• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes me curious how the machine will react to Samaritan if it gets out into the wild. Hatred? Friendship? Jealousy?

Samaritan will be evil, since Decima has it and it's an 'open' system.

Unless Greer plans to use it to transcend his physical body and become immortal.

He did say "My samaritan..."

Edit: How were the ratings?

What is the best way to get into this show? Should I netflix the DVDs and start from the first season or will I be ok if I jump into any given episode? Or something in between?

I watched the first half of the first season when it debuted and I really liked it yet, in spite of that, I stopped watching it for some reason. This year I have started watching bits of Agents of Sheild, The Blacklist, and Almost Human and yet I was never able to shake the feeling that Person of Interest is better that all of those. I want back in.

So, what say you GAF? Should I just pump in or should I try to watch every episode of the series?

After about mid season 1 there is almost no episodes you can just jump in at.
Even the rare pure procedural episodes have some kind of serial stinger.

Sober

IAbout the Bank, I'm 98% certain it's the same bank from Season 2, where Reese gets captured with the other 3 men in a suit.
Nah, the bank here had a much larger atrium. More like the one in TDK than the one in S2 which was more "square".

Samaritan will be evil, since Decima has it and it's an 'open' system.

Unless Greer plans to use it to transcend his physical body and become immortal.

He did say "My samaritan..."

Edit: How were the ratings?
Evil is the easy way to take it but it feels like Samaritan will only have values that Decima will try to program/imprint on it. I doubt this will take fruition soon unless they have a mad good programmer. Remember that Claypool basically tore it's code apart to see if it could fix itself, and it did for a good 30 seconds before it died again. So it'll take a while and even though it doesn't seem like "good" ala the Machine, it'll be an interesting contrast. Remember the Machine is not necessarily "good", since we are talking about an AI that essentially spies on people.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Someone wrote what the morse code was, but I don't know if it's true or not:

INCREASED PERSPERATION. HEART RATE AND BREATHING ELEVATED. INDICATIVE OF FEAR. 20 CLOCK. 2008 ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT TORN. SURGICAL REPAIR PARTIAL SUCN EE SS. 2010 PHYSICAL THERAPY DISCONTINUE AGAINST DOCTORS ADVICE.

Leks

I heard the morse code! Very subtle but I knew it was the Machine communicating with Root.

So, the rest of the third season (and probably the next ones) will be
"Machine's agents" vs Control (I'm sure she won't give up, she will find another way to reach the Machine) vs Vigilance vs Decima
, right? That sounds confused.

Lonestar

I heard the morse code! Very subtle but I knew it was the Machine communicating with Root.

"Machine's agents" vs Control (I'm sure she won't give up, she will find another way to reach the Machine) vs Vigilance vs Decima

http://tvline.com/2014/01/06/person-of-interest-season-3-winter-preview-second-machine/

Article from the day of/before this recent episode. Titled:

Person of Interest EPs Tease Search for Second Machine, 'Cluster#@¢% of Villains' to Come

Vigilance. Decima. Control.

All get decimated at the end of Season 3.

Reese goes into beast mode again.

Leks

shitjustgotreal.gif

Thanks for the info! I hope we'll see Alistair Wesley again, he could be an excellent nemesis for Reese.

Vigilance. Decima. Control.

All get decimated at the end of Season 3.

Reese goes into beast mode again.

Decima decimated.

hestonomegalaugh89poucreww.gif

Lonestar

TeamMachine being by far the smallest group of the 4. Vigilance is hard to decipher, but seems to have solid numbers, Control is pretty much the Government, or at least a definite branch/group. Decima is truly unknown. Is it China, is it a company?

xenist

Reese is the whiniest baby in the history of mankind and kittenkind. What an absolute wuss.

Root continues to kick ass.

TeamMachine being by far the smallest group of the 4. Vigilance is hard to decipher, but seems to have solid numbers, Control is pretty much the Government, or at least a definite branch/group. Decima is truly unknown. Is it China, is it a company?

Private corporation with Chinese backers, I think.

Reese is the whiniest baby in the history of mankind and kittenkind. What an absolute wuss.

Root continues to kick ass.

What do you expect? Carter was the love of his life!

... said no one ever. God, he needs to just stop being so emo. He's purposely putting blinders up so he doesn't have to deal.

ZenaxPure

What do you expect? Carter was the love of his life!

... said no one ever.

Actually I do think Reese had strong feelings for Carter, but, he knew given his life and line of work it was realistically impossible for him to ever pursue anything with Carter.

I think the AV club review comment is spot on, Reese is upset right now because he had blind trust in a machine that was supposed to save people but it couldn't save Carter. As the viewer we know that the machine couldn't actually find Simmons until it was too late, but, Reese just sees it as the machine ignoring Carter.

I think he's more angry at the machine than he is sad at Carter's death.

Actually I do think Reese had strong feelings for Carter, but, he knew given his life and line of work it was realistically impossible for him to ever pursue anything with Carter.

I think the AV club review comment is spot on, Reese is upset right now because he had blind trust in a machine that was supposed to save people but it couldn't save Carter. As the viewer we know that the machine couldn't actually find Simmons until it was too late, but, Reese just sees it as the machine ignoring Carter.

I think he's more angry at the machine than he is sad at Carter's death.

Yeah, you're probably right. I wonder how the Machine will try to get back in his good graces.

Lonestar

There could also be resentment for the Machine being so limited in it's info dump. Either too slow, or just simply not enough information (did her number come up in the 1st episode of the arc or at all?) Angry that his number came up with a little bit more time to prepare, while her's came up right as the attack happened.

It comes back to Carter/Reese dropping their guard once 99.8% of HR was arrested, except for the most obvious personal threat in Simmons. They should have been more careful of their surroundings, and perhaps deep down, that's what's eating away at Reese.

derFeef

I don't know if I heard it, someone confirm me if consist in very subtle clicks. because if so I heard for some seconds...

You could hear it during the shot where the earpiece lies on the phone, and basically for a what must be almost a whole minute after
Root got deafed
and she talks about it.

Tugatrix

You could hear it during the shot where the earpiece lies on the phone, and basically for a what must be almost a whole minute after
Root got deafed
and she talks about it.

I can hear some subtle clicks sometimes, I not very reliable i have some hear loss from a Otitis when i was younger, so i'm not sure if I heard it

I don't know if I heard it, someone confirm me if consist in very subtle clicks. because if so I heard for some seconds...

I definitely heard it.

When I found out what it was, I was relieved that I don't have hearing loss... yet.

io9 recap's up: http://io9.com/the-machine-speaks-on-the-mid-season-premiere-of-person-1497462439

I'd call this whole subplot unbelievable, given Reese's extreme level of badassery, if we didn't already know that he'd already given up once. When we met Reese in the show premiere, he was homeless and half-crazy, his former ideals shattered. It was only Finch's belief in Reese that got the man back together — and his grip has always been tenuous. So it just makes sense that he's losing it again in the wake of the Machine's escape and Carter's pointless murder.

Raises a good point re: Reese.

At any rate, if this is the Machine's point of view, it's both beautiful and terrifying, just as Finch said. It seems to be placing itself in a kind of godlike role as protector of humanity, and enforcer of justice. The fact that it has chosen Root as its interface, however, suggests that the Machine might not be the best judge of character.

Still, the Machine is basically managing to do good, despite a few dead cops here and there. Contrast that with the fate that seems to await Samaritan, in the hands of Vupen, I mean Decima, Greer's cyberwar outfit. Will Samaritan become the Machine's nemesis? That seems too simplistic for this show, which has already made the Machine a fairly ambiguous creature. Yes, it wants to save humanity; but it also asks for humans not to question its judgement, which is always a bad sign in an omniscient entity.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, their point is mainly why I wondered how the machine would react. What if Decima turns Samaritan into something evil, does the machine's will to protect only extend to humanity? What if the machine wants to also "save" Samaritan. I'm curious if the show will build some sort of relationship with the two machines.

tirminyl

This show.

What creeped me out was the machine speaking through Root. It wants to save us. From who? Ourselves? With the ever increasing use of technology in our lives, the machine is truly this omniscient being that believes it is meant to protect us and views us as its subjects. What is the long term goal? Will it build Skynet and obliterate us with T1000's?

Lonestar

This show.

What creeped me out was the machine speaking through Root. It wants to save us. From who? Ourselves? With the ever increasing use of technology in our lives, the machine is truly this omniscient being that believes it is meant to protect us and views us as its subjects. What is the long term goal? Will it build Skynet and obliterate us with T1000's?

That line was my favorite, because it's so vague.

Seems normal to assume it meant "from ourselves" but the way Root follows up with "isn't she great?", it makes me think that machine just wants to "save us." Period. Not from specific enemies or circumstances. Just "Save us."

tirminyl

That line was my favorite, because it's so vague.

Seems normal to assume it meant "from ourselves" but the way Root follows up with "isn't she great?", it makes me think that machine just wants to "save us." Period. Not from specific enemies or circumstances. Just "Save us."

I know. I was hopeful at what Root said after but then I have the POI podcast guys and their theories playing in my head of a pissed off machine.

Apoc29

Shaw killed the one-liners!

"I've got finesse coming out of my ass."
"Sometimes you need a scalpel, sometimes you need a hammer. It's hammer time."

Root was looking like Lara Croft...I really wanted to protect her.

faridmon

I didn't like The latest Episode as much. The chemistry wasn't there and the episode felt a bit incoherent.

Having said that, Root was Boss!

ZenaxPure

I think the next episode will focus on bringing Reese back into the fold.

Agreed, I think it's a bit silly to think they would drop Reese from the show. Personally I don't see either Reese or Finch leaving at any point. They've been the glue of the show since the start.

Well, maybe the final season or something.

Wiktor

To behonest the show is at a point were it doesn't need Reese.
No way. Shaw is nice and all, but she can't deliver the brute force Reese can and with everything going to hell it will be needed. Replace John with Shaw in the revenge scenes, it just doesn't work.

Reese is at the core the heart and the fist of the show.

xenist

No way. Shaw is nice and all, but she can't deliver the brute force Reese can and with everything going to hell it will be needed. Replace John with Shaw in the revenge scenes, it just doesn't work.

Reese is at the core the heart and the fist of the show.

For some of his scenes he felt like he was about to start wearing eyeliner and cutting himself. I have no use for him like that. Caviezel isn't charismatic enough to make it interesting.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the episode with my 50 year old mother and she heard the morse code. I think some of you oughta take care of your ears.

Anyway, didn't the admin privileges ran out after 24 hours? Root has this relationship with the machine since the machine choose her as her interface. Doesn't mean she's can say "give me a car" and she gets it. The machine directs her.

ZenaxPure

Watched the episode with my 50 year old mother and she heard the morse code. I think some of you oughta take care of your ears.

Anyway, didn't the admin privileges ran out after 24 hours? Root has this relationship with the machine since the machine choose her as her interface. Doesn't mean she's can say "give me a car" and she gets it. The machine directs her.

Yeah, admin was only for 24 hours, but, control wouldn't know this. Root explained it to her that she wasn't an admin anymore, she was the interface for the machine in the real world.

The triggered admin access that Root and Reese had only lasted 24 hours. Then the machine decided to permanently give it to Root.

I want to see what Reese would do with full permanent admin access.

I actually want to see why The Machine wants to drag John back into the fold instead of giving Finch somebody new. I think the Machine is attached to John, emotionally.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I want to see what Reese would do with full permanent admin access.

I actually want to see why The Machine wants to drag John back into the fold instead of giving Finch somebody new. I think the Machine is attached to John, emotionally.
Maybe the Machine was behind Carter's death? The whole HR subplot was a clever maneuver by the Machine to eliminate the greatest threat to its love for John: Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom