• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

randomkid

Pretty effing exciting! I can't remember the last time I've actually played a game on "Day 1" meaning the very first day it was available. 2-day shipping and Amazon still somehow got it to me.

Data installing right now, loved both of the intros, first time ever playing, been waiting around a decade to get to play this, feel like a teenager, I'M READY.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
randomkid said:
Pretty effing exciting! I can't remember the last time I've actually played a game on "Day 1" meaning the very first day it was available. 2-day shipping and Amazon still somehow got it to me.

Data installing right now, loved both of the intros, first time ever playing, been waiting around a decade to get to play this, feel like a teenager, I'M READY.

I feel just like you and I just started playing as well :D <3

Gaspode_T said:
Thanks!!! That already helped a little, the little demons with pitchforks came out...I decided to pick boyish girl and "talk with your fist" and they were like "yes ma'am give me more!!" which kind of clicked to me. I can't seem to figure out WTF the L1 ghosts want and actually I'm still not sure what making the contract even does, does it mean you get to go hire them in the club or something? I didn't go into that club place yet but I heard someone talking about it (in the game) as being the place to go for persona training or something like that

I almost wish this was an action game like the SNES Shadowrun engine. That would be so epic. The character art and music is my favorite part so far, and anything isometric gets my love.

P.S. Mucho respect for trying to play this in Japanese!! It would probably be one of the hardest games to play. I've been speaking Japanese since 1997 so I guess the language is okay for me but I can totally see how some cultural norms or expectations would cause issues with this game

Once you've secured a contract with a demon you simply use the same contact method used before to make it happy. The demon will then present some options available to you during that battle. For example, you could ask for an item, or the demon to simply leave the battle. If you strike the demon's interest/eagerness(wtf atlus?) it will give you free cards on top of the normal cards it would give which can then be given to Mr Kaneko-er.. Devil Painter in the Velvet Room. You may attack contracted demons without consequence but if you make a bad contact with the demon you may lose your contract. You can also only have a certain number of contracts active at a time, so you have to manage them well.

cj_iwakura said:
Yes, but I mean for the major in-game events. <edited quote>

The old CGI is still in the game. Some of the old contact command sounds are in the game too. This did not redub Eikichi's singing...

creid

I'm in the first "dungeon" and someone mentioned a rumor about
a demon in the bathroom.
Do I need to run out of the dungeon and try this rumor out, or do I have time? Or is it not a spreadable rumor?

cj_iwakura

creid said:
I'm in the first "dungeon" and someone mentioned a rumor about
a demon in the bathroom.
Do I need to run out of the dungeon and try this rumor out, or do I have time?

You have time, you can spread the rumor as long as you have access to the dungeon, and it'll appear there.

KibblesBits said:
The old CGI is still in the game. Some of the old contact command sounds are in the game too. This did not redub Eikichi's singing...

I think I'm okay with this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KibblesBits said:

I can confirm this. The opening is the new one, but the original (and the translated [real spoiler, guys]
Der Dopplerganger
bit from the fantranslation has been changed as well)is in the "gallery" not sure if you can change it to that opening in the config or whatever.

I will say they didn't redo the CGI and it's a bit pixel-y going from 4:3 to 16:9 on the PSP widescreen. Not bad looking, but playing the fantranslation on a CFW PSP with "normal"-a bit enchanced 4:3 makes the upscale apparent. :/

TheSeks said:
I can confirm this. The opening is the new one, but the original (and the translated [real spoiler, guys]
Der Dopplerganger
bit from the fantranslation has been changed as well)is in the "gallery" not sure if you can change it to that opening in the config or whatever.

The game cycles between the new opening and the classic one if you just turn it on if that is what you're saying. You can view both openings without having to go to the gallery.

randomkid

Jesus Christ this game is so good so far, the music, the vibe, the premise, the Kaneko art (good job transcribing Soejima!), it's like Revelation Persona Plus, the MUSIC, AAAAAAAH!

Did not expect Claire de Lune to show up after a while in the Velvet Room, did not expect enka pharmacy song reinterpretation, did not expect the remix tracks to be so good, have been listening to each track twice in every room, did not expect so much more depth to Persona/fusion reading through the tutorials, haven't even fought my first battle and this is 2011 GOTY AAAAAH SO GOOD.

Just started and the walking speed is so fast! It's as fast as some RPGs' running speed would be.

That principal is one creepy guy; I wonder what he's scheming.

Gaspode_T

I was kind of surprised at how heavy metal the music can be!! Again the game is awesome, reminds me almost of a cyberpunk world especially with the rock singer wannabee kid LOL

I saw PSP Persona 1 today used for 1500 yen...guess I will wait till I finish this one but just kind of curious if that is also worth playing if I like this one.

Teknoman

Gaspode_T said:
I was kind of surprised at how heavy metal the music can be!! Again the game is awesome, reminds me almost of a cyberpunk world especially with the rock singer wannabee kid LOL

Thats what most of the games in the franchise seemed to be until recently. I'd kinda like to see another spin off, rather than them bouncing back and forth between Persona and another main series SMT.

Revive some of this stuff:

http://hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten2.htm

aleph2.jpg
smt2-6.png
ohtsuki-1.png

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
The game cycles between the new opening and the classic one if you just turn it on if that is what you're saying. You can view both openings without having to go to the gallery.

Yeah, and I checked the options menu and you can set it to "Original (4:3), Normal (blown up, IIRC), and Widescreen (the default)" OMG CGI SLIGHTLY PIXELY NOW. CRISIS AVERTED!

(I dunno, there's a bit of compression or did Maya always look like that in the opening?)

That principal is one creepy guy; I wonder what he's scheming.

Oh, he's scheming all right. He (and someone else) are two of the Persona 1 connections in the first five minutes of the game.

creid

From what I remember of Persona 1, getting a Persona to max rank took a long time and didn't seem worth it. Are the rewards worthwhile in P2? It seems like it will still take a ton of time to do each one.

creid said:
From what I remember of Persona 1, getting a Persona to max rank took a long time and didn't seem worth it. Are the rewards worthwhile in P2? It seems like it will still take a ton of time to do each one.

Persona can mutate if you use combo attacks often. Mutation does cool things like grant hidden abilities, cause them to change into different persona (optional) or RANK UP a couple of levels.

KibblesBits said:
Persona can mutate if you use combo attacks often. Mutation does cool things like grant hidden abilities, cause them to change into different persona (optional) or RANK UP a couple of levels.

My problem with P2 EP was that this still took way too long for me. I had to set my game to no animations and auto and would walk away from a battle. Does it take that long with IS?

For some reason, the SMT collector in me wouldn't let me go without this game. So I pre-ordered the physical copy and will keep it sealed. If i ever get a psp or a vita in the future, I guess I will play it then :(

I also have EP PS1 sealed.... should I play that one first or second? Does it matter?

creid

KibblesBits said:
Yeah, this has already happened to me, but I haven't maxed one out yet. Anyone?

TheSeks

DigitalDevil said:
I also have EP PS1 sealed.... should I play that one first or second? Does it matter?

Second. IS is the first in P2's story.

I played a little bit last night, just up to meeting Eikichi. It strikes me as weird how fast and floaty the automap navigation is... I have no problem with the walking speed in and of itself, but it just seems like you *fly* across the automap. It feels disconnected somehow. Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to it.

TheSeks

You only fly across the automap because the arrow/square thing is a bit funky.

creid said:
Yeah, this has already happened to me, but I haven't maxed one out yet. Anyone?

As I've mentioned before in the thread I pretty much crawled inside the game and made a home there on it's first PS1 run. Yes, Persona can take a long time to level up, so always use combos. You have the tools, you have the means. It's not as 'easy' as the newer P3/4 and that's a good thing.

If you max Persona out when you return them you can get rarer spell cards and items.

It may be the freshness and my hype for the game, but the mutations seem to happen more frequently in the PSP version. I don't recall them occurring so frequently at Sevens when I played through on the PS1.

So is there any good place on the net to read a full summary of Persona 1's plot? I got about 25 hours in to the PSP version two years ago before I gave up, and I would really like to know how it ended without ever having to touch the game again.

Also... This game is kind of awesome. Outside of the awkward analog controls (which they should have updated for the PSP) and the slightly bad loading times, great so far.

creid

Anecdotal, but I did in-store pickup at GS for this, and I was told I was the only pre-order. After I bought mine, they only had 1 other copy. Better act fast, people.

TimeKillr

Soooo I love it, but I find the battles take FOREVER. Whoever decided to have slow-moving slide-in/slide-out animations for the menus needs to be shot :(

You could turn off battle animations in EP. Can you in IS? I've looked and can't find it. :(

TimeKillr said:
Soooo I love it, but I find the battles take FOREVER. However decided to have slow-moving slide-in/slide-out animations for the menus needs to be shot :(

You could turn off battle animations in EP. Can you in IS? I've looked and can't find it. :(
I believe it's Start.

So my copy of IS arrived via Amazon and noticed it came in a padded envelope vs. the usual cardboard box. I open it up and the entire box looks like someone stepped on it.

Bleh :\ I like my boxes in non-stepped-on form.

Zwei

Sseklebeast said:
So my copy of IS arrived via Amazon and noticed it came in a padded envelope vs. the usual cardboard box. I open it up and the entire box looks like someone stepped on it.

Shit! Time to return it.

Cheska

Is this game supposed to be a remake or just a port to the PSP? Because if it's a port, I really don't see any issues with the graphics. I installed the game, and loading times havent been tremendously bad either. I'm fairly early on in the game, but it seems rather enjoyable so far.

Cheska said:
Is this game supposed to be a remake or just a port to the PSP? Because if it's a port, I really don't see any issues with the graphics. I installed the game, and loading times havent been tremendously bad either. I'm fairly early on in the game, but it seems rather enjoyable so far.
Still oddly bad, though, for a port of a PSone game.

And it's an enhanced port.

Paznos

Sseklebeast said:

Also got my copy from Amazon and while it's not as bad as yours the box does have a couple of little dents/creases.

randomkid

Oh yeah, wanted to ask, are there choices in this game that lock you out of content like in the first Persona? (as in, lock you from future dungeons and characters). Just a yes or no answer please as I'm in mega-spoiler avoidance mode (barely read anything in this thread and too scared to try Gamefaqs).

atomsk

Party Pooper
creid said:
Anecdotal, but I did in-store pickup at GS for this, and I was told I was the only pre-order. After I bought mine, they only had 1 other copy. Better act fast, people.

The shipping method for your order is Super Saver Shipping. With this shipping option, we fulfill your order in a more cost-efficient way. This allows us to pass our savings on to you in the form of free shipping. While it might take some extra time to pack and ship
your order, you'll still receive it within the estimated delivery time frame.

Goddammit Amazon, don't fuck me on this I swear

randomkid said:
Oh yeah, wanted to ask, are there choices in this game that lock you out of content like in the first Persona? (as in, lock you from future dungeons and characters). Just a yes or no answer please as I'm in mega-spoiler avoidance mode (barely read anything in this thread and too scared to try Gamefaqs).

Nothing as extreme as missing characters or dungeons, but stuff is missable.

cj_iwakura

Mr. Wonderful said:
So is there any good place on the net to read a full summary of Persona 1's plot? I got about 25 hours in to the PSP version two years ago before I gave up, and I would really like to know how it ended without ever having to touch the game again.

I'll try my best.

President of SEBEC, Kandori, tries to summon demons for power. Things go to hell in a handbasket. Meanwhile, a hospitalized girl's desire for freedom tears the world in two. Eventually you set things right by taking out Kandori, then if you get the true ending, bringing Maki's torn personality back together.

SQQ takes place during the SEBEC Quest: a fairy tale about the Snow Queen becomes reality and freezes the school. You go and rescue some of the minor characters in the plot, who get a bigger role, and find some small connections to the SEBEC Quest along the way.

That's the cliff note's version, but there's really more to it. You should get back to it again.

The main things you could possibly want for Persona 2 relate to

The vice-principal of Persona 2, Hannya(who's a dick), and Ms. Saeko. They both appear in P2. Some P1 characters do as well, but not as many as in P2:EP.

Also, get! I'll dive into it shortly.

Eusis

It probably helps that the most significant tie-ins you can probably appreciate with just, I dunno, 5-10 hours of gameplay. Don't think I ran into a single returning character in EP who wasn't present in that time frame, or notably shorter.

cj_iwakura

Eusis said:
It probably helps that the most significant tie-ins you can probably appreciate with just, I dunno, 5-10 hours of gameplay. Don't think I ran into a single returning character in EP who wasn't present in that time frame, or notably shorter.

To be fair, you can finish half the game in that time. It's not a very long game.

Got it today, and shockingly in pretty good condition, too. Amazon must be learning not to package fragile special editions in bubble mailers anymore. Looking forward to this one, although I still have Persona PSP to beat, and I figure I need to do that because it might be hard to go back to it after this. It was hard to play after P3 and P4, but it has been a while, so I will give it another go.

TheSeks

NichM said:
Think "default" rather than "official." We had to put something there.

I renamed it "Ta-kun" seemed more "boyish"/male than "Tat-chan." Then again, I guess that's
what Jun would call him

Speaking of which, has there ever been a canon decision on
who Tatsuya chooses as a "relationship?"
IIRC, one of the Japanese/Atlus devs said
Jun was it
?

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
I renamed it "Ta-kun" seemed more "boyish"/male than "Tat-chan." Then again, I guess that's
what Jun would call him

Speaking of which, has there ever been a canon decision on
who Tatsuya chooses as a "relationship?"
IIRC, one of the Japanese/Atlus devs said
Jun was it
?

That's the going rumor.

MayaxTatsu for life. :(

Oh fine, Katsuya works too.

NichM

Banned
Never been wild, personally speaking, about the idea of canon endings/choices in any of the SMT games or spinoffs.

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
That's the going rumor.

MayaxTatsu for life. :(

Oh fine, Katsuya works too.

Noooooo you're telling me that developer is
the joker all along!

Atlus did it right.

Sure. But for a nickname, I think -kun for a school-age (even if high-school) seems to fit better for a boy. I forget the honoriffics, but isn't -chan mostly used for girls of school-age?

cj_iwakura

NichM said:
Never been wild, personally speaking, about the idea of canon endings/choices in any of the SMT games or spinoffs.

SMT1's the only one where they made one absolutely canon, I think, going by SMT2.

I like to think True Demon is canon in 3, but YMMV.
Though you'd think Lucy would use a general like that more often.

TheSeks said:
Noooooo you're telling me that developer is
the joker all along!

Sure. But for a nickname, I think -kun for a school-age (even if high-school) seems to fit better for a boy. I forget the honoriffics, but isn't -chan mostly used for girls of school-age?

You're relying to much on the 'rule' versus the situation for lack of better words. As you progress you will see why it is appropriate that everyone calls him Ta-Chan.

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
You're relying to much on the 'rule' versus the situation for lack of better words. As you progress you will see why it is appropriate that everyone calls him Ta-Chan.

*shrug* Going from the fan translation to this is a bit of a change. No honorifics in the fan translation so I just put my name in for his nickname there. I forget, there's only...
five places it's used anyway? and they are all end-game-point anyway
?

NichM

Banned
TheSeks said:
*shrug* Going from the fan translation to this is a bit of a change. No honorifics in the fan translation so I just put my name in for his nickname there. I forget, there's only...
five places it's used anyway? and they are all end-game-point anyway
?

Tony, for whatever reason, regularly calls you by your nickname. I have no idea how he even knows it.

Top Bottom