• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
just to let people know, Intelligence airs before POI. Basic premise makes it sound like The Machine is implanted inside Sawyers brain.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
just to let people know, Intelligence airs before POI. Basic premise makes it sound like The Machine is implanted inside Sawyers brain.

I see less Person of Interest and more Chuck. Only without any of the fun.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I see you guys are finally here. I was worried!

Lonestar

orig-21243880.jpg

Lonestar

So far so Great, though I don't quite understand how VIgilance and Hersch ended up at the bank. Assuming they somehow figured out where amnesia guy hid it. Interesting, that Samaritan works, and might be sitting out there (and it's got an open interface, unlike The Machine's number system - Making it far more dangerous in the wrong hands).

and Root is getting worked over...bad. She gone be deaf.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't believe they found a way to use "It's Hammer Time" without being too ironic. :p

That said, I feel like Root exists now because they want the computer to have a voice and having text on a screen be a character just isn't possible. My only worry is that they'll find some way to have the machine download itself into Root's brain and complete that transformation, because that is the inevitable end game.

Doorman

I see less Person of Interest and more Chuck. Only without any of the fun.

Watching the pilot, this is exactly how I felt about Intelligence too. It's already kind of lost me.

Back to PoI, this episode continues to prove that Shaw is the best character on the show.

torontoml

I can't believe they found a way to use "It's Hammer Time" without being too ironic. :p

That said, I feel like Root exists now because they want the computer to have a voice and having text on a screen be a character just isn't possible. My only worry is that they'll find some way to have the machine download itself into Root's brain and complete that transformation, because that is the inevitable end game.
Well you got that correct.

Sonicbug

Great episode, man the scenes with Root were making me cringe.

The part right after, where they
started playing the high pitched sound was the most brilliant thing I've seen, well heard, on TV in a long time. My father can't hear noises anywhere as high pitched as that, and I was sitting there thinking 'is that ringing supposed to be there?' until Root revealed it. I said Wow.

Also, Smoot. Lol.

Jarrod38

started playing the high pitched sound was the most brilliant thing I've seen, well heard, on TV in a long time. My father can't hear noises anywhere as high pitched as that, and I was sitting there thinking 'is that ringing supposed to be there?' until Root revealed it. I said Wow.

Also, Smoot. Lol.
So the spoiler part that is true? If so couldn't hear it.

Anyways felt this episode was a downer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Also, Smoot. Lol.

I thought the ringing was part of the background music, but then Root revealed it and blew my mind. My mom watches the show so I'll have to ask her if she heard it when she watches it.

Lonestar

I...I...

couldn't hear anything :(

Worked too long in a manufacturing plant, and wore headphones too much.

Sober

I thought the ringing was part of the background music, but then Root revealed it and blew my mind. My mom watches the show so I'll have to ask her if she heard it when she watches it.
Yeah apparently that is the case. You might be able to tweak it with an equalizer to hear it but other people have said their parents did not hear it. So guessing everyone else in the room didn't either.

Kvik

Great episode, although I don't know if I like emo-Reese though. Berserk-Reese was way better.

That
high-pitched noise
was also a very nice touch!

The
return of Decima
at the end was also very mouth watering! Can't wait for the next episode

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
ZOMG, I CAN HEAR IT! It's very subtle. It's like white noise, right? Although I'm quite young so yeah...

Now off to protect my ears. Oh yeah, and cool episode.

Sober

Someone decoded the morse code that was beeping and it was indeed the Machine telling Root important stuff. This fucking show.

Lonestar

Next episode's title makes sense, following the promo

Episode title is 4C, and there's a jet plane plot going on with Reese. 4C pretty much sounds like a seat number.

Gonna talk about this episode now:

Episode had alot of big moments, including what sounds like The Machine's 1st spoken words in the form of a conversation ("Can you Hear Me?" and the various directions come across as a super GPS, whereas this is a full statement and answering questions).

The return of Decima Man, and his secret agent getting access to Samaritan. That bank had 4 different "sides" in there, going after it (Control, Vigilance, TeamMachine and Decima). Some bad bad shit is gonna happen with this development, but it does mean Root is back out of the picture for the time being (and her overpowered abilities), as she says she's got to take care of that situation.

The 2 storylines of dementia/Alzheimers were good. Really liked Finch's backstory, even if it's not completely new, as the ARPAnet portion was subtlety revealed last season. Sure seems like Harold spent some time looking at those files :lol. The lone Finch on the tree was pretty melancholy.

And Reese really doesn't want to come back. That is, until something makes him come back, hopefully soon.

Wonder if Hersch survived.

Some downsides to the episode, that don't feel as "troublesome" when measured against some of the bigger beats of the episode. Things like:
Control and Vigilance showing up at the bank (heck, the Decima agent too).
Shaw having way more movement and access during a bank "robbery"/hostage situation.
Timing of Reese/Fusco flying from Colorado to NYC.
What exit strategy did Collier/Vigilance have?
Root says the Machine helped take care of Control's guards, but it's really her and a knife, how did she get close enough to take them on?

Finally, having a secret audio morse code, tying into what Root is saying, is nuts and insanely creative (even if I still haven't heard it :( ) Let me know if someone releases a video with altered sound that can make it more "audible" for those with hearing damage.

I also liked Harold's and Arthur's conversations about the creation of the A.I. Some very "soulful" sentiments over a computer code. From Harold's realization from Arthur's statements of deleting and being reborn, to Harold telling Arthur that he built "it" and Arthur gives that little glance towards the camera (and ding, yellow box :D ) Alot of nice moments to cover up a bit of the hastiness of the bank scene.

I could hear the Morse code! I'm not old! Fantastic!

Man, such a great fucking episode.

- Those feels at the ending, between Arthur, Harold, and The Machine.

tumblr_llxg59j8gp1qii6tmo1_500.gif

- Fuck it, Arthur during the whole thing. The Machine as Finch's child. "Does it make you laugh? Does it make you weep?"

- Root is so fucking hardcore. She's got the sexiest eyes ever. And the scene at the end, between The Machine and Control. That whole scene.

"Why have you done this?"

"The Machine belongs to me."

"No. I don't belong to anyone anymore. You, however, are mine. I protect you. The only thing you love lives at 254 Wendell St, Cambridge Massachusetts. I guard it. Same as I guard you. Do not question my judgments. Do not pursue me, or my agents. Trust in me. I am always watching."

"What do you want?"

"To save you."

"From what? Save me from what?"

- Control is brutal. Torturing Root like that had me cringing. The ear.

- Shaw is the hammer. Reese is the scalpel. Hammer time.

- Reese leaving at the end again :(

- Next episode looks awesome!

- Is Hersh dead?

The AV Club Review brought up a good point:

Reese is still in the dumps as the episode is ending. He feels that what he and Finch have been doing is useless, and worse, he feels somewhat betrayed by The Machine, which was unable to keep Carter alive. “We trusted blindly,” he tells Finch, “but I’m not so sure he cares who matters and who doesn’t.” He seems to have become the mirror image of Root, the disillusioned apostate versus the faithful apostle, and it’s telling that he refers to The Machine as “he.” They disagree on The Machine’s gender, but neither of them thinks of The Machine as “it.”

The he/she bit is just so interesting.

- Oh, and fucking Decima! Greer's back!

Some downsides to the episode, that don't feel as "troublesome" when measured against some of the bigger beats of the episode. Things like:
Control and Vigilance showing up at the bank (heck, the Decima agent too).
Shaw having way more movement and access during a bank "robbery"/hostage situation.
Timing of Reese/Fusco flying from Colorado to NYC.
What exit strategy did Collier/Vigilance have?
Root says the Machine helped take care of Control's guards, but it's really her and a knife, how did she get close enough to take them on?

Well...

- Vigilance got the info from Arthur during one of his info dumps. Control probably was on scene cause they were tracking Vigilance... somehow. Maybe they were just monitoring the police band and went to a bank robbery that didn't feel like a bank robbery. The Decima agent though, that's interesting. Maybe an inside man in Vigilance or Control/ISA?

- Shaw's just that good

- Maybe they weren't happening at the exact same moment? Say Harold is at the bank in the late afternoon while Reese and Fusco are in the cell in the early morning? Hit the tarmac just as word of the robbery is out?

- Collier's a rat. I figured he would figure a way out while his goon squad got offed. Unless Collier also bit it.

- Root's just that good!

Lonestar

Here's a little bit of a creepy realization, before I go to sleep.

The Machine says to Control, "You are Mine. I protect you."

It's not just talking about Control as a person. It means everyone. It guards everyone, and because of that, everyone is "mine".

So while it's got levels of compassion (Arthur's video, continuing to give out POI numbers), and all it wants to do is "Save You." (no reason given, it just wants to save you), there's no reason it might not change it's mind. An Omniscient AI that believe's it has ownership over all. What's to worry.

ZenaxPure

I loved the scene with the machine using Root to talk, Amy Acker pulled it off so well (she is seriously perfect for this role). I don't think anyone should be surprised that they are using Root as a way to give the machine a voice, they've been outright saying this for a long time now. I mean there is a scene with Root (I forget which episode off the top of my head) where she straight up talks about transcending this reality for something more.

Anyway, I liked the episode, but, as strange as it sounds I actually think it moved a bit too fast. There was so much going on that to me it felt kind of rushed. I think I'd preferred it if this had been carried over into another episode.

That said though, good god they tease so much stuff, it gets me excited. Greer being back in the picture, Collier doing who knows what, Root going off to do whatever it is the machine wants to do. Not to mention assuming this story arc is done we never saw the return of that hacker guy from earlier in the season. That wasn't a stray episode, right? The machine has root break him free and sends him off to do something, that has to come back to the surface of the show eventually... right?

Also I never realized how Finch picks his names until that scene in the nursing home. I feel stupid.

Nobility

Banned
I heard the morse code, not that old just yet.

Amy Acker was fantastic, she was meant for this role.

So many things happened this episode. Yet there are still 10 episodes left...

oGi1ay3.gif

Lyonaz

Oh man, I some how missed the episode that aired few weeks back and got to see it with the latest. Best show ever!

I'm totally #TeamRoot! She's so bad ass.

Wiktor

Dear God. THe way they effortlessly weave all those arcs together is so wonderful. Also, while emo Reese isn't my favorite, I'm glad they didn't make him snap out of misery this fast. The damage is so big he needs more healing and looks like next episode will deliver it.

Best show on TV.

Tom_Cody

What is the best way to get into this show? Should I netflix the DVDs and start from the first season or will I be ok if I jump into any given episode? Or something in between?

I watched the first half of the first season when it debuted and I really liked it yet, in spite of that, I stopped watching it for some reason. This year I have started watching bits of Agents of Sheild, The Blacklist, and Almost Human and yet I was never able to shake the feeling that Person of Interest is better that all of those. I want back in.

So, what say you GAF? Should I just pump in or should I try to watch every episode of the series?

Ashok

Banned
Wow, tbh I quit watching the show years ago because I thought it was just another bland procedural. Started watching S3 and this season has been pretty amazing. Shows like The Blacklist and Almost Human need to start taking notes from POI.

Sober

What is the best way to get into this show? Should I netflix the DVDs and start from the first season or will I be ok if I jump into any given episode? Or something in between?

I watched the first half of the first season when it debuted and I really liked it yet, in spite of that, I stopped watching it for some reason. This year I have started watching bits of Agents of Sheild, The Blacklist, and Almost Human and yet I was never able to shake the feeling that Person of Interest is better that all of those. I want back in.

So, what say you GAF? Should I just pump in or should I try to watch every episode of the series?
It's annoying as fuck because trying to watch them on Amazon or iTunes is really the only option unless you can get your hands on the DVDs. Otherwise yeah, you have to tough it out because every episode drops background information to most of the plot threads the writers always have up. Don't skip it even if it seems like 'meh' because it will pay off when it comes down to it. Either way it ends up being a fun procedural even if you don't completely tune into every plot thread the show introduces.

And you watched the first half and enjoyed it, that means you got past the big hump that usually stops people. Because it picks up after that until the end of S1, and then goes faster in S2 and S3 right now is just watching all the work in S1 and S2 just pay off completely right now. Don't skip ahead.

Tom_Cody

It's annoying as fuck because trying to watch them on Amazon or iTunes is really the only option unless you can get your hands on the DVDs. Otherwise yeah, you have to tough it out because every episode drops background information to most of the plot threads the writers always have up. Don't skip it even if it seems like 'meh' because it will pay off when it comes down to it. Either way it ends up being a fun procedural even if you don't completely tune into every plot thread the show introduces.

And you watched the first half and enjoyed it, that means you got past the big hump that usually stops people. Because it picks up after that until the end of S1, and then goes faster in S2 and S3 right now is just watching all the work in S1 and S2 just pay off completely right now. Don't skip ahead.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear it only gets better from there.

I have a discs plan with Netflix so I'll just restart from where I left off.

I probably won't power through it but, in any given week, I get the desire to watch a few episodes of a show like this and it seems to be a tier above the shows I mentioned in my other post. I get two discs at a time with my netflix plan so I'll just plan to ride out the show slowly over the course of a few months.

Lonestar

It'd be great to have the series on Netflix. Thanks ObamaCBS.

Ashok: To make out for missing out on the show for dubious reasons (assuming it's another bland CBS procedural), you have to spread the word on the show. Vote it #1 in GAF's show of the year (if voting isn't over yet) :p

About the Bank, I'm 98% certain it's the same bank from Season 2, where Reese gets captured with the other 3 men in a suit.

The show creates this emotion 3-5 times, every episode

1233445870_ae19b02.gif

Rewatching the scene with Root and Control... the Machine understands love. Watching the scene with Arthur and Finch, the Machine understands compassion, it does a compassionate act for Arthur. The Machine loves its 'father', Finch.

But that would mean, that the Machine is capable of hate too, right? Jealousy maybe? Rage?

Man, that could go sideways very fast.

Waku

IT'S HAMMERTIME

hammertime1fo9l.gif

Seriously, if anyone told me that this fine show would go so full on Neuromancer on us in just two season i would have laughed.

Rewatching the scene with Root and Control... the Machine understands love. Watching the scene with Arthur and Finch, the Machine understands compassion, it does a compassionate act for Arthur. The Machine loves its 'father', Finch.

But that would mean, that the Machine is capable of hate too, right? Jealousy maybe? Rage?

Man, that could go sideways very fast.

I hope Decima tries to conjure up Samaritan out of hybernation only to lose control of it so we can have a full on Neuromancer/Wintermute Situation in this Story.

Also still in awe at how effortlessly Superior Nolan manages to have all Storystrings come together again and again. So many Eps still left this season and this show has allready achived Demi-God Tier just with the last few.

iamalwayswatchingtmqv3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom