• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

dralla

Different populations are better adapted at certain kinds of foods. You can find populations who survived and were healthy on all meat diets and others on all starches. Asia consumes the lowest amount of sugar in the world. They also eat rice with veggies and meat, eat smaller portions, and eat much more seafood [which gives them a lot of added vitamins and minerals westerners are usually deficient in]. But recently, Asia has started to get more food from the West, and weight and diabetes have begun to rise.

--

Im interested in trying this.

I know the atkins diet works well, and this one seems similar in that carbs = bad. I mean, theres like 20 diets that say carbs = bad, and none that tells you to overload on carbs...so they must have something right.

Not sure on the rice thing though. Asian cultures eat shitloads of rice and do fine. Also, from my own experience, eating a bowl of pasta = bloat, while eating rice comes with no negative feelings. I also eat sushi once a week, and you need rice for that. I love sashimi, but theres got to be some balance...

Also not sure what to do about portable lunch. Sandwhich has always been my go-to.

This is not like the Atkins diet. Atkins diet is simply a low carb diet. Paleo is about food quality. No fake fake candy bars or breads because they're "low carb". Paleo is also not a low carb diet. You can eat plenty of carbs/starches, as long as they're coming from good sources. Don't demonize carbs as a whole, it would be no different than demonizing fat, and we all know that ended up..

FryHole

You can eat plenty of carbs/starches, as long as they're coming from good sources.

See this is what I wanted to see properly tested in a dietary trial. I'm of the opinion that paleo works as a really excellent carb-restricted diet, where significant bonus points are earned through food quality and the resulting satiety and health effects, but weight loss is likely to be primarily driven by carbohydrate restriction. Once you're off sugar and grains, it's actually bloody hard to eat high-carb. But this is complete conjecture and could be entirely wrong. So I'd be interested to see a test of high-starch paleo vs low-starch paleo vs low-carb (equivalent to low-starch paleo in carb count but no insistence on carb quality).

Don't demonize carbs as a whole, it would be no different than demonizing fat, and we all know that ended up..

Agree 100% with this. It's simultaneously encouraging and depressing to see headlines about the dangers of sugar combined with the usual suspects screaming that it must be regulated, taxed, banned - think of the children! Dietary advice has been wrong before, it'll be wrong again. People really should take a deep breath before they start making laws that affect what we eat.

CrankyJay

Banned
My first month done, with a cheat week where i went crazy thanks to the stress of a housemove.............
4.5kg lost, thats 10lb! Bodyfat scales says i've lost 2.2% bodyfat, and gained 4% muscle.
Thats with absolutely zero exercise too.

Holy fuck, way better than i expected.
Piss easy too, been eating great stuff, very few salads (ugh), never cut down on my booze intake either (again, thanks to moving stress).
Would have been way more lost if i did the HIIT sessions and quit drinking for a few nights a week, like i'd planned.

You probably didn't gain any muscle if you weren't strength training.

Further to my previous musing about coconut oil being available in Lidl or Aldi for us UK Gafers, I asked in Lidl when I popped in earlier. Apparently they sometimes get it in when they have an Asian themed weekly special but they don't stock it all the time. Given the bottles of other oils they still had left the coconut oil bottles are going to be pretty small so would be good for a trial to see how one gets on with it but useless if one is already convinced of the benefits of coconut oil and desires a bigger volume.

I'll update when I get round to popping in Aldi.

CrankyJay

Banned
Further to my previous musing about coconut oil being available in Lidl or Aldi for us UK Gafers, I asked in Lidl when I popped in earlier. Apparently they sometimes get it in when they have an Asian themed weekly special but they don't stock it all the time. Given the bottles of other oils they still had left the coconut oil bottles are going to be pretty small so would be good for a trial to see how one gets on with it but useless if one is already convinced of the benefits of coconut oil and desires a bigger volume.

I'll update when I get round to popping in Aldi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=

It is interesting people have brought up that rice is a main staple in many Asian countries, and that they can deal with it better because they are more adapted to that sort of diet.
There's definitely something to be gained by knowing your ancestry as a result of this, as you could more or less figure out if you are more/less adapted to eating a particular food.

That is still nothing more than a guideline though, as an individual with asian heritage might be ill-adapted to rice, and someone with no asian heritage might function quite well with it. So in the end, you still have to experiment a bit and find what works best for you.

Yes, thank you but as I mentioned in my huge wall of text post above, Amazon are on my retailer shit list so they won't be getting my pennies. One of their suppliers might though :).

It is interesting people have brought up that rice is a main staple in many Asian countries, and that they can deal with it better because they are more adapted to that sort of diet.
There's definitely something to be gained by knowing your ancestry as a result of this, as you could more or less figure out if you are more/less adapted to eating a particular food.

That is still nothing more than a guideline though, as an individual with asian heritage might be ill-adapted to rice, and someone with no asian heritage might function quite well with it. So in the end, you still have to experiment a bit and find what works best for you.

Indeed; suck it and see.

Dash27

May have mentioned this already but I really like coconut oil to cook with. At least for my screambled eggs they come out great. Smells good too!

dralla

My first month done, with a cheat week where i went crazy thanks to the stress of a housemove.............
4.5kg lost, thats 10lb! Bodyfat scales says i've lost 2.2% bodyfat, and gained 4% muscle.
Thats with absolutely zero exercise too.

Holy fuck, way better than i expected.
Piss easy too, been eating great stuff, very few salads (ugh), never cut down on my booze intake either (again, thanks to moving stress).
Would have been way more lost if i did the HIIT sessions and quit drinking for a few nights a week, like i'd planned.
Yes, another thing I tell people is if you're trying to lose weight, a Paleo style diet makes it relatively easy. No hunger, no starving yourself, eat till your full, lose weight.

See this is what I wanted to see properly tested in a dietary trial. I'm of the opinion that paleo works as a really excellent carb-restricted diet, where significant bonus points are earned through food quality and the resulting satiety and health effects, but weight loss is likely to be primarily driven by carbohydrate restriction. Once you're off sugar and grains, it's actually bloody hard to eat high-carb. But this is complete conjecture and could be entirely wrong. So I'd be interested to see a test of high-starch paleo vs low-starch paleo vs low-carb (equivalent to low-starch paleo in carb count but no insistence on carb quality).

Isn't that what everyone wants? Keep calories constant, change macro ratios and see how it effects weight loss? Unfortunately it'll never happen. Too much money, too hard to conrol all the variables. But what I was saying was more about health and the diet in general. If you're specifically trying to lose weight, than you're most definitely better off messing with macro ratios and see how it goes. Also, from a metabolic stand point, if you've been living off the SAD for a while, it's likely your body isn't functioning as efficient as it should be. Whether it be your hormones, digestion, cholesterol, blood pressure, ect. Cutting back on the carbs/starches when first starting is probably a good idea until your body adjusts and can properly handle them.

Speaking of, MDA just put up an article that talks about this a little..
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-things-people-assume-about-mark-sisson-that-are-wrong/#axzz2KneT0pIz

FryHole

Isn't that what everyone wants? Keep calories constant, change macro ratios and see how it effects weight loss? Unfortunately it'll never happen. Too much money, too hard to conrol all the variables

I do share your pessimism but such trials do happen, although in a shorter term than is ideal. This just popped up on my radar today - comparison of calorie restricted diets, high carb vs high protein, all food supplied prepacked, 6 month trial - high protein 'wins', it seems, although I can't access the full text.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/02/07/dc12-1912.abstract.html

That sort of thing is also apparently the ultimate aim of Taubes' new venture, NuSi, although it wasn't encouraging to see his new buddy, Attia, start touting supplements not long after it had been announced.

I do share your pessimism but such trials do happen, although in a shorter term than is ideal. This just popped up on my radar today - comparison of calorie restricted diets, high carb vs high protein, all food supplied prepacked, 6 month trial - high protein 'wins', it seems, although I can't access the full text.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/02/07/dc12-1912.abstract.html

That sort of thing is also apparently the ultimate aim of Taubes' new venture, NuSi, although it wasn't encouraging to see his new buddy, Attia, start touting supplements not long after it had been announced.

I think it's a result of high-protein diets being more conductive to muscle mass increase, even from menial tasks such as cleaning the house or moving around heavy boxes, which in turn result in an increased metabolism.

FryHole

I think it's a result of high-protein diets being more conductive to muscle mass increase, even from menial tasks such as cleaning the house or moving around heavy boxes, which in turn result in an increased metabolism.

Got my hands on the paper now. The weight loss wasn't significantly different, but it certainly looks like you're right on the metabolism effect - resting energy expenditure went from 1589 kcal to 1848 on HP, compared to 1576 to 1602. Not sure how metabolic rate links to the other cited beneficial effects, though - insulin sensitivity, beta cell function, inflammatory markers, oxidative stress, cardiovascular risk factors. My overall understanding of physiology is pretty weak, sadly.

I picked up a sirloin steak in Lidl earlier that was reduced to £3 and cooked it after my workout with some baby potatoes, roast spinach and brussels, fried red onion and garlic.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed food so much! The steak was orgasmic! They often have it reduced in their chiller cabinets in my local Lidl so I think I'm going to be making good use of my freezer! :)

Oh and thank you for those of you who have given the tip of roasting greens with olive oil, salt and pepper. This is now my favourite way of eating them and was a most successful use of the frozen greens I picked up the other day.

Whoops, sorry. =(

That's quite alright; your helpfulness was appreciated :).

dralla

All meat is good. Fattier cuts of mean are generally more nutritious because the fat holds so many nutrients. Lean cuts of meat are cheaper, so most people will stick to that if they're on a budget and get their fats from other sources.

Speaking of meat, the lamb chops are on sale again, 40% off! Gonna pick some more up tomorrow, I'm hype

NomarTyme

What's the stance on red meat? Should white meat/fish be preferred, and red meat only eaten sparingly?

I personally prefer beef for red meat since cows has a better omega 3/6 ratio. Also fish should all be a part of your diet too, like wild caught fish! once of twice a week should satisfy your fish oil intake.

OK, I'm just saying...

I rocked this way of eating with very light working out for a month, and kept it 90/10 - 80/20 weekly (odd weekend where I got buffalo wings and had a beer with my bros). I lost 5 lbs, but here's the kicker:

I fit jeans that are two sizes lower now. And for dudes that means inches so while I haven't lost weight, so to speak, I have slimmed down. At least in the hips/ass region. I think a heady combination of working out more and sticking with this might just yield the results I want in a year.

The immediate thing I want to cut is alcohol altogether (within reason). I like me a nightcap whether it's a cab or a diet coke and spiced rum. I'm thinking those should probably just be moved to the weekend. Also late night snacks. I keep them healthy, but if I start going to bed a little earlier, that's a couple of hundred extra calories that I cut on the daily.

Fuck, this is actually reasonable, not costly and somewhat tasty. Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts are ballin' ass tasty, plain baked chicken wings with a little salt/pepper/spice is filling and feels good to eat, sweet potatoes are, well, sweet and I'm not going to fake...almonds and pistachios are where it's at.

I'm NOT giving up a small amount of beans, though. I use them for my (pretty darn legitimate) paleo chili, and it's just not as substantial without them.

CrankyJay

Banned
OK, I'm just saying...

I rocked this way of eating with very light working out for a month, and kept it 90/10 - 80/20 weekly (odd weekend where I got buffalo wings and had a beer with my bros). I lost 5 lbs, but here's the kicker:

I fit jeans that are two sizes lower now. And for dudes that means inches so while I haven't lost weight, so to speak, I have slimmed down. At least in the hips/ass region. I think a heady combination of working out more and sticking with this might just yield the results I want in a year.

The immediate thing I want to cut is alcohol altogether (within reason). I like me a nightcap whether it's a cab or a diet coke and spiced rum. I'm thinking those should probably just be moved to the weekend. Also late night snacks. I keep them healthy, but if I start going to bed a little earlier, that's a couple of hundred extra calories that I cut on the daily.

Fuck, this is actually reasonable, not costly and somewhat tasty. Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts are ballin' ass tasty, plain baked chicken wings with a little salt/pepper/spice is filling and feels good to eat, sweet potatoes are, well, sweet and I'm not going to fake...almonds and pistachios are where it's at.

I'm NOT giving up a small amount of beans, though. I use them for my (pretty darn legitimate) paleo chili, and it's just not as substantial without them.

Well, 5 lbs of fat takes up way more room than 5 lbs of lean muscle.

Dash27

OK, I'm just saying...

Nice. Yeah i'm pretty convinced body composition is overwhelmingly diet. I absolutely wholeheartedly endorse exercise, but when it comes to how much fat / lean mass you carry it's all about the food.

Nice. Yeah i'm pretty convinced body composition is overwhelmingly diet. I absolutely wholeheartedly endorse exercise, but when it comes to how much fat / lean mass you carry it's all about the food.

Yeah exercise needs to happen more. I've recently started just doing things in place when I can. A baby and a 3 y/o energetic boy take up time, and trying to find an hour to work out just isn't reasonable.

So, pushups in the morning/night, squats in the morning/when I'm carrying the baby. Added weight, and at least I'm not on my ass. Add that in with the occasional gift hour and it's working, but if I want to be better I've got to do more. I ain't even mad about that.

despire

Robb Wolf tweeted an info packed article yesterday, from a cardiac surgeon, about the great sat fat lie, thats probably killed millions by promoting shitty food.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html

I watched the presentation the other day but interesting nonetheless..

This picture was pretty interesting and explicit:

human-diet-history.gif

Pyrokai

The stuff you bought is just fine. I'm still going to nit-pick just for instructive reasons:

- Beef and lamb are usually better than pork meat due to the fact that they contain potentially less PUFAs.
- If you bought the oranges for their vitamin C content, consider that broccoli, spinach, bell pepper, brussels sprout and even strawberries have higher doses of it per 100g. The foods industry may want you to believe that oranges are the go-to-fruit for vitamin C, but actually that's not the case.
- Sausages are often filled with disgusting stuff like meat leftovers/preservatives/fillers and can be highly processed like bologna and salami. You don't want them to become your main source for protein, lean cuts of meat are better suited for that.
- Compared to other fish tilapia is relatively high in omega 6. Salmon, herring, mackerel, tuna, swordfish, halibut, cod or trout would be better alternatives.
- Green beans are legumes so technically not paleo, but just like fresh peas they are considered as one of the better choices of legumes and thus acceptable.

Regarding lunch, roasted/grilled veggies and meat, quality cheese, smoked fish, full-fat yogurt, fruits/vegetables that can be eaten raw, canned seafood, jerkys and nuts are the typical things you can eat on the go or put in Tupperware to eat them at work.

Nuts are regarded as snacks, you don't want them to become your main source of calories, macadamias are the best due to their low omega 6 content, but almonds, pistachios, cashews and hazelnuts are fine as well.
IIRC nuts which are roasted should be the same nutrition-wise a raw nuts, just try to avoid those roasted in peanut oil of course.

I hope I didn't put you off with my post, if that's the case it definitely wasn't my intention. I merely just wanted to give you some advice for the future. Like I said your choices are fine, you are already doing the right thing if you avoid grains and processed sugar in your diet and that's the main thing!

Not at all! This is exactly the kind of critiquing I'm looking for and this was extremely helpful. Some follow up questions, though.

I know Chobani was out...but....I don't even know what KIND of full fat yogurt I could get yet alone how it tastes. Greek yogurt was hard enough for me to warm up to, but now I love Chobani. How bad would it be if I kept this in my diet? Remember, I'm only going for the 80/20 adherence and the most important thing I want to cut is grain and excess sugar.....even though Chobani has it :p

The lunch recommendations are extremely helpful. Hardest meal for me by far. Keep 'em postin', guys!

Have been busy but wanted to check in. Haven't read all the posts since I started posting in this thread yet but here is what I've eaten so far in my 1.5 days of my paleo-ish diet. ANY RECCOMENDATIONS are welcome. I'm still new and I know I'm doing some things wrong (for instance, I think I'm eating too much fruit and not eating enough, but I'm not entirely hungry and paleo breakfast foods aren't my favorite :p). Remember, I'm going for paleo-ish, not pure paleo.

Yesterday's breakdown:

Breakfast: 2 bananas
Lunch: raw salmon sushi, very very little soy sauce, no cream cheese
Dinner: chicken tenderloin, 1/4 lb. piece of salmon, broccoli sauteed in butter, and 2 hard boiled egges
Snacks: Almonds, pistachio, peanuts nut mix. I didn't eat the peanuts but then I saw that they were cooked in peanut oil. Fail on day 1. Also, I had 2 blackberries and 2 strawberries

Today's breakdown so far:
Breakfast: 1 banana, 1 orange
Lunch: 2 hardboiled eggs, an apple, another banana, and that same nut mix
Planned dinner: Pork chop with carmelized onions on top and some seasonings. Not sure best method to cook the pork yet though.....

What do you think? Rip my diet apart!!

CrankyJay

Banned
Yesterday's breakdown:

Dinner: chicken tenderloin, 1/4 lb. piece of salmon, broccoli sauteed in butter, and 2 hard boiled egges
Snacks: Almonds, pistachio, peanuts nut mix. I didn't eat the peanuts but then I saw that they were cooked in peanut oil. Fail on day 1. Also, I had 2 blackberries and 2 strawberries

Planned dinner: Pork chop with carmelized onions on top and some seasonings. Not sure best method to cook the pork yet though.....

Alright...

I would ditch the bananas in the morning. They're sugary and people are insulin sensitive in the mornings. Do you have time to make bacon/eggs with a green vegetable in the morning?

Limit your lunch to 1 piece of fruit, get some more green veggies in there and a protein...chicken, beef, pork, or seafood.

Pork...I pan sear mine a couple minutes on each side in coconut oil or ghee and then bake it off in the oven until it reaches 145...

Those are just my suggestions. I think your overrall diet can use less fruit and way more green veggies and protein and healthy fats.

Dash27

Yeah exercise needs to happen more. I've recently started just doing things in place when I can. A baby and a 3 y/o energetic boy take up time, and trying to find an hour to work out just isn't reasonable.

So, pushups in the morning/night, squats in the morning/when I'm carrying the baby. Added weight, and at least I'm not on my ass. Add that in with the occasional gift hour and it's working, but if I want to be better I've got to do more. I ain't even mad about that.

Ha yes I completely understand, I have a 9 month old daughter and 4 year old energetic boy :)

It's tough to find the time!

Dash27

I watched the presentation the other day but interesting nonetheless..

This picture was pretty interesting and explicit:

human-diet-history.gif

I've seen a lot of debate on this one. I'm still staying open minded on if they ate mostly meat or mostly something else. Definitely an interesting subject though.

Dre

Not at all! This is exactly the kind of critiquing I'm looking for and this was extremely helpful. Some follow up questions, though.

I know Chobani was out...but....I don't even know what KIND of full fat yogurt I could get yet alone how it tastes. Greek yogurt was hard enough for me to warm up to, but now I love Chobani. How bad would it be if I kept this in my diet? Remember, I'm only going for the 80/20 adherence and the most important thing I want to cut is grain and excess sugar.....even though Chobani has it :p

The lunch recommendations are extremely helpful. Hardest meal for me by far. Keep 'em postin', guys!

Have been busy but wanted to check in. Haven't read all the posts since I started posting in this thread yet but here is what I've eaten so far in my 1.5 days of my paleo-ish diet. ANY RECCOMENDATIONS are welcome. I'm still new and I know I'm doing some things wrong (for instance, I think I'm eating too much fruit and not eating enough, but I'm not entirely hungry and paleo breakfast foods aren't my favorite :p). Remember, I'm going for paleo-ish, not pure paleo.

Yesterday's breakdown:

You seem to lack any substantial amounts of fat in the morning. You will need to fix that or else you'll feel very tired early during the day (you will adapt to fat as energy source and won't have to rely on carbs). It may sound weird but a nice bowl of guacamole (really easy to do!) would be a great and hassle-free addition to your breakfast, since it's entirely made of raw ingredients with a respectable shelf life.

Can't help you with the chobani though, I'm not into yogurt that much. My dairy consumption is restricted to feta, Irish cheddar and occasional bull mozzarella.

Ryck

Been lurking this thread for over a month, SO much good information here. I haven't gone full Paleo but I have been using a lot of the tips and information to help me along on my diet. Today is the end of one month and I have lost about 14 pounds, first two weeks were murder but now I feel so damn comfortable and happy, got my meals down and I never feel hungry unless I actually need something, whereas before I felt like I was addicted to certain foods.

I tried to go no carb but it was causing me some weird issues, so far I have been pretty much low carb ( about 50g of carbs a day). I notice whenever I go zero carb ( not counting veggies and fruits) I get a weird kind of pulse ( throbbing, aching) in my lower left back. Looking up online I notice that is the region my kidney's are in so I got kinda freaked out a bit. I have read some things that say the low carbs/ketosis can cause kidney problems and I have some things that say it's completely unrelated.

So I was wondering if anyone here can shine some light on this, but mostly I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for their contributions and information. I feel like I am in control of this and it feels really good to do something healthy and not feel like it's a struggle.

FryHole

I notice whenever I go zero carb ( not counting veggies and fruits) I get a weird kind of pulse ( throbbing, aching) in my lower left back. Looking up online I notice that is the region my kidney's are in so I got kinda freaked out a bit. I have read some things that say the low carbs/ketosis can cause kidney problems and I have some things that say it's completely unrelated.

So I was wondering if anyone here can shine some light on this, but mostly I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for their contributions and information. I feel like I am in control of this and it feels really good to do something healthy and not feel like it's a struggle.

What's the reasoning behind the kidney warnings you've seen? I've read speculation that low carb might cause kidney problems through excess protein intake, but done right low carb is more about fat than protein. In any case, there doesn't seem to be much evidence to it (long term low carb studies - two years - don't report any such issues that I'm aware of).

What I would say is that I've heard anecdotes that going low carb can cause asymptomatic kidney stones to start grumbling - they apparently start to reduce in size on low carb, which is a good thing in theory, but means they can get small enough to start moving. I'll see if I can dig anything out on this, and I hope I've not worried you!

Ryck

What's the reasoning behind the kidney warnings you've seen? I've read speculation that low carb might cause kidney problems through excess protein intake, but done right low carb is more about fat than protein. In any case, there doesn't seem to be much evidence to it (long term low carb studies - two years - don't report any such issues that I'm aware of).

What I would say is that I've heard anecdotes that going low carb can cause asymptomatic kidney stones to start grumbling - they apparently start to reduce in size on low carb, which is a good thing in theory, but means they can get small enough to start moving. I'll see if I can dig anything out on this, and I hope I've not worried you!
When I described the pain to my wife she said it was stones ( as she has had them before ). So I was already considering that to be a possibility. Thank you for the info, look forward to what you find.

FryHole

When I described the pain to my wife she said it was stones ( as she has had them before ). So I was already considering that to be a possibility. Thank you for the info, look forward to what you find.

OK, I've no idea about the quality of the diet they're talking about here, but 1 in 20 kids getting stones when on a long term keto diet for epilepsy control is pretty huge - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17621514?dopt=AbstractPlus

However, if you've only been at it a short time I'd be amazed if you'd developed brand new stones due to the diet that have got big enough to cause problems. This is the thing I'd read previously - it's a blog run by a guy who eats very high fat, but not ketotic. I like him, seems like a very smart guy, but take a standard issue something-some-guy-on-the-internet-said warning nonetheless. All very speculative, his basic theory goes that magnesium is lost when you're hyperglycemic (ie high carb and can't handle it), which leaves you prone to calcium stones. Restoration of normoglycemia then induces the dissolution of the stones, and problems ensue. But in this theory, the stones were already there, low carb just set them free!

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/there-have-been-comments-from-two.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14596324

Pyrokai

Alright guys, some replies to things some of you said to me as well as some thoughts on things now that I'm about 4 days into this. At times, I think it's just way too hard to do and I get really discouraged and I'm just 3-4 days in. More on that in a bit. Wall of text incoming :p

You seem to lack any substantial amounts of fat in the morning. You will need to fix that or else you'll feel very tired early during the day (you will adapt to fat as energy source and won't have to rely on carbs). It may sound weird but a nice bowl of guacamole (really easy to do!) would be a great and hassle-free addition to your breakfast, since it's entirely made of raw ingredients with a respectable shelf life.

Can't help you with the chobani though, I'm not into yogurt that much. My dairy consumption is restricted to feta, Irish cheddar and occasional bull mozzarella.

Thanks for the guac tip....but....does this have a lot of saturated fat? I thought I was looking for fat. Maybe I'm crazy but I can't link avocados and bacon to being the same. What exactly am I missing here?

Alright...

I would ditch the bananas in the morning. They're sugary and people are insulin sensitive in the mornings. Do you have time to make bacon/eggs with a green vegetable in the morning?

Limit your lunch to 1 piece of fruit, get some more green veggies in there and a protein...chicken, beef, pork, or seafood.

Pork...I pan sear mine a couple minutes on each side in coconut oil or ghee and then bake it off in the oven until it reaches 145...

Those are just my suggestions. I think your overrall diet can use less fruit and way more green veggies and protein and healthy fats.

Thanks. I've discovered that this is harder than I thought. I'm really trying, and it can be discouraging because I am spending 90% of my already limited free-time in the kitchen trying to get meals together. It doesn't help that fat and lard and animal fat in general really grosses me out, and I'm not too big on veggies, either. I'm hoping my palette will change, but as of right now I feel like I'm shoving food down my throat for the sake of the diet. I've never eaten so much meat :|

I'm hoping this is the case. I'm not fat by any means, but I know that I have a mis-proportioned body by having fat on around my waist and rump and not much muscle. I'm hoping this diet will get me going to the gym again and trying to remedy it with a little more ease than if I were simply restricting calories.

I'm still not a fan of eating fat on beef, bacon, and the like, but i don't go checking labels anymore for sat fat content and reject it if high.
Takes some getting used to, to not be scared of fat.

Yep. Like I mentioned above, it's so indoctrinated in me that saturated fat is bad for me that it's still hard to swallow (literally). This morning I made bacon, and one of the pieces had a really fatty spot on it. I tried to eat it and almost gagged. Maybe it just wasn't done yet, but....gross. I mean, I love bacon, but not that.

Overall, I've decided that it's easier for me to take this one step at a time. Right now, I'm focusing on completely cutting out grains, sugar, and things with added sugar with a few exceptions. I'm still eating dairy but I'm going for fattier dairy with fewer carbs/less added sugar. Full-fat yogurt is so hard to find, and frankly scares me a little bit (it's a texture thing). I'm also avoiding legumes and things with any kind of soy added. I'm trying to increase my protein/fat intake appropriately with high quality foods. But this is extremely pricey. I know you guys have talked a little bit about price, but I haven't looked into it too much, but in 4 days I've already spent about $70 on food. Granted, I'm trying to stock up a little bit, but I'll burn through most of this stuff within the next week and don't feel like I even have everything I need yet for cooking.

So in summary, the only things I'm currently bending on are dairy and rice. I've only had rice once since I started, but I'm skinny enough that I think I'll be okay eating rice. For dairy I'm going to slowly work it out of my diet (or at least restrict it more with fattier options) rather than cut it out cold-turkey like I did wheat and sugar.

By the way.....the time I had rice was a time I had to go to Chipotle simply because I had no time to cook. What's the take on this place? I remember Dash saying it was a place he went for a cheat meal. But holy crap, if this is cheating I'm probably screwed. I thought everything in what I ordered fit into Paleo save the rice. What's wrong with the following order except the rice? -----Burrito bowl, brown rice, tomato salsa, carnitas (has most fat I think), sour cream (isn't this fatty dairy?), fajitas (peppers and onions for veggies), and lettuce. Is this REALLY cheating? Chipotle uses high quality food. Just wondering what you guys thought.

So, I keep wondering if I can keep this up forever, and it's only day four. I want to be as healthy as I can be, but a lot of this food just isn't that great to me. I already miss so much food that I view as never being able to eat again, and it makes me really sad. I know there are variations of the diet that I need to look into to see if there is one that fits me better than straight-up Paleo, but.....I need some encouragement I think. I'm taking a LOT in all at once. Not only am I doing this, but I'm trying to teach myself to cook as well. I've only dabbled before, but now I'm really trying to cook and it's just a LOT....

Now I need to figure out what I want/can make for lunch. I'm thinking leftover carrots roasted in olive oil from last night, a smoothie (made of kale, broccoli, couple strawberry and blackberries, and water as my liquid base....would 100% carrot juice be an okay juice to have on Paleo....I know fruit juices are out....), and some kind of piece of meat. I have some frozen turkey burgers I made fry in butter....but I had that last night. What do you guys think?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Does anyone here eat a spoonful of coconut oil or MCT in the morning?

I've been doing it and it seems to be helping.

FryHole

Thanks for the guac tip....but....does this have a lot of saturated fat? I thought I was looking for fat. Maybe I'm crazy but I can't link avocados and bacon to being the same. What exactly am I missing here?

Avocado fat is mostly monounsaturated, with a small amount of saturated and pufa. Overall, about 3/4 of the calories in avocados are fat calories
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2

It doesn't help that fat and lard and animal fat in general really grosses me out, and I'm not too big on veggies, either. I'm hoping my palette will change, but as of right now I feel like I'm shoving food down my throat for the sake of the diet. I've never eaten so much meat :|

Butter is by far the most palatable saturated fat, IMO - I recommend putting it on everything! It tastes fantastic and melts nicely so you'd hardly know it was there.

So, I keep wondering if I can keep this up forever, and it's only day four. I want to be as healthy as I can be, but a lot of this food just isn't that great to me. I already miss so much food that I view as never being able to eat again, and it makes me really sad.

Don't stop looking and experimenting - if there's one thing all dietary advice agrees on, from the low fat to the low carb to the vegans, it's that the most successful diet is the one you can stick to long term.

Now I need to figure out what I want/can make for lunch. I'm thinking leftover carrots roasted in olive oil from last night, a smoothie (made of kale, broccoli, couple strawberry and blackberries, and water as my liquid base....would 100% carrot juice be an okay juice to have on Paleo....I know fruit juices are out....), and some kind of piece of meat. I have some frozen turkey burgers I made fry in butter....but I had that last night. What do you guys think?

Turkey burger fried in butter sounds awesome to me. I would roast the carrots and broccoli in butter, fry the kale in the fat left from the turkey burgers, then have the strawberries and blackberries for dessert. Water to drink. I would put the olive oil back in the cupboard, but then I don't like that much :)

Piecake

Overall, I've decided that it's easier for me to take this one step at a time. Right now, I'm focusing on completely cutting out grains, sugar, and things with added sugar with a few exceptions. I'm still eating dairy but I'm going for fattier dairy with fewer carbs/less added sugar. Full-fat yogurt is so hard to find, and frankly scares me a little bit (it's a texture thing). I'm also avoiding legumes and things with any kind of soy added. I'm trying to increase my protein/fat intake appropriately with high quality foods. But this is extremely pricey. I know you guys have talked a little bit about price, but I haven't looked into it too much, but in 4 days I've already spent about $70 on food. Granted, I'm trying to stock up a little bit, but I'll burn through most of this stuff within the next week and don't feel like I even have everything I need yet for cooking.

So in summary, the only things I'm currently bending on are dairy and rice. I've only had rice once since I started, but I'm skinny enough that I think I'll be okay eating rice. For dairy I'm going to slowly work it out of my diet (or at least restrict it more with fattier options) rather than cut it out cold-turkey like I did wheat and sugar.

By the way.....the time I had rice was a time I had to go to Chipotle simply because I had no time to cook. What's the take on this place? I remember Dash saying it was a place he went for a cheat meal. But holy crap, if this is cheating I'm probably screwed. I thought everything in what I ordered fit into Paleo save the rice. What's wrong with the following order except the rice? -----Burrito bowl, brown rice, tomato salsa, carnitas (has most fat I think), sour cream (isn't this fatty dairy?), fajitas (peppers and onions for veggies), and lettuce. Is this REALLY cheating? Chipotle uses high quality food. Just wondering what you guys thought.

So, I keep wondering if I can keep this up forever, and it's only day four. I want to be as healthy as I can be, but a lot of this food just isn't that great to me. I already miss so much food that I view as never being able to eat again, and it makes me really sad. I know there are variations of the diet that I need to look into to see if there is one that fits me better than straight-up Paleo, but.....I need some encouragement I think. I'm taking a LOT in all at once. Not only am I doing this, but I'm trying to teach myself to cook as well. I've only dabbled before, but now I'm really trying to cook and it's just a LOT....

Dairy is fine if you can tolerate it and rice is okay. I wouldnt worry about it. Personally, I have sort of shifted my diet from primal (no grain and no sugar) to no gluten and sugar and I havent noticed a difference at all. I really don't eat rice, but have been eating potatoes now, and those dont give me the disgusting, bloated feeling that wheat does

You will get used to full fat yogurt. I would recommend simply eating full fat, plain greek yogurt. By far the best, and once you get used to the texture, you'll wonder why the hell you ever ate that soupy, sugary yogurt bile. I seriously find non-greek yogurt disgusting now.

As for rice, once or twice a week isnt going to kill you.

The problem with juicing is that you will eat a lot more and get less full off of it. Its not a good choice

FryHole

Does anyone here eat a spoonful of coconut oil or MCT in the morning?

I've been doing it and it seems to be helping.

I had the weirdest experience with coconut oil the first time I tried it - ate a spoonful, then roasted some potatoes in it. A few hours later I had a surge in energy and ended up going out for a run at 10pm, just felt so pent up I needed to do something.

Only happened that one time, mind, I don't much bother with it these days.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey guys what can I replace beans with in a recipe?

edit: Maybe sweet potato.

And am I the only one who can't find coconut oil in stores?:|

Anyone had banana pancakes?

Yeah, it's not really low-carb, but it does fit the Paleo-bill it seems.
Just mix up 2 eggs with one medium-sized banana, and pour it into a frying pan (with some coconut oil or ghee).

Delicious, and no flour!

Just mix up 2 eggs with one medium-sized banana, and pour it into a frying pan (with some coconut oil or ghee).

Delicious, and no flour!

Yeah I tried that a couple of months back. Me and my nephew really liked them.

Pyrokai

Dairy is fine if you can tolerate it and rice is okay. I wouldnt worry about it. Personally, I have sort of shifted my diet from primal (no grain and no sugar) to no gluten and sugar and I havent noticed a difference at all. I really don't eat rice, but have been eating potatoes now, and those dont give me the disgusting, bloated feeling that wheat does

You will get used to full fat yogurt. I would recommend simply eating full fat, plain greek yogurt. By far the best, and once you get used to the texture, you'll wonder why the hell you ever ate that soupy, sugary yogurt bile. I seriously find non-greek yogurt disgusting now.

As for rice, once or twice a week isnt going to kill you.

The problem with juicing is that you will eat a lot more and get less full off of it. Its not a good choice

Even as a liquid base for a smoothie it would be bad? I'm talking only carrot juice, not a fruit juice. Water just doesn't work well for smoothies....and I love smoothies. Or used to. Something else I'm going to miss......sigh.....

Oh, and I DO like Greek yogurt, but I have always had Chobani, which isn't full-fat. What brand is common that makes plain full-fat Greek yogurt?

Also, question: You said you went from Primal to a no gluten/no sugar diet. Do you still try to get a ton of saturated fats?

Avocado fat is mostly monounsaturated, with a small amount of saturated and pufa. Overall, about 3/4 of the calories in avocados are fat calories
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2

Soooo......is monounsaturated just as good as saturated? All these types of fats are confusing to me. I just know that if I follow Paleo, I need saturated fats.....which leads me to a question: If you DO have some kind of wheat-based carbs in the same meal you have saturated fat, does that make any health benefit of the saturated fat null because your insulin will go up? Does the same thing happen whether you're on Paleo or any other diet? [Edit -- Basically this: If someone were to half-ass the paleo diet and only eat paleo 50% of the time, would there be any benefit at all, or would it actually be unhealthy because the extra saturated fat can't be used properly because of the refined carbs? Hope this makes sense]

Butter is by far the most palatable saturated fat, IMO - I recommend putting it on everything! It tastes fantastic and melts nicely so you'd hardly know it was there.

My favorite way to have veggies is steamed, which kinda sucks. I hate putting butter on my veggies (the ones I like, at least). I always want to eat them plainly steamed with seasonings. I bought some ghee today (expensive!!! but I bought it because coconut oil was even more out of this world-high in price)

Another side question: Let's say I'm doing paleo and following everything perfectly EXCEPT not getting enough saturated fats from fatty dairy, butter, etc. What effects will this have?

Don't stop looking and experimenting - if there's one thing all dietary advice agrees on, from the low fat to the low carb to the vegans, it's that the most successful diet is the one you can stick to long term.

What exactly do you mean here? Paleo is a diet I don't think I really particularly enjoy eating, I just want the health benefits. Are you saying I should seek some other kind of diet?

Also, FryHole, how do you feel in particular about legumes?

Turkey burger fried in butter sounds awesome to me. I would roast the carrots and broccoli in butter, fry the kale in the fat left from the turkey burgers, then have the strawberries and blackberries for dessert. Water to drink. I would put the olive oil back in the cupboard, but then I don't like that much :)

I did this! Except my carrots were leftovers so they already had the olive oil. I like olive oil a lot! The butter I have is kinda.....meh. Can butter taste different depending on brand and stuff? Also, there actually wasn't much fat left over for the kale, but I still did it. I don't think I let the kale cook long enough but it was starting to burn in some spots. Probably too high of a temperature. But I seriously felt like I was eating leaves I picked off my trees. I put salt and pepper on it at least :p

Again, I appreciate everything!!!!!!! I'd be lost without you guys right now.

dralla

Alright guys, some replies to things some of you said to me as well as some thoughts on things now that I'm about 4 days into this. At times, I think it's just way too hard to do and I get really discouraged and I'm just 3-4 days in. More on that in a bit. Wall of text incoming :p

Thanks. I've discovered that this is harder than I thought. I'm really trying, and it can be discouraging because I am spending 90% of my already limited free-time in the kitchen trying to get meals together. It doesn't help that fat and lard and animal fat in general really grosses me out, and I'm not too big on veggies, either. I'm hoping my palette will change, but as of right now I feel like I'm shoving food down my throat for the sake of the diet. I've never eaten so much meat :|

I'm hoping this is the case. I'm not fat by any means, but I know that I have a mis-proportioned body by having fat on around my waist and rump and not much muscle. I'm hoping this diet will get me going to the gym again and trying to remedy it with a little more ease than if I were simply restricting calories.

Yep. Like I mentioned above, it's so indoctrinated in me that saturated fat is bad for me that it's still hard to swallow (literally). This morning I made bacon, and one of the pieces had a really fatty spot on it. I tried to eat it and almost gagged. Maybe it just wasn't done yet, but....gross. I mean, I love bacon, but not that.

Yea, the saturated fat thing takes some time getting used to. It's been beaten into our minds how bad it is for you, it's hard to believe how good it is. It's great for energy [the body stores excess fat as saturated fat, think about that? Why would the body store something that is harmful to us? It wouldn't, it's because it's the most efficient form of energy for the body to use.], it's great for your horomones like testosterone, it's great for satiation, for cell repair [every cell in the body is covered in a membrane made up of primarily saturated fat.]

You're not really 'bending' any of the rules with diary, it's fine if it has no adverse effects. I know if I eat too much of it, I break out, so I eat it in moderation. For full-fat greek yogurt, Fage Total, it's sold in most stores around here. It's very thick and sour, you may need to sweeten it with berries or stevia if you aren't used to it.

Rice is not a bad option if you're active. Think of it like a non-nutritious starch. Both starches and dairy though, can still weight loss. I consider them more maintenance foods.

The problem with Chipotle is that they're meat and veggies are cooked in soybean oil, this stuff is the worst of the worst, do not eat it very often.

And honestly, if you feel that deprived and know you can't keep up this way of eating, check out different variations, don't set yourself up for failure. Have you seen the Perfect Health Diet? It's similar to the Primal Blueprint with a bigger emphasis on safe statches and less on fat. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

1/4 teaspoon.
The fuck? That's basically nothing, 1-2 tablespoons for me.

Delicious, and no flour!
I've got a banana sitting here, not sure if I should make banana pancakes or grain-free oatmeal with it tomorrow, decisions!

Even as a liquid base for a smoothie it would be bad? I'm talking only carrot juice, not a fruit juice. Water just doesn't work well for smoothies....and I love smoothies. Or used to. Something else I'm going to miss......sigh.....

Oh, and I DO like Greek yogurt, but I have always had Chobani, which isn't full-fat. What brand is common that makes plain full-fat Greek yogurt?

Also, question: You said you went from Primal to a no gluten/no sugar diet. Do you still try to get a ton of saturated fats?

Soooo......is monounsaturated just as good as saturated? All these types of fats are confusing to me. I just know that if I follow Paleo, I need saturated fats.....which leads me to a question: If you DO have some kind of wheat-based carbs in the same meal you have saturated fat, does that make any health benefit of the saturated fat null because your insulin will go up? Does the same thing happen whether you're on Paleo or any other diet? [Edit -- Basically this: If someone were to half-ass the paleo diet and only eat paleo 50% of the time, would there be any benefit at all, or would it actually be unhealthy because the extra saturated fat can't be used properly because of the refined carbs? Hope this makes sense]

My favorite way to have veggies is steamed, which kinda sucks. I hate putting butter on my veggies (the ones I like, at least). I always want to eat them plainly steamed with seasonings. I bought some ghee today (expensive!!! but I bought it because coconut oil was even more out of this world-high in price)

Another side question: Let's say I'm doing paleo and following everything perfectly EXCEPT not getting enough saturated fats from fatty dairy, butter, etc. What effects will this have?

What exactly do you mean here? Paleo is a diet I don't think I really particularly enjoy eating, I just want the health benefits. Are you saying I should seek some other kind of diet?

Also, FryHole, how do you feel in particular about legumes?

I did this! Except my carrots were leftovers so they already had the olive oil. I like olive oil a lot! The butter I have is kinda.....meh. Can butter taste different depending on brand and stuff? Also, there actually wasn't much fat left over for the kale, but I still did it. I don't think I let the kale cook long enough but it was starting to burn in some spots. Probably too high of a temperature. But I seriously felt like I was eating leaves I picked off my trees. I put salt and pepper on it at least :p

Again, I appreciate everything!!!!!!! I'd be lost without you guys right now.
For smoothies, use coconut milk as a base. It's great tasting and incredible healthy, the MCT's will give you a nice boost of energy.

You shouldn't beat yourself up too much with different types of fats. Mono and Saturated are the preferred type, but if you start micro-managing you're gonna drive yourself crazy. Poly fats from whole foods are great too, remember that. Do you like seafood at all? Try eating more if traditional meat isn't your thing.

Oh, as for butter, grass-fed butter is delicious and healthier. You can find KerryGold brand in TraderJoes/Whole Foods. Grass-fed has added CLA [a very healthy trans fat], and Vitamin K2, which is not a very common vitamin.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I don't think most people who is at a weight they like with whatever their normal diet is should eat paleo.

Piecake

Well, like i said, as long as you control portions, a veggie smoothie isnt bad, but simply eating a whole carrot will be more filling and nutritious. Still, its not a big deal if you are aware of it

Fage total, and yea, i still eat a lot of saturated fat through meat and dairy. I honestly don't eat a lot of carbs with my switch. The only thing I really changed was that i now eat potatoes/sweet potatoes like once or twice a week.

So long as you eat eggs, full fat greek yogurt and meat, saturated fat shouldnt be a problem.

Bout the only thing you should be doing on the fat side is to take fish oil pills

Most nutritious meal of all time? scrambled eggs with chopped up spinach fried in butter. You really wont have a problem with saturated fat or protein if you eat this like twice a week. Every day even better. Stupid cheap too.

Top Bottom