• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhit28

I hope this doesn't end the investigations. There was talk when this first broke that Sandusky was pimping out kids to big donors, Texas was investigating something that may have happened down there if I remember correctly.

And I've heard Corbett (the Governor) may be tied to the scandal. He was the state DA when some of the early investigations were going on. I'm not saying he did stuff with kids but he may have been part of the cover up.

This has nothing to do with the criminal investigation.

Patryn

Regarding the win vacation:

Are the games erased from the books or are the results flipped so that they lost and the other team won? If so did a bunch of other teams/coaches receive an increase in their win count?

Erased from the books. The other teams are not awarded the wins.

What's ESPN's reaction to this? From your post I'm guessing they're saying it was too harsh? pathetic

Alot of the commentators have not wanted anything done becuase it "punsishes people who have nothing to do with this cover up". This has been known for awhile and they are coming out full force now.

Regarding the win vacation:

Are the games erased from the books or are the results flipped so that they lost and the other team won? If so did a bunch of other teams/coaches receive an increase in their win count?

The wins simply vanish. The losing opponents don't get credited for it.

Zapages

It would be Pitt who would get in.

Rutgers always gets screwed.

It's this pessimism which makes me so certain that Penn State will bounce back strong. This instinct always supports me well in sports, and pretty much everything related to Rutgers.

Batting about a 1000 with it.

Edit: On a more serious note. The only way to take a hammer to the Penn State program is to take a hammer to their attendance. If you aren't doing that, then you aren't doing enough. The culture will recover.

Seton Hall should start their football program up again... Who I am I kidding... Its probably be Pitt or Rutgers...

I've only been watching First Take, but Skip thinks that the NCAA should've stayed out of it and Stephen still prefers the death penalty, but he's ok with this. He just thinks that the financial penalties should've been harsher. Something like 160-200m.

Dude, the money is the least of it. From what I've read, that is equivalent to what, ONE year of profit for them? This program housed widespread and severe sexual abuse of many innocent children for a long ass time. The program ENABLED it. It should no longer be able to continue in any capacity, ever. Money means nothing to those already victimized.
Damn i had no idea they were raking in that much profit per year

Angry Fork

Can someone update me on what the school has done? I haven't been paying much attention all I know is they took down the statue. What else have they done regarding the football stuff and what are people's reactions at the school?

Chris Fowler's Reaction

Haven't seen them say its too harsh, though a host on their radio felt it was too harsh because he thinks it will kill the program. Meh, I think he's overreacting.

For most recruits, they join big NCAA football programs to put a spotlight on their skills. No bowls for that many years and sanctions so tough that other potential big recruits will be going elsewhere is going to stop kids from choosing Penn State. No showcase bowl games + no highly talented teammates to get you featured on TV = signing elsewhere. That's going to kill their football program for a long long time. They'll still field teams, but the teams will be full of kids no one else wanted.

JoeBoy101

Can someone update me on what the school has done? I haven't been paying much attention all I know is they took down the statue. What else have they done regarding the football stuff and what are people's reactions at the school?

Don't know about reactions of students, though I think they're limiting Kool Aid sales.

But the school itself signed off on the sanctions. There will be no appeal or fight from them on these.

DaydreamSequence said:
For most recruits, they join big NCAA football programs to put a spotlight on their skills. No bowls for that many years and sanctions so tough that other potential big recruits will be going elsewhere is going to stop kids from choosing Penn State. No showcase bowl games + no highly talented teammates to get you featured on TV = signing elsewhere. That's going to kill their football program for a long long time. They'll still field teams, but the teams will be full of kids no one else wanted.

Oh, it'll hurt. The sanctions would have been too light if they didn't. I just don't think it will kill it.

3rdman said:
I'd like to think that the board at Penn State got the same advice when it came to accepting these terms...if they were more lenient or if the school put up a fight, it's possible that the school would never recover.

Well, as I kept saying, even if you look at it coldly, what could Penn State do otherwise. If they tried to fight the sanctions, NCAA might have made them worse and/or the PR of them fighting against them could have seriously hurt the school (not the program, but the school itself) in the long run.

3rdman

They just said that they took these terms to Penn State and they just accepted them. No back and forth or nothing. Penn State just accepted them.

NPR was interviewing some guy who is the government's crisis management adviser and he made some good points. Namely that whatever punishments happen MUST hurt because unless it does, closure can't be done...and without closure, there is no healing.

I'd like to think that the board at Penn State got the same advice when it came to accepting these terms...if they were more lenient or if the school put up a fight, it's possible that the school would never recover.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I agree with the punishment. Hopefully this reduces or eliminates the cult of personality that permeates the football program.

There are more important things to life than sports and I hope Penn State recognizes that. When people are minimizing the fact that their football team was harboring a child molester, their priorities are horribly out of whack.

jwhit28

I think I agree with the punishment. Hopefully this reduces or eliminates the cult of personality that permeates the football program.

There are more important things to life than sports and I hope Penn State recognizes that. When people are minimizing the fact that their football team was harboring a child molester, their priorities are horribly out of whack.

I hope so too, but it seems the culture that still puts football first is just gonna feel more like victims and further disregard what the rest of the world is telling them. Maybe by the end of the 4 years they will finally get that the blind defending and reliance on an amateur sport is what the NCAA is trying to stop.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Technically incorrect. Some fans just can't accept the idea that the game was played, but there was no winner.

Got it, thanks.

EDIT: Actually, another question. Are player stats accumulated in those games still counted or are those erased as well? I hope they're not (erased).

That's a hard sale

Not really. Every game they played after they decided they needed to cover up Sandusky's actions knowing that if brought to light, it would cause the loss of scholarships or money and reputation (thus hurting football at PSU) is a game they played without the honor and integrity the NCAA and the sport in general expects of its member bodies.

So they lose the right to claim those games.

Quite simple really.

kingocfs

That's the thing though, it won't. All it will do is inspire them to come back even stronger and overcome because it's the world vs. psu something something.

Time WILL heal this program, but it most certainly won't heal the lives of all those kids who they didn't give a damn about for all those years.

Kosmo

Banned
What competitive edge did they gain for covering up a coach's crimes since 1998 who stopped coaching in 1999?

Had the University said something in 1998 when they "fired" Sandusky (I prefer "became complicit in child rape"), they probably would not have suffered any disadvantage and JoePa would likely be held in even higher regard (assuming 1998 was the first he heard of it). That being the case, every year from 1999 on when they did not say anything, they gained the advantage of not being known as a school that covered up child rape for 1, 2, 5, 10 years from the day they found out about it.

LM4sure

Banned
Yup that douchebag is #1 now if you just pretend all those wins never happened.

I live in central Florida so it's going to suck even more today. I'm in gator territory but there's plenty of seminoles to make life more miserable.

Wow. Never heard Bowden called a douchebag before. It makes you sound like a douchebag. Good luck with your shitty Gator team next year.

I overreacted earlier. I let my growing anger at the state of college football (and in general the country at large) guide what I wrote. I used to love the game, but given all that has occured over the last several years that is no longer the case.

It was at one point an amateur sport, but that is no longer true. I hope one day that reality will be embraced because I am sick of people pretending otherwise. The belief that the game represents things that it does not and the deification of the people that excel at it are what led to this being allowed to happen. If we actually looked at college football for what it is - a semi-professional league that is dominated and controlled by money then maybe things will eventually start to turn around.

That's the thing though, it won't. All it will do is inspire them to come back even stronger and overcome because it's the world vs. psu something something.
huh?

nope. many freshman and sophomores will transfer. the overwhielming majority of juniors and seniors will probably stay as they are already ingrained into the PSU academic and social communities.

jwhit28

Time WILL heal this program, but it most certainly won't heal the lives of all those kids who they didn't give a damn about for all those years.

Its a lot harder to "fight the world" so to speak when the football program is in shambles. This was the option with the least collateral damage that still has a chance at putting the thought that "the program is to big to fail" to rest.

Nope, still 0-15. Losers don't get anything when it comes to "Vacating wins"

Now, if this was Forfeiting, yeah.
I would say it's now 0-4 instead. Those games effectively never took place. I think the punishment fits the crime. If PSU wants to pretend for decades that this take didn't exist, we can pretend for decades that the football program didn't exist.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

We need to schedule Penn St.

jwhit28

I would say it's now 0-4 instead. Those games effectively never took place. I think the punishment fits the crime. If PSU wants to pretend for decades that this take didn't exist, we can pretend for decades that the football program didn't exist.

The games still took place

Say Penn State went 10-1 for a season, now they went 0-1 but NOBODY gets added wins.

Enron

Banned

Kill the program? No.

Does anyone in this thread actually follow college football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom