• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGamer lists 35 of the best Adventure games on PC

Tizoc

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-25-best-adventure-games/

Worth reading through for the screenshots+their impressions of the games
This doesn't seem to be a ranking of any sorts, but here's the list of games

I repeat
this
is
NOT A RANKING
THIS DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A RANKING OF ANY KIND
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  • Life is Strange
  • Soma
  • Her Story
  • Discworld Noir
  • Toonstruck
  • To the Moon
  • Firewatch
  • Gone Home
  • King's Quest VI
  • Spycraft: The Great Game
  • Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
  • Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
  • The Blackwell Legacy
  • Loom
  • The Longest Journey
  • A Mind Forever Voyaging
  • Little Big Adventure 2
  • The Last Express
  • The Walking Dead: Season One
  • Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
  • Zork: Grand Inquisitor
  • The Secret of Monkey Island
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road
  • Full Throttle
  • Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail
  • Quest for Glory IV
  • Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
  • The Witness
  • Technobabylon
  • Kathy Rain
  • Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet
  • Tales From The Borderlands
  • Grim Fandango
  • Day of the Tentacle

Ricker

Nice list but it's missing the first Syberia in my book...also a lot,and I mean a lot,of those games I started and never finished lol...like Gabriel Knight,always got stuck on a puzzle and just gave up,some of those puzzles where really hard.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
image.php

PCGamer lists 35 of the best Adventure games on PC
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-25-best-adventure-games/

Which Link is right?

antitrop

That Tales from the Borderlands love.

I don't know if it quite deserves that kind of acclaim, but it is really, really fucking good.

EDIT: ok, unranked list, whatever

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I wouldn't call The Witness an Adventure game but whatever.

Also I assume they have a "only one entry per franchise" rule or something? Cause where the hell are Monkey Island 2 and 3 otherwise?

tuxfool

Banned
This isn't exactly a ranking. You'd know that if you bothered to read, or at least show where in the article they state this is a ranking :V

However, you ranked an unranked list. People don't read Titles and the don't read linked articles, you have to chew their food for them.

Quirah

Just finished Tales from the Borderlands yesterday. Clearly best Telltale game ever made and solid adventure game.

Great list by the way

megalowho

Pretty solid for an unranked list (why are there numbers in the OP?). The genre really is alive and well, some excellent recent titles in there that absolutely belong. I'd probably argue The Witness is more puzzle game than adventure game, but I get lines are blurred a bit given the similarities to Myst.

Happy to see my two favorite Wadjet Eye games on there, Technobabylon and The Blackwell Legacy series. Can't recommend those enough.

I've played and loved most of these games, but that's a really oddly ordered list, and the criteria for "adventure game" are very strange. The Witness? Her Story?

Nice to see QFGIV so high, though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also I assume they have a "only one entry per franchise" rule or something? Cause where the hell are Monkey Island 2 and 3 otherwise?

My thoughts exactly. I certainly like Broken Sword and To The Moon but they aren't remotely close to the first three MI titles.

Sonicbug

He puts Zork Grand Inquisitor on the list and then says this:
Secretly, most of the Zork series isn’t that great.

Beyond Zork is better than Inquisitor! ....

...at least a Zork is on the list.

rhandino

Banned
Eeeeeeek! at the lack of The Wolf Among Us since it is excellent.

Yaaaaas! at Her Story getting recognition, I greatly enjoyed my time with it.

kiiiiiiiiiiiiii! at the Broken Age snub, that games was not the T

EDIT: Ummmm, I really need to try the Tex Murphy games.

The Walking Dead: Season 1 is in 16th place. I have to disagree on that one. I suppose the list is focused more on the adventure aspects rather that the overall narrative, but man I would still put TWD in my top 3

spekkeh

Banned
Not bad not bad. OP should remove the numbers because I was about to throw a tizzy. Though even as a numbered list most of it is pretty defendable. Police Quest seems to be a notable omission. As is Maniac Mansion (I guess day of the tentacle is part of the series?). Choice for Larry perhaps kind of random. And I would not have included the witness as an adventure game. But all in all, not bad.

Edit: aw yeah The Dig. The Dig should definitely be on there.

Thanks Tizoc, for making this list its own thread. If I had thread making privileges I would have made a thread about this article. (Actually, if I had that privilege, I would only make threads about adventure games). Sorry for the confusion caused by numbering the list. I just numbered them myself because the article said 25 games but then there turned out to be 35. Hopefully this topic can get more people interested in the genre.

Tizoc

However, you ranked an unranked list. People don't read Titles and the don't read linked articles, you have to chew their food for them.

I merely copied the list. The number reflects how the website lists them, for example:
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is the 35th game in this list. It does not necessarily rank them.
Don't blame me for your lack of reading & comprehension skills, whippersnapper. Being lazy isn't an excuse :V

This isn't exactly a ranking. You'd know that if you bothered to read, or at least show where in the article they state this is a ranking :V
Not only you added numbers before the names, you also added them in a descending order, which indicates a ranked list.
So yeah, it's kinda your fault that people think it's a ranked list

Tizoc

Not only you added numbers before the names, you also added them in a descending order, which indicates a ranked list.
So yeah, it's kinda your fault that people think it's a ranked list

I just lazily copy pasta-ed :V I removed it anyway to confirm with the sad degradation of our mental understanding of the universe such that now many see a list as only a form of ranking from low to high.

milena87

It's missing Monkey 2&3 and The Dig, but it's an otherwise good list.

I really recommend playing Kathy Rain. I loved the game.

I just lazily copy pasta-ed :V I removed it anyway to confirm with the sad degradation of our mental understanding of the universe such that now many see a list as only a form of ranking from low to high.

Haha, I liked how you edited the post. Sorry to cause you distress. I should have known that people would comment on the rankings, rather than read the article.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, someone still remembers Twinsen's Odyssey! It's different from the other games in the list though (at least the ones I recognize), as it has a lot of action and combat.

Nice seeing To the Moon here, it's an incredibly beautiful game.

The lack of MI2 and Curse is disturbing...

Quoting the article:
The Secret of Monkey Island

Developer LucasFilm Games

Publisher In-house

The sequel is arguably both the better and funnier game, but there’s a raw innocence to the first that keeps it especially fresh. The childlike joy of a world where a young man can come out of nowhere, declare “I want to be a pirate!” and soon be sailing off in search of distant lands, the hand of the beautiful governor, and the most tantalising yet clearly nonexistent secret in gaming.

CHC

It's awesome that so many of these are new-ish, SOMA and Life Is Strange being some of the best recent examples. Adventure totally feels like one of those genres that almost died but had a nice resurgence.

This is missing both Myst and especially Riven? Bullshit
From the article:
Secretly, most of the Zork series isn’t that great. And Myst? Not appearing on any best-of list I compose. But put them together and you get this hilarious game of wit and lateral thinking—of changing a sign to turn an infinite corridor into a merely finite one, winning a game of strip rock-paper-scissors by mind-reading, or beating a complex puzzle by literally beating it. With a rock.

Top Bottom