• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Watching the episode again, I wonder what changes Harold made to the code on the laptop.

It's whatever code he put in that let the machine know how to fix that potential backdoor in, while also freeing it from the shackles of deleting itself every night. Also, it let it be able to decide to move itself to a new location. All of that lead up through Season 1 and 2, and the end result was shown in the Season 2 finale.

Basically:

Laptop gets sold to China, they look at it, then are wiped out by Decima (question is did they not have time to find the laptop or not, because it was still there for Reese and Kara), R&K get the laptop, get blowed up, winds up in the hands of Decima, which is looked at and decided to be used to gain access to the backdoor into The Machine. Kara is given that task, and does it. Machine starts to go crazy, leading to a shut down and a reboot, but not the one Decima planned for, but the one Finch wanted.

Linius

I can sleep very happy tonight.

Thank you CBS!

Too bad for you someone uses a Liverpool goal celebration against Everton to celebrate the renewal a few posts down :p

I finally saw the latest episode and that was some good shit. All about the bigger plot and that's just great. Fun to see some background about Mr. Reese and all that. Really good episode.

News Bot

Banned
I've been reading the summary of Matsya Nyaya, and it got me thinking:

Greer got a team ready to go to Ordos.

John and Kara go there too, and when they arrive, all but one Chinese are dead. The one who is left alive says: "They took The Machine". Kara puts the laptop in her backpack.

After the bombing of the site, Kara is in a hospital and Greer takes the laptop from her backpack.

So I wonder, did Greer's teams got there before John and Kara got there, or did he merely appeared after the fact?

Did another party take the machine, or was it an American Special Forces team?

Or is it just a continuity error?

I thought Greer's team killed the engineers and recovered the laptop, but after seeing the missile, went back and found Kara. I'm pretty sure the laptop John and Kara find is different from the one that Greer shows to Kara in the hospital. John even alludes to the possibility that what they found may have been planted to throw them off.

Sober

New Podcast is of Interest is up download it here:

http://www.flashforcast.com/poi.xml

Its from last ep RAM
Dem factual errors that need correcting:

• pilot boxing doesn't count (Reese yellow box in the pilot), wasn't really established until S1 started production - in fact all the surveillance footage formatting in the pilot is vastly different from normal production
  • boxes in surveillance footage in flashbacks are labeled on known data in the present. Reese doesn't know about the Machine during his CIA stint.
  • CIA is not really a faction in the grand storyline, mostly the ISA since Control might still want to take control of the Machine again and was heavily involved in trying to acquire Samaritan.
  • Greer works for Decima, but they aren't "bad guys" in the sense of want to take over the world Saturday cartoon villain - yet anyway. They could be setting up private corporations vs. nation states with access mass surveillance software. But important note is there is not enough known information about Decima to make an educated guess just yet.
  • A tangent off that but Samaritan has to be crafted to what Decima wants. Remember that the breakthrough that it could self-anneal or heal itself despite the code being damaged by Claypool came only the day before Finch's Machine was picked by the government as the actual thing they would implement, shutting every other project down.
  • Johnathan Nolan did not write RAM
  • 2008 flashback in Blue Code could just be a nothing scene like one of the podcasters said - it could become related but it doesn't involve Ingram/Casey/Finch/Dillinger/anyone in RAM - it could simply just be generic "US software secrets" which is more of set dressing and sets the tone of the whole show. (And since the Machine hasn't been shipped out until 2009, so the only people who know about it or have access are really Ingram and Finch)

ScRYeD

I thought Greer's team killed the engineers and recovered the laptop, but after seeing the missile, went back and found Kara. I'm pretty sure the laptop John and Kara find is different from the one that Greer shows to Kara in the hospital. John even alludes to the possibility that what they found may have been planted to throw them off.
I think they (decima) just copied the Machine data to another laptop and left the original laptop there. Then Decima used the code to make the virus that attacks the machine.

Lonestar

Can't tell if this is an extended promo from the one at the end of last weeks

About the pilot and John's "yellow box", it's more than likely issues of being a Pilot episode. It has a slightly different look and feel from the rest of the show. I've also wondered if the machine and it's markings are based on what it knows in the present tense, even when it "goes back in time" to review events (and hence gives Reese a yellow box).

But really, it's never been a huge plot point, more of a nice little fact to be found. It wasn't until the last episode of season 1, before that little box became an interesting premise (for anyone that caught that "Caroline Turning" had a yellow box on her the entire episode, but it wasn't until the end you knew who she was)

Can't tell if this is an extended promo from the one at the end of last weeks

About the pilot and John's "yellow box", it's more than likely issues of being a Pilot episode. It has a slightly different look and feel from the rest of the show. I've also wondered if the machine and it's markings are based on what it knows in the present tense, even when it "goes back in time" to review events (and hence gives Reese a yellow box).

But really, it's never been a huge plot point, more of a nice little fact to be found. It wasn't until the last episode of season 1, before that little box became an interesting premise (for anyone that caught that "Caroline Turning" had a yellow box on her the entire episode, but it wasn't until the end you knew who she was)

Honestly, I was blown away when we saw blue boxes.

I was like... "BLUE!? WHAT!?"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty cool that at no point they said anything about the yellow box, it was just something people realized.

I still remember my hype when Relevance came around and I saw a blue box.

EDIT: NTGYK, we think so similar hahaha.

Lonestar

Also, watching a bit of the last episode, and that last conversation between Dillinger and Finch was nice. Dillinger wondering if Finch was there to stop him, or bury him if the deals go south (to protect anyone from knowing of Finch's work).

He was right about both :lol

The Control actress is ok, and does Cold Menacing well, but I do miss the Special Counsel. Bad guy, but I liked his strange sensibilities. That, and Jay Saunders > Camryn Manheim.

Lonestar

It's also been awhile, but here are the known episode titles to come:

Note that there is for sure an episode next week (3/25/14), so at least that meant 3 episodes in a row, and March Maddness is during this time, so better than last year.

Tomorrows (#17) episode is "/" or the slash icon.
Written by David Slack (Season 1's Judge, Building Super, and the great NSA agent who finds out about the machine episode. Season 2's Newspaper Report, Carter "Interrogates" Reese, and the penultimate episode. He's only done season 3's Russian Girl Spy episode). Seems like he might be the 3rd highest level writer on the staff, besides the 2 show runners (Nolan, Plageman)

Directed by Jeff Gibson (1st time directing a POI episode)

Ep 18 is
Allegiance
Written by Tony Camerino (He's only done the Season 2 episode with the poisoned via radiation Doctor)
Directed by Jeffrey Hunt (directed alot of episodes. Started on Number Crunch in season 1 (4 people find drug money and get knocked off), The Ambassador's daughter episode, some of David Slack's episodes, and most recently the Asian Art Thief episode)

Ep 19 is
Most Likely To
Written by Denise Thé & Melissa Scrivner-Love: Both long time writers who often pair up with each other and the 2 show runners. Denise on the better episodes, some of Melissa's aren't as great - 4C The Airplane episode, and the Husband and Wife murder scheme that Reese lets shoot each other at the end. Denise was on some big Carter episodes (Get Carter and The Crossing) as well as season 2 and 3 openers.

Directed by Kevin Hooks (1st episode)

Ep 20 is
Death Benefit
Written by Erik Mountain & Lucas O’Connor (Erik has done a few Root episodes, as well as Many Happy Returns (Marshal Jennings and Reese's flashbacks) and Dead Reckoning (Kara, Reese and Snow in season 2). Lucas has only done 2 (The Old Folks Poker and the 1st half of the Samaritan 2 parter).

Directed by Richard J. Lewis (Directed alot of Root episodes. Root Cause, Caroline Turning, The Contingency, God Mode, the 2 episodes starting the Samaritan plot, as well as the "pi" episode/Finch as a Teacher)

Ep 21 is
Beta
Written by Sean Hennen & Dan Dietz: Sean has done alot of episodes (Foe/retired German spy episode, the stock broker episode, the Serial Killer in the Hurricane episode, the Alistair Whestley/Hospital episode, and the episode where Carter finds out who HR is (and kills Terny). Dan has done the "pi" episode, the episode that further expanded on Vigilance (Root's 1st Cartehenia "save"), and the 911 dispatcher episode recently.

Directed by Frederick E.O. Toye (Directed Elias's reveal, Many Happy Returns, and The Crossing (Carters last episode)

Ep 22 is
A House Divided
Written by Amanda Segel (lots of episodes, more than a few with Nolan. Intro to Shaw, Elias' Reveal, Elias' killing the rest of the mob, and Season 2's Penultimate episode)

Directed by Chris Fisher (Directed a couple episodes, but most noteworthy was The Devil's Share, the post Carter episode)

Episode 23 has no name yet, but is written by Dan Plageman (Showrunner) and directed by Chris Fisher (so, he does the last 2 episodes)

Tamanon

Banned
I think we can safely say Root will factor heavily into tomorrow's episode with that title. "/" in Linux/Unix is the Root directory.

Note that there is for sure an episode next week (3/25/14), so at least that meant 3 episodes in a row, and March Maddness is during this time, so better than last year.

Tomorrows (#17) episode is "/" or the slash icon.
Written by David Slack (Season 1's Judge, Building Super, and the great NSA agent who finds out about the machine episode. Season 2's Newspaper Report, Carter "Interrogates" Reese, and the penultimate episode. He's only done season 3's Russian Girl Spy episode). Seems like he might be the 3rd highest level writer on the staff, besides the 2 show runners (Nolan, Plageman)

Directed by Jeff Gibson (1st time directing a POI episode)

Ep 18 is
Allegiance
Written by Tony Camerino (He's only done the Season 2 episode with the poisoned via radiation Doctor)
Directed by Jeffrey Hunt (directed alot of episodes. Started on Number Crunch in season 1 (4 people find drug money and get knocked off), The Ambassador's daughter episode, some of David Slack's episodes, and most recently the Asian Art Thief episode)

Ep 19 is
Most Likely To
Written by Denise Thé & Melissa Scrivner-Love: Both long time writers who often pair up with each other and the 2 show runners. Denise on the better episodes, some of Melissa's aren't as great - 4C The Airplane episode, and the Husband and Wife murder scheme that Reese lets shoot each other at the end. Denise was on some big Carter episodes (Get Carter and The Crossing) as well as season 2 and 3 openers.

Directed by Kevin Hooks (1st episode)

Ep 20 is
Death Benefit
Written by Erik Mountain & Lucas O’Connor (Erik has done a few Root episodes, as well as Many Happy Returns (Marshal Jennings and Reese's flashbacks) and Dead Reckoning (Kara, Reese and Snow in season 2). Lucas has only done 2 (The Old Folks Poker and the 1st half of the Samaritan 2 parter).

Directed by Richard J. Lewis (Directed alot of Root episodes. Root Cause, Caroline Turning, The Contingency, God Mode, the 2 episodes starting the Samaritan plot, as well as the "pi" episode/Finch as a Teacher)

Ep 21 is
Beta
Written by Sean Hennen & Dan Dietz: Sean has done alot of episodes (Foe/retired German spy episode, the stock broker episode, the Serial Killer in the Hurricane episode, the Alistair Whestley/Hospital episode, and the episode where Carter finds out who HR is (and kills Terny). Dan has done the "pi" episode, the episode that further expanded on Vigilance (Root's 1st Cartehenia "save"), and the 911 dispatcher episode recently.

Directed by Frederick E.O. Toye (Directed Elias's reveal, Many Happy Returns, and The Crossing (Carters last episode)

Ep 22 is
A House Divided
Written by Amanda Segel (lots of episodes, more than a few with Nolan. Intro to Shaw, Elias' Reveal, Elias' killing the rest of the mob, and Season 2's Penultimate episode)

Directed by Chris Fisher (Directed a couple episodes, but most noteworthy was The Devil's Share, the post Carter episode)

Episode 23 has no name yet, but is written by Dan Plageman (Showrunner) and directed by Chris Fisher (so, he does the last 2 episodes)

By the way, I always appreciate you gathering up this info.

It's a good sign that I like every episode listed here, so I'm not worried about the future ones.

I shouldn't have watched the extended promo for this week's episode. The wait has been killing me.

God damn you, CBS. But, uh, thanks for renewing it for another season!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The description of the staff gets me so hyped. Thanks a lot!

Sober

Ep 20 is
Death Benefit

Erik Mountain did not write all the flashbacks in Many Happy Returns, Nolan wrote most of them. They are in an earlier revision of the pilot script, nearly word-for-word what we see in that same episode.

I think we can safely say Root will factor heavily into tomorrow's episode with that title. "/" in Linux/Unix is the Root directory.
The episode title is "/" but it's pretty much "Root Path".

Lonestar

Well, it's not like shows are written by only one person. Pretty sure it's a writing room, with leads chosen. Odds are, the Marshal/Present day stuff might have been his contribution, finding a way to include the unreleased portion of the pilot. Which, was slightly there, but not completely filled in (All I remember from the extended pilot was mentions of New Rochelle)

Sober

Well, it's not like shows are written by only one person. Pretty sure it's a writing room, with leads chosen. Odds are, the Marshal/Present day stuff might have been his contribution, finding a way to include the unreleased portion of the pilot. Which, was slightly there, but not completely filled in (All I remember from the extended pilot was mentions of New Rochelle)
Actually Nolan had most of it out but he and Erik probably took what they had there and finished those parts up. Bus->Hospital->Arndt's home was actually all written as one set of flashes in one act rather than paced out (the others were the 9/11/01 flashes and Reese coming to terms with re-enlisting, and I believe the airport scene was there as well). They probably re-wrote that set (to have the ending where Reese attacks him) as well as re-doing the New Rochelle investigation that Carter looks into (which was originally in the pilot as well). Mountain wrote the teleplay though, so he probably penned the majority of the present day case.

Sober

Before I forget again!

"/" (read as: Root Path)
The Machine assigns Root to seek out a janitor with a mysterious past, but when her very presence puts his life in danger, Finch also receives his number.

Dropping another hot steamin pile of mythology all over your faces

Sober

There are a few duds here and there but even most of the standalone with no real other plot arcs firing are still fun to rewatch.

Lonestar

Most episodes to me are fully watchable. There are some slower episodes, but most have somethings worth noting.

Only episode that never caught my attention, was that early season 1 episode, with the bank robbery.

Closest I can figure to the low end of quality, would be the Super/Stalker/Wheelchair Reese episode, the Taxi Cab Baseball player episode.

I even liked the 3rd season episode with the husband and wife shooting each other at the end. The actress wasn't very good, but I liked the twist and turns, trying to figure out if she killed her husband or not.

I have seen people say they watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 1 and got bored, and I don't understand. Someone can find Cura Te Ipsum slow/bad? Great cliffhanger scene between Reese and the Serial Rapist. Linda Cardellini. Good times.

Sober

Most episodes to me are fully watchable. There are some slower episodes, but most have somethings worth noting.

Only episode that never caught my attention, was that early season 1 episode, with the bank robbery.

Closest I can figure to the low end of quality, would be the Super/Stalker/Wheelchair Reese episode, the Taxi Cab Baseball player episode.

I even liked the 3rd season episode with the husband and wife shooting each other at the end. The actress wasn't very good, but I liked the twist and turns, trying to figure out if she killed her husband or not.

I have seen people say they watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 1 and got bored, and I don't understand. Someone can find Cura Te Ipsum slow/bad? Great cliffhanger scene between Reese and the Serial Rapist. Linda Cardellini. Good times.
Zoe Morgan is 1x06 and Elias is 1x07, they just missed those. It kinda takes off from there but it takes a while for S1 to build up.

ZenaxPure

There are a few duds here and there but even most of the standalone with no real other plot arcs firing are still fun to rewatch.

I kinda feel like there aren't that many pure standalone ones anyway so I don't mind it that much, especially early on (s1 especialllly) episodes like that is where we got the flashbacks which are super important.

That said, I don't think there are any episodes I actually hate, whenever I rewatch the show I typically do every episode.

Lonestar

I do not remember the taxicab baseball player.

Who?

Episode was called COD

He was a Cuban expat, came over to start a baseball career, but an injury cut him short. He was giving lots of money to another prominent Cuban to pay for his Wife and son's moving cost to America.

He gets a cab fare where a guy left behind a laptop that has some code that some European Mobsters want, and they will kill to get it back. Episode also had Michelle from 24 on it as a Secret Service agent.

Nobility

Banned
I am in 100% hype mode.

Clear path towards the end of the season. We can only hope to avoid March Madness shenanigans.

David Slack is writing this episode? My expectations just went up! :D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna predict the future and say that there will be a slight Watch_Dogs reference! Edit: Maybe Hitman. I dunno.

SpyGuy239

best damn show on TV in awhile now. Excited for every new episode every week and haven't been disappointed.

As well always excellent choices in music with the things happening on screen - The Who, Radiohead etc.

P Lease stop with the damn breaks, you're killing me :p|

Tamanon

Banned
I still have no idea how the machine is communicating with her. I hope they go over it. Unless she implanted some wireless thing inside her, which is completely possible for a crazy woman like Root.

Nobility

Banned
Well, then...

That's how you start an episode.

JeAzLO7.gif

Lonestar

Well I guess her God Mode hasn't changed.

I still have no idea how the machine is communicating with her. I hope they go over it. Unless she implanted some wireless thing inside her, which is completely possible for a crazy woman like Root.

I assume she has an ear piece in her good ear, where The Machine talks to her, and I want to say she has limited input on things she wants to know. Seems like she's just a mouthpiece for The Machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom