• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hari Seldon said:
And for the record, there is no way JoePa should be fired before the people WHO WERE ACTUALLY INDICTED. Fucking Spanier, his head needs to be on a pike in front of Old Main.

THIS THIS THIS. Seriously you think they'd do a bit more internal investigation before firing a guy who actually met his obligations as opposed to everyone else.

Dude Abides

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
And for the record, there is no way JoePa should be fired before the people WHO WERE ACTUALLY INDICTED. Fucking Spanier, his head needs to be on a pike in front of Old Main.

Curley and Schultz were the only ones indicted, and they already resigned.

Salaadin

Hari Seldon said:
The people who directly saw things happen need to be gone too. The assistant, the janitor who claims it was one of the worse things he ever saw, get rid of em all.

Hari Seldon

brucewaynegretzky said:
THIS THIS THIS. Seriously you think they'd do a bit more internal investigation before firing a guy who actually met his obligations as opposed to everyone else.

Not only that, but that asshole Spanier actually stated public support for the two indicted, but apparently they are going to force JoePa to retire.

andycapps

C Jones said:
Joe is a feisty guy. He's not going to back down. I don't see a problem with him talking but Penn State may go ballistic.
Who thinks he's going to coach Saturday?

That's exactly why it'd be bad for him and the school. He'd say something that they'd regret.

I think he's going to be gone by Saturday.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
JoePa did little wrong it seems, he just didn't go to the point of keeping up with the case, verifying that the police got involved, etc. He reported it to a guy that was over the campus police. One would assume that would be good enough.

JABEE

Salaadin said:
The people who directly saw things happen need to be gone too. The assistant, the janitor who claims it was one of the worse things he ever saw, get rid of em all.
Did the janitor report the abuse though? Isn't it better that the janitor spoke up? The janitor shouldn't have to fear losing his job by reporting an abuse.

C Jones

Salaadin said:
Janitor isn't there. He suffers from dementia and is in a home being taken care of. He can't testify.

Dude Abides

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
They are on a leave of absence is all that I heard, they did not resign nor were fired yet.

I guess Curley took leave but Schultz resigned.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tz-step-amid-penn-state-nittany-lions-scandal

Salaadin said:

The janitor has dementia and lives in a nursing home. I agree McQueary should be gone (along with Paterno).

_woLf

I don't want to see JoePa go down like this. He's done so much for PSU and college football in general that he doesn't deserve this bullshit.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Just out of curiosity....The Creamery pulled Sandusky Blitz as a flavor right? I mean, banana flavored ice cream with chocolate sauce and nuts.

Salaadin

JABEE said:
Did the janitor report the abuse though? Isn't it better that the janitor spoke up? The janitor shouldn't have to fear losing his job by reporting an abuse.

Iirc, the janitor saw oral sex, told his co-workers, but ultimately decided not to do anything. Id have to double check the report and Im at work so I cant but thats what Im remembering.

I also forgot that he has dementia and is no longer with the school. My bad.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
_woLf said:
I don't want to see JoePa go down like this. He's done so much for PSU and college football in general that he doesn't deserve this bullshit.

No one wants to see JoePa go donwn like this. But...sinking ships and all that.

AlteredBeast said:
JoePa did little wrong it seems, he just didn't go to the point of keeping up with the case, verifying that the police got involved, etc. He reported it to a guy that was over the campus police. One would assume that would be good enough.
Forces the guy to retire after an investigation in 98 and you think he shouldn't follow up after hearing that the same guy ass raped a 10 year old in the football facility?

Dude Abides

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
Are we really assuming that there weren't at least a dozen other people around the university that were as knowledgeable as Paterno about the situation?

What does this have to do with anything? "Everyone else shrugged it off too!" is the defense?

AlteredBeast said:
Didn't he continue to let Sandusky hold camps at PSU afterwards? JoePa needs to go. Has to be a complete housecleaning. How can he or anyone on his staff sit in a 16 year old recruits living room and with a straight face tell his parents that they will take care of their kid? "if I see him getting raped in the shower, rest assured we'll totally tell campus police!"

Sanjuro

_woLf said:
Assisting a pedophile isn't simply bullshit.

AlteredBeast said:

This! I'm can't get my head around why people want to throw him into the fire with the actual pedophile.

Hari Seldon

It all comes down to who allowed Sandusky to hang around the campus. If it was Spanier and not Joe (Joe was rumored to not even attend Sandusky's retirement party), then all Joe has to say is that this was the case and he will be largely off the hook imo.

A conspiracy theorist would think that Joe was about to throw Spanier under the bus, which is why Spanier pulled the plug on the presser in order to try and talk Joe out of it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Assisting a pedophile isn't simply bullshit.

Covering up.

Assisting sounds...you know. Worse.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Are we really assuming that there weren't at least a dozen other people around the university that were as knowledgeable as Paterno about the situation?
Oh no. Paterno is not the one I would even claim as the one most guilty of hiding this. I want anyone involved with the decision to not take this to the law brought into the light. I want (Because I might as well be honest) Penn State to clean house.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Just out of curiosity....The Creamery pulled Sandusky Blitz as a flavor right? I mean, banana flavored ice cream with chocolate sauce and nuts.

I...ur...wow

That's actually real...

It rivals the title of Sandusky's book....

Meier

bigtroyjon said:
Forces the guy to retire after an investigation in 98 and you think he shouldn't follow up after hearing that the same guy ass raped a 10 year old in the football facility?
The absolute worst thing about the whole situation is these poor kids were involved in a charity for underprivileged youth that Sandusky set up. These kids have a rough life as is -- for them to then have to go through such a terrible thing.. ugh, just reprehensible.

Joe absolutely could have prevented a number of boys from being molested if he had pressed the issue. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly blinded by fanaticism.

Man that Grand Jury indictment is disgusting. And it only covers 8 victioms going back to 1994 or so. Wouldn't be surprised if this guy has over a hundred victims going back 4 or 5 decades.

And where is peoples courage? How do you see something like that in person and not report it to the police? Even the graduate assistant. He did try to report it, but after seeing first hand what he saw he should have known to go directly to the police when nothing happened to Sandusky.

Meier

samus i am said:
This! I'm can't get my head around why people want to throw him into the fire with the actual pedophile.
Because it's CHILD RAPE! And it wasn't the first time the guy got caught diddling kids!! You absolutely must make a concerted effort to see that someone is punished in this scenario. You don't continue to allow him to bring young boys to your facilities even when a ban on him is in place. You don't continue to allow him to be anywhere NEAR your program. By allowing these things, Joe essentially condoned his behaviour.

He absolutely knew the issue was covered up the second time just like he must have known it was covered up the first time. Pull your head out of your ass! If you were a child, Sandusky's dick might be ramming into it.

_woLf said:

When this story first started breaking I felt the same way. But after reading all the stories on it, Joe really messed up. He needs to own up to it, apologize (which doesn't do spit for the victims and their families but he needs to do it anyway) and basically go away.

Meier said:
Because it's CHILD RAPE! And it wasn't the first time the guy got caught diddling kids!! You absolutely must make a concerted effort to see that someone is punished in this scenario. You don't continue to allow him to bring young boys to your facilities even when a ban on him is in place. You don't continue to allow him to be anywhere NEAR your program. By allowing these things, Joe essentially condoned his behaviour.

He absolutely knew the issue was covered up the second time just like he must have known it was covered up the first time. Pull your head out of your ass! If you were a child, Sandusky's dick might be ramming into it.

Spanier is in charge of the school, not Joe! Joe reported it to the proper people and Spanier and should have handled it. You are only calling for him to be fired because he is more famous. JoePa has no business investigating child molestation charges.

Hari Seldon said:
It all comes down to who allowed Sandusky to hang around the campus. If it was Spanier and not Joe (Joe was rumored to not even attend Sandusky's retirement party), then all Joe has to say is that this was the case and he will be largely off the hook imo.

A conspiracy theorist would think that Joe was about to throw Spanier under the bus, which is why Spanier pulled the plug on the presser in order to try and talk Joe out of it.
Joe Paterno is like a god on that campus. If he didn't want someone around, he wouldn't need anyone's permission.

JABEE

Spectral Glider said:
When this story first started breaking I felt the same way. But after reading all the stories on it, Joe really messed up. He needs to own up to it, apologize (which doesn't do spit for the victims and their families but he needs to do it anyway) and basically go away.
Apologizing is an admission of guilt. There is no way he will do that. Leaves him exposed to law suits.

C Jones

Ninja Scooter said:
Joe Paterno is like a god on that campus. If he didn't want someone around, he wouldn't need anyone's permission.
This is what I don't understand. One minute people say "JoePa IS Penn State!!!". Then people defend him and say "well he's just the coach, what was he supposed to do, he followed chain of command". Can't have it both ways.

Meier

samus i am said:
Spanier is in charge of the school, not Joe! Joe reported it to the proper people and Spanier and should have handled it. You are only calling for him to be fired because he is more famous. JoePa has no business investigating child molestation charges.
I couldn't give a shit about who is "more famous." Everyone involved should be fired effectively immediately.

Hari Seldon

Ninja Scooter said:

I'm sure the university president would be the only person who could ban someone from campus officially, and he likely didn't want to do it as he would have to explain the reasoning.

C Jones said:
This is what I don't understand. One minute people say "JoePa IS Penn State!!!". Then people defend him and say "well he's just the coach, what was he supposed to do, he followed chain of command". Can't have it both ways.

No he IS Penn State, and he did what he had to do to make a problem go away and then forgot about it. He should now get institutional support from the university for making it what it is.

brucewaynegretzky said:
No he IS Penn State, and he did what he had to do to make a problem go away and then forgot about it. He should now get institutional support from the university for making it what it is.
He totally forgot about allegations that his former defensive coordinator, who afterwards continued to be seen on campus and holding camps with young children, was butt raping a kid in the shower? He didn't think to ask someone "Hey I keep seeing Jerry around campus...didn't he rape a kid? What's the deal with that?"

Dude Abides

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:

What's a little kiddie-diddling when you've got 400 wins?

Cyan

Banned
Kind of surprised there's so much argument here. JoePa might be 500 years old, but he's in charge. He knew or should have known (lol USC) what was going on. If he didn't know, given what we've heard, it was almost certainly willful.

He should be gone. Given his status at Penn St, they can let him finish the season and resign rather than be fired. But everyone in charge should be cleaned out.

Zep

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
I'm sure the university president would be the only person who could ban someone from campus officially, and he likely didn't want to do it as he would have to explain the reasoning.

Him being able to use the campus was part of his severance package from what I heard on the radio. Who knows what kind of mess that would have been trying to get rid of him.

venne

I'm pretty sure that life is one big joke seeing the dude authored a book titled "Touched" and has a flavor of ice cream named after him that is basically a euphemism for anal sex.

Hari Seldon

Ninja Scooter said:
He totally forgot about allegations that his former defensive coordinator, who afterwards continued to be seen on campus and holding camps with young children, was butt raping a kid in the shower? He didn't think to ask someone "Hey I keep seeing Jerry around campus...didn't he rape a kid? What's the deal with that?"

No one knew that Jerry raped anyone until McQueary saw what he saw. The previous incident was cleared by the local DA. So they let him hang around campus. So only the actions on or after that incident should be in question.

C Jones

Zep said:
Him being able to use the campus was part of his severance package from what I heard on the radio. Who knows what kind of mess that would have been trying to get rid of him.
I'd bet they'd trade this "mess" for that one right now.

Dude Abides

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
What kiddie did he diddle again? Did he not report kiddie diddling?

Reported and quickly "forgotten," with kiddie diddler hanging around until last week and bringing a kid to practice in 2007. Clearly JoePa is being thrown under the bus in a media frenzy! I bet Ohio State is behind it.

College Football, win at all costs.

*Cost can include money laundering, public defraudment, child molestation, perjury, theft, negligence, and any other criminal behavior so long as it results in victory. And oh yeah it's an amateur sport too.

ChiTownBuffalo

Watching Matt Millen cry was awkward as hell.

Dude Abides said:
Reported and quickly "forgotten," with kiddie diddler hanging around until last week and bringing a kid to practice in 2007. Clearly JoePa is being thrown under the bus in a media frenzy! I bet Ohio State is behind it.

You're mischaracterizing my argument. I'm saying here that JoePa's wrong doing is relatively minor compared to what we've seen from other individuals. He's also done A LOT of good for the university. This is not the type of scandal that he would be unable of weathering with university support. He should be given that support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom