• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
#TeamKneeCap

I wonder if the MI6 dude will ever show up again. This show needs a nemesis for Reese, I don't know if killing off Kara so early was a good idea.

Pretty good one-off. At first, I thought we were gonna get a sexy Asian Catwoman-esque recurring antagonist for Shaw, but no, that didn't happen. Still a good episode though. The guest star's accent was so sexy. Swoon.

Lol'd pretty hard at the check-in lady complimenting Harold on John. Ha.

AV Club review's up: http://www.avclub.com/review/provenance-107500

I hope Reese's amazing mustache makes a return.

Still trying to make us have feels for Carter. Heartwarming team drink at the end though. I hope with that final shot, they let Carter and Reese's mopiness rest.

Also, Shaw in that dress. Goddamn. Shaw and Lin in black tank tops and all sweaty and about to steal something. So sexy. So sexy.

#TeamKneeCap

I wonder if the MI6 dude will ever show up again. This show needs a nemesis for Reese, I don't know if killing off Kara so early was a good idea.

He's biding his time. He'll be back.

finchfndmn.gif

xenist

Reese with the last minute effort to bum everyone the fuck out. Denied by Fusco. Serves him right, that passive-agressive miserablist.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Great episode!

Shaw is starting to smile more and more.

Leks

Pretty good episode with a lot of humor after weeks of suspense, action and Reese's depression, it is rather enjoyable to take a break sometimes. The series is going back into its old habits.

Oh, ZenaxPure's avatar is best avatar.

Apoc29

Shaw did fuck all in that heist except give Lin a boost and look hot and sweaty. Not that I'm complaining.

Lin seems like she has the type of skills The Flock will call upon again some time in the future.

Shaw did fuck all in that heist except give Lin a boost and look hot and sweaty. Not that I'm complaining.

Lin seems like she has the type of skills The Flock will call upon again some time in the future.
Yeah originally I was thinking she might in some part be related to Decima. I could see her be a recurring character. She offers something a bit different to the gang that could come in handy for missions. Also the machine has been getting a lot more decisive as to what numbers it is giving the gang. Almost every number its given to the gang, this season, has in some way related to the overarching plots.

Sober

Yeah originally I was thinking she might in some part be related to Decima. I could see her be a recurring character. She offers something a bit different to the gang that could come in handy for missions. Also the machine has been getting a lot more decisive as to what numbers it is giving the gang. Almost every number its given to the gang, this season, has in some way related to the overarching plots.
Eh, I don't think so, the writers and producers probably want to move up and start telling more important stories with the show rather than just spinning their wheels on the same "white collar dude in trouble with the mob"-esque situations. We had plenty of that in S1 and S2, albeit they are very high quality considering. They probably still get those but end up dealing with it in no time flat.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Eh, I don't think so, the writers and producers probably want to move up and start telling more important stories with the show rather than just spinning their wheels on the same "white collar dude in trouble with the mob"-esque situations. We had plenty of that in S1 and S2, albeit they are very high quality considering. They probably still get those but end up dealing with it in no time flat.

Think they planned out the large breaks in schedule, with "lighter/funnier" episodes. No use having large metastory episodes, spread weeks apart. Though, they did that with the 2 parter surrounding the Christmas break.

Wiktor

Nice palette clenser after all the gut-wretching drama. The humor was especially good this ep.

Aslo...dat Shaw in dress.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

I couldn't tell if Shaw was marveling at Lin for Lin's acrobatic abilities or if she was falling in love.

Error

Holy crap, there was actual dialog from The Machine during Root's torture scene? I could hear the morse code noise, but I didn't think they would give the machine actual dialog. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!! THIS SHOW!!!!

edit: Just read the dialog, wow The Machine is scary. No wonder Finch went through so much trouble to prevent it from developing an intelligence.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow, I believe it'll end up like a certain Metal Gear Solid game (not mentioning which one because of spoilers).

PsychBat!

Banned
Because the rest of you guys are all like "OMFG SERVALENCE" or thinking the Machine is becoming evil, or that their going to figure out how to destroy it somehow.

Like that's gonna change people's opinions of the machine. Just makes it seem more badass. I'm confused that you thought that.

Lonestar

No disservice to the Walking Dead, as I still watch it (though not as feverishly), but man, would I like POI to have a chunk of it's ratings. When the show talking about another show, has better demographics as POI... :( :( :(

Article with Nolan and Plageman about the future of the show

PERSON OF INTEREST: Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plageman Tease an
All-Flashback Episode
, Expanding the Series, Why They’re Not Interested in Airing 200 Episodes, and What’s to Come

KingKong

So when does this show get good, or at least serialized? I'm almost done with season 1 and it's just... meh, I can't take another episode of 'machine spits out number, they spend 40 minutes doing random crap and solve the problem in the last 5' and skimming the season 2 episode summaries it looks like it stays that way

Error

No disservice to the Walking Dead, as I still watch it (though not as feverishly), but man, would I like POI to have a chunk of it's ratings. When the show talking about another show, has better demographics as POI... :( :( :(

Article with Nolan and Plageman about the future of the show
The Walking Dead problem is that none of the characters are immediately likeable, even fan-favorite Daryl is pretty meh to me. Bear in POI has more charisma and is more likeable than the entire cast of The Walking Dead IMO. If I don't care about the characters, then I don't care about the situations they get put in, and if I don't care about about what happens to them then there's no tension. It's just boring.

btw is it a one-week break or a two-weeks break for POI?

So when does this show get good, or at least serialized? I'm almost done with season 1 and it's just... meh, I can't take another episode of 'machine spits out number, they spend 40 minutes doing random crap and solve the problem in the last 5' and skimming the season 2 episode summaries it looks like it stays that way
Man I think I even enjoyed those episodes because of the interactions between the characters and how well they play off each other. Season 2 has "case-of-the-week" episodes too but they also tend to fit in more mythology during those episodes than in S1, in S3 the series becomes much more serialized.

Lonestar

The Walking Dead problem is that none of the characters are immediately likeable, even fan-favorite Daryl is pretty meh to me. Bear in POI has more charisma and is more likeable than the entire cast of The Walking Dead IMO. If I don't care about the characters, then I don't care about the situations they get put in, and if I don't care about about what happens to them then there's no tension. It's just boring.

btw is it a one-week break or a two-weeks break for POI?

Man I think I even enjoyed those episodes because of the interactions between the characters and how well they play off each other. Season 2 has "case-of-the-week" episodes too but they also tend to fit in more mythology during those episodes than in S1, in S3 the series becomes much more serialized.
February 25th or so. Weeeeeeks from now.

ZenaxPure

So when does this show get good

Episode 1 ;)

or at least serialized?

Well... never. The show is not (and probably never will be) a fully serialized show. I have to ask if you are paying attention, though. Because while some episodes are 40 minutes of number stuff, quite literally half of the first season (11 episodes) have flashbacks that fill in more of the past and build out the world, and, plenty of the other episodes have connecting stories (for example Carter investigating Reese takes up a good chunk of the first half of the season). Saying the show is 40 minutes of random crap and 5 minutes of solving isn't really true. Most of the time it's closer to 20 minutes of "random crap" and 20 minutes of world building/storyline stuff. And in a lot of cases it's 0 minutes of "random crap" since there are characters that have intro episodes in season 1 that go on to become major or recurring characters in various storylines.

That said, season 2 and 3 are dramatically different because like 5 or 6 of the storylines they set up in season 1 get expanded or concluded in 2 and 3. The way I've always looked at it is season 1 is focused entirely on building the world and placing characters in it and then seasons 2 and 3 have those characters and stories interacting with each other. The longer the show goes on more and more of the weekly numbers they encounter have some sort of connection to an ongoing story in one way or another (this is especially true starting with the middle of the second season).

Sober

It's still very much a procedural, though just the premise alone makes it much more interesting than your typical cop procedural. They take the premise to a bunch of fun twists. By the end of season 2 and moving into season 3, they definitely still use the procedural aspect but they are using it more often to use it to tell more serial/mythology parts of the show instead of just doing the same cases ad infinitum.

The show does a better job with ratio of procedural:serial elements and has multiple plots going at it. They never beat you over the head with previouslies, so maybe when you put it together you feel smarter because you didn't get the 30-60 second PREVIOUSLY ON exposition dump before the show actually starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom