• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Great finale. I really liked when the machine helped out Reese when he was stuck with Dominic and his crew. If that's the end for Elias, RIP, he was a great part of the show. I thought the Control scenes were fantastic, really worked well. The scene between the machine and Finch was really awesome and surprisingly emotional. I loved it.

Legit. Shook.

More later if I can collect myself but when it cut to black I just sat there staring at my TV like no no no no no no no no why.

My favorite recurring characters are gone. My prediction for who was going to die ended up being far too close for comfort. :(

danielcw

I think you're thinking of SIM cards for phones. He means SIMM, as in single in-line memory module, which is a DRAM technology.

Ah!
Yes I was thinking about SIM cards or SIMualtions.

Yup; thought it would be appropriate considering where the Machine is living now.

Didn't they say the memory chips were 3D, I assume they meant transistors in 3D instead of a 2D plane. Does that still qualify as SIMM or DIMM?

Apoc29

Ah!
Yes I was thinking about SIM cards or SIMualtions.

Didn't they say the memory chips were 3D, I assume they meant transistors in 3D instead of a 2D plane. Does that still qualify as SIMM or DIMM?

I don't know honestly. It's just a pun that fits. "God runs on AAs" makes sense even though it doesn't actually run on AA batteries.

I don't know honestly. It's just a pun that fits. "God runs on AAs" makes sense even though it doesn't actually run on AA batteries.
Anytime someone on the show calls one of the machines a God I cringe almost as much as when that kid that stands in for Samaritan is on screen.

Zomba13

They should have just left Shaw's fate ambiguous. Gunshot when the elevator doors closed, searching for Shaw and not finding much, finding a hint or two that maybe she was alive or maybe it was someone else and then the phone call with Harold mentioning how Samaritan could fake the call using Shaw's phone or something. And then have things play out like they did except with no shot of Shaw in the car.

That way we assume she is dead or give up hope of finding her alive like the characters but there is still the chance for Shaw to return if the actress wants to in the future. The way it was we and the characters know she is alive but now they don't have the actress they can't do anything unless they cheap out an kill her off screen or replace the actress.

Sonicbug

They should have just left Shaw's fate ambiguous. Gunshot when the elevator doors closed, searching for Shaw and not finding much, finding a hint or two that maybe she was alive or maybe it was someone else and then the phone call with Harold mentioning how Samaritan could fake the call using Shaw's phone or something. And then have things play out like they did except with no shot of Shaw in the car.

That way we assume she is dead or give up hope of finding her alive like the characters but there is still the chance for Shaw to return if the actress wants to in the future. The way it was we and the characters know she is alive but now they don't have the actress they can't do anything unless they cheap out an kill her off screen or replace the actress.

Just because she's not gonna be a regular doesn't mean she won't be back for episodes here and there.

danielcw

I meant it just as a genuine question, not as a criticism of your pun.

Transistors arranged in 3D for memory and other stuff are a relativly new thing, AFAIK, and I am happy that the show is on the edge.
If only the compression algorithm wouldn't be unrealistic :(
Well at least they said, that the machine can't operate in a compressed state.

Ke0

Just because she's not gonna be a regular doesn't mean she won't be back for episodes here and there.

She's not returning as a regular? I always thought her departure was because she was giving birth to her twins and she would return?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not particularly concerned, they'll renew it simply to not piss off Nolan.

Yeah, that's something I've been thinking. Do they really want to risk not working ever again with the best Nolan?

Not talking about the story or writing for the last 2 episodes, but what was going on with the directing. It was all over the place in the worst possible way.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not talking about the story or writing for the last 2 episodes, but what was going on with the directing. It was all over the place in the worst possible way.

Yeah, I feel the pacing was way too fast. They really needed another episode to flesh all of this out.

Yeah, I feel the pacing was way too fast. They really needed another episode to flesh all of this out.

I was talking more about things like the camera, crazy slow mo bs, when root broke the Samaritan agent's neck it was the weirdest thing I ever saw. A trained killer just stood there and didn't even try to resist when Root grabbed and killed her.

It was just weird.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh that. Yeah, I was like: "Just like that?" For a big antagonist? It was way too sudden. I guess, not to mention Root just saying "Now I give up". The threat should have been done way better, it felt as if she could've done more and she didn't.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thats the thing with Martine. Did they ever really show her in hand to hand combat? She was really proficient with guns, and was pretty much in God Mode most of the time, but in the 2 instances that I can remember, against Root, she was actually pretty pathetic.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, she only had those two scenes with Root. Incidentally I don't remember any other scene in other episodes where Root was set as an expert in hand to hand combat.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, she only had those two scenes with Root. Incidentally I don't remember any other scene in other episodes where Root was set as an expert in hand to hand combat.

Closest that I could figure, happened off screen. When she's stuck in the cage with Control, and she hears the various medical histories of the various guards, the scene comes back to everyone knocked the hell out, all while she doesn't seem to have any weapons.

I'd still say she's far down the list from Shaw or Reese in fighting ability, but seems to be about equal on firearms.

ABC damn near renewed everything. CBS...

Now, a move to Netflix and 13-ish episodes would be great, but it's not a sure enough bet to risk CBS cancelling the show. The wait to hear if the show is picked up elsewhere would drive me nuts.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes, that one scene. It was awesome.

Even if it's picked up by Netflix we wouldn't necessarily get more seasons after the next one. Plus, while the series is very well received critically, I don't see it being loved everywhere like other series.

The quality and editing would improve tenfold though. Maybe.

Chariot

Thats the thing with Martine. Did they ever really show her in hand to hand combat? She was really proficient with guns, and was pretty much in God Mode most of the time, but in the 2 instances that I can remember, against Root, she was actually pretty pathetic.
Speaking of which - when was Root ever strong like a bear? She's a genius hacker, a social chameleon, know several languages and accents, can use guns very well (to use god mode properly you need to actually be able to handle a gun properly) and can snap necks from a weird position? I like her character, but when I tjink about it, she's a bit Über.

Bluth54

I hope POI gets renewed, I'm really enjoying the greater focus on the ongoing story arc vs just having bad buy of the week episodes the first couple of seasons mostly just had and I think the increased focus on the story arc has made the show better then ever.

I was talking more about things like the camera, crazy slow mo bs, when root broke the Samaritan agent's neck it was the weirdest thing I ever saw. A trained killer just stood there and didn't even try to resist when Root grabbed and killed her.

It was just weird.

I thought that was a bit weird too. Although having a small bit of knowledge on how things are shot, there could have been a fight scene planned to make that look better and they either ran out of shooting days or ran out of money to even plan it out. So they did something like that just to get it done.

I think Shaw having to be written out had a bigger effect on this later half season as a whole than it initially seems. Pulling out one thread usually unravels a lot more things, and that seemed to have happened with POI.

I feel like they had to shoehorn characters into already written scripts to make things work. Finch tagging with Root in a few episodes seemed like it was something Shaw would have done if she was there. Then they had to actually include episodes to hunt for Shaw. If there was a Shaw centric episode planed, that had to be scrapped and replaced. Even though "If-Then-Else" was great episode in it's own right, it seemed Shaw's inclusion at the end was forced - she kinda appeared out of no where. That was the start of this season having some issues.

I can kinda forgive the season looking a bit messy, as a lot of stuff probably had to be altered, or come up with on the fly, to patch up holes in plans. Hopefully when (not if) S5 happens they get back to feeling tighter - like they were for a whole bunch of their run

Chaos17

Finally saw the episode...

I loved when the Machine helped Jhon with Dominic crew and most of it when she helped him to shoot down Samaritin agents. That was so damn cool.

I still see the machine like a little arch angel who tried her best to help people and that was heart breaking to see her aoplogize to Finch. Thank god, he jumped to save her somehow. But only her DNA remain and probably not her personality, they said...

I wish Control could've just shoot that damn old geezer when she could, damn it!

Anyway, I hope the serie continue, I want to see a happy ending for the Machine.

X8vQVNn.gif

url

Had a tab open on Twitter, checking to see if this is renewed yet, and I stumbled into a Root/Shaw Anime Tumblr.

Some of the stuff is actually kinda okay (I think)...

UxwCtenl.jpg

But some are really weird, and then some have tails..

HELP

Froli

I find the action scenes disappointing.
For example, the gun shootings while normally walking as if the bullets are harmlessly passing by kinda breaks the tension.

Had a tab open on Twitter, checking to see if this is renewed yet, and I stumbled into a Root/Shaw Anime Tumblr.

Some of the stuff is actually kinda okay (I think)...

But some are really weird, and then some have tails..

HELP

I tracked down that tumblr.

I need a break from the internet.

POI might be cancelled? Are you kidding me? It's one of the best shows on TV...

Great episode. Slow mo walking with no cover at the end was dumb but other than that, great episode. Reese is a beast.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I also love Deus Ex and that doesn't look like Root haha.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Look into the Arrow thread. PoI isn't pandering enough to the creepy people with penises who want to drool over female bodies.

Don't you try and talk shit about Arrow! I'll take Arrow at its very worst, which recently has been pretty bad, over POI any day.

EDIT:

I also want to comment on Root. Why do people love her so much? Like, I'm surprised she hasn't been killed off yet, her face turn has yet to make any sense to me. IMO she basically deserves death and not any happy ending on a beach with Shaw. We are talking about an individual who was a mass murderer, this isn't like Reese or Shaw who were government agents believing they were killing bad guys, Root killed innocent people routinely in her criminal career and enjoyed it. The fact that she now wants to save the world from the "evil" Samaritan is just odd, as if she has some moral high ground to stand on. It's nice that she's doing good and all now but I can never forget what she was, a murderer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I also want to comment on Root. Why do people love her so much? Like, I'm surprised she hasn't been killed off yet, her heel turn has yet to make any sense to me.

you mean her face turn

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see another show have an actor drop out because of personal reasons and somehow keep the quality.

jrush64

Banned
POI has always been better than Arrow. But there is absolutely no way Arrow has reached the so bad that it's good stage. It's just average now and bothers on good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom