• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't think that will be a problem. I don't think there is a rampant pedophile coverup problem going on in NCAA football, at least I would hope not. I don't believe these sanctions will do anything to stop this same thing going forward. The legal proceedings are a better deterrent, all these kinds of sanctions do is hurt current players and coaches not involved.

Yeah, picking up and moving somewhere else in the country isn't a penalty at all.

I'm able to separate the evil of Sandusky and the ego and ignorance and outright incompetence of Curley, Schulz and Paterno in handling this matter from the current staff and players and the school.

Except if you don't punish the school now, nothing will ever change. Feel bad for the players all you want but if the idiots leading that school would have done what was morally right none of the new people would be punished for it. That's how life works.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Lou Holtz on ESPN now whining about how unfair this is to everyone who didn't rape or cover-up the rape of little boys. So much stupidity spoken with a lisp.

Well, it's true.

Typically NCAA sanctions don't ever effect those directly involved, but those who come after.

You think Reggie Bush was effected by screwing USC?

Turlast

Banned
Quick question: could the vacating of PSU's wins and other mess get Joe Paterno potentially removed from the hall of fame? Or is his inclusion something that's set in stone?

Skip taking a stance against the NCAA sanctions? no way he'd take the contrarian view.

He's been against them handing out any punishment to PSU since he was first asked about it. He's on the side that believes that this should be out of their range of punishment.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Except if you don't punish the school now, nothing will ever change. Feel bad for the players all you want but if the idiots leading that school would have done what was morally right none of the new people would be punished for it. That's how life works.

How does this change anything? You aren't going after them for recruiting violations, paying players, cheating (on the field or academically).. this is a criminal matter, not a football matter.. it just happened to involve coaches.

I've read the last couple of pages but what's the gaf consensus on this? My jaw dropped and brows furrowed immediately when i saw those penalties, totally crippled the program for probably upwards of a decade. Well deserved and I'm happy the NCAA came down hard, much respect for Emmert.

Well, it's true.

Typically NCAA sanctions don't ever effect those directly involved, but those who come after.

You think Reggie Bush was effected by screwing USC?

No, it isn't true. The NCAA didn't punish individuals. That's not the goal. The law does that. The NCAA punishes institutions. If you're part of the institution, you benefit when they cheat/cover-up, thus you suffer when that institution is caught and punished. Lou Holtz is a moron for saying that due to the 4 or 5 people being gone that nothing should have been done.

grkazan12

As a current Penn State, I just want to say that the NCAA made the right decision in making this harsh punishment. Never was the biggest football fan, so I don't share the same blind love that other students have for Joe Paterno.

Sorry for the dumb question but as a student who's tight on money, will this increase tuition for students by a lot?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
As a current Penn State, I just want to say that the NCAA made the right decision in making this harsh punishment. Never was the biggest football fan, so I don't share the same blind love that other students have for Joe Paterno.

Sorry for the dumb question but as a student who's tight on money, will this increase tuition for students by a lot?

I highly doubt that they can take this out on you guys.

JoeBoy101

Sirpopopop will turn his frown upside down in about an hour when Rutgers is announced as Penn State's replacement in the B1G.

From Adam Rittenberg over at ESPN:

ESPN said:
The big question is whether the Big Ten will expel Penn State. My conversations with league sources indicate this will not happen, although the presidents considered the option. Big Ten bylaws state 70 percent of the league's presidents -- in this case, nine of 12 -- must vote for Penn State's removal to trigger expulsion.

Sounds like it probably be a reduction in the revenue share they get.

Heavy said:
I've read the last couple of pages but what's the gaf consensus on this? My jaw dropped and brows furrowed immediately when i saw those penalties, totally crippled the program for probably upwards of a decade. Well deserved and I'm happy the NCAA came down hard, much respect for Emmert.

I don't think there's a consensus as alot wanted the death penalty, but I think its leaning towards being reasonable.

Also, gotta remember guys, when talking about money, we haven't even touched the avalanche of civil suits Penn State is facing. This penalty is on top of that.

harSon

Banned
I understand why the NCAA took away wins, but I'm not exactly sure how they've justified it in terms of the rules they currently have in place? Wouldn't such a move require there to have been some kind of kind of edge gained by Penn State over teams as a result of their crimes and misconducts?

Tobor

The consensus seems to be that the NCAA did a good job with this.

No, it isn't true. The NCAA didn't punish individuals. That's not the goal. The law does that. The NCAA punishes institutions. If you're part of the institution, you benefit when they cheat/cover-up, thus you suffer when that institution is caught and punished. Lou Holtz is a moron for saying that due to the 4 or 5 people being gone that nothing should have been done.

Any school could pay players and then when they get caught just fire the coach. You have to punish the school itself even if the guilty people are no longer there. In PSu's case the board is still made up of a lot of people that were there when this all went down.

Draxal

Nope, but they might kill of some sports.

However, alums might donate to compensate for it.

Anyway, but yeah ... this was perfectly set up for Emmert. He was tired of being powerless (he views himself as a reformer), and this is like a slow pitch ball lobbed to him. Could not be set more perfectly for a power grab for the commissioner.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Man, all those children who had their lives completely ruined must be so PSYCHED to see Penn State's win/loss record changed.

That's not the intent of that action. That would purely for people at State College, Pennsylvania.

Man, all those children who had their lives completely ruined must be so PSYCHED to see Penn State's win/loss record changed.

Nope, but they're PSYCHED to see the man who raped them put in a hole for the rest of his life.

This punishment, save for the $60 million to be donated, have nothing to do with them. This is a penalty to the school.

Or, you overestimated their recruiting in recent years and are trying to minimize the fact that it wasn't nearly as good as you thought.

Penn State is going to be a bad team in a few years wih an unproven coach. Whatever they were doing this year in terms of recruiting will not carry over after a few years of losing records.

I wasn't overestimating their recruiting in so far as the quality.

I did make an incorrect assumption that they were recruiting a full roster. They were not.

The losing record argument is irrelevant. Kids don't care about records. If they did then Clemson, Miami, & Notre Dame wouldn't be recruiting powerhouses.

Granted, it's not as if those schools are going to be going 3-8 any time soon, but it's not as if those schools are better than schools which recruit in the 30s/40s.

If you're confident in your statements, take me up on my bet.

It's about preventing future issues, not applying a salve to past victims. Your statement is incredibly naive.

Any school could pay players and then when they get caught just fire the coach. You have to punish the school itself even if the guilty people are no longer there. In PSu's case the board is still made up of a lot of people that were there when this all went down.

Haha what? When schools get caught doing that, they get sanctioned.

It's a public university, I don't think they want any more headlines.

What could they have done more for those people? They're giving $60 million to child abuse charities... sixty-million-united states-dollars. That's massive for a college football program. I guess you could say they should give some of that to the victims but I'm sure there's civil lawsuits and other things of that nature on the horizon where they'll get paid.

JoeBoy101

Umm, the NCAA President said in the outset there wasn't anything they could do to help that, and they're primary focus is to make sure that the culture where it could be enabled does not happen again. Quit this bullshit.

FutureFoundation said:
Nope, but they're PSYCHED to see the man who raped them put in a hole for the rest of his life.

I wouldn't put good odds on that being any significant length of time.

Sirpopopop will turn his frown upside down in about an hour when Rutgers is announced as Penn State's replacement in the B1G.

It would be Pitt who would get in.

Rutgers always gets screwed.

It's this pessimism which makes me so certain that Penn State will bounce back strong. This instinct always supports me well in sports, and pretty much everything related to Rutgers.

Batting about a 1000 with it.

Edit: On a more serious note. The only way to take a hammer to the Penn State program is to take a hammer to their attendance. If you aren't doing that, then you aren't doing enough. The culture will recover.

quaere

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207234
Football student-athletes who transfer will not have to sit out a year of competition. Any incoming or currently enrolled football student-athlete will be immediately eligible upon transfer or initial enrollment at an NCAA institution, provided they are admitted and otherwise eligible per NCAA regulations.
Penn State will release any incoming student-athletes from the National Letter of Intent.
Permission-to-contact rules will be suspended. Penn State cannot restrict in any way a student-athlete from pursuing a possible transfer. Student-athletes must simply inform Penn State of their interest in discussing transfer options with other schools. Interested schools also must inform Penn State of their intention to open discussions with the student-athlete.
Official and unofficial visit rules will be loosened. Any incoming or currently enrolled football student-athletes interested in taking an official or unofficial visit will be permitted to do so during the 2012-13 academic year, no matter how many visits they took during their recruitment. Institutions seeking to provide an official visit to a student who already visited the school as many times as NCAA legislation allows can seek relief from the NCAA on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for programs to which these football student-athletes transfer, provided they reduce proportionately in the next year. For example, the limit is 25 new scholarships per year to a total of 85 scholarships. If the limits are waived in 2012-13 to accommodate one Penn State student-athlete who wishes to transfer to a particular school already at the limits, in 2013-14 the school will be limited to 24 new scholarships and 84 total scholarships.

What could they have done more for those people? They're giving $60 million to child abuse charities... sixty-million-united states-dollars. That's massive for a college football program. I guess you could say they should give some of that to the victims but I'm sure there's civil lawsuits and other things of that nature on the horizon where they'll get paid.

The 60 million is symbolic. It's how much the program takes in each year. The real victims of these heinous crimes and the coverup are going to bleed Penn State dry over the next couple of years. That will be more significant than the 60 million.

I think what the NCAA is doing here is rediculous. It seems more and more like they are actively trying to destroy their credibility, but that's college football for you I guess. It's the american way of winning at all costs regardless of the consequences. So I say to hell with the fbs. Any and all events that further damage the reputation of this already depicable league are a good thing.

beast786

I think what the NCAA is doing here is rediculous. It seems more and more like they are actively trying to destroy their credibility, but that's college football for you I guess. It's the american way of winning at all costs regardless of the consequences. So I say to hell with the fbs. Any and all events that further damage the reputation of this already depicable league are a good thing.

how would you have handle this?

ESPN doesn't want viewers supporting big penalties for schools because they want to protect the college football cash cow in the future. I swear, they are a bunch of wimps when it comes to discipline.

JoeBoy101

Actually, seems there's alot of people who think the NCAA gained some credibility back with this action. You want to elaborate on why its ridiculous?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Don't bring that "American way" bullshit into this. Did China cheat in Olympic gymnastics because they viewed themselves as Americans? Did all those Italian, French etc bike racers take PEDs because they worship the Red White and Blue? Winning infects everyone. Think.

Legendofjoe...

Plinko

It would be Pitt who would get in.

Rutgers always gets screwed.

It's this pessimism which makes me so certain that Penn State will bounce back strong. This instinct always supports me well in sports, and pretty much everything related to Rutgers.

Batting about a 1000 with it.

Edit: On a more serious note. The only way to take a hammer to the Penn State program is to take a hammer to their attendance. If you aren't doing that, then you aren't doing enough. The culture will recover.

LOL

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Regarding the win vacation:

Are the games erased from the books or are the results flipped so that they lost and the other team won? If so did a bunch of other teams/coaches receive an increase in their win count?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They had a competitive advantage by not firing/jailing/imprisoning sandusky.

*looks at username*

Sounds legit!

What's ESPN's reaction to this? From your post I'm guessing they're saying it was too harsh? pathetic

I've only been watching First Take, but Skip thinks that the NCAA should've stayed out of it and Stephen still prefers the death penalty, but he's ok with this. He just thinks that the financial penalties should've been harsher. Something like 160-200m.

kingocfs

Dude, the money is the least of it. From what I've read, that is equivalent to what, ONE year of profit for them? This program housed widespread and severe sexual abuse of many innocent children for a long ass time. The program ENABLED it. It should no longer be able to continue in any capacity, ever. Money means nothing to those already victimized.

kirblar

Does anyone else remember those reported rumors that Sandusky pimp young boys to Penn State donors? If that ever becomes truth, this discussion changes dramatically and I would expect more sanctions would come down.
Their was an earlier child sex ring (before Sandusky) involving members of the legislature (and other powerful people) that was covered up, and I suspect that information got mixed up with Sandusky at some point along the line, creating that rumor.

giga

45ztS.png

Dude only has 298 wins over 45 years. What a shitty coach.

I hope this doesn't end the investigations. There was talk when this first broke that Sandusky was pimping out kids to big donors, Texas was investigating something that may have happened down there if I remember correctly.

And I've heard Corbett (the Governor) may be tied to the scandal. He was the state DA when some of the early investigations were going on. I'm not saying he did stuff with kids but he may have been part of the cover up.

Edit: Beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom