• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

I normally have the following for lunch,

- Lettuce wrap (includes mustard, turkey/chicken/ham/salami, cheese)
- String Cheese
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Salad with some chopped carrots, a few croutons and ranch dressing
- Fruit (normally strawberries, sometimes an apple)
- Hardboiled Egg or Almonds

Dre

The deeper yellow/golden/orange the yolk is, the better the egg; this is because more nutrient rich (and consequently more flavorful) eggs have greater amounts of carotenoids and their animal derivative, vitamin A- thus giving them their color. Height of yolk and spread of white - the former should be greater and the latter smaller, respectively - are indicative of freshness. Pastured eggs bought farmside are most desirable for having all of these qualities in abundance, but it's possible by experiment to find store-bought eggs that fit this too. (Personally, American here, I always go for AA at a minimum.)

Actually that's not correct. Farmers can easily choose the color of the yolk by mixing carotenoids supplements into the food of the hens. The color has nothing to do with the quality of the egg.
Chemical companies even have "Egg Yolk Color Fans" to make it easier for the farmer:
http://www.christa.bg/files/Catalogue/105.pdf

Over here in Europe for instance organic and pastured egg yolks are much lighter than the ones from conventional eggs because supplements are not allowed to be added to the food.

despire

I'm still wondering if I should just keep my diet and training as it is which means eating less (1600/2300kcal) and trying to maintain my strength. Or just bump my eating up to around my TDEE and deload everything and try to go from there towards hopefully new strength gains and loss of bodyfat..

lol whoops, yea.

Thought so :)

Aren't eggs from "farm chickens" the same thing as pastured (slso called "free range")? Assuming the farmers do let the chickens out of their cages.

Sadly I have no sources for such eggs (chickens eating an omnivor diet). All commercially sold eggs here are the industrial variety and every single company proudly taughts on the packaging "100% VEGETARIAN FEED", which basically means the chickens are fed grains.

Actually that's not correct. Farmers can easily choose the color of the yolk by mixing carotenoids supplements into the food of the hens. The color has nothing to do with the quality of the egg.
Chemical companies even have "Egg Yolk Color Fans" to make it easier for the farmer:
http://www.christa.bg/files/Catalogue/105.pdf

Over here in Europe for instance organic and pastured egg yolks are much lighter than the ones from conventional eggs because supplements are not allowed to be added to the food.

Damn, I've found that one of the conventional egg brands here has darker yolks and I've been going out of my way to buy them all the time thinking/hoping that they might be slightly better than the rest... :(

Dash27

I'm still wondering if I should just keep my diet and training as it is which means eating less (1600/2300kcal) and trying to maintain my strength. Or just bump my eating up to around my TDEE and deload everything and try to go from there towards hopefully new strength gains and loss of bodyfat..

I had a talk with a coach at my gym and we pretty much agreed the way to go for me was to just keep coming in and lifting like I mean it for strength, and then just keeping the diet on pace for body composition.

Right now I'm still losing weight no counting. Strength numbers are progressing up. If I plateau I will dial it in to be stricter, if that fails I'll go to counting and refeeds if I stall for too long.

Dre

Thought so :)

Aren't eggs from "farm chickens" the same thing as pastured (slso called "free range")? Assuming the farmers do let the chickens out of their cages.

Sadly I have no sources for such eggs (chickens eating an omnivor diet). All commercially sold eggs here are the industrial variety and every single company proudly taughts on the packaging "100% VEGETARIAN FEED", which basically means the chickens are fed grains.

Like you said chickens are omnivores so it's actually normal that they eat grains (amongst other things like bugs, grass, herbs, clover, ...). I think it's basically impossible to raise chickens without feeding them grains, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. The eggs I buy are also fed grains (100% organic) for instance, they also have tracking codes, so I can actually see the farm on their website.
The eggs in my fridge are currently from this farm:

bauer-zaeh_1.JPG

bauer-zaeh_2.JPG

bauer-zaeh_3.JPG

Like you said chickens are omnivores so it's actually normal that they eat grains (amongst other things like bugs, grass, herbs, clover, ...). I think it's basically impossible to raise chickens without feeding them grains, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. The eggs I buy are also fed grains (100% organic) for instance, they also have tracking codes, so I can actually see the farm on their website.
The eggs in my fridge are currently from this farm:

bauer-zaeh_1.JPG

bauer-zaeh_2.JPG

bauer-zaeh_3.JPG

I believe there's a difference when chickens are fed grains execlusively (that's what the "100% plant feed" on the carton means). If they were free range chickens allowed to go out on grass like the photos you posted then they wouldn't be eating grains only, they'd be eating insects and grass and what not in addition to grains. And that affects the omega 3 to omega 6 fats ratio in the yolks for one.

I'm not bothered that the chickens are fed grains, but I am bothered that they are most likely fed only that and nothing else. The chickens that lay the eggs I buy are probably raised in tiny cages where they never see sun light and are only fed grains. Humans are omnivores but that doesn't mean we can be healthy by eating one type of food and nothing else. Same applies to chickens (and the eggs they lay)

Dre

I believe there's a difference when chickens are fed grains execlusively (that's what the "100% plant feed" on the carton means). If they were free range chickens allowed to go out on grass like the photos you posted then they wouldn't be eating grains only, they'd be eating insects and grass and what not in addition to grains. And that affects the omega 3 to omega 6 fats ratio in the yolks for one.

I'm not bothered that the chickens are fed grains, but I am bothered that they are most likely fed only that and nothing else. The chickens that lay the eggs I buy are probably raised in tiny cages where they never see sun light and are only fed grains. Humans are omnivores but that doesn't mean we can be healthy by eating one type of food and nothing else. Same applies to chickens (and the eggs they lay)

I see what you mean, during the winter months that problem occurs with pasture raised chickens in Europe as well. Chickens don't especially like snow, so depending on where you live even pasture raised chickens will stay inside (albeit not in cages) and get mostly grains to eat for a prolonged period of time.

Dre

Huh. I knew butter sometimes has turmeric or some other yellow dye added, but I did not know this was a custom with eggs as well.

That shows how fucked up the foods industry is. They'll try to deliberately deceive us everywhere they can, so they can maximize their profit.

Farmed salmons are also massively getting carotenoids as food supplements in order to get their "natural" color.

despire

I had a talk with a coach at my gym and we pretty much agreed the way to go for me was to just keep coming in and lifting like I mean it for strength, and then just keeping the diet on pace for body composition.

Right now I'm still losing weight no counting. Strength numbers are progressing up. If I plateau I will dial it in to be stricter, if that fails I'll go to counting and refeeds if I stall for too long.

Sounds good. I'm just worried that I'll lose strength if I deload and won't be able to progress any further than where I'm now..

Would be nice to see some examples from folks who have some experience in the gym, started paleo, didn't count any calories, just lifted normally (2-3x week, deloads and everything) and lost fat and made strength gains.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Man, that carb reset thing was delicious when I did it. But I felt gross the rest of the day. But hopefully, it kicks ketogenesis back into action.

I know I've probably gained some muscle which is why it looks like I'm regressing from my initial large weight loss.

mt1200

Last night I had a rosted beef combined with stir-fried vegetables for dinner.

For the salad I added bell peppers, onion, cabbage, soy sprouts, and carrots, all inside a Wok, and stir-fried it with some soy sauce, a pinch of dijon mustard, and sweet chili sauce ( damn sugar).

Are the stir-fried veggies allowed?. I used olive oil.

I'm finding this diet very expensive, berries and specially nuts are not cheap over here, so I had to buy peanuts :( .

BTW i'm having peanuts and berries for lunch these days, Is that fine with the diet?. I've noticed that I get sleepy after eating these fruits, I don't know if it's related to the sugar contents.

Dash27

Sounds good. I'm just worried that I'll lose strength if I deload and won't be able to progress any further than where I'm now..

Would be nice to see some examples from folks who have some experience in the gym, started paleo, didn't count any calories, just lifted normally (2-3x week, deloads and everything) and lost fat and made strength gains.

Yeah I'm tracking my progress now but that's exactly what I'm doing. Wendlers 5/3/1 I'm in my 5th month now. Started paleo a month or so ago. Strength numbers still going up, weight down to 191 from 202.

I took a few pics to track and for the eventual before/afters.

Goal is to get back to ~10% body fat and then go from there.

Dash27

For the salad I added bell peppers, onion, cabbage, soy sprouts, and carrots, all inside a Wok, and stir-fried it with some soy sauce, a pinch of dijon mustard, and sweet chili sauce ( damn sugar).

I'm finding this diet very expensive, berries and specially nuts are not cheap over here, so I had to buy peanuts :( .

BTW i'm having peanuts and berries for lunch these days, Is that fine with the diet?. I've noticed that I get sleepy after eating these fruits, I don't know if it's related to the sugar contents.

I would guess stir fry is fine but I honestly dont know. Peanuts are legumes and technically off the list. I think you're not supposed to eat too many nuts in general. At least I think I remember reading that from Mark Sisson.

What I end up doing is going to Costco or similar and buying Macadamia nuts and almonds. So much cheaper, but not sure where you are.

And yeah berries are super expensive now when they are not in season.

despire

Yeah I'm tracking my progress now but that's exactly what I'm doing. Wendlers 5/3/1 I'm in my 5th month now. Started paleo a month or so ago. Strength numbers still going up, weight down to 191 from 202.

I took a few pics to track and for the eventual before/afters.

Goal is to get back to ~10% body fat and then go from there.

What's your BF% now if I may ask? I'm currently around 18-20%.

SeanR1221

I think I'm gonna switch up breakfast. I always eat bacon and eggs, but I think I'll switch to grilled chicken and eggs. Cleaner, healthier and more protein.

dralla

Soy products and peanuts are not considered Paleo, and olive oil is not great for cooking, but the bigger issue is that you shouldn't be relying on nuts and berries as meals. They're snacks if you need them, not only are they expensive like you said, but they aren't as satiating as you'd want from a meal. What you could try is eating bigger meals so you don't need to snack, fill up on meat/veggies/healthy fats. If you're on a budget don't buy berries, way too expensive for the satiation you get from them, if you want them as a treat, buy them frozen to save lots of money.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well!

Looks like Fry already answered, basically yea, the brown rice does have more minerals but the phytates prevent mineral absorption to a certain degree. I wouldn't worry too much about it though honestly, get which you prefer, taste wise.

Yeah, I linked an article a few pages back that touches upon this...it basically said unless you're consuming mass amounts of rice this shouldn't matter.

Recipe question... I am making something that calls for 2 tablespoons of almond butter and 1 1/4 cup of almond flour. I had a brain fart while at the store, thought I had more almond flour but I don't. And I thought my wife bought some almond butter but she bought sunflower seed butter. I have tried Google but does anyone know if there is a huge difference in the two butters? Also, can I just use some white flour? I would assume I need to use a little less white flour than what the recipe calls to use of almond flour.

I am trying to make these dark chocolate cake type things, first "sweets" thing I have tried to make since starting the paleo diet a couple weeks ago. Lost 10 pounds so far and feel great.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I think I'm gonna switch up breakfast. I always eat bacon and eggs, but I think I'll switch to grilled chicken and eggs. Cleaner, healthier and more protein.

You need the fat. Especially in the AM.

SeanR1221

You guys might be over-exaggerating the importance of two pieces of bacon, especially when my diet is full of quite a bit of fat.

despire

Going over to a friends house tomorrow for the evening and since I'm only two weeks into my paleo lifestyle I decided it's not time to cheat yet. Especially since I'm trying to improve my asthma as well.

Anyways here's what I have planned to eat during the evening:
-Homemade paleo friendly pizza
-Salted pistachio nuts
-White wine for alcohol

Probably going to eat some chicken/eggs and lots of veggies for breakfast since my evening will be devoid of any veggies. At least the pizza has tons of protein in it. Also going to gulp a lot of fish oil in the morning :p

Still wondering what else I might bring since I doubt these will last me the whole day and evening. Any tips for snacks etc that might be good to accompany these?

FryHole

Going over to a friends house tomorrow for the evening and since I'm only two weeks into my paleo lifestyle I decided it's not time to cheat yet. Especially since I'm trying to improve my asthma as well.

Anyways here's what I have planned to eat during the evening:
-Homemade paleo friendly pizza
-Salted pistachio nuts
-White wine for alcohol

Probably going to eat some chicken/eggs and lots of veggies for breakfast since my evening will be devoid of any veggies. At least the pizza has tons of protein in it. Also going to gulp a lot of fish oil in the morning :p

Still wondering what else I might bring since I doubt these will last me the whole day and evening. Any tips for snacks etc that might be good to accompany these?

This might be a bit too much effort to go to for snacks, but I like to slow roast pork belly strips in salt, fennel and garlic - gas mark 3 for at least two hours. Cut that up into chunks, it's right tasty.

Dash27

Yesterday I bought free range pastured brown eggs. They definitely tasted great. They even looked richer when you crack them open. I was hoping they would be the same thing as my usual egglands best since they are expensive.

Breakfast:

001_zps99f7d976.jpg

dralla

cross-post from weightloss thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47429753&postcount=17938

--

Been trying to add turmeric and other spices into my diet.

Health benefits of turmeric
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-turmeric/#axzz2KR5c6D8Q

I grated some on my salmon tonight, it goes really well together. It's definitely not something you'd wanna put on everything, it has an interesting taste, but definitely recommended on fish.

Pyrokai

Man, I just read this thread up to page 5 (100 posts per page view) and I was determined to try read this thread from beginning to end, but it's just too long and I don't have enough time. Already dedicated a lot of hours to my initial research (primarily this thread). I was initially excited to start this diet, but seeing all the opposition and arguments against SOME of the things for paleo really made me reconsider some things.

Some questions:

1. I still don't understand which nuts are okay to eat and which aren't. Peanuts are excluded here, right? Are peanuts the only nut I should be avoiding? Almonds? A little confused, I'm afraid....

2. What about salt/sodium intake? Do I generally still want to try to keep my sodium low or should I try to slightly increase it? I'm guessing no...

3. Should I basically only use olive oil for cooking? What about canola oil? Grapeseed oil?

4. Can I still eat bananas even though berries are the fruit paleo calls for the most? What about mangos, pears, pineapples, etc?

5. I keep seeing the term "processed sugar". What exactly does this mean? Shouldn't I just avoid sugar altogether, or is there a form of it that's okay?

6. Processed lunch meat....how bad for someone looking for a paleo-lite diet?

7. This might be a really dumb question, but I know there is gluten-free "bread" out there. Does this bread contain any grains? I know....so stupid.........but I don't know.......

So, as of right now, I'm still basically confused as hell. Do you guys think the following is a good starting point?

1. Cut out all dairy, at least initially. I have a problem with acne on my back, and I think it might be dairy related. If I find it clears up, I'll reintroduce Greek yogurt and see where that gets me. I love Greek yogurt, so I hope it isn't what's causing my backne. Would greek yogurt as my only dairy be a bad thing? If yes, what kind of yogurt (if any) would be best? I know unpasteurized is key here.....but is unpasteurized yogurt even a thing?

2. Cut out MOST legumes. Definitely soy and such. Like......I think I'll only eat black beans because when I see articles like this where they say how good they are for you, it's hard to ignore.

3. Cut out all grains except rice. I think brown rice will be fine to eat. Agree/disagree?

4. Cut out all sugars except dark chocolate on rare occasions.....see my above question, though.

How does this sound? I'm definitely thinking a "Paleo-lite" diet is the better path for me. I'm sitting here with the Bulletproof Diet and Perfect Health Diet opened in two different tabs and debating between the two as a paleo substitute. I'd like to do this in conjunction with exercise, both cardio and strength-training. Any suggestions?

dralla

Man, I just read this thread up to page 5 and was determined to try read this thread from beginning to end, but it's just too long and I don't have enough time. Already dedicated a lot of hours to my initial research (primarily this thread). I was initially excited to start this diet, but seeing all the opposition and arguments against SOME of the things for paleo really made me reconsider some things.

Some questions:

1. I still don't understand which nuts are okay to eat and which aren't. Peanuts are excluded here, right? Are peanuts the only nut I should be avoiding? Almonds? A little confused, I'm afraid....
All nuts are OK to eat. Peanuts are not nuts, they're legumes. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia, and so on, all great for different reasons.

2. What about salt/sodium intake? Do I generally still want to try to keep my sodium low or should I try to slightly increase it? I'm guessing no...
You don't need to monitor your salt intake too heavily. If you have high blood pressure, you'll want to decrease salt and increase potassium. But if you have no BP problems, salt is nothing to be concerned about. In fact, in most cases, you'll want to increase salt intake. Eating this kind of diet will get rid of water weight, and electrolytes along with it. If you start to feel dizzy or lightheaded when you first start, try increasing salt intake.

3. Should I basically only use olive oil for cooking? What about canola oil? Grapeseed oil?
You'll be cooking with animal fats [butter, lard, ghee, bacon grease], tropical oils [coconut, red palm], and a few others [avocado, macadamia]. Olive oil is good for salad dressings, it's not a great cooking oil because of low smoke point.

4. Can I still eat bananas even though berries are the fruit paleo calls for the most? What about mangos, pears, pineapples, etc?
All fruits are permitted. It really depends on your goals or if you have a certain macro ratio you're trying to hit. If you're trying to lose weight or watch your sugar intake, you'll wanna stick to low sugar fruits.

5. I keep seeing the term "processed sugar". What exactly does this mean? Shouldn't I just avoid sugar altogether, or is there a form of it that's okay?
Avoid added sugars. Naturally occurring sugars in fruit/veggies/nuts/seeds/ect. are OK.

6. Processed lunch meat....how bad for someone looking for a paleo-lite diet?
It's not great, it's not the worst though. It lacks the healthy fats and nutrients of proper meats.

7. This might be a really dumb question, but I know there is gluten-free "bread" out there. Does this bread contain any grains? I know....so stupid.........but I don't know.......
The only grain-free bread I've seen is Paleo Bread by Julians Bakery, it's made with coconut flour or almond meal. The 'gluten' free breads still contain grains.

So, as of right now, I'm still basically confused as hell. Do you guys think the following is a good starting point?

1. Cut out all dairy, at least initially. I have a problem with acne on my back, and I think it might be dairy related. If I find it clears up, I'll reintroduce Greek yogurt and see where that gets me. I love Greek yogurt, so I hope it isn't what's causing my backne. Would greek yogurt as my only dairy be a bad thing? If yes, what kind of yogurt (if any) would be best? I know unpasteurized is key here.....but is unpasteurized yogurt even a thing?
Cutting out dairy when you first start is a good idea, than reintroduce it after a few weeks and see if anything changes. Butter is fine though.

2. Cut out MOST legumes. Definitely soy and such. Like......I think I'll only eat black beans because when I see articles like this where they say how good they are for you, it's hard to ignore.
Just because you see an article on something doesn't mean much. Most articles will tell you saturated fat is bad for you, which is complete BS. I would avoid legumes as a whole, with the exceptions of green beans and peas [sugar snap, snow, english]

3. Cut out all grains except rice. I think brown rice will be fine to eat. Agree/disagree?
Again, depends what your goals are and if you're looking to hit a certain maco ratio. Rice is considered one of the safer starches though.

4. Cut out all sugars except dark chocolate on rare occasions.....see my above question, though.
Yea, avoid added sugars for sure. Extra Dark Chocolate is a great 'treat'. I eat some every day.

How does this sound? I'm definitely thinking a "Paleo-lite" diet is the better path for me. I'm sitting here with the Bulletproof Diet and Perfect Health Diet opened in two different tabs and debating between the two as a paleo substitute. I'd like to do this in conjunction with exercise, both cardio and strength-training. Any suggestions?

Bulletproof and PHD are merely modified Paleo diets. Primal Blueprint is another. I've been Primal for a little over a year and love it! It's very similar to the PHD, less emphasis on starches, more on fats.

CrankyJay

Banned
Decided I'd try out an optional cheat day on the second saturday of a month. Had my first real pizza since starting this 2 months ago. It was fucking amazing.

I had pizza and wings last night for the first time in over a month and had to make way to the toilet immediately afterwards...I don't think the body was ready for that.

Dash27

Sounds like a good starting point to me. I would say dont over think it.

Eat: Meat, fish, fowl. Vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. Healthy fats like animal fats (from good quality food) olive oil, grass fed butter or clarified butter (ghee), coconut oil, avocados, tree nuts like macadamias, almonds, walnuts.

If you do the above you're eliminating sugar, they say processed sugar because you get into technicalities like fructose from fruit. Eliminate grains, especially refined grains like bread, pasta, pizza, bagels, cereal.

Those are really the two take aways I feel are critical to trying this: sugar, grains. The dairy for me was more of a trying to see how my body does without it.

despire

So I decided to take the dive and deloaded my main lifts today about to about 90%. Hopefully I'm able to get back to my previous PR's and then some and this won't turn into a case of muscle atrophy :p

Plan is to eat around my TDEE or however much I feel like I need. Hopefully my semi-skinnyfat body will take whatever else it needs from my gut and lovehandles and I'll lose fat and gain muscle from this. We'll see :)

The reason I deloaded is the fact that I've been stuck for so long with my current weights that it's pretty hard to just suddenly start going up. I need some momentum.

Dash27

Resetting if you plateau is normal but I'm not sure what the advice is if you stall while at a caloric deficit.

In other news: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhu...might-impact-contemporary-dietary-fat-debate/

One trial that actually tested the hypothesis was the Sydney Diet Heart Study, which ran from 1966 through 1973. In the trial, 458 men with coronary disease were randomized to a diet rich in linoleic acid (the predominant omega 6 PUFA in most diets) or their usual diet. Although total cholesterol was reduced by 13% in the treatment group during the study, all-cause mortality was higher in the linoleic acid group than in the control group. However, in the original publications, and consistent with the practice at the time, deaths from cardiovascular (CVD) and coronary heart disease (CHD) deaths were not published.

Now, in a new paper published in BMJ, Christopher Ramsden and colleagues report that they were able to recover and analyze data from the original magnetic tape of the Sydney Diet Heart Study. The new mortality findings are consistent:

All cause: 17.6% in the linoleic group versus 11.8% in the control group, HR 1.62, CI 1.00-2.64)
CV disease: 17.2% versus 11%, HR 1.70, CI 1.03-2.80
CHD: 16.3% versus 10.1%, HR 1.74, CI 1.04-2.92

The investigators then used this data to perform an updated meta-analysis and found similar but nonsignificant trends for overall mortality and for cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease mortality. They concluded that their findings “could have important implications for worldwide dietary advice to substitute” polyunsaturated fatty acids for saturated fatty acids.

In an accompanying editorial, Philip Calder agrees:

These findings argue against the “saturated fat bad, omega 6 PUFA good” dogma and suggest that the American Heart Association advisory that includes the statement “higher [than 10% of energy] intakes [of omega-6 PUFAs] appear to be safe and may be even more beneficial”may be misguided.

despire

Resetting if you plateau is normal but I'm not sure what the advice is if you stall while at a caloric deficit.

I know it's not normally recommended but I'm trying to eat a bit more for now so I wouldn't be on a deficit by my food intake. Maybe when I get back to my old numbers in a month or so I can go with a bigger deficit again if needed.

Mainly I'm just trying to gain some momentum here and I want to see if my body would tap into it's own fat stores for that extra energy that growing muscle needs. It's super hard to suddenly try to get going again with bigger poundages if you've stagnated for so long due to dieting..

Pyrokai

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm gonna start this gradually over the course of the next week or two. I have a good amount of food in my kitchen that I can't just throw away for the sake of starting this immediately. I'm on a strict budget so tossing out food is not something I can do easily, but starting with my next trip to the grocery store, I will buy only paleo-ish dishes.

I decided that other than the complete (initial) elimination of dairy, I'm not going to be TOO strict with this right off the bat until I have a firm grasp of what foods I can and cannot eat. I'm still learning and....like.....seriously....SO MUCH out there has some form of grain in in. I threw away a brand new bottle of Italian dressing because it contained high fructose corn syrup and soybean oil.

It's going to be tough, and I can definitely see myself accidentally eating things with wheat or something until I get a better understanding.

Side question: How about stevia for sweetening coffee and tea? That's what I've been using. Is that paleo? Following the flow chart--unless I'm reading it wrong--that shit will kill me! ;)

Edit: I'm really sorry for repeating questions asked by others already. I just realized the stevia question was asked quite a while ago. I can't catch everything :(

Pyrokai

Okay, cool. I also forgot to say that I'm actually not trying to lose much weight. I want to remain the same weight I am right now except I want the fat gone and replaced with muscle. I have some stubborn belly fat and fat on my rump I want to get rid of, but that's about it. Will this diet help me with that?

And what do you guys think about this book? I'm about to pull the trigger. Slow cooking with paleo foods seems like the best way to simplify meal preparation since I can just cook like 2 things in advance on a Sunday and get 4 meals or so out of it throughout the week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608693/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ChiTownBuffalo

I had a grass fed ribeye tonight. Noticed its not as we'll marbled as corn fed steak. But it was delicious.

GatorBait

Okay, cool. I also forgot to say that I'm actually not trying to lose much weight. I want to remain the same weight I am right now except I want the fat gone and replaced with muscle. I have some stubborn belly fat and fat on my rump I want to get rid of, but that's about it. Will this diet help me with that?

And what do you guys think about this book? I'm about to pull the trigger. Slow cooking with paleo foods seems like the best way to simplify meal preparation since I can just cook like 2 things in advance on a Sunday and get 4 meals or so out of it throughout the week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608693/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you are trying to lose some of that last stubborn fat, I would scale down your carbohydrate intake (after you eat some of the food in your house that you don't want to throw away). That includes decreasing/eliminating rice and beans, and potentially eliminating/decreasing fruits with higher amounts of sugar. When you hit your goals and move into more of a maintenance/muscle-building phase, that's when I would reintroduce more carbs. I'll steal an idea from the bulletproof diet - think of starchy, non-fruit/veggie carbs on a continuum:

Some non-fruit/veggie carbs are worse than others, but even with the "better" ones, you still don't want them to be an every day building block of your daily diet. Mark Sisson, the Primal Diet guy, puts some of these better starchy carbs on the "moderation foods" section of his food pyramid:

You'll find that paleo diets can be somewhat different from person to person. Personally, I have been sticking to an off-shoot of paleo that is marketed under the name "Primal Diet." I stick with paleo as pretty much my template, but I am more lenient with certain things (dairy, some store-bought/prepared items like dressings, etc. as long as the ingredients look reasonable).

A slow cooker is also great, in general, but very much so for paleo. You can make large quantities of lower-cost meals that fit into the diet, and best of all, you won't have to spend a ton of time preparing/cooking, which can make getting that initial momentum on a diet that much easier.

Pyrokai

You guys are really amazing to me. I read about 85% of this thread (skipped a few parts) and I'm overwhelmed with all the information I took in, and that doesn't even include the external resources and websites that aren't even included in the OP. It's so much. It's really a wake up call for me in that I really don't know much about what I'm putting into my body. So many scientific nuances that are completely foreign to me.

So let's start with this....what's the omega 6/3 thing? I know omega 3's are good for you. Primarily in fish, right? What are omega 6's now? They're bad for you?

What's the verdict on canola oil enhanced with omega 3's? I currently have a full bottle at home.

Also, definitely going to get coconut oil. Shit seems amazing.

So yeah, I'm going to be the really annoying guy until I get a firm grasp on all this stuff. I feel like I'm starting out at square zero. I'm really hoping you guys have been reading about this stuff for a lot more than a couple months :p

So yeah....thank you for being an awesome resource and a great go-to for trying to find my way with this. :)

GatorBait

I've been on this diet since January 1, and one of the most fun parts of it for me has been experimenting and trying new things. I have been picking up items/foods from the supermarket that I wouldn't have really considered prior to starting this diet.

In fact, I just went to Whole Foods a couple weeks ago and finally picked up some coconut oil, as well as some organic ghee (ghee is "clarified butter" - it's like butter on steriods to me. Such a fuller buttery taste compared to normal butter. You don't want to use it as a spread on anything, but for cooking, it is fantastic).

If you go out and buy some coconut oil, make sure you buy virgin or unrefined coconut oil.

Pyrokai

I normally have the following for lunch,

- Lettuce wrap (includes mustard, turkey/chicken/ham/salami, cheese)
- String Cheese
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Salad with some chopped carrots, a few croutons and ranch dressing
- Fruit (normally strawberries, sometimes an apple)
- Hardboiled Egg or Almonds

Anything particularly wrong with the fruit-at-the-bottom Chobani Greek yogurt?

Also, what kind of turkey, ham, etc. are you putting in those lettuce wraps? Is it typical lunch meat or is there another similarly priced option that isn't so processed?

It also kinda sucks that the nearest Traders Joe's from me is about a 45 minute drive. Not quite worth it. There's a local organic-y kind of grocery store nearby that I'll try out. I've never been to a Trader Joe's so I don't know how it compares. Same with Whole Foods. There isn't one close enough to where I live. There all up in Cleveland :(

Tomorrow I might just go to this market and buy a bunch of random paleo crap and see what I can put together during the week. I'll just buy some veggies, fish, and chicken, and some fruit and nuts to snack on.

Almond butter okay? I love bananas in peanut butter, but if I can't have peanuts I might as well try almond butter.

NomarTyme

You guys are really amazing to me. I read about 85% of this thread (skipped a few parts) and I'm overwhelmed with all the information I took in, and that doesn't even include the external resources and websites that aren't even included in the OP. It's so much. It's really a wake up call for me in that I really don't know much about what I'm putting into my body. So many scientific nuances that are completely foreign to me.

So let's start with this....what's the omega 6/3 thing? I know omega 3's are good for you. Primarily in fish, right? What are omega 6's now? They're bad for you?

What's the verdict on canola oil enhanced with omega 3's? I currently have a full bottle at home.

So yeah, I'm going to be the really annoying guy until I get a firm grasp on all this stuff. I feel like I'm starting out at square zero. I'm really hoping you guys have been reading about this stuff for a lot more than a couple months :p

So yeah....thank you for being an awesome resource and a great go-to for trying to find my way with this. :)

Omega 6 is bad if you eat a lot of stuff that is high in omega six, for instance food that uses seed oil like soy/corn. Also if you eat a lot of nuts can be high in omega 6. If you follow this then you should be fine.

I advise you to drop canola and start using butter(ghee is better) or coconut oil for cooking

Top Bottom