• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to seeing where this is going. That Acker interview clip was awesome.

A little disappointed with the Samaritan plot up to this point, though. This show needs to relax on the cartoon villainy. I was a little disappointed with the Season 3 finale having Greer drink everybody's milkshake, and I'm pretty disappointed with Samaritan opening its mouth to announce to the world that it's a cliché Evil ASI. I thought the show was better than that.

I can still appreciate what the writers are trying to do thematically, especially with the parallels between the digital world and the street level stuff (Samaritan and Dominic both being ambitious upstarts trying to overthrow the established order) and I do think it's cool that there's an ASI in the fight trying to maintain order and protect humans, but the execution this season has left something to be desired. It's good, but I'm not feeling it as hard as Season 3 so far. That conversation between The Machine and Samaritan especially deflated a lot of the tension for me. They could have pushed that into much more interesting territory; Samaritan's worldview should at the very least should be compelling, and not so obviously "evil" from the moral perspective of our heroes. It takes the wind out of some of the earlier dialogue this season, such as Finch's speeches about the "nature" of AI, or questioning the ethics of their actions in the tablet-for-every-kid episode (it's no longer an ethical problem at all when Samaritan twirls its mustache). But we'll see what the writers have in store; the endgame could justify this and make it worthwhile.

News Bot

Banned
Greg says that "Team Machine's gonna need a little bit more help."

I'm guessing Control, her agents or previous PoI's become involved.

Sober

Alright guys, keep your pants on.

"If-Then-Else"

Samaritan launches a cyber-attack on the stock exchange, leaving the team with no choice but to embark on a possible suicide mission in a desperate attempt to stop a global economic catastrophe.

You keep those spoiler tags on until the EST airing now, y'hear?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looking forward to seeing where this is going. That Acker interview clip was awesome.

A little disappointed with the Samaritan plot up to this point, though. This show needs to relax on the cartoon villainy. I was a little disappointed with the Season 3 finale having Greer drink everybody's milkshake, and I'm pretty disappointed with Samaritan opening its mouth to announce to the world that it's a cliché Evil ASI. I thought the show was better than that.

I can still appreciate what the writers are trying to do thematically, especially with the parallels between the digital world and the street level stuff (Samaritan and Dominic both being ambitious upstarts trying to overthrow the established order) and I do think it's cool that there's an ASI in the fight trying to maintain order and protect humans, but the execution this season has left something to be desired. It's good, but I'm not feeling it as hard as Season 3 so far. That conversation between The Machine and Samaritan especially deflated a lot of the tension for me. They could have pushed that into much more interesting territory; Samaritan's worldview should at the very least should be compelling, and not so obviously "evil" from the moral perspective of our heroes. It takes the wind out of some of the earlier dialogue this season, such as Finch's speeches about the "nature" of AI, or questioning the ethics of their actions in the tablet-for-every-kid episode (it's no longer an ethical problem at all when Samaritan twirls its mustache). But we'll see what the writers have in store; the endgame could justify this and make it worthwhile.

I think it only appears as a "mustache twirling" villain to the Machine/Agents, because it's antagonistic with other AI, as it was proven to be the case for all the early AI versions Finch created (they quickly killed each other).

In it's speech that last episode, it didn't declare it was going to kill Mankind because it was the problem (ala Skynet), but that we needed a firm hand to steer us back onto a prosperous road.

mackaveli

1 more hour for canada baby. Don't worry I don't post spoilers in this thread. Only thing I say is probably fuck what an episode. Than agent carter after. Oh yeah baby.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, which Gif would work?

Gaius-Baltar.jpg

or

tumblr_madflqQX3D1qjvw48.gif

In it's speech that last episode, it didn't declare it was going to kill Mankind because it was the problem (ala Skynet), but that we needed a firm hand to steer us back onto a prosperous road.

True, which is why I'll wait and see where the writers go with this. I like the idea, but I just didn't like watching Samaritan pick a child avatar to declare itself a god and make menacing threats and talk about humanity being a cesspool. It's pretty trite sci-fi stuff. And it gets a little heavy handed with all that "two gods going to war" and "cold war" stuff especially when the show's two ASIs get together and talk exactly like that. I even get that, too, because of the contrast between Finch and Greer in their admin roles (Finch teaches The Machine to have morals, while Greer simply pledges his service to Samaritan, so I guess it makes sense it sees itself as a god) but I didn't find it remotely compelling dramatically. It felt like a missed opportunity to not have Samaritan at least present an attractive alternative, on some intellectual level; it would be richer if there was even a degree of ambiguity, and not just an obvious good/bad dichotomy (the Elias/Brotherhood stuff is playing a lot better right now because of the enemy-of-my-enemy setup; the show is giving us two villains and making us root for one of them).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
But make no mistake, I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of my favourites of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh whoops, had no idea that Americans can't watch this yet or something.
Wow. I don't know if that was better than the "other" big thing to happen earlier in the series, but I can't believe they ended it that way.

Doorman

Worth noting that going into this past break, the "time until asset destruction" countdown has gone down to just over 6 seconds, when it was up to ~13 the first time. It's actually trying to take the time to work out all of these scenarios and that will ultimately be costly.

Now a queen monologue...Root is going to die confirmed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Primary Objective/Auxiliary Objective" My god, humanity is a video game to The Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom