• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGamer lists 35 of the best Adventure games on PC

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Pretty good list, though Zork: GI is a pretty strange choice. It wasn't a bad game, but it seemed more of a fan novelty thing. I don't think it's better than the OG Zork titles, or their spiritual successors in the Enchanter trilogy.

AMFV is a cool game, though. The tongue-in-cheek name for the project in-house was "Steve Meretzsky's Interiors." Here's an interesting couple of writeups on it for anyone interested

Part One: Steve Meretzky's Interiors.
Part Two: Don't Go Back to Rockvil

I don't know that I would have picked AMFV as my one IF pick for the list, but it is a solid choice. I appreciate the ambition of the title--it's shamelessly not "game-y."

ccharla

A Mind Forever Voyaging is probably not the place to start with Infocom, but for experienced text adventure players, it's probably the best written and most moving game. (For puzzles and nostalgia, gotta give it to Lurking Horror though!)

Cool to see Spycraft up there -- that game does not get a lot of attention.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
The Secret of Monkey Island
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Day of the Tentacle

My top 5 adventure games of all time made the list so I'm happy. To me some modern games (Fire Watch, Gone Home, etc) feel oddly out of place on this list.

jett

D-Member
That's a damn fine list, and I'm glad SOMA is getting its due. So many people slept on this game. :|

Krejlooc

Banned
I only know of Dune 2000, the RTS game.
What're the best ver. of Dune 1 and 2?

Dune 2 onward are more RTS than Adventure, but Dune 1 is a weird mix of RTS and Adventure unlike really any game I've played. It's all real time and constantly running, pretty complex.

Go with either the DOS version or the Amiga version.

MetalSlug

I'm happy to see that Little Big Adventure 2 made the list. One of the best games I've ever played.

It's on GoG if anybody that hasn't played it before, is interested in trying it out.

I'd love to read this article, but NoScript shows an unfathomable amount of stupid stuff blocked on PCGamer's webpage. Anybody know what I need to temporarily allow to view the necessities?

Saikyo

No wolf among us, the dig or monkey island 2, yet there is gone home and the witness.

Glaring omissions and trying too hard to seems "modern".

The Longest Journey is my favorite adventure game of all time and Syberia is my second favorite. Why not both!

It's pretty amazing that we will be getting the (completed) third version of both of these series in 2016.

I haven't been liking Dreamfall Chapters as much as I'd hoped but I think that Syberia III has the potential to be good.

antitrop

Blade Runner is definitely my favorite adventure game. I played it before even seeing the film, but it was still an amazing introduction into that world. Obviously a notable omission.

petran79

Banned
They try to keep a balance by mentioning at least one game from the popular developers.
Though there were some games that comblined both RPG and pnc elements
Some of the more ground breaking games back then were:

Personal Nightmare (one of the pioneers of horror adventure games, from the developers of the Elvira and Waxworks games, who feel more like an RPG though)
Normality (unique first person adventure game by Gremlin Interactive)
Bad Mojo (top down adventure game with photorealistic static graphics and amazing effects and soundtrack where you only use arrow keys to control a roach)
Dark Eye (first person adventure game with stop motion puppets, based on E.A Poe)
Shadow of the Comet (one of the best pnc adventure games, capturing perfectly Lovecraft's settings, much better than Dark Corners of the Earth)

I feel just the opposite. Syberia felt rather fetch questy. I feel Longest Journey had the better narrative.

The Longest Journey is my favorite adventure game of all time and Syberia is my second favorite. Why not both!

Hmm, I don't know. At a certain point TLJ lost the magic for me while playing it. I had troubles with the puzzles and I felt like the pacing just dragged everything out. But I do really appreciate the amazing world it presented, it just wasn't my favorite game to play. Syberia on the other hand felt really magical throughout.

Well, they're both good and iconic games so they deserve a spot.

WaterAstro

I wouldn't count Her Story as an adventure since it takes place in front of a computer and interrogation room... lol

Still good game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I would say out of adventure games of the new school missing on this list that I could vouch for, Shardlight and Oxenfree, both damn good adventure games that are very much worth playing. Also, I may be the only person here who has played Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, it was a solid adventure game.

Top Bottom