• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Dude, there isn't much else to do. As a kid, I used to hit up local arcades, shoot things and have the occasional sleep over at the Sandusky house. Does that sound fun to you/?

That's why I didn't go to Penn State. :)

Hari Seldon

Sirpopopop said:
If your idea of fun is to not hang out with frat boy douchebags, then yes, it is very possible to not have fun at state college.

(No offense to the many non-douchebags who went to Penn State that post on this board and in the College Football Thread. All offense intended to Hari Seldon.)

I am far from a frat boy douchebag, but even as a dorky engineering student at PSU I had a blast. Being that there is like 10,000 people your own age, you can easily avoid any douchebags and hang out with like minded people.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
So you are saying Paterno should be allowed to hold his position of head coach of this football team? Okay.

I didn't say that either.

I simply laid what what needed to be considered in order to come to the decision on whether to terminate Paterno or non-renew his contract at the end of the season, and in light of recent developments, resign.

gutshot

KingGondo said:
Bigger fall from grace than Tiger?

I'd say yes.

Nah, Tiger was at the top of his sport when his scandal erupted. JoePa and the PSU program has been steadily declining for years. So his comparative fall is not as huge.

bigtroyjon said:
LOL at suggesting that this is confined to the athletic department.

This is the kind of response that bothers me. The people to blame are Sandusky, and anybody in the AD/board members that had the power to turn him in but instead covered it up/let him retire/turned a blind eye.

Professors and other respectable people at the school weren't getting together in break rooms going "Hey bro, did you hear Sandusky took advantage of another kid?" "LOL cool on him for tappin' that." Don't blame the entire school, that's all I'm saying. There are perfectly innocent people at Penn State that are going to feel the effects of this. I can't imagine being a professor there, and having some ignorant person making fun of my job teaching at "Pedo State." That's what bothers me.

Scumbags deserve what they get, but don't make the lives of many miserable for the mistakes of the few.

tokkun said:
I think much of the criticism of the school as a whole comes from a perception that they came out protecting the employees accused of covering up the rape and lying to the grand jury.

The problem is that Penn State is handling this in a manner that its repsonse looks calculated to protect its reputation, which many may see as a continuation of the attitude that caused these crimes to go on for so long. People would like to see Penn come out and do something dramatic to demonstrate anger over this, like Sanjuro Tsubaki is suggesting.

Obviously, Penn State wants to protect their reputation as much as possible. But anybody outside PSU wants blood and they want blood now. See some of the posters here. Things may not be as simple as firing and prosecuting everybody involved with the scandal (which is what people would probably want). The scandal leaked a few days ago, right? Maybe the cover-up has been going on for years, yeah, but give them a few days to get things sorted out and dole out the proper justice. If another few weeks go by and they just continue to try and sweep it under the rug, by all means, crucify the school. I'll join everyone. But press and random people hounding the school forcing them to make a decision immediately means that they could make a wrong one or a bad one that gives them even more trouble.

KingGondo

Banned
gutshot said:
Nah, Tiger was at the top of his sport when his scandal erupted. JoePa and the PSU program has been steadily declining for years. So his comparative fall is not as huge.
I'd say JoePa is easily more venerated than Tiger, though. Guy was seen as a saint and was definitely the largest figure in the school's history.

Tiger was beloved by most, but there was still a contingent of fans that didn't like him or thought he was plastic. And what JoePa is accused of doing is far worse.

andycapps

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Well, they are planning his exit.

It'll probably be resignation.

Yup, they'll let him finish the last few games, IMO. They shouldn't but he'll get that much out of them.

Sanjuro

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I didn't say that either.

I simply laid what what needed to be considered in order to come to the decision on whether to terminate Paterno or non-renew his contract at the end of the season, and in light of recent developments, resign.
You are a fool then. You won't agree or disagree therefore creating an endless argument. Keep hugging that fine line between right or wrong so that you don't ever make judgement call.

CyReN

The new victims are starting to remind me of all the mistresses Tigers Woods had, just coming out of nowhere at this point..

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You are a fool then. You won't agree or disagree therefore creating an endless argument. Keep hugging that fine line between right or wrong so that you don't ever make judgement call.

No. You don't understand how lawyers work.

I have my own opinions on the matter. But looking at the situation in a pragmatic matter doesn't mean I can't make a decision. It means that I can look at all aspects without being clouded by a desire for a visceral emotional response, which is what you want.

Good on Paterno. The Board can be mad at him all they want. Make them fire him. He's done way too much for that school to just let them kick him out at whim. Make them prove that he was the one who did something wrong. Don't let them make you a scapegoat for an institutional problem.

I'm not sure if Paterno did anything wrong or not. I don't think we have enough information yet, but letting the Board quietly sweep him under the rug is just fucked up.

Sanjuro

ChiTownBuffalo said:
No. You don't understand how lawyers work.
No, you don't understand how posting works. What the fuck does being a lawyer have ANYTHING to do with this currently? I'm not stupid enough to believe he isn't in a contractual situation with the school.

He either stays, leaves, fired, or stripped of his title. You have danced around all of these scenarios through our discussion. Lawyers are trolls. Thanks for teaching me this.

ChiTownBuffalo

GoldenEye 007 said:
That probably wasn't too smart on Paterno's part...

Depends on how good he thinnks his attorneys are. But wouldn't be surprised if he acted on pride alone.

Ourobolus

Banned
As a PSU alum this makes me considerably depressed and angry. JoePa was a huge part of Penn State, and this whole situation is shitty. He and Spanier (and I've never really liked Spanier) need to resign, as much as it would pain me to see JoePa go from the program, considering how much he did for the school.

Goddammit.

ChiTownBuffalo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
No, you don't understand how posting works. What the fuck does being a lawyer have ANYTHING to do with this currently? I'm not stupid enough to believe he isn't in a contractual situation with the school.

He either stays, leaves, fired, or stripped of his title. You have danced around all of these scenarios through our discussion. Lawyers are trolls. Thanks for teaching me this.

Dude. Seriously?

There's alot of difference.

You want his head torn asunder now all bloody and messy,

I am laying down the outline for surgical removal. That results in minimal additional impact to the university. (I was assuming the role of PSU legal counsel.)

I even said I was assuming the role of PSU legal counsel.

gutshot said:

At least Tiger has the opportunity to get back on top. And if he does, his shit will be forgotten. Joe Pa is done. And he is going to be remembered by this.

brucewaynegretzky said:
I'm not sure if Paterno did anything wrong or not. I don't think we have enough information yet, but letting the Board quietly sweep him under the rug is just fucked up.
LOL, "we" have plenty of information. Feel free to spend 2 minutes reading about what happened and get back to us.

Meier

Incendiary said:
Anybody calling it Pedo State makes me really want to punch them. Yes, one guy in the athletic department is a pedophile. And yes, the athletic department let him keep working and didn't report it. This isn't a schoolwide phenomenon. Every professor in the school isn't touching little kids.
Bro, I still hear Free Shoes U and that happens at every school in existence. It's earned until they absolutely clean house.

ChiTownBuffalo

Sanjuro

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Dude. Seriously?

I even said I was assuming the role of PSU legal counsel.

Seriously. I'm discussing the situation as it is right now. If I wanted to hear you boast about your lawyer abilities then I would enter a legal thread of some sort. I understand some of your reasoning to this point, but that is not the current discussion. I've responded to you honestly only for you to keep going back to this roleplaying game. I figured you would be smarter than that.

I'm not going any further with this variant at this point. I'm simply in here to discuss the news as it is pouring through at this point.

bigtroyjon said:
LOL, "we" have plenty of information. Feel free to spend 2 minutes reading about what happened and get back to us.

Yeah? So you're saying a few days worth of news reports trying to be the most sensationalist to garner clicks is clearly enough information to ruin on person's name? I call bullshit. This isn't the type of thing you do in the heat of the moment.

Ninja Scooter said:
Joe Paterno=JP=John Paul?
I've already heard worse....

If an older lady chasing after a younger man is a cougar, is an older man chasing after a younger boy a Nittany Lion?

Then someone said too soon.

Then the jokester said, meh, it's been 10 years.

Spacebar

If Joe reported it and yet nothing happened why didn't he eventually go to the police? Because they were all in it together to protect this dude. Now shit has hit the fan and they should all punished to the full extent of the law.

ChiTownBuffalo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Seriously. I'm discussing the situation as it is right now. If I wanted to hear you boast about your lawyer abilities then I would enter a legal thread of some sort. I understand some of your reasoning to this point, but that is not the current discussion. I've responded to you honestly only for you to keep going back to this roleplaying game. I figured you would be smarter than that.

I'm not going any further with this variant at this point. I'm simply in here to discuss the news as it is pouring through at this point.

d20.jpg

This. This is trolling.

C Jones

brucewaynegretzky said:
Yeah? So you're saying a few days worth of news reports trying to be the most sensationalist to garner clicks is clearly enough information to ruin on person's name? I call bullshit. This isn't the type of thing you do in the heat of the moment.
News reports? You do know the grand jury investigation docs are available to read right? You may want to check them out.

ChiTownBuffalo

brucewaynegretzky said:

The PA State Attorney General's OFfice generally doesn't give a fuck all about garnering clicks.

ChiTownBuffalo

brucewaynegretzky said:
And they're not going after Paterno....

Not at this time. Doesn't say they won't seeing as it is an ongoing investigation.

Sanjuro

ChiTownBuffalo said:
This. This is trolling.
I'm not sure of your point anymore. I don't think anyone in this thread would believe after reading my posts that I have been trolling you.

Sent you a PM. Not going to keep going back and forth with this type of discussion in this thread.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Not at this time. Doesn't say they won't seeing as it is an ongoing investigation.

They know damn well he met his legal obligations. He reported everything he heard to the AD's office didn't he?

The outrage with Paterno is for things he didn't have to do but everyone wanted him to. I get that, but the Board is being rather hypocritical considering how much he's done for the school.

Ilúvatar

Just read through the full write-up from the Grand Jury and holy crap. Curley and Schultz are both going way down on this one.

ChiTownBuffalo

brucewaynegretzky said:
They know damn well he met his legal obligations. He reported everything he heard to the AD's office didn't he?

The outrage with Paterno is for things he didn't have to do but everyone wanted him to. I get that, but the Board is being rather hypocritical considering how much he's done for the school.

Oh, I dont' disagree that at the time of the initial report, he met his legal obligations. I'm not familiar enough with conspiracy/constructive knowledge of child endangerment/etc to speculate what happens to his conduct afterwards.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not 100% sure but I think Mike McQueary's brother posts on The Devils Den football board (I think he's a Duke grad). He posted this:

"thanks to those who realize or connected dots here.. my only request would be not too judge to quickly the ga...

thanks to my duke friends for being supportive"

Some have speculated that the GA was dissuaded from inquiring about the issue after nothing came from the report in 2002, I dunno.

ChiTownBuffalo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'm not sure of your point anymore. I don't think anyone in this thread would believe after reading my posts that I have been trolling you.

Sent you a PM. Not going to keep going back and forth with this type of discussion in this thread.

No, my posting of a d20 was trolling you because you said "role playing game."

Amory

It's sad that this is how Paterno is going to go out, simply because he's a college football icon. But I'm glad his legacy is forever fucked if he knew about all this and never truly did anything about it.

What a nightmare.

harSon

Banned
Spacebar said:
If Joe reported it and yet nothing happened why didn't he eventually go to the police? Because they were all in it together to protect this dude. Now shit has hit the fan and they should all punished to the full extent of the law.

He's a football coach, not Kojak. He reported it to the right people within his organization. How is he supposed to know that they'd be down for excusing and protecting a pedophile?

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Oh, I dont' disagree that at the time of the initial report, he met his legal obligations. I'm not familiar enough with conspiracy/constructive knowledge of child endangerment/etc to speculate what happens to his conduct afterwards.

Right but the point here is I think the Board is using him as a scapegoat. If anyone at that school deserves to get institutional protection it is him.

Sanjuro

ChiTownBuffalo said:
No, my posting of a d20 was trolling you because you said "role playing game."
*shrugs*

I only play role playing games who issue C&D letters.

harSon said:
He's a football coach, not Kojak. He reported it to the right people within his organization. How is he supposed to know that they'd be down for excusing and protecting a pedophile?
What is with Pennsylvania and rape mang!? He should know they didn't after that person continued to be employed for several more years giving him more opportunities to ruin lives.

harSon said:
I don't know, but after several years, you'd think he might pick up on the idea that something was off.

Amory

harSon said:

Maybe because there wasn't a media shitstorm after he told the higher ups? That'd be a pretty big clue that word didn't spread very far. At that point, it's on him as much as anyone else who knew to tell the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom