• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinest

Something which I never noticed before, but was mentioned in the Podcast of Interest for this episode was that the seasons intro has circles around the square boxes, which is very semaritian like.

torontoml

Something which I never noticed before, but was mentioned in the Podcast of Interest for this episode was that the seasons intro has circles around the square boxes, which is very semaritian like.
Do you have an example, haven't noticed myself. And how would it be similar to Samaritan?

Sober

Seems like a bit of a coincidence, since they were doing it this season (circles around the boxes in the intro) from the start.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I just want to say thanks for not describing the promo in here. I really love to see a new post being made in this thread and not getting spoiled.

Display Error

Neo Member
I love the fact that the writer for the week's episode (and sometimes a cast member or two) live tweet during the airing of the episode (on Eastern time). I would love if PoI got popular enough (I don't know why it hasn't yet) to the point where an episode would air and the Internet would be awash in discussion and speculation over the story arch.

I love the fact that the writer for the week's episode (and sometimes a cast member or two) live tweet during the airing of the episode (on Eastern time). I would love if PoI got popular enough (I don't know why it hasn't yet) to the point where an episode would air and the Internet would be awash in discussion and speculation over the story arch.
It is popular. But it's popular with CBSs demographic, not the social media demographic.

Sober

The show is definitely popular regardless of which audience you mean unless you mean it doesn't seem to be as popular as say TWD or GoT. Unless you're wondering why the POI thread doesn't move as fast as say, Arrow's.

trinest

I thought we knew that spoiler for awhile now? (if it is what I think it is you are mentioning)

Seems like a bit of a coincidence, since they were doing it this season (circles around the boxes in the intro) from the start.

Nope, watch for example the episode which has the original opening this season. Boxes just normal.

This is painfully obviously semaritan.

Oh and don't believe me, watch that latest promo which as some lovely spoilerishious things in it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I started watching this recently, on episode 5. Apart from the ridiculous premise I like it, when does Amy Acker join tho?

ZenaxPure

I started watching this recently, on episode 5. Apart from the ridiculous premise I like it, when does Amy Acker join tho?

Ridiculous premise? Interesting, I guess maybe it's because you're just early on but I don't think anything in the show is that far out of the realm of possibility.

Anyhow, don't want to spoil much but Acker doesn't become a regular until this season (s3).

I don't think anything will top the three arch episode starting with Endgame. Hope they get a Emmy nod for their work.

Yeah man, I know it won't happen but Kevin Chapman deserves some awards for his performance in Endgame, the flashback, the 2 scenes with Simmons + strangle face is some of the my favorite acting in any show in a longggggg time.

Sober

Nope, watch for example the episode which has the original opening this season. Boxes just normal.

This is painfully obviously semaritan.

Oh and don't believe me, watch that latest promo which as some lovely spoilerishious things in it.
If you mean these , then they have always been there this season, there hasn't been a difference from when Samaritan was a thing. That's not to say that wasn't intentional, but if we're being really nitpicky, I think that's CBS cutting the promo there so not sure if that quick cut was
meant to be Samaritan POV or it was edited in because they will be showing Samaritan's POV (but that scene doesn't have the surveillance POV) or someone hacked something together and besides, it's large white circle + triangle which is different from the title sequence.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ridiculous premise? Interesting, I guess maybe it's because you're just early on but I don't think anything in the show is that far out of the realm of possibility.

Anyhow, don't want to spoil much but Acker doesn't become a regular until this season.

A machine that monitors every person in America and determines if they part of a criminal plot and pops out the social security number of your target is not ridiculous? That's not far from getting your assassination targets from a Loom :)

I'm not trashing it, I'm enjoying it so far, but that's pretty out there. And boo on Amy only being in S3

Person of Interest having a ridiculous premise is an opinion I remember hearing a lot when the show premiered. I thought it sounded ridiculous, too, but I gave it a shot because of Jonah. And of course with everything we've learned about the world since the show started, it has been looking less ridiculous and more eerily prescient with every passing day.

And now with the third season, especially, I'd say the show is one of the more refreshing and interesting takes on Artificial Intelligence I've seen in the sci-fi genre. It's set in the present day, it addresses news stories affecting our lives right now, and it creates a plausible and coherent vision of what the first AI "system" might look like, who would build it, what it would be used for, etc.

I saw Transcendence the other week, and I gotta say, it makes me appreciate something like Person of Interest a hell of a lot more.

And boo on Amy only being in S3

She's not a regular until S3 but don't worry, she's a pretty big character throughout the entire series. Like Zenax I don't want to spoil much but keep watching. :)

Leeness

I thought we knew that spoiler for awhile now? (if it is what I think it is you are mentioning).

I don't think I've ever seen it in the show before.

FINE I'M JUST GONNA SAY IT, SPOILERS FOR THE PROMO/NEXT EPISODE

There's a quick shot of Grace with a yellow box, I'm pretty sure. Did someone tell her or did she figure it out on her own?

ZenaxPure

Person of Interest having a ridiculous premise is an opinion I remember hearing a lot when the show premiered. I thought it sounded ridiculous, too, but I gave it a shot because of Jonah. And of course with everything we've learned about the world since the show started, it has been looking less ridiculous and more eerily prescient with every passing day.

I agree, I just didn't want to explain any further since he is just starting out in the show where you have basically none of the development that makes it all seem more believable.

I think the machine version of an AI is pretty close to how a real world AI of that scale would play out. It's not just a computer with a personality as is often the case of AI in fiction, it's still bound by certain rules and logic, but, it can make its own decisions and judgement calls as we saw in this past episode.

There's a quick shot of Grace with a yellow box, I'm pretty sure. Did someone tell her or did she figure it out on her own?

I imagine that
Harold tells her the truth, so the Machine recategorizes her.

Sober

Never trust the network promos

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I imagine that
Harold tells her the truth, so the Machine recategorizes her.

Could further the theory that once someone knows of the Machine, all previous recorded history of them will show them to be marked in a yellow box, even predating the Machine (i.e. why Reese had a yellow box in the past, before Finch told him about the Machine). She finds out, and in a flashback to their backstory in the museum, she has a yellow box. Think of it like a machine categorizing data.

Baskcm

just blasted through season 1 and 2 on netflix and damn this show no matter how many times you watch it gets better and better.

Also makes ya wonder if the machine existed how scary it would be

Lonestar

just blasted through season 1 and 2 on netflix and damn this show no matter how many times you watch it gets better and better.

Also makes ya wonder if the machine existed how scary it would be

Yeah, we've theorized about the same. Depending on if you could get the machine to do more than just information gathering, like turning off electric systems, taking control of auto-pilot systems (planes or cars, since it seems possible if you could make the brakes cease to function). You can think of the horrible things that can be done with that kind of system.

If it was just informational, then you still can do alot of damage. Financially you can wipe out people. You can find locations on anyone and send men after them. You can gather information to blackmail people.

Tons and tons of possible bad outcomes. Unlock all the cells in a prison, crash an elevator, turn off cameras to allow a break in, turn off the power in a hospital (and to people on ventilators/other life saving equipment). Crash Airplanes, or even something like force all planes to be grounded-taking out transportation. Turning off the water supply. Reversing the flow of sewage (now that would just be mean).

Sober

Yeah, we've theorized about the same. Depending on if you could get the machine to do more than just information gathering, like turning off electric systems, taking control of auto-pilot systems (planes or cars, since it seems possible if you could make the brakes cease to function). You can think of the horrible things that can be done with that kind of system.

If it was just informational, then you still can do alot of damage. Financially you can wipe out people. You can find locations on anyone and send men after them. You can gather information to blackmail people.

Tons and tons of possible bad outcomes. Unlock all the cells in a prison, crash an elevator, turn off cameras to allow a break in, turn off the power in a hospital (and to people on ventilators/other life saving equipment). Crash Airplanes, or even something like force all planes to be grounded-taking out transportation. Turning off the water supply. Reversing the flow of sewage (now that would just be mean).
Yep, sounds like Samaritan.

Lonestar

Press release on the finale

DESPERATE ACTIONS ARE TAKEN AND STARTLING REVELATIONS ARE UNCOVERED AS THE BATTLE TO PREVENT THE AI PROGRAM SAMARITAN FROM COMING ONLINE REACHES ITS CONCLUSION, ON THE THIRD SEASON FINALE OF “PERSON OF INTEREST,” TUESDAY, MAY 13

“Deus Ex Machina” – The team takes desperate actions in its race to prevent the malevolent AI program Samaritan from coming online and making them its first targets. Meanwhile, the months-long battle with the anti-surveillance terrorist group Vigilance comes to a shocking conclusion, on the third season finale of PERSON OF INTEREST, Tuesday, May 13 (10:01-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: #PersonOfInterest season finale! Team Machine, Decima & Vigilance are headed 4 a final showdown 5/13 10:01pm http://bit.ly/PM7Bkl

SERIES REGULARS:

Jim Caviezel (John Reese)
Michael Emerson (Harold Finch)
Kevin Chapman (Detective Lionel Fusco)
Sarah Shahi (Sameen Shaw)
Amy Acker (Root)

RECURRING CAST:

Boris McGiver (Hersh)
Camryn Manheim (Control)
John Nolan (Greer)
Leslie Odom (Collier)
John Doman (Garrison)
Joseph Melendez (Rivera)
Julian Ovenden (Lambert)

GUEST CAST:

Diane Davis (Judge Madison)
Ari Butler (Vigilance Tech)
Peter Scanavino (Adams)
Tom Coiner (Decima Tech)
Joel Perez (Mask)

WRITTEN BY: Greg Plageman and David Slack
DIRECTED BY: Chris Fisher

Source:
CBS

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So I just caught up...I think this show has temporarily ruined TV for me GOT felt lame after binge watching this.

I wish my friends watched the show. They still insist TWD is better than this. Seriously.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Did I miss an episode? Next one to record says is Beta ep 21... Someone remind me what last ep was? Want to make sure I didn't miss, feels like it'd been a long time since it last recorded

Lonestar

I've liked TWD in the past. At the beginning, I even liked it better than the comic.

I had a hard time getting interested in watching this half season.

POI is 2-3 times better than TWD. Maybe higher.

POI is in my upper echelon of programs. 24, Lost, BSG, The Shield, Farscape. Other programs are close, but those were seminal programs during my young adult tv watching, at least "live" watching and not binge watching after the fact. GOT is close to joining, but POI is there.

John, last episode was Death Benefit. If you've watched Home Alone, you should remember the POI of the episode, which means you've seen it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did I miss an episode? Next one to record says is Beta ep 21... Someone remind me what last ep was? Want to make sure I didn't miss, feels like it'd been a long time since it last recorded

The latest episode was called Death Benefit, in consists of John and Finch working in Washington to protect a congressman who is quite outspoken about government surveillance, in fear that either Decima or Vigilance might hurt him.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Aw crap then I think !y DVR didn't record it.

Last ep I saw I believe was the one Root got her ear fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom