• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskcm

so after looking at that conversation between the kid and root i take it the machine cant keep up with Samaritan be it in hardware terms and maybe what finch did to it when he was building it.

Chariot

so after looking at that conversation between the kid and root i take it the machine cant keep up with Samaritan be it in hardware terms and maybe what finch did to it when he was building it.
I think Samsritan is arrogant and just dismissed the code as something that pulls the Machine down. I really hope that some of the people the Machine saved play a role in this to showcase the opposite.

Gibbo

The kid was pretty good. If hes not being used anymore, i recommend that they replace Henry on Once upon a time with this kid

Baskcm

I think Samsritan is arrogant and just dismissed the code as something that pulls the Machine down. I really hope that some of the people the Machine saved play a role in this to showcase the opposite.

ahhh right i really want to know what harold said to the machine when he said to it we need to tslk

Asbel

It reminded me of Mass Effect 3's ending.

Was surprised Root didn't have to choose between 3 colors after that conversation.

Same here. What is it with AI superintelligience and having a kid as an avatar? Is it a metaphor for innocence and naivity, contrasting the AI with an adult human to support the moral stance of the narrative? Is this a trope?

trinest

Same here. What is it with AI superintelligience and having a kid as an avatar? Is it a metaphor for innocence and naivity, contrasting the AI with an adult human to support the moral stance of the narrative? Is this a trope?

Of course its a metaphor. Samaritan is a younger growing AI while The Machine is established.

Person of Interest, low key, is one of the best tv shows on air currently.

Edit: the promos strongly suggest someone is going to die at the end of the trilogy especially if Carter's death had an epic trilogy last season.

Chariot

I agree, don't see anyone dying this time.. But anything can happen of course.

Maybe they'll kill everyone and move the show to focus onto team Samaritan "saving" people.
This would be super interesting. Or maybe just wounding and jailing all of them.

As I stated multiple times: it would be so interesting to see an team of people who were saved by Team Machine or an Control Suicide Squad. Just imagine our heroes sitting sad and powerless in a Samaritan dungeon where they have to watch it's success when somehow the people they saved take on their mission and save people before Samaritan can and then on the climax a team of criminals with bombs under command of Control burst into the facility and frees the team.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been nnnnng'ng since I watched the latest episode yesterday.

This show deserves some kind of award for having some of the most solid and gripping storytelling on TV.

Incredible.

ZenaxPure

As I stated multiple times: it would be so interesting to see an team of people who were saved by Team Machine or an Control Suicide Squad. Just imagine our heroes sitting sad and powerless in a Samaritan dungeon where they have to watch it's success when somehow the people they saved take on their mission and save people before Samaritan can and then on the climax a team of criminals with bombs under command of Control burst into the facility and frees the team.

What I think would be more interesting than people they've saved in the past saving them, is if another team machine saved them. I refuse to believe that team machine are the only group of people getting irrelevant numbers in the entire huge wide world, it wouldn't make any sense that the machine would only save folks around NYC lol. Once the machine became "free" at the end of season 2 I have to imagine it would start trying to recruit people to do its bidding like it did with Root.

Chariot

What I think would be more interesting than people they've saved in the past saving them, is if another team machine saved them. I refuse to believe that team machine are the only group of people getting irrelevant numbers in the entire huge wide world, it wouldn't make any sense that the machine would only save folks around NYC lol. Once the machine became "free" at the end of season 2 I have to imagine it would start trying to recruit people to do its bidding like it did with Root.
That would be amazing too.
I just liked my version more, because it could include Leon Tao. I doubt that the Machine would be insane enough to include him willingly in some strike force.

ZenaxPure

I mean any reason to bring back Leon is ok with me, but, I don't want to ever get my hopes up he is coming back. I don't want to be hurt :(

News Bot

Banned

It has many meanings.

1) Samaritan itself is "young."
2) It makes the Dominic/Samaritan contrast more obvious.
3) As Greer said, Samaritan chose the kid as its avatar in the conversation with Root in order to display what it has in store for mankind. No better way to showcase human manipulation than with a child.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
New, longer promo for the Jan 6th episode

Looks like a groundhog day episode, especially if you infer whatever from the episode title and the trailers

Yeah, I had this feeling from the title "If-Then-Else" could feasibly be some sort of strange "AI dream scenario" where The Machine tries to plan a way to succeed, but can't without the loss of a human agent. That leads into the final episode of the trilogy, "Control-Alt-Delete" which makes me wonder...is the Machine going to turn itself off, or perhaps finds a way to reset Samaritan.

News Bot

Banned
Yeah, I had this feeling from the title "If-Then-Else" could feasibly be some sort of strange "AI dream scenario" where The Machine tries to plan a way to succeed, but can't without the loss of a human agent. That leads into the final episode of the trilogy, "Control-Alt-Delete" which makes me wonder...is the Machine going to turn itself off, or perhaps finds a way to reset Samaritan.

Well there is the code/program that Finch installed on the laptop of that lady Samaritan is interested in. We'll probably find out exactly what Finch and The Machine spoke about.

Chariot

Oh! That's a nice thought. I can see that happening.

Baskcm

the way i see the episode i think it probably is the machine going through different scenarios seeing which one would be best

Wiktor

I think both machine and Finch are somehow coning the Samaritan, luling him into false sense of security while they execute their plan

Chariot

Nolan at some point said they had a seven season outline or plan, so obviously the story can make it to seven seasons.

I dunno how it wouldn't, they have lots of fodder for continued conflict.
Yeah, the genius is, that they always can return to street level, because there are still difficult problems like Dominic. Or maybe Control can come back with some alternate solution to the machines. Or that britisch MI6 guy. Or the Calculator guy who organize crime for others. So many options they could follow or leave at will.

Asbel

Yeah, the genius is, that they always can return to street level, because there are still difficult problems like Dominic. Or maybe Control can come back with some alternate solution to the machines. Or that britisch MI6 guy. Or the Calculator guy who organize crime for others. So many options they could follow or leave at will.

Those are all great side stories but I don't see how they can escalate the threat above two AI gods dueling it out for control of the world. I don't think they can strecth that fight out to the seventh season either. And returning to less than god level threats only would deflate the sense of danger.

Those are all great side stories but I don't see how they can escalate the threat above two AI gods dueling it out for control of the world. I don't think they can strecth that fight out to the seventh season either. And returning to less than god level threats only would deflate the sense of danger.

We don't know that this season is the end of the conflict. Maybe it ends in a stalemate, maybe Samaritan wins, maybe another system goes online, maybe the government pushes back against Team Machine, it can go a lot of places.

Asbel

We don't know that this season is the end of the conflict. Maybe it ends in a stalemate, maybe Samaritan wins, maybe another system goes online, maybe the government pushes back against Team Machine, it can go a lot of places.

I am for seven great seasons. I don't want seven seasons just cause.

Chariot

I don't have to be more outlandish or technically more powerful. Few stories really think about what happened after the hero slayed the dragon. I like that the Hobbit (novel) didn't end with the defeat of Smaug, but after they dealt with the fallout of his sudden vanishment.
Parasyste (manga) Spoiler:
The parasytes are with no doubt the most dangerous thing in the manga, but the final enemy is "just" a human.

My point is, that there are threats and topic that are not so much about power play and muscles. Saving irrelevant numbers is pretty futile in the grand scheme of things, for every life they save there a hundreds lost. There could be numerous outcomes depending on weither any machine survives.

lmao that kid scene was cheesy as hell. i get what they were trying to do, make it disarming to see a young kid be an outlet for the machine to make it's threats. but that scene was kinda hilarious more than anything.

kind of want this samaritan shit to end already. the elias vs. dom plot is way more interesting now.

Nobility

Banned
Remember folks, voting for 2014 GAF TV show of the year ends January 7.

I wonder who will win...
r2Vlpi4.png

Lonestar

Just want enough to get in the top 10 again, with a photo attached. It's the best we can hope for.

I've been rewatching POI and I'm currently on season 2, and man I miss some of the earlier side characters. Leon and Zoey brought all sorts of fun to the cast. And I want Logan Pierce and Alistair Wesley to show up again. It's wrong for me to hope that they'll somehow get recruited to help with Samaritan, huh.

Lonestar

One day before the return of POI.

Also, the press release for the follow up episode (and last of this trilogy, and kind of makes sense knowing the title of the episode):

“Control-Alt-Delete” – Control (Camryn Manheim), who oversees the handling of relevant numbers for the government, begins to question the methods and intentions of the Samaritan program. Also, alarming news reports of a pair of vigilantes rampaging through the Northeast begin to surface, on PERSON OF INTEREST, Tuesday, Jan. 13 (10:01-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(Edit 1: Manheim has more of that Halle Berry Extant coming up, so I worry about future appearances of Control. I also do not know what to think about this Vigilante report, and what it might mean.

Cast is known, as well.

RECURRING CAST:

John Nolan (Greer)
Camryn Manheim (Control)
John Doman (Garrison)
Oakes Fegley (Gabriel)
Theodora Wooley (Brooks)
Nick E. Tarabay (Grice)

(Edit 2: These last 2 are the relevant agents that ran into Shaw during the biological weapon hunt, leading to Shaw's identity to be found out)

GUEST CAST:

Suzy Jane Hunt (Shiffman)
Michael Potts (Travers)
Alice Chastain Levy (Julia)
Ryan Shams (Yasin)
Zarif Kabier (Massoud)
Shahar Isaac (Tariq)
Omar Rahim (Hussain)
William Jackson Harper (Stroble)
Malikha Mallette (Cable News Anchor)
Giuseppe Jones (Level 6 Security Guard)
Cliff Moylan (Shooting Victim)
Bill Timoney (Bob)

(Edit 3: No appearance of Martine or Lambert...)

One day before the return of POI.

Also, the press release for the follow up episode (and last of this trilogy, and kind of makes sense knowing the title of the episode):

“Control-Alt-Delete” – Control (Camryn Manheim), who oversees the handling of relevant numbers for the government, begins to question the methods and intentions of the Samaritan program. Also, alarming news reports of a pair of vigilantes rampaging through the Northeast begin to surface, on PERSON OF INTEREST, Tuesday, Jan. 13 (10:01-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(Edit 1: Manheim has more of that Halle Berry Extant coming up, so I worry about future appearances of Control. I also do not know what to think about this Vigilante report, and what it might mean.

Cast is known, as well.

RECURRING CAST:

John Nolan (Greer)
Camryn Manheim (Control)
John Doman (Garrison)
Oakes Fegley (Gabriel)
Theodora Wooley (Brooks)
Nick E. Tarabay (Grice)

(Edit 2: These last 2 are the relevant agents that ran into Shaw during the biological weapon hunt, leading to Shaw's identity to be found out)

GUEST CAST:

Suzy Jane Hunt (Shiffman)
Michael Potts (Travers)
Alice Chastain Levy (Julia)
Ryan Shams (Yasin)
Zarif Kabier (Massoud)
Shahar Isaac (Tariq)
Omar Rahim (Hussain)
William Jackson Harper (Stroble)
Malikha Mallette (Cable News Anchor)
Giuseppe Jones (Level 6 Security Guard)
Cliff Moylan (Shooting Victim)
Bill Timoney (Bob)

(Edit 3: No appearance of Martine or Lambert...)

All I get out of this is... people gonna fucking die.

I think if all the seasons thus far have been great, and Nolan has planned the story to run seven seasons from the outset, then we need not worry about them being great. They will be.

Totally agree with this. The show has been absolutely amazing so far and the way it has kept changing things up in interesting fashion has been really impressive and satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom