• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGamer lists 35 of the best Adventure games on PC

derExperte

I approve just because they mention Toonstruck and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. Personally I'd replace Loom with Blade Runner. Not sure about Soma, if that's there Amnesia: Dark Descent is eligible too and imo the better game.

McNum

Little Big Adventure 2? I approve of this list.

That was a fun game, and one I played a lot back then. It also had exploding penguins before it was cool. And yes that quote on there is so bad it's good, especially with the voice acting.

Clearos

Surprised they picked Quest for Glory IV over the other ones. Enjoyed them all but II & III stuck out the most for me.

These are the ones I haven't played yet.

Your total is much better than mine. I am at 21/35 complete. I'm hoping Firewatch will be in the summer sale. You should really check out the Wadjet Eye Games, they're excellent.

Has anyone played A Mind Forever Voyaging? I've never played a text adventure before but this one always looked appealing to me.

KingV

I wouldn't have included Life is Strange, personally. I got bored out of my mind in that game, as the puzzles are pretty terrible.

"I don't believe you have powers, because even though you just predicted three things correctly you were slightly wrong about the forth"

"Yes, you just told me that I had a parking ticket in my pocket... But what TIME was the ticket made?"

"Hey go find me five bottles"

It would have been a better experience if they just cut out the filler puzzles and activities that weren't really engaging, clever, or challenging, but just padding.

Some stuff there that at best is on the fringe of the genre. My own list would be (and mine IS ranked):

1. Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis
2. Day Of The Tentacle
3. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
4. Time Gentlemen Please/Ben There Dan That
5. Monkey Island
6. Broken Sword
7. Discworld Noir
8. The Blackwell Series
9. Broken Sword 2
10. Simon the Sorcerer
11. Maniac Mansion
12. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney (the ds edition with "Rise from the Ashes")
13. Sam and Max Hit The road
14. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
15. Curse of Monkey Island
16. Primordia
17. Beneath a Steel Sky
18. Flight of the Amazon Queen
19. Phoenix Wright 3
20. Star Trek : A Final Unity
21. Loom
22. Discworld 2
23. Innocent Until Caught/Guilty
24. The Dig
25. Touch Detective\Touch Detective 2 ½ (Man I wish 3 had gotten localised. Atlus sucks)
26. Technobabylon
27. Shadowgate 2014
28. Dropsy
29. Full Throttle
30. AAI : Miles Edgeworth
31. Discworld
32. Grim Fandango
33. Book of Unwritten Tales
34. Resonance
35. Zak Mckracken

Notes - not yet played shardlight or Book of Unwritten Tales 2, need to replay ALL tex murphy games stat.

surprised no space quest or kyrandia

Man I hate the way kyrandia handles items. You can just drop them anywhere.

Some stuff there that at best is on the fringe of the genre. My own list would be (and mine IS ranked):

2. Day Of The Tentacle
5. Monkey Island
6. Broken Sword
7. Discworld Noir
8. The Blackwell Series
9. Broken Sword 2
10. Simon the Sorcerer
11. Maniac Mansion
16. Primordia
17. Beneath a Steel Sky
19. Phoenix Wright 3
21. Loom
22. Discworld 2
24. The Dig
25. Touch Detective\Touch Detective 2 ½ (Man I wish 3 had gotten localised. Atlus sucks)
26. Technobabylon
27. Shadowgate 2014
28. Dropsy
29. Beneath a Steel Sky
31. Discworld
32. Grim Fandango
34. Resonance
35. Zak Mckracken

Notes - not yet played shardlight or Book of Unwritten Tales 2, need to replay ALL tex murphy games stat.

Man I hate the way kyrandia handles items. You can just drop them anywhere.

As much as I love Ghost Trick, this is a PCGamer list so I don't think that game is eligible. The Dig and Beneath a Steel Sky would be on my list too.

Nice list for all platforms, Shu Takumi needs love in an adventure game thread. No Last Express though? That'd probably make my personal top 5.

That's another one I need to replay - don't feel comfortable going off my nineties feels. Need to do a Tex rerun first though, so I can finally play Tesla Effect.

Krejlooc

Banned

2. Day Of The Tentacle
5. Monkey Island
6. Broken Sword
7. Discworld Noir
8. The Blackwell Series
9. Broken Sword 2
10. Simon the Sorcerer
11. Maniac Mansion
16. Primordia
17. Beneath a Steel Sky
19. Phoenix Wright 3
21. Loom
22. Discworld 2
24. The Dig
26. Technobabylon
27. Shadowgate 2014
28. Dropsy
29. Beneath a Steel Sky
31. Discworld
32. Grim Fandango
34. Resonance
35. Zak Mckracken

Beneath a Steel Sky SO GOOD it gets listed twice

D is missing, tho

SOME-MIST

god... the last express is so good. I'm fine that they didn't list either samorost 3 or machinarium and the neverhood since I would have been way more disappointed if the last express was overlooked.

surprised that there's more than one telltale entry too...

protonion

Yes!
Discworld Noir gets some recognition finally.
One of the best written games ever. Too bad I cannot run my discs anymore. Gog is my last hope...

Beneath a Steel Sky SO GOOD it gets listed twice

D is missing, tho

This is why I hate numbering. Copying & pasting stuff as I deliberate always fouls up somewhere. The upper one is correct, the lower one should be Full Throttle.

Haven't played D since the saturn version came out. Will replay the GOG version sometime this year.

inm8num2

From the article:
Secretly, most of the Zork series isn’t that great. And Myst? Not appearing on any best-of list I compose.

I like Richard Cobbett - he writes some really good articles like this - but you can always count on him to fit in a few digs at Myst (see his quiz from last year). He's more than welcome to not like that game, but the joke's gone stale and he seems oddly obsessed. :p

Plus, it seems that Richard's disdain for the first Myst or some "Myst clones" prevents him from giving the other games a fair shot (Riven is a top 5 AG, Revelation is also excellent, Exile is pretty damn good, End of Ages is solid).

Let go of your hate, Richard. Embrace the Myst games.

Krejlooc

Banned
Haven't played D since the saturn version came out. Will replay the GOG version sometime this year.

Replayed it this year on my 3DO, still holds up IMO. I love the tone of the game, much darker than most Adventure games. More of a horror-adventure than anything else.

megalowho

My underdog in these adventure game lists is Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. It usually gets forgotten since the original gets the spot if it's one game per franchise, plus being the third Sam & Max game from pre-Walking Dead Telltale it was always gunning for a niche audience. But I still think it's some of the best work they've ever done, wildly creative and enjoyable from start to finish and works fine as a standalone adventure.

Berto

• The Longest Journey
  • The Last Express
  • Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Y11mMx7.gif

My adventure games holy trinity.

Elios83

Epic fail of a list.

No Blade Runner.
No Monkey Island 2 and Curse of Monkey Island.
No Syberia.

Btw does someone know if it's possible to play Discworld Noir on modern PCs?

BTails

I'm super okay with the list. Came in expecting very little, and was suprised to see all of my favourite adventure games on there: Gabriel Knight 1, lingms Quest 6, Pandora Directive, Last Express, Quest for Glory 4 and Day of the Tentacle.

Only thing I'd change really would be switching Monkey Island for Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My underdog in these adventure game lists is Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. It usually gets forgotten since the original gets the spot if it's one game per franchise, plus being the third Sam & Max game from pre-Walking Dead Telltale it was always gunning for a niche audience. But I still think it's some of the best work they've ever done, wildly creative and enjoyable from start to finish and works fine as a standalone adventure.
I really should get to this. Still haven't finished the first episode of season 2 (nor any of the following ones, of course).

Tizoc

warms my heart to see so much love for the dig

Dune needs to be represented, too.
Which dune game would that be?

Personally i like to see this list as 35 must play games that can get you into the genre and from there expand onto other games like the ones not listed in there.

Stiler

The picks seem really skewed toward newer games and forgets a lot of the classics. I mean I am glad Soma is on the list (it deserves much more recognition).

However where are games like Syberia? This was a very successful adventure game in the late 90's that even came to consoles and not just pc's. Myst? This game literally drove technology and got people to use cd roms. Sanitarium? Probably one of the most "creepy" adventure games of all time. Space Quest? Beneath a Steel sky, etc.

I like Richard Cobbett - he writes some really good articles like this - but you can always count on him to fit in a few digs at Myst (see his quiz from last year). He's more than welcome to not like that game, but the joke's gone stale and he seems oddly obsessed. :p

Plus, it seems that Richard's disdain for the first Myst or some "Myst clones" prevents him from giving the other games a fair shot (Riven is a top 5 AG, Revelation is also excellent, Exile is pretty damn good, End of Ages is solid).

Let go of your hate, Richard. Embrace the Myst games.
Yeah all this Myst hate, I don't get it. I own both Myst and Riven on GOG, but have never played them. Every other place I've seen places Riven really high so I might need to play them soon as well.

Also, I'm glad to see people wanting to play some Tex Murphy. The Pandora Directive and Tesla Effect are really great games that deserve way more love.

Top Bottom