• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

NichM said:
Tony, for whatever reason, regularly calls you by your nickname. I have no idea how he even knows it.

He's in the mob. He knows everything.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say that about him. It's just a rumor.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Still oddly bad, though, for a port of a PSone game.

And it's an enhanced port.

yeah, 'oddly' is the perfect way to describe it - not sure why it's there (it just seems sloppy), & it's my only criticism of the game...

cj_iwakura

At least they kept the music playing during transitions, unlike Lunar PSP. That was just abyssal.

Also, I now fully agree that Tatsuya makes a better silent protagonist than Maya. I can picture him just going around not giving a damn. Whereas Maya, she'd be all 'oh hi, can I interview you!?' to every person in sight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, I forget. Does
choosing an answer in "do you know what you want to do after high-school from Saeko
affect anything?

Ainaurdur

In my impatience and excitement while still waiting for my copy of P2:IS to arrive, I went ahead and ordered new copies of Nocturne and P3:FES. Was mildly concerned that it may just be more difficult to get them later on.

Still intend to play them in original release order: P2:IS > Nocturne > P3:FES

cj_iwakura

Lesiroth said:
There's actually voice acting in this game? I didn't think there was.

Yep, incidental mostly. At the beginning of major boss fights, in battle, contacts, and key bosses talk(voice acted!) when you try to Contact them.

Lesiroth

cj_iwakura said:
Yep, incidental mostly. At the beginning of major boss fights, in battle, contacts, and key bosses talk(voice acted!) when you try to Contact them.
I see, that's a nice touch I guess. Can't wait to get my hands on the game!

TheSeks

Man, the joker don't mess around. Poor guys. :(
Do we ever find out what happens to them after we beat the Joker/recruit Jun and beat the big-bad? I think they're kinda forgotten after we leave the Prison. :/

cj_iwakura

I really like the remixed OST so far. The instrumentation is nicely done.

I still need to confirm if the Velvet Room renditions were all remixed or not. I hear it's just Aria of the Soul in every district for the remix. (It's different everywhere in the original.)

Also, having finished the fan translation: this translation really adds the extra layer of polish I hoped for. It's not just translated, it's localized. Even if you did play that version, get this one. It's so worth it.

By the by: was it ever confirmed that Toro married Ayase? I heard that somewhere.

Teknoman

cj_iwakura said:
I really like the remixed OST so far. The instrumentation is nicely done.

I still need to confirm if the Velvet Room renditions were all remixed or not. I hear it's just Aria of the Soul in every district for the remix. (It's different everywhere in the original.)

Also, having finished the fan translation: this translation really adds the extra layer of polish I hoped for. It's not just translated, it's localized. Even if you did play that version, get this one. It's so worth it.

By the by: was it ever confirmed that Toro married Ayase? I heard that somewhere.

Well if you hang around, the theme changes.

TheSeks said:
Man, the joker don't mess around. Poor guys. :(
Do we ever find out what happens to them after we beat the Joker/recruit Jun and beat the big-bad? I think they're kinda forgotten after we leave the Prison. :/

It (the one responsible) tells you what happens to them.

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
It (the one responsible) tells you what happens to them.

I don't recall that conversation, but it's been a two+ year gap since I played the fan translation.

Sorry if someone has asked/answered this question before, but what are the odds that eternal punishment gets psp-ified as well?

I am not sure I want to play half of persona 2 - even if innocent sin has closure (i am not sure if it does).

TheSeks

harriet the spy said:
Sorry if someone has asked/answered this question before, but what are the odds that eternal punishment gets psp-ified as well?

I am not sure I want to play half of persona 2 - even if innocent sin has closure (i am not sure if it does).

At this point, unlikely. It may become a PSP2/Vita release, kinda like Disgaea 3 is (I was calling for a D3 re-release on PSP for two years now since D1/2 were ported pretty quickly).

Then again, the engine is already there. It's a matter of simply porting the PSX stuff over. But you'd probably be more likely to get the PSX version of EP (even if it's "early Atlus but not P1 early-Atlus translated") on PSN at this point.

TheSeks said:
At this point, unlikely. It may become a PSP2/Vita release, kinda like Disgaea 3 is (I was calling for a D3 re-release on PSP for two years now since D1/2 were ported pretty quickly).

Then again, the engine is already there. It's a matter of simply porting the PSX stuff over. But you'd probably be more likely to get the PSX version of EP (even if it's "early Atlus but not P1 early-Atlus translated") on PSN at this point.

damn. the ps1 game is still very very expensive to buy at this point. I wish they'd at least release on psn.

i had always wanted to play it, but it never came out in my country and i didn't import back then.

do you get a decent closure from innocent sin at least?

cj_iwakura

harriet the spy said:
damn. the ps1 game is still very very expensive to buy at this point. I wish they'd at least release on psn.

i had always wanted to play it, but it never came out in my country and i didn't import back then.

do you get a decent closure from innocent sin at least?

No. Not even close.

I think it's way too early to rule out EP on the PSP. The Vita won't be out outside of Japan until probably next Spring at the earliest, and you have to remember this is a company that was still releasing PS2 games in the west as late as 2009. It would be a super-niche release, but Atlus is definitely a company that can make small prints profitable.

Put another way, I see a Japanese release of EP as being very likely, and if that happens to be correct then I think odds are good that we'd get it too.

TheSeks

RomanticHeroX said:
Put another way, I see a Japanese release of EP as being very likely, and if that happens to be correct then I think odds are good that we'd get it too.

IS' been out in Japan for nearly a year most of the year. There's been no news about an EP remake announcement. As much as I and some P2 fans would love for Atlus to do it, I feel it really isn't in the cards with the PSP's twilight months left for the rest of the world.

You're right in that Atlus is able to release things long after the platform is dead, but the PSP in the US/EU is a desert in terms of sales and the like. We're just lucky Atlus US had kindness to even bother to translate and sell IS in the US given it's a PSP title. :/

So can anyone briefly explain the difference between this and say...the original North American release on psx? Was Innocent Sin a semi-sequel we didn't get here in the states? Is any of this new PSP release related to that old game?

Sorry for the ignorance, but this has always confused me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Trying to go through thread carefully to avoid spoilers but general question.

I LOVED Persona 3/Persona 4.

I hated devil summoner due to the characters/story, and barely got anywhere in strange journey.

I also bailed on persona 1 remake early because the facepaint guy, and then Japanese girl who looked like an oompaloompa/jersey shore esque thing and just don't enjoy first person dungeon crawling/demon negotiations.

Where do you think I'd fall on Persona 2 psp?

If I didn't play persona 1 am I missing anything story wise?

If I play this and the sequel never gets localized and released will I go crazy?

TheSeks

LuchaShaq said:
Trying to go through thread carefully to avoid spoilers but general question.

I LOVED Persona 3/Persona 4.

I hated devil summoner due to the characters/story, and barely got anywhere in strange journey.

I also bailed on persona 1 remake early because the facepaint guy, and then Japanese girl who looked like an oompaloompa/jersey shore esque thing and just don't enjoy first person dungeon crawling/demon negotiations.

Where do you think I'd fall on Persona 2 psp?

If I didn't play persona 1 am I missing anything story wise?

If I play this and the sequel never gets localized and released will I go crazy?

P2 is third person and more like a traditional JRPG, so expect a high encounter rate.

No, there is loose links to P1, but nothing important.

Uh... Eternal Punishment got localized and released... in 1999... for the PSX. :| Pray Atlus releases that on PSN or starts work on EP's "remake" since the engine is there thanks to IS.

DidntKnowJack said:
So can anyone briefly explain the difference between this and say...the original North American release on psx? Was Innocent Sin a semi-sequel we didn't get here in the states? Is any of this new PSP release related to that old game?

Persona 2 is a game separated into two halves. Innocent Sin is the first half, and the one that never came here in the PSOne era. Eternal Punishment is the second half, which we got, and already has a pretty solid localization. Without getting into spoiler territory, each game happens in kind of a parallel universe situation, taking place in the same location and featuring mostly the same cast. They're meant to be played together, IS followed by EP.

vall03

dammit! why are the maps designed like that! Im getting ocd just mapping the dungeons which doesn't really have any benefit lol

also, too many loading screens but its not that bad though since they're really quick

Eusis

vall03 said:
also, too many loading screens but its not that bad though since they're really quick
I think they mainly stand out at all because of the corner animations. If we just had a black screen they'd be way less noticeable, I'm sure.
cj_iwakura said:
To be fair, you can finish half the game in that time. It's not a very long game.
Are you seriously saying completing
Sebec HQ
is half the game, or did I just procrastinate like crazy? Or is it more like "half the story, with a few excessively long dungeons afterwards"? Because, damn, it always seemed like it was actually a hugeass game.

Thoraxes

DidntKnowJack said:

From what I understand (someone please correct me if i'm wrong so I don't give this person wrong information):

P2 is two games = IS and EP.
NA only got EP ever.
IS is here for the first time from ATLUS on the PSP.

Many have imported/patched IS with unofficial fan translation patches which is why some know the game without it ever being released here in English.

EP is essentially a sequel (due to how EP approaches the storyline for MANY different reasons), and both games together form the whole that is P2.

Also order is IS -> EP. IS is basically the first whole half of P2 that was never seen in NA.

Eusis

You got it right more or less. The story worked in a way that EP could be released alone, IIRC this is a factor in why it was localized but not IS since it'd be better to see the conclusion rather than be left hanging. Real spoilers, but not too indepth:
in some ways it even worked better because our perspective was closer to the non-Tatsuya characters, where everything was going weird and they really had no idea why this was the case.

Ryuukan

If you desire fool cards, and are willing to cheat for them, I converted these from 2ch:

_S ULUS-10584
_G Persona 2 Innocent Sin [US]
_C0 FOOL OPEN
_L 0x7063B298 0x00000001
_C0 Tarot Fool 10
_L 0x1063AFE4 0x0000000A

This will give you 10 Fool cards.

I'm not fond of cheating except when you are dealing with just a tiny random chance of success to gain something unique.

Ryuukan said:
If you desire fool cards, and are willing to cheat for them, I converted these from 2ch:

_S ULUS-10584
_G Persona 2 Innocent Sin [US]
_C0 FOOL OPEN
_L 0x7063B298 0x00000001
_C0 Tarot Fool 10
_L 0x1063AFE4 0x0000000A

This will give you 10 Fool cards.

I'm not fond of cheating except when you are dealing with just a tiny random chance of success to gain something unique.

Once you've unlocked fool cards the chances of getting them increases substantially. I'm also going to go ahead and say that I think the drop rates and mutation rates for items and persona respectively have been increased from the PS1 print.

I will also say that while I was working with Dolies on the games I discovered the fool codes for gameshark but she refused to put them up. I don't really care that they're here but at least try to get them normally. They're locked away for a reason. The Fool class in P2 along with Minor Arcana are SUPER strong.

Cheska

So what's the best way of approaching the battle system? Do you just want to make contact with every demon and get the best possible outcome, and then fight as a last resort?

Cheska said:
So what's the best way of approaching the battle system? Do you just want to make contact with every demon and get the best possible outcome, and then fight as a last resort?

Take it on a case by case basis. Battles for me usually went through a series of checks and such. Do you have enough spell cards? Do you have enough tarot cards? Do you want an item, or for a demon to spread or give info on a rumor? Can you reasonably beat the demons if the contact goes sour? Do you need exp or cash? How close to death are you? Etc.

Make it your game. There is no right way to play, but there are things that you can do to make it easier.

If you're not interested in all of that, just beat the crap out of the demons with any fusion spells you've picked up. You can get pretty far with just the starting persona.

TheSeks

Once you've unlocked fool cards the chances of getting them increases substantially. I'm also going to go ahead and say that I think the drop rates and mutation rates for items and persona respectively have been increased from the PS1 print.

I think they've been increased as well. Didn't Persona 1 (and IS PSX) normally only give one card per contact? I've gotten 3/4 per contact from the first dungeon so far.

I also need to start to figure out the contracts, though I doubt they're super useful until later.

Also stats to break Tatsuya, pleases? I jack-of-all-traded him last time I played but I heard luck is useless and can be jumped up with a Persona very fast and should focus on... forgetting. I've been updating his vit and sp every level and putting one point into STR (once he hits level 4 he's going get a bonus there as well).

Yes, I'm slow and have been busy. Sue me. :(

cj_iwakura

I made him into a physical beast, but I've been called crazy. He does crazy damage with that sword of his.

So I say go STR++/VIT+. Or something like that. Don't neglect his magic stat, but I focused on STR first.

TheSeks said:
I think they've been increased as well. Didn't Persona 1 (and IS PSX) normally only give one card per contact? I've gotten 3/4 per contact from the first dungeon so far.

I also need to start to figure out the contracts, though I doubt they're super useful until later.

Also stats to break Tatsuya, pleases? I jack-of-all-traded him last time I played but I heard luck is useless and can be jumped up with a Persona very fast and should focus on... forgetting. I've been updating his vit and sp every level and putting one point into STR (once he hits level 4 he's going get a bonus there as well).

Yes, I'm slow and have been busy. Sue me. :(

No, the amount of cards received from demons is based on demon level. It just seems like they're more likely to give their special item if they have one or drop items upon defeat. It was never so easy IIRC.

Contacting and Contracting is critical. It's easier when you have a full team to work with and everyone starts to work together.

I can't advise you on Tatsuya's stats, that's a choice you need to make. You can also use other persona to effect which stat increases on lvl up. I currently have Poltergeist on Tatsuya for that reason.

You may be slow but I'm moving slower. My game has 5 hours already and I'm still in Sevens. ;D

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
No, the amount of cards received from demons is based on demon level. It just seems like they're more likely to give their special item if they have one or drop items upon defeat. It was never so easy IIRC.

Contacting and Contracting is critical. It's easier when you have a full team to work with and everyone starts to work together.

Weird. I don't recall IS PSX giving me a bunch of cards and it felt like a chore grinding at times for them.

Yes, contracting is critical to end random battles without overleveling/out of SP and want to get past. But I haven't seen much use for them otherwise in Persona 1 and 2. :/

cj_iwakura said:
I made him into a physical beast, but I've been called crazy. He does crazy damage with that sword of his.

True. But does Luck actually affect anything other than like fusions?

TheSeks

Teknoman said:
So its better to just negotiate with higher level demons, and just focus on ranking/leveling up early on?

A little of both. IIRC there is no "compendium" like P3/P4 where highest rank is able to be kept. So you want to use your default personas (for instance) to rank up quickly to get their items (either incense or skills) to use in a new fusion. But to get a new fusion, you need to get tarot/free tarot cards to use to fuse.

Also I agree that free Tarots are flowing like water here. I've got about 6-12 just in Seven Sisters right now. I don't recall getting them so early in the fan translation.

Also breaking the pacts by fucking up negation sucks. I don't recall getting a "hey, we're in a pact! See ya! *leaves to let me do battle with whatever is left*" moment yet. :/

Ricker

Still early on,I`m doing the emblem stuff but just to make sure,when you finally make a pact with the demons,it doesn`t do anything for the other times you meet them in battle ?....like in Strange Journey I think,they said,oh you already are friend with my sister or something like that and you didn`t have to fight them....?

EDIT: ok just saw the post above me now hehe...

creid

cj_iwakura said:
You have time, you can spread the rumor as long as you have access to the dungeon, and it'll appear there.
I think this was misleading information. I finished the dungeon and I don't see the rumor in the Kuzunoha Agency's list any more. So it would've been more helpful to know that I don't have access to the dungeon for very long? I haven't tried getting back to that dungeon.

creid said:
I think this was misleading information. I finished the dungeon and I don't see the rumor in the Kuzunoha Agency's list any more. So it would've been more helpful to know that I don't have access to the dungeon for very long? I haven't tried getting back to that dungeon.

The reward is stupid anyhow. It's more to prepare you for how rumor demons work.

Credo

TheSeks said:
Also I agree that free Tarots are flowing like water here. I've got about 6-12 just in Seven Sisters right now. I don't recall getting them so early in the fan translation.

You're right about free tarots. In the dungeon I just got out of,
Mu in the Yumezaki area
, I was getting 15 free tarots and 20 hermit tarots from each successful contact with Nekomata. I've got 412 total already.

creid

I was so close to liking the Contact system in this game. Once I've figured out the right contact option I write it down, but they usually interrupt me with questions. My choice of answers is usually

Something nice -> You're lying! I'm mad!
Something mean -> What a jerk! I'm mad! (often, these are the only 2 choices)
Something silly -> What?!? I'm scared...

And of course this stuff is too much to write down, so even if I do find a good response, I won't remember it the next time. I haaaaate demon contacting and can't wait until it is completely extinct.

Credo

creid said:
I was so close to liking the Contact system in this game. Once I've figured out the right contact option I write it down, but they usually interrupt me with questions. My choice of answers is usually

Something nice -> You're lying! I'm mad!
Something mean -> What a jerk! I'm mad! (often, these are the only 2 choices)
Something silly -> What?!? I'm scared...

And of course this stuff is too much to write down, so even if I do find a good response, I won't remember it the next time. I haaaaate demon contacting and can't wait until it is completely extinct.

Completely agree. I'm fine with them ending up scared since they normally quit their line of questioning after that, but it ends up with an I'm mad response no matter what you say WAY too often. And after they get pissed, it ends up in a downward spiral of them asking more questions with responses that will result in only more anger. I'm glad Persona 3 & 4 did away with it.

Top Bottom