• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobility

Banned
Hope...

hYbhkcC.gif

Patryn

There better fucking be a next season. Seriously... What was that ending?

I didn't think they could go more hopeless than last season, but here we are.

Doorman

Whoa...goddamn. That was a finale.

Who was the girl they showed - was that the shrink?

It was the woman that Control talked to earlier in the episode, the one who told Control about the "memo" for the quarantine order.

Hell of an episode, but damn...I'm pretty annoyed that Control didn't just shoot Greer during his smug speech at the end.

spoonztt

This finale was too good. The final 3 minutes were all kinds of awesome.

What the hell am I going to watch on Tuesdays now :S

It was the woman that Control talked to earlier in the episode, the one who told Control about the "memo" for the quarantine order.

Hell of an episode, but damn...I'm pretty annoyed that Control didn't just shoot Greer during his smug speech at the end.

Ah, gotcha. Okay, yeah that makes sense. I couldn't really tell who it was.

And yeah, I was expecting Control to at least shoot Greer or something instead of just standing there - as much as I love the writers of this show, Samaritan gets its way nearly every time. I was expecting a bigger victory for Team Machine.

Also, I'm a little sad that the Brotherhood situation didn't pan out to more than "a problem Samaritan needed to take care of" in the end. Thought the street level nemesis would pan out to be more than that.
Also secretly hoping Elias survives.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Goddamn, can't there be 1 ender that isn't apocalyptically gloomy.

Assuming Elias isn't gonna make it :(

Damn if some of those Pink Floyd Lyrics don't fit what was going on.

Sonicbug

Goddamn, can't there be 1 ender that isn't apocalyptically gloomy.

Assuming Elias isn't gonna make it :(

There are already interviews up with the show runners discussing
how they had to break it to the characters their time was up. I don't think he's coming back. =(

Welcome to the Machine made me start laughing. "We're laser show now!"

Nobility

Banned
Powerful finale that feels like it was more to set the stage for S5 than give closure for S4. When I heard the title name, the first thing that came into my mind was The Ten Commandments and I think that famous quote applies here:

"His God is God"

I always interpreted the title of YHWH to represent the machine secretly gathering the resources required to gain technological superiority against Samaritan. The writers, as always, reverse the traditional thinking by reiterating what they have stated since the end of S3, Samaritan is faster, more powerful and has more resources at its disposal. The machine stated in The Cold War that it has met its destroyer. It internalized the inability to fight and decided to design an exit option that, if it could defeat this omnipotent foe in its current form, it will rely on its creator to give it the design and resources it needs to thrive.

I...like this train of thought. I can see how this could lead to the series finale of POI. Finch needs to get more aggressive if he is to create an AI design that can defeat a foe like Samaritan. The question then becomes, if Samaritan is destroyed and only The Machine remains, with a new proactive design, what is preventing these aggressive tendencies against clashing with the rest of humanity that shares the mindset/norms/values that led to the creating of AIs like Samaritan.

Like Root said at the end of the last season:

"A lot of people are going to die. People who might have been able to help. Everything is changing. I don't know if it will ever get better... but it's going to get worse. But the Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John, the whole point of Pandora's Box is that once you've opened it, you can't close it again. She wanted me to remind you how the story ends. When everything is over and the worst has happened, there's still one thing left in Pandora's Box: hope."

CBS has no choice but to renew this show.

Nobility

Banned
Think YWHW can also be interpreted as being "Father"
I agree but I also think it's being applied for both AIs.

We need to keep our spirits up, someone come up with a good S5 title...maybe we should wait a few days to absorb what happened tonight.

That hour flew by, so many angles we could get for S5.

Goodstyle

I loved seeing Greer crush Control and break her spirit before spitting her line back at her. That was an incredible final speech, John Nolan was great.

Lonestar

I agree but I also think it's being applied for both AIs.

We need to keep our spirits up, someone come up with a good S5 title...maybe we should wait a few days to absorb what happened tonight.

That hour flew by, so many angles we could get for S5.

Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| God's Name was Samsonite. We were WAY off.

Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| God runs on Batteries.

Just finished the wallstreet episode and I wanted to talk about how much I liked it but I see tonight was the season finale so I am going to bail.

Anyway that episode has a sweet song. Feel like the longer this show goes the less they used licensed music which is a shame because they normally pick great ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAUwi4D3Ew

ortonnewday1gutf.gif

Have fun. Ill be back in 10 or so episodes I guess.

Lonestar

Just finished the wallstreet episode and I wanted to talk about how much I liked it but I see tonight was the season finale so I am going to bail.

Anyway that episode has a sweet song. Feel like the longer this show goes the less they used licensed music which is a shame because they normally pick great ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAUwi4D3Ew

ortonnewday1gutf.gif

Have fun. Ill be back in 10 or so episodes I guess.

Oh, they still know when to use them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That was pretty damn good. If Caleb was involved, I imagined it was to compress the machine. But damn, the electrical grid? Pretty damn smart. Can't believe we lost Elias :(

Also, it appears we have our next terminator guy. Bald sniper guy! He looks even more menacing than Martine.

Lonestar

TVLINE | Elias, though, seemed to be hanging on by a thread….
PLAGEMAN | We can neither confirm nor deny.

Skinniest of hopes that Elias isn't dead yet. Skinny skinny skinny.

Lnkw91s.jpg

Goddam if that doesn't bring feels. A friggen computer monitor.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Was about to post the same quote haha. Curious that he didn't get the headshot like Dominic.

Also, that part gave me chills. The Machine asking for forgiveness for leaving its path, for asking them to murder another person.

Nobility

Banned
Got bored, will start us off:

Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| Deviants, Assets & Classification Errors
Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| God Mode
Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| Remember The Machine? It's back, in SSD form.
Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| Almost all my friends are dead.
Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| Amy Acker. You're Welcome.

Pending mod approval, we all know what the actual title should be:

Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| This. Fucking. Show.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao, where is that from?

Pending mod approval, we all know what the actual title should be:

Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| This. Fucking. Show.

Fuck. Yes.

Replace Fuck with Freaking if we're not allowed to swear in the title.

Lonestar

Here's a good one, I think:

Person of Interest – Season 5 |OT| The Pale Blue Dot

Galaxy Quest, and that is Elias/Enrico Colantoni

foxtrot3d

Banned
Welp, that was a pretty great finale. I for one am happy with Samaritan winning out overall and finally taking out that smug fool Control. She was just a child fumbling in the dark, believing herself to be in Control when in reality she was nothing more than a pawn in a much larger force's game. I welcome our new machine overlord.

Lonestar

Looking back on last seasons topic (around the S3 finale) and I remembered one of Samaritan's first things it did, was scan America:

jw3mgz0Rd6fFI.jpg

Already had a list of 1200 eliminations. THE SIGNS WERE ALWAYS THERE.

Also, Thornhill came up about the same time The Machine was attacked originally, leading to it moving itself. Boom, Thornhill Utilities putting up mini Machines all over the place. Continuity Bah Gawd.

Basically, it seems like Samaritan wants to do the Irrelevant numbers itself, with immediate termination as it's Modus operandi.

POI is my favorite show but I have to be honest and say that ever since they "killed" Shaw it seems like they also had a change in their writing and production teams.

Season 4 was my least favorite season, I feel like the writing got really sloppy, with "Skip" being the worst episode of the entire series. POI was never realistic but it was always grounded and avoided stupid tropes that the majority of TV shows have. But now we have things like John showing up out of thin air to the electricity place that was supposed to be an hour away from where Finch and Root were. Then there's John and Root standing still on the stairs getting shot at with machine guns and neither of them even get scraped. Then the final shot where they walk out in the middle of the street with no cover like they are some sort of terminators (and don't give the excuse that the Machine was guiding them because at this point it was offline).

The final thing I'm going to complain about is the special effects. The past few episodes have had some really awful CGI muzzle flashes and bullet effects. I feel like I'm watching a a Syfy B-movie. I don't know what happened. Did CBS cut their budget and force them to stop using blanks/practical effects? Did they get a new CGI guy who has no experience?

I'm still going to watch Season 5 if it does get renewed but I can't see POI lasting much longer with the ratings it has been getting.

I hate to be so negative, but this is not the show I fell in love with.

POI is my favorite show but I have to be honest and say that ever since they "killed" Shaw it seems like they also had a change in their writing and production teams.

Season 4 was my least favorite season, I feel like the writing got really sloppy, with "Skip" being the worst episode of the entire series. POI was never realistic but it was always grounded and avoided stupid tropes that the majority of TV shows have. But now we have things like John showing up out of thin air to the electricity place that was supposed to be an hour away from where Finch and Root were. Then there's John and Root standing still on the stairs getting shot at with machine guns and neither of them even get scraped. Then the final shot where they walk out in the middle of the street with no cover like they are some sort of terminators (and don't give the excuse that the Machine was guiding them because at this point it was offline).

The final thing I'm going to complain about is the special effects. The past few episodes have had some really awful CGI muzzle flashes and bullet effects. I feel like I'm watching a a Syfy B-movie. I don't know what happened. Did CBS cut their budget and force them to stop using blanks/practical effects? Did they get a new CGI guy who has no experience?

I'm still going to watch Season 5 if it does get renewed but I can't see POI lasting much longer with the ratings it has been getting.

On the flip side, the guy who reviews the show for IGN never rated the show anything less than an 8. That had not happened in previous seasons. In fact, the last 3 episodes were all rated 9 or more. I think the show is in its peak right now. I do think, though, it should only go 1 or 2 more seasons for two reasons. If the show goes on too long, either A: They keep fighting Samaritan and it it becomes dull or B: They defeat Samaritan and then a new enemy shows up. I don't think there would be any way for them to make an enemy as big as Samaritan. So why try.

Also, as a side note (as many know) J.J. Abrams is a producer on the show. In my opinion, POI is just as good as Fringe and Lost (two other Abrams produced shows). Fringe went 5 seasons and Lost went 6. I think POI should do the same. Shows like the X-Files suffered for not knowing when to wrap up a series and most shows today never seem to get an opportunity to plan and ending anymore. I honestly will not be surprised if Season 5 is the final season (if it is renewed), especially since Nolan and Abrams are now developing Westworld for HBO.

Lonestar

The only other end game enemy I could see, is the new/improved Machine, post-takedown of Samaritan.

But odds are, with how The Machine seems to act altruistically, could see it taking itself offline at the same time as Samaritan.

On the flip side, the guy who reviews the show for IGN never rated the show anything less than an 8. That had not happened in previous seasons. In fact, the last 3 episodes were all rated 9 or more. I think the show is in its peak right now. I do think, though, it should only go 1 or 2 more seasons for two reasons. If the show goes on too long, either A: They keep fighting Samaritan and it it becomes dull or B: They defeat Samaritan and then a new enemy shows up. I don't think there would be any way for them to make an enemy as big as Samaritan. So why try.

Also, as a side note (as many know) J.J. Abrams is a producer on the show. In my opinion, POI is just as good as Fringe and Lost (two other Abrams produced shows). Fringe went 5 seasons and Lost went 6. I think POI should do the same. Shows like the X-Files suffered for not knowing when to wrap up a series and most shows today never seem to get an opportunity to plan and ending anymore. I honestly will not be surprised if Season 5 is the final season (if it is renewed), especially since Nolan and Abrams are now developing Westworld for HBO.

Here's a interview that just came out today where Nolan says he doesn't want to end it with Season 5: http://tvline.com/2015/05/05/person-of-interest-season-5-spoilers-machine-rebuilt/

foxtrot3d

Banned

Yo I'm right there with you, the finale is the only episode in a while that got me a little pumped. At some point, despite S3 ending perfectly, S4 just became so "procedural" and the characters Flanderized to hell. I could literally write the dialogue for damn near every opening scene of this season of late:

Reese: Finch, what am I doing here?
Finch: Well, Mr. Reese despite the full time jobs we now have to maintain the numbers keep coming.
Reese: No rest for the wicked?
Finch: Yes, I myself am juggling grading these papers while simultaneously directing your efforts.

*looks down at stack of papers he's grading with a red pen*

Finch: You will not believe the papers these so called English majors turn in, does the word "run-on sentence" not mean anything to these people?
Reese: I see, you have my sympathies. I had no idea your job was so stressful.

*Reese proceeds to knock out a security guard*

Reese: Now can you fill me in on what I'm doing sneaking into a pastry factory?
Finch: Well, the Machine...

*Enter Root wearing a clown costume*

Finch: Ms. Groves why on Earth are you dressed like that?
Root: *smiling* Well, it was Timmy's birthday party and surprisingly unlike other 6 year old boys Timmy isn't afraid of clowns, which is a bit concerning in of itself, anyway well...it's a long story. The point is the Machine helped us get what we needed.
Finch: I see...

*cut back to Reese who has now entered the factory, unfortunately his phone goes off*

Reese: Now's not exactly a good time Fusco.
Fusco: Yeah, well I got two consecutive armed robberies I'm looking at and no partner, you wanna get your ass down here before the Captain screams down my ass. I actually like my job, this ain't no cover for me.
Reese: I'll be there soon, just cover for me.

*Reese spots a line of donuts being made in the pastry factory*

Reese: I'll bring you back a donut if you're nice.
Fusco: Oh yeah, what kind? Because I only like the kind with the cream in the middle and none of that cheap, corn syrup frosting, real sugar.
Reese: I'll see what I can do.

ME: *Barfing up garbage*

It's like everything about the show has become so routine that all the tension is just sapped right out and the characters no longer meaningfully interact with one another. Like, when was the last time Reese and Finch were on screen together just talking regularly, specifically in their hide out? It's mostly them always on mission, usually separated and communicating through ear pieces. They throw a few back and forth jokes, explain to some idiot that they are trying to protect him, separate, and the solve the case of the week before repeating it all over again. The show needs to get back to what made it good and stop retreating back into a procedural show. How can the show feel more procedural now after they had their cover blown to shit in S3?

Samaritan was going to kill Greer at the end right? Samaritan said it wasn't finished and Greer undoubtedly has to be one of the 12.

Sölf

Ahem...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

WHY IS THE SEASON ENDING?!?!? AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom