PDFs/BO...oodQuality.pdf

As for fruits and veggies anything with a "hard skin" is not a big deal. oranges, avocados, bananas etc. But stuff like strawberries are. So they say. I try to form my own opinion on stuff like that.

Beef is a poor source of omega-3's, grass-fed included. If you're concerned about omega-3's you should be eating fatty fish a couple times a week.

Don't let perfection be the enemy, eating grass-fed meat and pasteurized eggs are considered optimal, but eating regular old meat and eggs is great too. Removing grains, veggie oils, refined sugars/carbs, will improve your health dramatically. Essentially, buy the best you can afford and don't feel guilty about it.

Cheers. Going through the last few pages, I got the impression that you needed to have that kind of meat for this diet.

What do you guys think of Tim Ferris' "Take one day off per week" rule?

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/
Take one day off per week

I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia.

I've been incorporating legumes in my diet lately (soaked, sprouted, then cooked), kinda similar to his so called "slow-carb diet", but I never followed a regular or systematic method for cheating. I was pretty strict paleo for years, and recently I experimented with occasional chocolate candy bars, and I kinda realized that eating anything sweet (even fruit) on a frequent basis is always a slippery slope for me. It starts with one apple a day and slowly creeps to 10 apples a day, every day! (or two candy bars a day @500 cal each!)

So right now I've cut out fruit, honey and chocolate completely, and I feel good. But it's only been a couple of weeks and I expect I'll start feeling "deprived" sooner or later and fall back into daily binging.

That's why I'm intrigued by the "one day a week binge all you want" approach. I think it might give me that "fix" while preventing the slow-creep into daily binging that I tend to fall into if I don't space out my cheats by strict and fixed time period (e.g. 1 week).

Edit: Just to clarify I don't have a weight issue at all (If anything I'd prefer to gain weight than lose any), my main concern is long term health and maintaining contol over my eating habits.

SeanR1221

Hmm interesting, I dont know about a once a week binge, but that made me think of refeeds.

In fact SeanR1221 have you looked into this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/732925-the-power-of-refeed-and-leptin

I know Lyle McDonald has stuff that includes refeeds, I'd have to look for it.

Very interesting. So it's more than just a cheat meal then, right? Like last week I did have that burger and fries but it didn't change anything on the scale this week.

Edit- thinking back I was still at 2000 calories with the burger and fries. So I'd have to do like 2500-3000 calories, for 1-2 days to re-feed.

Dash27

Very interesting. So it's more than just a cheat meal then, right? Like last week I did have that burger and fries but it didn't change anything on the scale this week.

Edit- thinking back I was still at 2000 calories with the burger and fries. So I'd have to do like 2500-3000 calories, for 1-2 days to re-feed.

Yeah I honestly dont know too much about it other than the really basic principle behind it. I do trust Lyle McDonald or Alan Argon over at bodyrecomposition.com, I'm sure they have stuff on it. I have the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook on PDF and here is the relevant bit as it pertains to that specific program:

So how does one do a structured refeed? Unfortunately, it depends on a lot of variables that I
don’t want to get into huge detail here (again, A Guide to Flexible Dieting, goes into far more detail on
the topic). I will say this, you should try to consume mainly carbohydrates during the refeed, while
keeping dietary fat intake low to moderate (I’d say no more than about 50 grams of fat per day, about 4
tablespoons). Since you’re only eating a small amount of fat on the extreme diet in the first place, you
simply need to add 3-4 tbsp (peanut butter anyone?) to your normal fat intake.
As far as carbohydrates, it’s best to avoid too much sucrose (table sugar) or fructose (fruit sugar).
Page 46
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
You can have some (about 100 grams of sucrose of 50 grams of fructose maximum), just don’t make it
the totality of your intake. All starches, moderate amounts of fruit (2-3 pieces total), and even some junk
food (again, not too much) is fair game. Doing a structured refeed on a crash diet really isn’t that hard, just
stick with your normal protein plus vegetables plus essential fatty acid intake and add a ton of
carbohydrates and a small amount of dietary fat.
The big ‘it depends’ is amount, how much to eat during a structured refeed. My UD2 used a 3
day refeed comprised of 12-16 grams of carbs per kilogram (about 5-6 grams per pound) on the first
day, about half of that (2-3 g/lb) on the second day, and about half (1-1.5 g/lb) of that on the third day.
But that was a specific diet for a very specific group (lean athletes who were completely glycogen
depleted going into the refeed). A UD2 style refeed is actually what I’d suggest for dieters in category 1
at the end of the diet but would be too much for the other two categories. I’ll mention now that category
3 dieters don’t get a structured refeed as they simply don’t need it.

theytookourjobz

Posted this in the fitness bro science thread but wasnt aware of a paleo thread. I've been eating pretty strict paleo since December 1st. I've had rice and corn a couple times but no dairy, no gluten, no sugar. First pic is week 2, second one is yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/2r2LJr4.jpg

This diet has been great for my sleep, energy levels, and I've gotten the results I've wanted asthetically and in my training. Give it a couple months would be my only advice. And don't have cheat days. If you succumb to temptation, let it be an isolated incident.

maxxpower

I go nuts one day a week and I haven't gained a pound in one year.(I'm not trying to gain or lose weight.)

I usually will eat an entire medium pizza, a bag of chips, and some candy.

Hero

Posted this in the fitness bro science thread but wasnt aware of a paleo thread. I've been eating pretty strict paleo since December 1st. I've had rice and corn a couple times but no dairy, no gluten, no sugar. First pic is week 2, second one is yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/2r2LJr4.jpg

This diet has been great for my sleep, energy levels, and I've gotten the results I've wanted asthetically and in my training. Give it a couple months would be my only advice. And don't have cheat days. If you succumb to temptation, let it be an isolated incident.

Nice results man, pretty noticeable difference in just two months.

Dash27

Are you counting calories or just eating when hungry?

I follow the Primal version of Paleo and experiment occasionally with the Perfect Health diet, which only adds rice as an acceptable carb on top of tubers. Since I'm trying to lose weight my only tuber is an occasional sweet potato so I'll try out rice later when I get to a good weight.

I'm sure some of this has already been stated but the main things I like about eating like this are I'm satiated after every meal, I never have gas (as long as I don't add back in any grains or beans), my skin is way better (I've had acne since a teenager and a used to get a couple a week even into my 30's until trying Primal/Paleo), I don't know that I notice a whole lot of energy difference but that my be because I have two boys, 3 and 1 that keep me so busy with I never get a lot of sleep. I also never have any stomach issues or heartburn.

I don't do grassfed/organic because it's just so hard to find in my area and when I do the cost is just hard for me to be willing to spend.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Carb reset daaaaaaay!! Then 2 hours of sparring.

dralla

a little before and after action, grass fed lamb chops

omgggg dat shit was delicious. I wish it wasn't so expensive, $17/pound usually. that's some pseudo-mashed rutabaga in kerrygold garlic butter, on top of spinach.

Grass fed New Zealand lamb is literally the cheapest meat sold here, I love it. Locally produced meat is at least twice the price, and grain-fed from USA is like 5 times the price or more.

Last week when I stocked up it was about $6/kg (so $3 per lb?). Yeah getting paleo-approved meat is the least expensive option for me. You won't hear me complain about that.

FryHole

Well, now:

http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2...about-dietary-fats-and-heart-disease-guidance

Dietary advice about fats and the risk of heart disease is called into question on bmj.com today as a clinical trial shows that replacing saturated animal fats with omega-6 polyunsaturated vegetable fats is linked to an increased risk of death among patients with heart disease.

Participants were randomly divided into two groups. The intervention group was instructed to reduce saturated fats (from animal fats, common margarines and shortenings) to less than 10% of energy intake and to increase linoleic acid (from safflower oil and safflower oil polyunsaturated margarine) to 15% of energy intake. Safflower oil is a concentrated source of omega-6 linoleic acid and provides no omega-3 PUFAs.

The control group received no specific dietary advice. Both groups had regular assessments and completed food diaries for an average of 39 months. All non-dietary aspects of the study were designed to be equal in both groups.

The results show that the omega-6 linoleic acid group had a higher risk of death from all causes, as well as from cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease, compared with the control group.

Saturated fat, I loves it. Reflects the results of the Rose et al corn oil trial, too.

theytookourjobz

Weights or cardio as well?

I'm training for a weightlifting competition right now so my training is mostly just lifting. M- clean and jerk, Tues- snatch, Weds- clean then jerk, Thurs- snatch, Friday- max out. I also squat MWF, and if I'm not too wrecked I'll usually do a CrossFit WOD on Saturday.

dralla

Grass fed New Zealand lamb is literally the cheapest meat sold here, I love it. Locally produced meat is at least twice the price, and grain-fed from USA is like 5 times the price or more.

Last week when I stocked up it was about $6/kg (so $3 per lb?). Yeah getting paleo-approved meat is the least expensive option for me. You won't hear me complain about that.

that's not even our most expensive cut, the rack of lamb? I believe, is $20/pound. You're a lucky bastard, I wouldn't mind living in NZ. I know people who get nauseous from eating lamb, which is really unfortunately, considering how tasty it is.

I also picked up sirloin steak which was on sale for $7/pound, staying paleo on a budget is kind of fun, it makes you look at different things you might not have seen before, like the rutabaga, which has become my favorite side dish atm. Seriously, if you want something starchy but aren't super active and don't want a potatoe [or you turn orange from sweet potatoes :(], these are a godsend. I think I might try bacon-wrapped rutabaga tomorrow.

for you instagramers, this runs a paleo 'channel', he's got some really great pics/recipies to give you ideas - http://ink361.com/#!/users/203445941/photos

Futureman

dralla, quick clarification...

I asked about brown rice the other day.... and you said most go with white because of the anti-nutrients in brown? I've always heard that brown is better, that nutrients are removed when they process brown --> white rice? I know it isn't even supposed to be in the paleo diet but I'm wondering about that.

also how bad is microwaving frozen veggies? does that kill all nutrients or is it still a decent way to eat? I mainly eat fresh veggies which I put in a ziplock container in my fridge, and eat my lettue, tomatoes, onion, parsley, cilantro, cucumber that I buy on Sunday throughout the week.

Guevara

Because of this thread I tried eggs for breakfast instead of my usual bowl of cereal. I even bought the free range, brown eggs from Trader Joes. They were delicious.

Dash27

Because of this thread I tried eggs for breakfast instead of my usual bowl of cereal. I even bought the free range, brown eggs from Trader Joes. They were delicious.

I'm really dying to try some farm fresh eggs. Like, right from the farm not even in a Trader Joes. I even briefly considered buying a few live chickens to raise.

SeanR1221

Dash, I had a big sesame chicken and brown rice meal from Wegmans last night. I've been bouncing between 195-196 since Jsnuary 13th. Today I was 194.

FryHole

I asked about brown rice the other day.... and you said most go with white because of the anti-nutrients in brown? I've always heard that brown is better, that nutrients are removed when they process brown --> white rice? I know it isn't even supposed to be in the paleo diet but I'm wondering about that.

also how bad is microwaving frozen veggies? does that kill all nutrients or is it still a decent way to eat? I mainly eat fresh veggies which I put in a ziplock container in my fridge, and eat my lettue, tomatoes, onion, parsley, cilantro, cucumber that I buy on Sunday throughout the week.

Hope dralla doesn't mind me offering a reply of my own to this one. Basically both nutrients and anti-nutrients are contained in the bran, the bit that is removed when rice is processed. White rice is just the core and is basically pure starch, whereas the bran contains vitamins and minerals such as niacin and magnesium, but also such potentially problematic molecules such as phytate (and some others, I think, allergens etc). Phytate, for example, appears to inhibit absorption of the very minerals you would otherwise benefit from by eating brown rice. While I'm not aware of much quality evidence to show the benefits of avoiding brown rice, the paleo argument is that you can get the vitamins and minerals from other food sources (meat, root veg) that aren't accompanied by problematic molecules, so it makes sense to do so. White rice, meanwhile, can be used purely as a source of calories, containing nothing either beneficial or detrimental.

I'm sure I saw a paper about microwaving and nutrient effects - if I can find it I'll post it here.

Dash27

Dash, I had a big sesame chicken and brown rice meal from Wegmans last night. I've been bouncing between 195-196 since Jsnuary 13th. Today I was 194.

That's whats up! Good to hear, if anything shaking things up is a good thing if it's been a long time with no changes. I'm going to try and keep this in mind myself for when I inevitably hit a wall.

Oh and P.S. the wife is making home made pizza tonight so yeah: refeed engaged.

mf.luder

Hitting a bit of a plateau but had a few nights of alcohol (rum with diet mix). I don't have any cravings for sugar or grains but do miss a good piece of breaded chicken.

I'm thinking about doing a pork rind mixture with some spices and doing up some trial chicken.

MjFrancis

I'm really dying to try some farm fresh eggs. Like, right from the farm not even in a Trader Joes. I even briefly considered buying a few live chickens to raise.
I feel fortunate to be able to consume farm fresh eggs on a regular basis. I get a dozen eggs from two separate locals who own chickens and still usually buy two dozen a week at the store. The farm fresh ones, for lack of a better description, usually taste a little richer.

Farm fresh eggs are great for everything save for if you need to peel them hard-boiled. That's always harder than store-bought eggs for reasons I've yet to explore.

dralla

Well!

Looks like Fry already answered, basically yea, the brown rice does have more minerals but the phytates prevent mineral absorption to a certain degree. I wouldn't worry too much about it though honestly, get which you prefer, taste wise.

I've checked out plenty of microwaving veggies studies, there's nothing to worry about. Each type of preparation, steamed, boiled, microwaved, ect. will provide slight variences in mineral content, but it's minimal, again, go with which you prefer taste wise or which is more convenience. I've been microwaving the rutabaga with a little water and it comes out delicious. I microwave frozen brussel sprouts too, and a few others. Both things like leafy greens taste like ass when you microwave them, so I saute them.

Yea, you can general see the difference in eggs in the texture. Try pasteurized eggs, very expensive, but it's nice to see the difference. I think I'm going to pick up some duck eggs today at work. We also so quail, emu and ostrich, but they're damn expensive.

Hitting a bit of a plateau but had a few nights of alcohol (rum with diet mix). I don't have any cravings for sugar or grains but do miss a good piece of breaded chicken.

I'm thinking about doing a pork rind mixture with some spices and doing up some trial chicken.

Yea, crushed up pork rinds. Or almond meal, coconut flour, or shredded coconut. Fried in healthy oils of course. It comes out surprisingly well. I think I actually like the shredded coconut the best. I need to make some again and see, it's been a while.

Top Bottom